Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ML$E's *new* board of directors & CEO

ML$E has unveiled their new board of directors it includes some very interesting choices:

http://www.mlse.com/inside_mlse/board_of_directors.aspx

LARRY TENENBAUM (Chair) - he gets here by virtue of being one of the 3 shareholders of ML$E, and was no surprise. he also is a neutral party between Bell and Rogers.

DALE LASTMAN - another neutral party, he is the lawyer on the board (every major board needs one). He is also partner and co-chair of Goodmans LLP. He is on all kinds of boards.

NADIR MOHAMED - Rogers CEO, he is an accountant by background. he is reportedly a very smart guy.

GEORGE A COPE - Bell's CEO, he holds a business degree.

EDWARD ROGERS III - Rogers Vice-CEO, he handles strategic planning, mergers and acquisitions

MARY ANN TURCKE - the most surprising choice, she is a civil engineer who has worked for the MTO and several railroads, and also spent some time being an executive with some software/outsourcing firms. Now she leads Bell's services to small and medium businesses.

The Bell and Rogers appointees are very smart people who have gone far in business. What's missing? Someone who knows anything directly about sports.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ML$E has unveiled their new board of directors it includes some very interesting choices:

LARRY TENENBAUM (Chair) - he gets here by virtue of being one of the 3 shareholders of ML$E, and was no surprise. he also is a neutral party between Bell and Rogers.

DALE LASTMAN - another neutral party, he is the lawyer on the board (every major board needs one). He is also partner and co-chair of Goodmans LLP. He is on all kinds of boards.

NADIR MOHAMED - Rogers CEO, he is an accountant by background. he is reportedly a very smart guy.

EDWARD ROGERS III - Rogers Vice-CEO, he handles strategic planning, mergers and acquisitions

MARY ANN TURCKE - the most surprising choice, she is a civil engineer who has worked for the MTO and several railroads, and also spent some time being an executive with some software/outsourcing firms. Now she leads Bell's services to small and medium businesses.

The Bell and Rogers appointees are very smart people who have gone far in business. What's missing? Someone who knows anything directly about sports.
    Was that released today Oldtimer?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In fairness though, are you really going to get someone with enough knowledge to be helpful in all 3 sports? Tannenbaum has a sports media company doesn't he?
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-04-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't really expect direct "sports people" to be named to their Board of Directors.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't it be nice to have knowledge in any of the sports involved?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Was that released today Oldtimer?

Dunno when, probably today, it quietly went up on their website without much notice.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-04-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I didn't really expect direct "sports people" to be named to their Board of Directors.

- Scott
    They don't need to be sports people. Either they should understand the sports industry, or be smart enough to appoint someone good who does.

The good side is that Bogers cares enough about ML$E to put top people on the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm most interested in Mary Ann Turcke - female engineers have it harder clumb up the corporate ladder than most. She must be very competent. I have a feeling she'll be the one to watch out for.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to have knowledge in any of the sports involved?
    Some of them do have sports knowledge (Tanenbaum is a big basketball fan reportedly), but it isn't shocking at all that they haven't named specific sports people to their corporation's Board of Directors. That isn't really what the corporate board is for, particularly when you consider that their "portfolio" consists of far more than just their sports teams.

All I care about is whether they are smart enough to leave the sports decisions to good sports people.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't need to be sports people. Either they should understand the sports industry, or be smart enough to appoint someone good who does.

The good side is that Bogers cares enough about ML$E to put top people on the board.
    Well, Nadir and LT certainly have a pretty good working knowledge of the sports industry. Can't speak much for the rest, though Bell obviously also own TSN.

- Scott

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Board's activities as stipulated in the company bylaws are more important to me than the people on it. For example, most boards are generally tasked with hiring the CEO, mergers, acquisitions, etc. They are not generally involved in the day-to-day business dealings. That is the job of the CEO and their team. I'd be very interested to know what decisions this group would be involved in. With MLSE being sports business, the activities of the board could be quite different than that of a traditional corporation.

