Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    But again - "Mariner's record would be worse without Koevermans" is a completely empty statement, because it doesn't matter, and is impossible to confirm. I suspect a lot of MLS teams would be worse without what is ostensibly their best player/striker. And as I said - the team managed to win the first game AFTER Koevermans went down injured.

I'm with you guys on pretty much every criticism you have or the job Mariner is doing, but it doesn't change the fact that I dislike logical fallacies and specious claims - particularly when they aren't even necessary.
    Statement: Mariner's not completely terrible record in his first 10 games happened to coincide with Koevermans breaking out of his slump.

Under Winter this season Koevermans scored one goal in the first eight games (all losses). Then he scored in the record-breaking loss to DC and again in the next game (a win!) against Philly.

At this point Mariner took over. TFC went 3-2-4 and Koevermans had six goals and two assists in those nine games before getting injured. It was a glorious era. Since then TFC is 1-5-2.

Those were the facts, now allow me to introduce some personal analysis. You can look at the above say two things: 1) Mariner knew how to use Koevermans more effectively explaining the better results, or 2) Koevermans returning to form was a bigger factor than the coaching change during that period of "success".

I don't think there's much to 1) because we've seen Koevermans perform at a high level under Winter last year. His career strike rate proves that he performs his role very well wherever he's played.

2) is what I think a lot of people believe. Koevermans missed a lot of chances during that 9 game losing streak. It's natural for a striker to have a scoring slump but unfortunately for us no one picked up the slack. He was starting to figure it out and scored in the last two games with Winter in charge (including the game-winner for the first win of the season). Mariner came in, rode the hot striker, and fell back to the familiar futility after he got injured.

All people are trying to say is that Koevermans, not Mariner, deserves the lion's share of the credit for that brief spurt of mediocrity. Those eight or nine games are sometimes cited as an indication that Mariner is the right coach for TFC and he just needs more time. In reality, it's the same shit repackaged.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    All people are trying to say is that Koevermans, not Mariner, deserves the lion's share of the credit for that brief spurt of mediocrity. Those eight or nine games are sometimes cited as an indication that Mariner is the right coach for TFC and he just needs more time. In reality, it's the same shit repackaged.
    And I'll I'm trying to say is that strikers are paid to score goals, and you can't essentially give a single player all of the credit when the team is playing well, any more than you can absolve a manager of 100% of the blame when the team is playing poorly.

Nor can you even begin to state with any authority what "would have" happened if Koevermans wasn't in the lineup.

And as I've been saying all along - I'm more or less with you guys about Mariner. I suspected he probably wasn't our future when he was handed the reins, and I'm convinved of it now. He'll likely be left to play out the string this season, and then given his walking papers.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    And as I've been saying all along - I'm more or less with you guys about Mariner. I suspected he probably wasn't our future when he was handed the reins, and I'm convinved of it now. He'll likely be left to play out the string this season, and then given his walking papers.

- Scott
    Don't bet on it, he's well in with the right snakes in the pit. He'll be there next season unless there's enough pressure applied (season seat numbers, banners etc.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Just thought I'd put on the table Stephen Hart. I'm willing to bet this (long) qualification run will be his last. I think he could be an excellent TFC coach. The only one who regularly gets the best out of JDG.
    An excellent suggestion. A very competent coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Statement: Mariner's not completely terrible record in his first 10 games happened to coincide with Koevermans breaking out of his slump.

Under Winter this season Koevermans scored one goal in the first eight games (all losses). Then he scored in the record-breaking loss to DC and again in the next game (a win!) against Philly.

At this point Mariner took over. TFC went 3-2-4 and Koevermans had six goals and two assists in those nine games before getting injured. It was a glorious era. Since then TFC is 1-5-2.

Those were the facts, now allow me to introduce some personal analysis. You can look at the above say two things: 1) Mariner knew how to use Koevermans more effectively explaining the better results, or 2) Koevermans returning to form was a bigger factor than the coaching change during that period of "success".

I don't think there's much to 1) because we've seen Koevermans perform at a high level under Winter last year. His career strike rate proves that he performs his role very well wherever he's played.

2) is what I think a lot of people believe. Koevermans missed a lot of chances during that 9 game losing streak. It's natural for a striker to have a scoring slump but unfortunately for us no one picked up the slack. He was starting to figure it out and scored in the last two games with Winter in charge (including the game-winner for the first win of the season). Mariner came in, rode the hot striker, and fell back to the familiar futility after he got injured.

I can't disagree with anything you have stated, but it's absolutely sad that we refer to a 3-2-4 stretch as a glorious era. I suspect it was meant sarcastically, but even so we're just so f**king pathetic. I'm dropping my six seats as I can't take it any more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see Mariner step back down, and be able to be coach when Stephen Hart would have international duty, it would definitely put us at an advantage both for Canada and TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    I would love to see Mariner step back down, and be able to be coach when Stephen Hart would have international duty, it would definitely put us at an advantage both for Canada and TFC
    Former MLS coaches with winning records who are currently unemployed or under-employed (i.e. we'd pay more)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Sarachan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavio_Zambrano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Houghton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_C...r_born_1962%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Hudson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Nicol

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest my son U13 Coach,he can teach our professionals basic skills needed to play competitive soccer and he has definitely more coaching knowledge than drunken monkey we have right now on the sideline.

Seriously,Sigma FC academy Technical director and head coach with UEFA License,Bobby Smyrniotis.Player connection in Holland,Belgium,Greece and Spain.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Like the octavio guy, Would allow us to scout south america and knows the league.

but wouldnt mean anything if we kept the same FO, they`ll just find a way to fuck it up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I would try to sway Bob Bradley away from Egypt. I realize how impossible that sounds.

Mariner isn't going anywhere, not with the Anselmi promotion that just occured.

But if the results get really bad, I could see Mariner 'promoting' himself to GM (Mo Johnston style) and we hire someone similar to Mariner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Bobby Houghton. Some of us oldtimers would get a huge charge out of that.

While we're at it, how about Bettega for GM?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by tfcmanu; 09-14-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Coached Colorado in MLS (1996)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Oltimer??? I'm only 38 and I remember the Blizzard and going down to Exhibition Stadium to support the team.