Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will not renew if PM is running this club next season,frankly his antics on the sidelines are embarrassing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i will not renew if PM is running this club next season,frankly his antics on the sidelines are embarrassing.
    I'd understand if you don't renew because you think Mariner is a crap coach, but because he's eccentric? because he doesn't fit the typical mould of a manager?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wasnt going renew anyway..i dont like the style of play and the direction this club is going at the top and the manager,eccentric is one thing,he is jus a clown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'd understand if you don't renew because you think Mariner is a crap coach, but because he's eccentric? because he doesn't fit the typical mould of a manager?
    Oh he fits the mold of a manager...unfortunately his tactics, player selection and sideline behaviour make me believe he's a a house league manager. Lol

When a coach yells loud enough to hear him clearly on tv and physically mimics what he wants his players to do (ie the patented Mariner long throw herky jerky throw in motion) it's embarrassing.

Even winning every game he would look like a buffoon. But playing as poorly as we are and as unattractive as it is...it makes him look much worse than a buffoon. Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love his antics on the sidelines. Much better than standing stoicly like you don't care at all.

I am not sure of his tactics though. Too many players played out of their natural position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll definitely renew, but I think if I had to pay more than south-end cost I'd likely drop out. The quality and the overall experience of following TFC has become a depressing chore, quite frankly. Every off-season I have hope for better, but I must admit that even the hope will be gone if Mariner stays on as manager. I've missed more games in this 6th season than I did in 1-5 total, and I don't know how I would react to another failed season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    The demeanor of a coach during a game is telling.

During the week you train, run drills, and prepare for the upcoming match.

On gameday, you watch it unfold, and make 'tweaks' as required.

Sit back, take notes, make adjustments as required, address any issues afterwards.

This man is a fool.
    exactly!!....this bozo is out there carrying on like he is giving the players tactics for the first time......

I wonder how many still think that it was Winter's system which was too complicated, when it seems like the players - players who Mariner acquired, by and large during his time here by the way - can't even get wins under Mariner's kick and run......get this guy outta here.......the whole lot of them.......gotta keep De Klerk though.......he's a dude.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner is just the latest in what has been a myriad of shitty, useless or lame duck coaches thanks to MLSE. Mariner has very little tactical acumen and we are beginning to see this game in and game out (flashback to the days of MoJo). Carver, Cummins and Preki never really had the horses to take this team anywhere. Winter had a plan, but had no clue how to implement it in any effective way. 4-3-3 is great if you have the right mix of players which TFC never did (plus you need to play defense and not concede goals which was a concept that Winter struggled to comprehend). I think next to Mo, Mariner will be the worst manager yet. MLSE has managed to create a culture of losing and losers in the short history of this club. Somer very good players have made it here over the years only to be consumed by this pervasive and isidious atmosphere. It is trully sad to see what this team has become especially with the feaverish support it had in those first few seasons. The only way to fix it is to purge those at the very top of the TFC hierarchy who have presided over this mess from the very beginning.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now look at who Portland are trying to sign, Caleb Porter.

He's an NCAA coach who has coached the US U-23's. Guess what, to get them out of the dumper, they are hiring a coach who plays a possession-based game.

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/in...d_coach_o.html

He's been trying to move up to MLS for some time, the Fire interviewed him a while back. For some reason, TFC didn't take him.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Now look at who Portland are trying to sign, Caleb Porter.

He's an NCAA coach who has coached the US U-23's. Guess what, to get them out of the dumper, they are hiring a coach who plays a possession-based game.

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/in...d_coach_o.html

He's been trying to move up to MLS for some time, the Fire interviewed him a while back. For some reason, TFC didn't take him.
    Yeah, I posted that above. He's been my preferred guy since before Winter was fired. We were idiots for not going after him at about game 5 of the losing streak.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah, I posted that above. He's been my preferred guy since before Winter was fired. We were idiots for not going after him at about game 5 of the losing streak.
    If you're not going to get an established MLS Coach (and honestly, who would ever want to come here?), a top NCAA Coach is often a good bet.

Having someone who coaches a possession game might mean some tweaking from the Dutch style, but not a total re-write to hoofball.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really believe we should hire an American-based coach who plays a possession game. I don't think we (by "we" I mean TFC) are steeped enough in American football to really know and identify talent, and that's where the bulk of MLS players come from. Also think an American coach is better positioned than Winter was to understand where the league is in terms of transitioning to a more skilled, tactical game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree canary - but who would this coach be? I don't think I can name one that is available that we could get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Agree canary - but who would this coach be? I don't think I can name one that is available that we could get.
    Well Caleb Porter would be at the top of my list. Sonny Silooy might be another one (currently assistant at DC United). There are a few NCAA programs playing and teaching possession football. Any of those coaches might be worth it. Anyone in the USMNT chain might be worth a shot too, as that's what they are playing.

Are any "availablable." Not an effing clue. I can't think Toronto's reputation is too high in coaching circles at the moment so who knows who would actually want to come here. Might need to see Anselmi out of the picture first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    The point is it is not our job to figure out who is available to implement or maintain what Winter started with a possession based attacking style of play. Bottom line is if TFC wants to continue what Klinsman and Winter attempted to bring in and our academy plays that way, those are the characteristics which we need in a coach period. The understanding of attacking football and the stupid rules that MLS has. If the coach does not have the understanding of the MLS bring in someone who will not try and steal his job and undermine him at every oppurtunity.

I have had coaches like Mariner all emotional and ranting and raving on the sidelines and you know what it gets old quickly especially when the results stop coming as they have in the past 6 games. Mariner's trade for Hassil and moves he has made reek of trying to get short term results with no vision or commitment to the future.

