Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carefree View Post

This guy was an absolute beast at CB. Nothing got past him. I wonder how much he makes and whether he'd be open to move to Canada...

He's Panamanian so we'll probably see him again in Toronto in September.

His value on transfermarkt is 1.5M GBP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    also like to give a shout out to the guy in 112 last night who said i was blocking his view.

cause.. you know.. the reason i spent the entire second half away from my girlfriend and another friend i brought was because i wanted to ruin your fucking view.

Another reason why we need control over tickets in our section. It takes huge courage to go up there like Wowza did. And for these two crackberry obsessed idiots who don't sing a lick to be in the first row of our section is a disgrace. That they complained about their view being blocked by the capo is just disgusting.

I challenged them on their whining and offered them a seat anywhere else in the stadium and the first thing they did was call me a dickhead. No civility at all, just straight in to name calling. No respect. They should be shamed out of our section.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    Another reason why we need control over tickets in our section. It takes huge courage to go up there like Wowza did. And for these two crackberry obsessed idiots who don't sing a lick to be in the first row of our section is a disgrace. That they complained about their view being blocked by the capo is just disgusting.

I challenged them on their whining and offered them a seat anywhere else in the stadium and the first thing they did was call me a dickhead. No civility at all, just straight in to name calling. No respect. They should be shamed out of our section.
    Yeah that was totally uncalled for last night. I think his friend should have informed him about the rules. Its sad howthis guy whines about the capo and nobody told him what section he was at and just let him ramble on. Had this been any other sg say in europe or anywhere else. They would be casted out or even worse.

Not that im condoning violence. But really it should be if your in 112 you sing. If you dont want to sing dont get ss in 112. It seems some ppl are members just for the scarf and status. Im sorry if i sound like an asshole. But i cant help but feel this group is being pushed around sometimes.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Furtado91 View Post
    Yeah that was totally uncalled for last night. I think his friend should have informed him about the rules. Its sad howthis guy whines about the capo and nobody told him what section he was at and just let him ramble on. Had this been any other sg say in europe or anywhere else. They would be casted out or even worse.

Not that im condoning violence. But really it should be if your in 112 you sing. If you dont want to sing dont get ss in 112. It seems some ppl are members just for the scarf and status. Im sorry if i sound like an asshole. But i cant help but feel this group is being pushed around sometimes.
    Casting him out of his season ticket spot will not happen.

This isn't Europe and I'm happy for it.

There was no need for the name calling that occurred but we carried on to finish the game. This is an issue we have to live with and work together until the section is in our hands alone.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-29-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carefree View Post

This guy was an absolute beast at CB. Nothing got past him. I wonder how much he makes and whether he'd be open to move to Canada...

He's Panamanian so we'll probably see him again in Toronto in September.

The Cb fetish continues, When our midfield is getting overrun and has been for the whole season. When your possesion numbers are as low as our's your backline can only take so much punishment before it cracks, but why dont we play Cb's at all 11 positions then we'll be able to win.
    Last edited by DoubleUp; 08-29-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    The Cb fetish continues, When our midfield is getting overrun and has been for the whole season. When your possesion numbers are as low as our's your backline can only take so much punishment before it cracks, but why dont we play Cb's at all 11 positions then we'll be able to win.
    Our mid's only get the ball by mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asterix606 View Post
    Wow! I cant believe so many people showed up for this game! Wasting their money and time. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty empty but its still lots of money burned for nothing.

Just took a look at MLS standings.
    You do realize this was NOT an MLS game, I enjoyed the game, the better team won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    His value on transfermarkt is 1.5M GBP.
    OK then. I guess that takes care of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, no. When we have two solid CBs in the line-up, then that will be one less thing to worry about. TFC have many issues that need to be dealt with, and lack of quality CBs has always been one of them. I never said we should ignore all the other issues and I certainly never said we should ONLY look for a CB and that it would solve ALL our problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asterix606 View Post
    I guess I no longer see the "fun" after 6 miserable years and a money whoring MLSE, doofus. If you want to sing your guts out try a karaoke bar, you might see more results.

I wish I could be as optimistic and unrealistic as some on these boards. I just don't see how Season 7 will be any different from Season 1 to 6. (W 45 L 82 T 53)

Note to MLSE
    : You will never see another dollar from me.
    Good, then Fuck-off and stop wasting your time and breath, Will I get in trouble for calling him a sphincter of the anal kind.

I have one more post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Can we keep Mariner and build something over the next three years? (I'd rather have had Winter but Mariner will do.)
    Building a winning team isn't as simple as giving any person the keys for three years and magically having a winning team. The person actually has to be capable in the first place. We've already seen what his ideal players look like (Wiedeman, Amarikwa, Dunfield), and he's already gotten rid of two draft picks including a first rounder for a rental player. At this point I'd like to see some damage control and a coach who's actually shown on some level that they know how to coach and are tactically competent. Mariner is neither.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't address the issue of where those passes are going, or his inability to read space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we were talking about lateral play I'd agree. But he plays a ton of safe back passes and is often behind the play or just plainly badly positioned.

Dunfield is not starting quality in this league.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Doesn't address the issue of where those passes are going, or his inability to read space.
    If we were talking about lateral play I'd agree. But he plays a ton of safe back passes and is often behind the play or just plainly badly positioned.

as i addressed before, frings was worse off than he was.

the majority of fring's failed passes were the ones he tried to push up straight through the center (11) while the majority of the ones that landed were towards the right wing (weidemans domain). he sent in several unsuccessful crosses, i'd say maybe half of those were decent. in addition to that, both silva and frings had more backpasses than he did (frings:10/silva:6/dunfield:5/) last night.

the majority of dunfields failed passes were the ones he tried to push up the center (4), while the majority of the successful ones were the ones pushed out towards the left wing (johnson/morgan).

i'm not ragging on the lateral passing, yes, it does sometimes create meaningless possession, but i maintain that any possession is good possession (unless it's in the defensive third). you have to look for space, and in the case of last nights game he found a winning combination with johnson and morgan (whose a beast getting up the pitch). now, you can take that to mean that the johnson/morgan combo were the reason dunfields passes are hitting players in red, or you can say that our forwards were the ones letting frings down by not creating space, but at the end of the day, terry's passes were the ones that got the ball upfield. johnson/morgan worked, so he put the ball on them (and im not just talking about short, lateral passes). frings playing it down the center didn't work, yet he kept trying it.

again, you can look at a number of X factors, players failing to create space, not enough movement off the ball, etc. but if the dunfield playing the ball out to the wing kept working, and frings playing the ball up the center didn't.. why did frings persist on playing the ball up the center? even in terms of tackles resulting in loss of possession, frings had it happen 26 times, while dunfield only had it happen 9 times.

so based off of the opta chalkboard, frings gave up possession through tackles and unsuccessful passes 41 times to dunfields 17. from what i saw in re-watching the game, it's not like dunfield wasn't in space for a pass from frings, that's just not the way frings was going. im not making that shit up!

i understand that under mariner, dunfield wasn't doing that hot. he was shit.
    but i honestly believe that this sentiment has transcended over to the new regime when it's completely unwarranted. the guy gave us a game tying goal, a game winning goal, and has persistently outperformed frings on a distribution based off of every statistic out there.

if dunfield isn't starting quality in the squad right now, then by all logic a guy whose given up more possesion than any of our other midfielders shouldn't be either. what more do the dunfield haters want?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol agreed. We have to many cb's as it is. Before bringing anymore in should be letting some of the go first. I've been saying for awhile now that even though our defence isn't great, their the hardest working defence in the league because of how bad the midfield is. If ur midfield doesn't hold possession or win any tackles ever, ur leaving ur defence exposed for 90 mins. A good example is look at Santos second goal and watch Frings and Dunfield getting completely burned, this happens all the time. I like Frings but sadly i think he's done and dunfield should not be starting ever.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Dunfield and Frings had so many bad passes up the middle because in the second half we had no height there anymore? Amerikwa can jump well but with a 50/50 ball vs. a wily better trained CD, its more like 10/90.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think some of the commentary here points to the obvious: Frings and dunfield are hurting the team more often than not.

Frings looks like he has little left in the tank, dunfield ... I think we'd all agree he's not a starter in this league.

Certainly there is some problems with our system that hurts the passing game, but at the same time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This much I agree with. Good depth player, but not a starter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other random stuff from last night:

The Bermudian CONCACAF rep who asked for a measurement of the penalty spot and 18 yard box measurements before the game. I saw him walk the spot off manually and shake his head....like his walking strides would be exact. That led to 3 BMO grounds staff coming back with him to measure and argue/discuss - with 2 guys on hand as well with paint cans if necessary. Maybe he doesn't like Mariner? (Only one of us 250 or so people in the south end around 7:25 would have seen that)

Gosh that was colder then expected - half the people were wearing shorts. TFC must have made a mint on the blankets last night. Oh...and a tea at BMO is dirt cheap in comparison to other venues.

The ref giving a yellow card to Dunfield for coming on early from his injury...even though it was the fourth official that let him on. Hope that card can be rescinded.

Santos really wanted that win last night and they know they had to work for it. The relief on Sanchez' face when the 3rd goal went in was partly because he was let off the hook from that bad punch out, but I think it was also because they knew they had a tough game.

Why was Santos support sold as a block behind our bench? (I know the answer - incompetence in the FO)

Nothing beats speed in this game....except guile. And Santos has a lot of speed and a lot of guile.

Is Mariner trying to look like one of the Hanson Bros. from SlapShot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Other random stuff from last night:

The Bermudian CONCACAF rep who asked for a measurement of the penalty spot and 18 yard box measurements before the game. I saw him walk the spot off manually and shake his head....like his walking strides would be exact. That led to 3 BMO grounds staff coming back with him to measure and argue/discuss - with 2 guys on hand as well with paint cans if necessary. Maybe he doesn't like Mariner? (Only one of us 250 or so people in the south end around 7:25 would have seen that)
    ?
    For real? He walked the distance and not used a measuring device? Thats just idiotic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also like to give a shout out to the guy in 112 last night who said i was blocking his view.

cause.. you know.. the reason i spent the entire second half away from my girlfriend and another friend i brought was because i wanted to ruin your fucking view.