What will be interesting is if this board shifts its focus from solely on profits to a philosophy that must include winning titles/championships along with profit. In other words, if we hire a CEO, it's not enough for that CEO to just make shareholders profit. We want profit and wins. Fail on that account and you're gone for someone who can. Maybe not at the CEO level, but that could be brought down to the Presidents of each one of the sports enterprises.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm most interested in Mary Ann Turcke - female engineers have it harder clumb up the corporate ladder than most. She must be very competent. I have a feeling she'll be the one to watch out for.
    Me too, especially as she is more junior than anyone else on the board. It raises the question: Did she have some special quality that led to her appointment? (My unrealistic dream is that she is a rabid TFC fan who's biggest dream is to have us win the MLS Cup and the CCL, and George Cope added her for that reason ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw it tweeted that Anslemi was named COO of MLSE. Sounds like a big job that won't leave him enough time to be President of TFC.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw it tweeted that Anslemi was named COO of MLSE. Sounds like a big job that won't leave him enough time to be President of TFC.
    One can only hope.....let's hope they keep him away from TFC......at least more distant.
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TOM ANSELMI APPOINTED PRESIDENT AND COO
    OF MAPLE LEAF SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Larry Tanenbaum, Chairman of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) announced Tuesday that Tom Anselmi has been appointed President and Chief Operating Officer of MLSE, effective immediately.

“Tom’s proven strength in operations has made him a respected leader here at MLSE and across the sports and entertainment industry,” said Tanenbaum. “His passion for our teams and our fans makes Tom the perfect choice as President and COO of this great organization.”

In his new role, Anselmi oversees all MLSE operations, and reports in the interim to the MLSE Board through the Chair.

“I'm honoured to be appointed President and COO of one of the premier sports and entertainment organizations in the world,” said Anselmi. “The opportunities for MLSE are limitless, and it all starts with a focus on building winning teams, strengthening our relationship with fans, and enhancing our positive impact in the community.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest it's a good thing. He's unlikely to be involved in TFC's direct running. They'll have to hire someone most likely.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd suggest it's a good thing. He's unlikely to be involved in TFC's direct running. They'll have to hire someone most likely.
    Most likely is something that TFC tends to shy away from......

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    What other responsibilities did Anselmi have other than TFC?

I mean they promote who has failed? (Unless he was extremely successful in other endeavors in conjunction with TFC.)
    I thought he had hands in the condo development...but I could be wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow how do you promote someone who has basically helped killed TFC with his incompetence in hiring GM/Coaches. This is unbelievable.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean they promote who has failed? (Unless he was extremely successful in other endeavors in conjunction with TFC.)
    Wasn't he fail-ING? He han't failed. TFC was still turning a profit albeit a marginal one but it you compare that with league standard = success.

But I'm not trying to say I enjoy the fact that the overlords have such terrible standards...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know that you can say he failed. He succeeded in most ways that count to a company running a sports business. He got the team up and running when most said soccer couldn't succeed in Toronto. Was part of getting the stadium build. Got the academy and training facility built. Has one of the biggest fan bases in MLS (for now at least). Arguably he did a lot of good.

Where he failed obviously was on the pitch. Hopefully he relinquished that control with this move and let's some new thinking in that can better deal with the team's on-field success.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anselmi getting the job means ML$E status quo. Too bad. I can't see him staying too involved in TFC though, but whether he appoints someone competent, or maybe makes Jim Brennan President is yet to be seen.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“I'm honoured to be appointed President and COO of one of the premier sports and entertainment organizations in the world,” said Anselmi. “The opportunities for MLSE are limitless, and it all starts with a focus on building winning teams, strengthening our relationship with fans, and enhancing our positive impact in the community.
    like Tom knows how to do any of that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initially TFC was looked as the standard of how to build an expansion franchise, especially off the field.

But right now TFC is being used as the standard of how not to run a franchise.
    But really, TFC was an example of someone being born on third base and thinking they hit a triple. They really did almost nothing right, it just took a few years to show up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't want the board to run the teams on a day to day basis. They need to hire team presidents charged with the responsibility of building successful (in both the commercial and competitive senses) teams. If this board chooses not to do that, and instead TA tries to run everything from his desk as COO, things might not ever improve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that was the case then I can see why.

I knew Anselmi was the next in line. But if his major portfolio was TFC, oh boy.
    I'm pretty sure Anselmi has been the COO of MLSE all along - they are just making him President now too. Almost positive McCown has introduced him as the COO of MLSE on his show more than once.

- Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    But really, TFC was an example of someone being born on third base and thinking they hit a triple. They really did almost nothing right, it just took a few years to show up.
    Pretty much.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure Anselmi has been the COO of MLSE all along - they are just making him President now too. Almost positive McCown has introduced him as the COO of MLSE on his show more than once.

- Scott

you are correct.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Scott
    That's how it's written in the TSN article, references how he was the VP and COO right after saying he's now the Pres and COO.

Regardless, we better see someone else on top of the TFC pyramid or we're straight fucked to infinity and beyond.