I hope they toss his ass at the end of the year and I don't ever want to see him again. His tactics or lack there of reek of desperation and stuck in a game that went out of style 30 years ago. I guess people are starting to come to a realization why he or Nichol were never offered another job in the MLS, cause their tactics were only good for MLS v1.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Mariner not going anywhere any time soon so not much point in talking about the next coach.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro So for those of you calling for Mariner to be fired and a new coach brought in either now or for start of next season, it won't happen.

Expand
    15m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    ... To stabilize team this season, bring in a few more players in off-season and let him really make the club his own next year.

Expand
    16m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    Biggest thing I took away from our chat was Mariner is here to stay. They're pleased with direction he's taken team and will be given time..

Expand
    17m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    ... Order to get to know me and hear my take on things.

Expand
    18m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    Just finished meeting with Anselmi. Didn't really interview him, it was more of a chat. Said he'd been meaning to invite me to lunch in...
    Anselmi prooving once again that he knows shit all about football. The most he should say about Mariner is that he will be assessed at the end of the season, anything more is bullshit. If we keep on the road we are on if Mariner starts the season, it is likely that he will not finish it, meaning that we just lost season 7.
    Last edited by trane; 08-27-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they did sign him to a 3 year extension - turfing him will mean yet another payout.

You can bet that is factoring into Anselmi's reasoning here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland will be announcing their new head coach tomorrow apparently. Owner said the rumours are wrong. I guess we'll see tomorrow if it's Caleb Porter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only have a 1/2 season ticket but if Mariner returns next year I'm 100% not renewing. Have gifted the last 2 matches anyway, I frankly have no desire to watch his style of play and tactics combined with bizarre player personnel decisions. There isn't anything to look forward to right now, not even watching a bunch of academy kids play out the string.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland will be announcing their new head coach tomorrow apparently. Owner said the rumours are wrong. I guess we'll see tomorrow if it's Caleb Porter.
    Its now official:

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/...ch-2013-season

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well Caleb Porter would be at the top of my list. Sonny Silooy might be another one (currently assistant at DC United). There are a few NCAA programs playing and teaching possession football. Any of those coaches might be worth it. Anyone in the USMNT chain might be worth a shot too, as that's what they are playing.

Are any "availablable." Not an effing clue. I can't think Toronto's reputation is too high in coaching circles at the moment so who knows who would actually want to come here. Might need to see Anselmi out of the picture first.
    Interestingly, DC United have modeled their player development after Ajax.

I love that folks are finally talking about the importance of understanding the US influence on our ability to be competitive.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Mariner not going anywhere any time soon so not much point in talking about the next coach.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro So for those of you calling for Mariner to be fired and a new coach brought in either now or for start of next season, it won't happen.

Expand
    15m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    ... To stabilize team this season, bring in a few more players in off-season and let him really make the club his own next year.

Expand
    16m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    Biggest thing I took away from our chat was Mariner is here to stay. They're pleased with direction he's taken team and will be given time..

Expand
    17m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    ... Order to get to know me and hear my take on things.

Expand
    18m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    Just finished meeting with Anselmi. Didn't really interview him, it was more of a chat. Said he'd been meaning to invite me to lunch in...

It's funny, I have an email from Anselmi from the end of 2011 in which he basically says the same thing about Aron Winter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Lot's of hope around Porter. He's proven himself at the NCAA level and there is no doubt he can churn out MLS prospects. It will be interesting to see his transition to coaching in the MLS.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

I love that folks are finally talking about the importance of understanding the US influence on our ability to be competitive.

That's not proper football!

Availability of the Orlando coach we mentioned elsewhere? Adrian Heath.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

Sonny Silooy might be a TFC head coach candidate now that Caleb Porter is out. He's the assistant coach at DC and has been deeply involved in setting up their academy for people that don't know him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking hell. I can't believe we didn't offer the job to Porter. Although I doubt he would have come -he turned down DC 2 years ago When they really wanted him.

But either Adrian Heath or any big name MLS coach (Schmidt, Arena, Yallop, Vermees) would be my choice. although again, Unless we are willing to pay top dollar it's highly unlikely we will be luring away any top coaching talent, and even then...

Oh, and for our next president/ General manager, my choice would have to be Peter Wilt. He is exactly the type of guy that we need right now.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...-of-peter-wilt
    Last edited by maxpower; 08-30-2012 at 09:52 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post

But either Adrian Heath or any big name MLS coach (Schmidt, Arena, Yallop, Vermees) would be my choice. although again, Unless we are willing to pay top dollar it's highly unlikely we will be luring away any top coaching talent, and even then...
    Can't see Arena here. You can cross Yallop off while MLSE are here.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly it's not the particular coach that is the problem, it's coaches in general. This team should be run as a workers' collective. Forward to the Fulfillment of the 5 Year Goal Production Plan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man there's just too many similarities here to justify keeping this bozo. The post match interview with the busted glasses just makes this seem a bit disfunctional. Glasses get broken but his interview is very mo johnston beer glasses-like. IDK, if anyone has seen this movie:

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sonny Silooy might be a TFC head coach candidate now that Caleb Porter is out. He's the assistant coach at DC and has been deeply involved in setting up their academy for people that don't know him.
    In my opinion, to bring in an "Ajax" friendly coach, you'd need to gut the "pragmatic MLS crew" and I'm not sure it would happen.

Remember that when Mariner earned his 3 year extension, weeks before Winter was actually fired, they moved de Klerk out and Brennan in. Currently, "Ajax minded thinkers" occupy the Academy and de Klerk's contract looks to expire at the end of the season. The first team management, including the office support from Cochrane, would all need to be removed for a person like Silooy to have a fighting chance.