Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who should be the next head coach of TFC?

Ok, I'm pretty sure that Mariner wouldn't be here any longer then this season or half of next (dispite the 3 year contract). So who should be our next head coach?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomas Rongen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_905 View Post
    Thomas Rongen
    Self preservation is the norm around TFC, if any of these coaches like Brennan, Dichio, Bent understand that they should turn down any offers. I think Rongen will not budge or should budge from the security of the TFCA.

Now, if you want a reliable head coach/director of football you gotta look at Paul Peschisolido and his wife Karen Brady, but I think it would take alot of money to move an entire football family.

My second choice would be John Spencer who was let go by the Timbers. Hes the brother-in-law of Billy Davies of most recently Nottingham Forrest. So he has some good connections. Portland is nothing like Toronto so maybe he can bring in some talent from abroad.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can all of the football talk; this topic requires none of that.

Formations, tactics, player selection, club vision, basically anything that football requires from a manager shouldn't be discussed. You're wasting your time. The next manager of TFC should be willing to take the job for 6 months - year before he gets canned. As long as he can stomach that, I say hire him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony Fonseca - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/António_Fonseca

TFC should hire Tony at some capacity for the organization, Has experience with Canadian soccer and could tap into Portuguese soccer back home and would be a good fit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoever it is, not one single person who currently works in the TFC front office can be involved in the hiring process.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontofc View Post
    Ok, I'm pretty sure that Mariner wouldn't be here any longer then this season or half of next (dispite the 3 year contract). So who should be our next head coach?
    Whomever the next President of the Club decides.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Spencer? I'd keep Mariner on if thats the case.

Caleb Porter or Carl Robinson. Coaching change needs to happen after a strong and experience president is hired. This needs to happen quickly from the new owners, then said president can put a plan in place for next season. This can't be a classic MLSE executive search that takes months and months. If bogers makes that happen from now till the end of the season then I'll be optimistic.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Head coach experience in MLS or winning coach in CSL or NASL.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just throw my hands up in the air.

Everything about this club is stupid and shit.

This is a conversation not even worth having because it'll be happening again within 2 years, mark my words.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if anselmi is still around: brennan.

/thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since TFC seems to be in the market for cheerleaders as coaches, why not Bobby Brasz.

In all seriousness, it really doesn't matter. No coach can survive with the political backstabbing that goes on in the FO. Mourinho would fail in TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomas Rongon

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    if anselmi is still around: brennan.

/thread.
    My wife said the same thing this morning. Brennan and Bent.

I wrote about this before as Anselmi's last season ticket renewal hail mary. A media favourite, local lad, former Captain trying to turn around our club. Makes for a some positive headlines at a time when they are trying to sell hope.

For me, regardless of who it is... what difference is a new coach going to make if they don't have the resources to identify and bring in players? That falls on the VP/President to set budgets and approve plans. Without a new leader it is the same recipe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adrian Heath

Just look what this guy is doing with Orlando City SC. We can easily hook him up, but i think if Anselmi is still here he will probably hire Brennan lol.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

John Molinaro just tweeted that he spoke with Anselmi.

Essentially Paul Mariner isn't going anywhere.

Of course not, he signed an extension back in the spring.

Molinaro, like Kurtis Larson, has been going on about giving Mariner time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post

If true then the Bogers takeover is worrisome.

Edit: Nvm, what else is he going to say lol.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner not going anywhere any time soon so not much point in talking about the next coach.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro So for those of you calling for Mariner to be fired and a new coach brought in either now or for start of next season, it won't happen.

Expand
    15m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    ... To stabilize team this season, bring in a few more players in off-season and let him really make the club his own next year.

Expand
    16m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    Biggest thing I took away from our chat was Mariner is here to stay. They're pleased with direction he's taken team and will be given time..

Expand
    17m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    ... Order to get to know me and hear my take on things.

Expand
    18m John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro
    Just finished meeting with Anselmi. Didn't really interview him, it was more of a chat. Said he'd been meaning to invite me to lunch in...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iy12l View Post
    Adrian Heath

Just look what this guy is doing with Orlando City SC. We can easily hook him up, but i think if Anselmi is still here he will probably hire Brennan lol.
    Not saying his team isn't doing well but I can't say that is all on him. There is a clandestine plan in effect there and money is no object.

Move PDL team from Austin to Orlando where
    Host tournament for MLS to
    Plan for MLS team in Orlando where

Disney

= Profit

EDIT: Just looked at Heath

So he followed the 3rd place Aztex from the PDL division in Austin to Orlando = Not bad, 3rd place but it's PDL and...

the previous year the Aztex finished 10th and were in the USL. What happened there? He joined the team the year previous in '08 when Austin was awarded an USL expansion team. Not THAT much experience.

If anything he'll stay with Orlando a year or two and see if they can be "promoted".

BUT

I like that we're looking down the pyramid for talented, winning coaches in NA!
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-23-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post

Molinaro, like Kurtis Larson, has been going on about giving Mariner time.
    Did molinaro (or anyone else) expect Anselmi to say Mariner is gone already? If he needs to be removed, whether under contract/or not that can be done in off-season. Issue is if management decides to leave him in place only to fire him after another bad start to season (ie scapegoat to buy them more time) then this will be another off-season wasted with no direction/plan.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until the new owners come out and say everything is status quo then it doesn't matter what Anselmi, Mariner or any poster on this board says. We have no idea what they are thinking about doing with MLSE, let alone TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Said it a few times but Mariner at least deserves the same amount of leeway and time Winter had (2 transfer windows at least instead of Winter's three). Mariner may be a lot of things but it isn't his fault that the entire squad can't string together more than 3 passes this season and couldn't even manage to do it even when Winter was here.

