Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I didn't notice at first, but that is interesting, is that, as with any major Peddie-related announcement, Tanenbaum was completely AWOL yesterday (aside from the fact that he was quoted in the press release).

Which is sort of odd, it's the Chairman's job to gush over the new hire, deal with the question of the new reporting relationships, etc (the MLSE self-coronation thing, where the CEO/President discusses his corporate responsibilities, his own job security, etc, is not something you ever see anywhere else). The National Post story kind of conspicuously noted that Tanenbaum wasn't available for comment.

Larry never did it for Peddie because he couldn't stand Peddie (and therefore, I can never really go after Larry, he has a clue). I never thought Anselmi would be Larry's choice, because Anselmi was a Peddie-ite (jeez, that sounds vaguely illegal!) ...

So could this be a sign of a rift in the unholy tripartite alliance, right out of the gate?
    *rubs hands together and smiles, because what else is there to talk about?*

yours in fomenting conspiracy theories
    ensco
    (often wrong, but never in doubt)
    Last edited by ensco; 09-05-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know Scumbag Steve? Well, meet Turdbag Tom:

You're welcome!

Want to create your own Turdbag Tom meme? Here's a blank:

Have at 'er and go nuts!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been working on a cocktail called Grounds For Divorce.

Cheers, Tom.

You can raise one to The Seldom Seen Kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how or when, but if history serves as any guide, all this convergence we're seeing in the sector will eventually go in the other direction. Seems like everyone who tries to control content eventually has it slip right through their fingers.

In my fantasy world, Hulu, google, and Netflix turn bell and rogers into blockbuster video... but i digress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't know how or when, but if history serves as any guide, all this convergence we're seeing in the sector will eventually go in the other direction. Seems like everyone who tries to control content eventually has it slip right through their fingers.

In my fantasy world, Hulu, google, and Netflix turn bell and rogers into blockbuster video... but i digress.
    Sure, but then Hulu, Google and Netflix will just start acting like Bell and Rogers....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Sure, but then Hulu, Google and Netflix will just start acting like Bell and Rogers....
    How cyclical.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netflix acts like yahoo

Google acts like Apple circa 1990

Hulu acts like napster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chatting with my friend who's a rangers supporter and we came up with a tune

Welcome Owners
    Toronto's Owners
    No one likes you
    You don't care
    We hate Tommy
    Corporate bastard
    and we'll hate him forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    How cyclical.
    Just like sports!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to see this today. He would be at the top of any sports conglomerate's list of candidates for the President job. Maybe even a CEO job.

http://nyti.ms/TXE1nD
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Interesting to see this today. He would be at the top of any sports conglomerate's list of candidates for the President job. Maybe even a CEO job.

http://nyti.ms/TXE1nD
    Sounds great...but I don't follow the NBA anymore. Did the Knicks win while he was there or just make money? Because Tom A. makes money (although this guy sounds great at leveraging support.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I have no idea if he's any good or not. I have absolutely no reason to say this has anything to do with MLSE. But there's an unfilled hole here.

I just think it's interesting the way this laid out. Bogers had to announce something, so they did. But face it, Bogers dribbled the ball at centre court on this. The whole scenario may not have played out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ There has to be more coming. Remember, Bell is still in the middle of its takeover of Astral (a bigger deal - more money, anyway - than the purchase of MLSE) and there is a little opposition, at least.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    I think he's more of a fan of Parma in the 90's and the Parmalat company. I think in the end he wants his team to imulate that relationship that the team had with the company and the publicity of having your company on the team shirt being shown accross North America and beyond.
    great concept....and then the company also wants to make the team BETTER
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damien Cox confirms what BR and I say above. This hasn't played out yet. The CEO search continues. There will [pick one] possibly/probably/likely ... be a new CEO.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...igue-unfolding

Caveat: even though we generally agree in this case, I find Cox to be a gasbag utterly beholden to his precious insider sources. In this case Larry. Cox's "assertion" that Tanenbaum would have given the CEO title to Anselmi can only have come from Tanenbaum, and is implausible. If Tanenbaum told him that, Larry would have reasons that don't necessarily have to do with the truth.

The scenario of bringing in a new CEO but leaving Anselmi in place, drives me nuts. It's, once again, forcing a new hire to accept subordinates, instead of picking his own team.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-07-2012 at 06:58 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It will be interesting to see how this plays out. That will say a lot more about future direction than Anselmi's promotion.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ^ It will be interesting to see how this plays out. That will say a lot more about future direction than Anselmi's promotion.
    Except that we now know that a new guy, if any, will be forced to work with Anselmi, and it's impossible to imagine Anselmi losing control of TFC in that scenario (the obvious focus of the CEO has to be the Leafs and Raps).

So the one and only thing we do know is that our poor little soccer team is effed for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-07-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Except that we now know that a new guy, if any, will be forced to work with Anselmi, and it's impossible to imagine Anselmi losing control of TFC in that scenario (the obvious focus of the CEO has to be the Leafs and Raps).

So the one and only thing we do know is that our poor little soccer team is effed for the foreseeable future.

Until it's sold off. Seriously, Belgers now owns the content that people are actually watching. They don't have to bid on it. What % of watched content does TFC provide compared to Leafs/Raps? They could bring in big advertising bucks for Leafs/Raps and use TFC as a lesser priced ad time or just turf it since it will start to lose money in the next few years if they keep going the way they are price/losses wise.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TearsForCheers View Post
    I view it as bad. People think he'll be more removed from TFC, but the problem is Tom will have responsibility for appointing someone to head up the TFC operation in his place. What is the one area where Tom has made the most damaging decisions over his time with TFC? Hiring. He has made decisions with respect to 7 coaches, whether those decisions were to hire, fire or extend, and I don't see too many good decisions in there. So there's nothing to make me feel good about him appointing his replacement.
    This bothers me. I am very scared it could be accurate.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed