Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better question to ask would be - who wants the job?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Anyone who doesn't have one. No one who does.

What else is new?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think anyone without a job, but with prospects for one, would also steer clear of TFC - a franchise with a history of burning through coaches/GMs quickly, and with no proven foundation in place. We've yet to have a manager last two full seasons - I don't think any person looking for their first job wants to potentially hurt their "big chance" by walking into that environment, nor does a "big name" manager want to tie themselves to that legacy.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't think it's the coach that needs to be replaced every year (or less) just get someone who knows football to replace Anselmi. Give him a budget to do what he wants, and have him choose a new head coach not.

Honestly, The instability of this team is more embarrassing than the modern dance recital by PM on the sidelines.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I think anyone without a job, but with prospects for one, would also steer clear

- Scott
    Can you give me an example of someone in this situation? I have no idea who this would be
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Can you give me an example of someone in this situation? I have no idea who this would be
    Every year, in every sport, there are coaches and managers fired, or out of contract, who are widely expected to land somewhere else.

So someone just desperate for a job might take TFC's offer, but someone out of a job but with actual suitors for a new one, would steer clear. I couldn't name any names off the top of my head, simply because the "market" for soccer coaches essentially spans the entire globe.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE has enough money. TFC is dying. They desperately need a proper, experienced head coach to turn around this sinking ship. You can get ANY coach out there if you're willing to pay big bucks. I remember reading that TFC paid Preki around a million bucks a year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while Mariner was getting a 3-year extension for no reason, our dream coach Ange Postecoglou was getting a 3-year deal of his own.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check out the poscast by De Vos and Wileman from today. De Vos talks about what he thinks TFC need to fix the problems they are having.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/TSNFC_083012.mp3

It's basically what many of us have been saying. We need an experienced football person as president or technical director. Someone between TommyA and the Manager. He also shares a story about someone who is a very experienced person from a well known club who would take such a role at TFC. The point being, there are good people out there who think there is a great opportunity to build something in Toronto. MLSE/TFC would have no shortage of good candidates to choose from - if the money and opportunity were right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every year, in every sport, there are coaches and managers fired, or out of contract, who are widely expected to land somewhere else.

So someone just desperate for a job might take TFC's offer, but someone out of a job but with actual suitors for a new one, would steer clear. I couldn't name any names off the top of my head, simply because the "market" for soccer coaches essentially spans the entire globe.

- Scott
    I guess, the only guy I could think of might be Preki when he came here, but I doubt it, I don't think there was that much interest in him. It's a theoretical construct that doesn't happen in reality, in a minor league where specific local rules limit the number of candidates. Caleb Porter had a job. Frank Yallop, when he was supposedly approached by MLSE in 2006, had a job.

Who are we talking about now? Peter Nowak or John Spencer?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I guess, the only guy I could think of might be Preki when he came here, but I doubt it, I don't think there was that much interest in him. It's a theoretical construct that doesn't happen in reality, in a minor league where specific local rules limit the number of candidates. Caleb Porter had a job. Frank Yallop, when he was supposedly approached by MLSE in 2006, had a job.

Who are we talking about now? Peter Nowak or John Spencer?
    But what I mean is - if you're a highly respected candidate for a coaching or GM job, why would you want to throw your lot in with our team right now? Especially if it's your first gig? Our history is only filled with guys who lasted around one season, then had to go back to lesser gigs, or none at all. We are where managing careers and aspirations go to die (at least so far).

Unless we are willing to overpay to an astronomical degree, I don't see how we attract anything other than the desperate ones, which are not what we need.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what I mean is - if you're a highly respected candidate for a coaching or GM job, why would you want to throw your lot in with our team right now? Especially if it's your first gig? Our history is only filled with guys who lasted around one season, then had to go back to lesser gigs, or none at all. We are where managing careers and aspirations go to die (at least so far).
    I agree, overpaying is one way to do it... Another is to allow the person to bring more of their own staff, that's something that often gets negotiated in more big-time leagues.

Might be a good chip for us to use, considering we all have our doubts about the various characters around the TFC FO.

There are still plenty of soft terms that can be negotiated as well. Goals and other such things. I think that's been a problem in the past, especially where they are probably saying one thing publicly and another privately. Our memories aren't as short as the marketing department might hope..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    I just throw my hands up in the air.

Everything about this club is stupid and shit.

This is a conversation not even worth having because it'll be happening again within 2 years, mark my words.

less than 2yrs and we both know it! ..I love football, and the idea of pro-soccer in Toronto but TFC = horse shit

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gate7 View Post
    less than 2yrs and we both know it! ..I love football, and the idea of pro-soccer in Toronto but TFC = horse shit
    "Part-time supporter clap clap clap clap clap"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B. van M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Now look at who Portland are trying to sign, Caleb Porter.

He's an NCAA coach who has coached the US U-23's. Guess what, to get them out of the dumper, they are hiring a coach who plays a possession-based game.

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/in...d_coach_o.html

He's been trying to move up to MLS for some time, the Fire interviewed him a while back. For some reason, TFC didn't take him.
    Caleb Porter? Didn't get outcoached by Tony Fonseca and failed to qualify for Olympics?

I would rather hire Tony Fonseca (nice to have a Canadian manager for once).

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to dust off "the five year plan"??? .... again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mom View Post
    "Part-time supporter clap clap clap clap clap"
    I'm more of a loser for being ssh since day one.. of the first 200 to reserve season seats long before Beckham was rumored to play in the MLS. We once
    had 11 seats. Down to 2 this season. looks like 0 for next year...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fire Mariner. Dichio as interm. clean house in off season. new coaching staff bye bye Koev, frings, ekersley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more of a loser for being ssh since day one.. of the first 200 to reserve season seats long before Beckham was rumored to play in the MLS. We once
    had 11 seats. Down to 2 this season. looks like 0 for next year...

Well said rebuttal!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fire Mariner. Dichio as interm.
    That's the oddest idea I've ever heard! Mariner only just took over. I don't think anyone would advocate firing him before he's even had a chance. He's done reasonably well with what he's had. Why would we even want to consider getting rid of him at this stage.

It's going to be a long winter, if the incessant whining is going to start already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    That's the oddest idea I've ever heard! Mariner only just took over. I don't think anyone would advocate firing him before he's even had a chance. He's done reasonably well with what he's had. Why would we even want to consider getting rid of him at this stage.

It's going to be a long winter, if the incessant whining is going to start already.
    Huh???...hahha, I get it, sarcasm. FIRE his ass, what a baffoon ! and the fact that he is a sneaky lying bastard does'nt help....LOL
    Last edited by azorean19; 09-02-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes a special man to be a TFC coach!

Word is this guy will be out of the psy hospital in a few months. Could be our guy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post

great choice, but what would it take? Don't see him leaving. maybe another early exit from the playoffs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's two names of unemployed managers if money is not a problem:

John Toshack, formerly of Real Madrid CF, Catania, Wales, and so on, this guys been around. He would be the guy to just throw the keys to and say build me a quality team.

Walter Smith, formerly of Glasgow Rangers, Scotland, its not a bad idea. It wouldnt hurt to have him be a consultant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post

John Toshack, formerly of Real Madrid CF, Catania, Wales, and so on, this guys been around. He would be the guy to just throw the keys to and say build me a quality team.

Walter Smith, formerly of Glasgow Rangers, Scotland, its not a bad idea. It wouldnt hurt to have him be a consultant.
    Fine coaches. But I bet there's a ton of guys out there. I'd take most coaches from the Danish league - they're all massively experienced. Same can be said about Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, Polish, whatever. Tons of coaches with lots of experience being at the top of the game. And I bet you we wouldn't have to pay them much more than we did Preki (at around 900k per year). It really shouldn't be that hard to find a solid coach with 3+ years at the top somewhere out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post

Great names and they’d probably be good managers for someone, but for us I think it sounds a lot like we’d be hiring an F1 driver to get behind the wheel of our Taxi. I’d be very hesitant on anyone who doesn’t have experience in North America or at the very least managing a league that is resource constrained. Very different culture here and the foreign coach graveyard for MLS is vast. Seems like a lot of guys feel like they can break the system as opposed to learn it, and it just ends badly.

For the manager, I’d like to see someone who’s tactically astute and good at handling the day-to-day issues of the North American player. Has to know how they operate, what their level of motivation is and the type of off-field issues they deal with. Should be pragmatic when it comes to contract terms, but seeks to keep people happy wherever possible (doesn’t bench players based on contract talks *cough*).

Overall, the management team needs to be able to do the things I listed above plus have the ability to scout talent. NCAA without question, and but also give us a window into Central / South America. We continue to lag in these markets without good reason.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree strongly with names like Toshack and Smith. Obviously they have top credentials. But no more MLS rookies here. We have been the most arrogant and ignorant franchise in MLS. That has to stop.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-02-2012 at 07:22 PM.