Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pre/In/Post-Game Thread: Houston Dynamo vs Toronto FC Sat Aug 25, 2012 @ 8:30PM EDT

Ok guys, I saw a Santos pregame thread but nothing for the Houston game so I am starting one. Let's hear your thoughts on this one...

I think we are going to try to hold on but Houston will be too much at home for TFC to handle right now the way they are playing. Possible Mariner excuses....the heat, the travel, the busy schedule, not enough practice time, not enough quality(oh wait, that was Winter's)?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...the drunktank

All good excuses.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game is utterly meaningless. Start the scrubs in anticipation of the CCL match against Santos Laguna on Tuesday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner can't win in this game. If he plays the scrubs, and we get thrashed, everybody on here would be calling him a bad manager! If he plays the first team and loses, he would be called a bad manager for playing the first teamers! If we win, people would say its meaningless and takes away from the CCL game and the players won't be rested. I actually remember people on here complaining about Winter last season in similar matches before CCL games! It's a no-win situation for managers with fans already on their back.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Mariner can't win in this game. If he plays the scrubs, and we get thrashed, everybody on here would be calling him a bad manager! If he plays the first team and loses, he would be called a bad manager for playing the first teamers! If we win, people would say its meaningless and takes away from the CCL game and the players won't be rested. I actually remember people on here complaining about Winter last season in similar matches before CCL games! It's a no-win situation for managers with fans already on their back.
    While that may be true, it's about time that the players who supposedly aspire to a professional career ultimately step up and play like they are capable of.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    While that may be true, it's about time that the players who supposedly aspire to a professional career ultimately step up and play like they are capable of.
    I would agree, although the current TFC "second 11" would be thrashed off the park by a sunday league team! (defence of Maund-Cann-Harden-Hall anyone?!)

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, we always hear about this supposed league parity. Sure would be nice to get some parity type players.

On any given day, the worst team in the league can beat the best. If they aren't playing for the crest, at least play for their careers. Just one night, I'd like to go to bed happy... when it comes to soccer I mean.
    Last edited by Pookie; 08-24-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect Mariner to dress a strong squad (or at least as close to his version of his starting 11).

He needs results in the league to save his job. As much as Anselmi gave Mariner a vote of confidence recently, a long losing spell isn't good for Mariner's future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston is undefeated at home this year! 8-0-4 with 23 goals scored.

We are 2-8-2 on the road.

I unfortunatly perdict 2-0 for Houston tonight.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game just screams "loss," although it would be nice to see something different.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is everyone planning on watching the game tonight, will a good sized group make it out to Joe's? Was also thinking of hitting up Scallywags as it is much closer to me.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    Can't wait for the game the Impact D.C. United game that is, a game that actually means something with a playoff berth in contention, something this TFC team can still only dream of after 6 lousy years and Nesta is back in the lineup too, should be a good one at a sold out Saputo! ( TSN2 4:00 P.M.)
    So you don't mind rooting for your team's rival? Bit uncivil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    ri·val (rvl)n.

1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor. (TRUE: We try to compete in MLS)
    2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect. (FALSE: We are a terrible franchise, we have no equals as a bottom feeder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What TFC should do is try to emulate the Montreal Impact's model and try to build from the back. IMO, they should of picked up Mellberg to go with O'Dea. Hassli, was just the wrong decision. Hassli, is a great player, but I dont think he is as important as a Mellberg in the backline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asterix606 View Post
    ri·val (rvl)n.

1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor. (TRUE: We try to compete in MLS)
    2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect. (FALSE: We are a terrible franchise, we have no equals as a bottom feeder)

yes, but since you're able to use a dictionary, you might want to be aware of the fact that you don't need both definitions present for the word to be accurate. The first one suffices. Is the guy a TFC fan or an L'impact fan? They're a rival, so logic would suggest that if it's not one or the other, it's neither. And in such a case, it's uncivil to go into someone else's house and piss in their cornflakes.

However, if the concept of rivalry is basically meaningless......what is the point of following teams in the first place?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Where in his post did he say he is rooting for anyone? He just said he wanted to watch the game.

I watched the game too. The sad thing is that TFC is years behind the Impact.

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Vancouver as of late have caught the TFC bug it seems because they are in 6th place as are the Impact, but they seem to have imploded somewhat. Too many transfers.
    What standings are you looking at? Vancouver still holds the 5th and final playoff spot in the West.

I do agree with you though, that they may have made too many mid-season moves. Trying to fix something that wasn't broken.
    Last edited by narduch; 08-25-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a TFC season ticket holder since day one, who is fed up with the futility of 6 sad years, what do you want me to do bend over and just keep taking it!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People please stay on topic. There are other threads for other games.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth... The injury report:

HOUSTON DYNAMO -- OUT: DF Alex Dixon (heat illness); DF Warren Creavalle (L ankle sprain); PROBABLE: MF Ricardo Clark (L ankle sprain)

TORONTO FC -- OUT: GK Stefan Frei (L lower leg); FW Danny Koevermans (L knee ACL tear); DF Ty Harden (lower abdominal strain); DF Matt Stinson (R quadriceps strain); DF Doneil Henry (L knee tendinosis); MF Reggie Lambe (R knee MCL sprain); QUESTIONABLE: FW Eric Hassli (back spasms)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings and Morgan are both a yellow card away from suspension.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Frings and Morgan are both a yellow card away from suspension.
    Neither has to worry tonight as they're both not starting...I'm predicting 4-0 Houston

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    I'm a TFC season ticket holder since day one, who is fed up with the futility of 6 sad years, what do you want me to do bend over and just keep taking it!

So am I
    Easy to fix
    Just don't make it 7 sad years
    Or I guess just keep bending

Like FYRC said lots of thread for that.
    Game Day...
    Come on you REDS

Last edited by Torontotonto; 08-25-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just saw our lineup on MLS' website. Just horrible. And Mariner continues to bring less than a full compliment of subs. Talk about disrespecting some players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lineup: F. Hall; J. Hall, Eckersley, O'Dea, Emory; Wiedeman, Maund, Dunfield, Johnson; Amarikwa, Silva

Had to stop lurking for this one. What unspeakable things does Avila need to do to get minutes? Must be depressing for him to know he's on the bench with some of those names in the starting eleven. 3rd game in a row out of the starting lineup. With a bench of Kocic, Cann, Williams, Morgan and him, if Mariner still doesn't sub him in he's gotta be on his way out. Feels like he's on his way out already though if I'm honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    I just saw our lineup on MLS' website. Just horrible. And Mariner continues to bring less than a full compliment of subs. Talk about disrespecting some players.
    it's a complete joke. Can't call Maku or Cordon because there's a threat that they just might be better than some of his crappy signings. Also 3 of the 5 subs are defenders, and the other is a gk. so WHEN we're losing he only has one attacking option, GENIUS. Hall again, u can bet he's gonna play the rest of the season. We're gonna get thrashed tonight imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This jackass still has the nerve to not call up any of the academy players. He rather have a short bench full of defenders than call up some Canadian kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Where do you see the lineups?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So any streams yet?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

frings and morgan not playing, game over. And O'Dea will be the captain tonight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see more of Avila. At least some sub minutes, better option that throwing Maund or someone else in. Dunfield and his johnny try hard play is great and all, but he belongs in the CSL or the bench. TFC will get crushed tonight. I hope they don't, but all signs point to thrashing.