But I see him sticking this year and next and then stepping back from the side lines and letting Dichio or Brennan take over. My prediction anyways.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Said it a few times but Mariner at least deserves the same amount of leeway and time Winter had (2 transfer windows at least instead of Winter's three). Mariner may be a lot of things but it isn't his fault that the entire squad can't string together more than 3 passes this season and couldn't even manage to do it even when Winter was here.

But I see him sticking this year and next and then stepping back from the side lines and letting Dichio or Brennan take over. My prediction anyways.
    Whether Mariner, or the club came out and said it his appointment was for results NOW.

He gets till end of season and I'd like to see a recommitting to our plan from the start of the year with a management accountable for their actions for more than a year at a time and not looking up, down or side to side on who to blame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My wife said the same thing this morning. Brennan and Bent.

I wrote about this before as Anselmi's last season ticket renewal hail mary. A media favourite, local lad, former Captain trying to turn around our club. Makes for a some positive headlines at a time when they are trying to sell hope.

For me, regardless of who it is... what difference is a new coach going to make if they don't have the resources to identify and bring in players? That falls on the VP/President to set budgets and approve plans. Without a new leader it is the same recipe.
    Re: Brennan/Bent - not sure how giving the reigns to two individuals with no experience and know how to take on head coach role, especially of a club like TFC and the situation they find themselves in will help ticket sales. When will TFC finally get it right in terms of hiring the right guy and having the proper structure in place to provide pathway to future success?

Re: resources- one of the biggest challenges of not only TFC, but in general MLS. Scouting is basically non existent(both domestically and abroad) when it should be a very important component of the club. Has there been anyone accountable for this since TFC began?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    Until the new owners come out and say everything is status quo then it doesn't matter what Anselmi, Mariner or any poster on this board says. We have no idea what they are thinking about doing with MLSE, let alone TFC.
    This.

We don't know if Bell/Rogers is going to keep Anselmi. If Anselmi is gone, it doesn't matter what he thinks. His replacement will make the decision.

My choice for a Mariner replacement? Thomas Rongen, although he'd be crazy to take the job if Anselmi is still there.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iy12l View Post
    Adrian Heath

I've heard very good things about Adrian Heath.

We do need to hire a new president first though and it has to be someone with no previous link to MLSE. A recycled executive is not what this club needs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's good of John Molinaro to get some quotes from Tom Anselmi. I still hope that someone asks Anselmi to confirm if Mariner got a 3-year extension this spring.

It's clear that Anselmi is starting a PR offensive. Much of what he says makes me sick to the stomach -- even independent of Mariner, Winter, and other recent shenanigans. Wouldn't be surprised if we get more chats between Anselmi (or others from the FO) with other journos.

It could be a PR offensive due to Anselmi trying to save his own job under new ownership. Obviously if Anselmi's future is unclear (at least in terms of TFC) then what he says about Mariner is pretty meaningless.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's just the start of a PR push leading to season ticket renewals. I can't imagine Anselmi starting chats with journalists, a day after ownership changed, if his current position wrt. TFC was at all in jeopardy.

WTF are they going to come up with for the SSH renewal push? Anselmi mentioned town halls to Molinaro, ha ha that's funny. Maybe bouncy castles? Chevril half-time shows? Dunk tank for the whole FO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Not saying his team isn't doing well but I can't say that is all on him. There is a clandestine plan in effect there and money is no object.

Move PDL team from Austin to Orlando where
    Host tournament for MLS to
    Plan for MLS team in Orlando where

Disney

= Profit

EDIT: Just looked at Heath

So he followed the 3rd place Aztex from the PDL division in Austin to Orlando = Not bad, 3rd place but it's PDL and...

the previous year the Aztex finished 10th and were in the USL. What happened there? He joined the team the year previous in '08. Not THAT much experience.

If anything he'll stay with Orlando a year or two and see if they can be "promoted".

BUT

I like that we're looking down the pyramid for talented, winning coaches in NA!
    To complete the story, they finished in first place in both 2011 and 2012 and won the play-off championship in 2011.

Orlando and Rochester are in the semi-finals awaiting the results of the two quarter final series to be played this weekend.

Ya, it's only USL Pro but what better way for a coach to learn his craft. Aron Winter would have benefited from coaching at that level before taking on the MLS challenge. Of course, he probably thought tha MLS was the place for him to learn his craft before heading back to Europe.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    To complete the story, they finished in first place in both 2011 and 2012 and won the play-off championship in 2011.

Orlando and Rochester are in the semi-finals awaiting the results of the two quarter final series to be played this weekend.

Ya, it's only USL Pro but what better way for a coach to learn his craft. Aron Winter would have benefited from coaching at that level before taking on the MLS challenge. Of course, he probably thought tha MLS was the place for him to learn his craft before heading back to Europe.

Cool! Thanks Blizz! Forgot they'd already be in playoffs in USL.

No, don't get me wrong I want us to look to successful experience in USL/NASL. The only glitch for me was when the team went down to PDL. I realize that's not the coaches fault and has to do with $$$ in NA not relegation. I'd look to USL/NASL for talent but PDL is a stretch for me. That's all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Cool! Thanks Blizz! Forgot they'd already be in playoffs in USL.

No, don't get me wrong I want us to look to successful experience in USL/NASL. The only glitch for me was when the team went down to PDL. I realize that's not the coaches fault and has to do with $$$ in NA not relegation. I'd look to USL/NASL for talent but PDL is a stretch for me. That's all.
    They aren't in the PDL, they are in USL Pro, one level above that and one level below NASL.

While it might be a bit of gamble to go for a coach who has been working at the USL Pro level, is it really much below the level of NASL? Not really.

Will ownership take the club up to NASL now is my question. I think they should. They want an MLS franchise for Orlando and have a decent average crowd base of over 5k per match. Take them up a level!