Thanks for stepping up there. It was badly needed to get the atmosphere going.

It escapes me why someone would sit/stand in the south section, let alone 112, and refuse to join in chants. Usually in most parts of the world those who stand up are inherently willing to get singing. Here many people stand up but keep quiet... it's baffling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    Thanks for stepping up there. It was badly needed to get the atmosphere going.

It escapes me why someone would sit/stand in the south section, let alone 112, and refuse to join in chants. Usually in most parts of the world those who stand up are inherently willing to get singing. Here many people stand up but keep quiet... it's baffling.
    Probably bought it off a scalper not knowing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...anyone watch Mariners post game presser?

"Players making the same mistakes over and over is a problem. Not professional"

He also complained about Frings diving in on the second goal and said that it's irresponsible.

So....is it okay for Mariner to "throw his players under the bus"?

Cause I don't see it that way at all. I see it as a coach holding players accountable and admitting where there are issues. It's a good thing if you ask me.

Problem is....some people here see it as making excuses. Or at least they did when it was the dutch guy saying it.

Near the end with Winter there was a lot of talk about how he used poor individual performances as an excuse and when Mariner was appointed everybody gushed about him being "a players coach".

So which is it? Which coach is the good guy and which is the bad guy....because both have openly said that individual mistakes cost us points. And with that...I can not disagree.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    For real? He walked the distance and not used a measuring device? Thats just idiotic.
    Yeah, I watched him. He was with the 3 match officials who were all in suits. He paced off the distance, shook his head and remarked on things. BMO staff used the measuring thing later to prove him wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as i addressed before, frings was worse off than he was.

the majority of fring's failed passes were the ones he tried to push up straight through the center (11) while the majority of the ones that landed were towards the right wing (weidemans domain). he sent in several unsuccessful crosses, i'd say maybe half of those were decent. in addition to that, both silva and frings had more backpasses than he did (frings:10/silva:6/dunfield:5/) last night.

the majority of dunfields failed passes were the ones he tried to push up the center (4), while the majority of the successful ones were the ones pushed out towards the left wing (johnson/morgan).

i'm not ragging on the lateral passing, yes, it does sometimes create meaningless possession, but i maintain that any possession is good possession (unless it's in the defensive third). you have to look for space, and in the case of last nights game he found a winning combination with johnson and morgan (whose a beast getting up the pitch). now, you can take that to mean that the johnson/morgan combo were the reason dunfields passes are hitting players in red, or you can say that our forwards were the ones letting frings down by not creating space, but at the end of the day, terry's passes were the ones that got the ball upfield. johnson/morgan worked, so he put the ball on them (and im not just talking about short, lateral passes). frings playing it down the center didn't work, yet he kept trying it.

again, you can look at a number of X factors, players failing to create space, not enough movement off the ball, etc. but if the dunfield playing the ball out to the wing kept working, and frings playing the ball up the center didn't.. why did frings persist on playing the ball up the center? even in terms of tackles resulting in loss of possession, frings had it happen 26 times, while dunfield only had it happen 9 times.

so based off of the opta chalkboard, frings gave up possession through tackles and unsuccessful passes 41 times to dunfields 17. from what i saw in re-watching the game, it's not like dunfield wasn't in space for a pass from frings, that's just not the way frings was going. im not making that shit up!

i understand that under mariner, dunfield wasn't doing that hot. he was shit.
    but i honestly believe that this sentiment has transcended over to the new regime when it's completely unwarranted. the guy gave us a game tying goal, a game winning goal, and has persistently outperformed frings on a distribution based off of every statistic out there.

if dunfield isn't starting quality in the squad right now, then by all logic a guy whose given up more possesion than any of our other midfielders shouldn't be either. what more do the dunfield haters want?
    Look, you're not going to get an argument from me that Frings hasn't been horrible, because he's been pretty dire lately. But look at the passing percentages you posted and they're not much better than under Winter. Dunfield routinely passed in the high 60% range back then, too.

Now compare that to any of the starting tandem on any winning team in this league, and you'll find they're ALL over 70% consistently, and quite typically 80%.

How awful Frings has been does not change the fact that Dunfield is also awful. He picks the safest pass EVERY time, so if the guy coming back to him on the wing is the safe outlet, that's where the ball goes.

The fact that we have HALF the pass attempts of most teams we play demonstrates that no one is trying to force anything; Frings, for all his problems of age, is passing poorly because he's actively trying through balls, balls into space, balls that might actually open the other team up. Simply "Not fucking up because you haven't tried anything" is not a solid basis for being a starter.

I'm happy for the two goals; I'd be happier if he regularly dictated the pace, movement and play of the offense, ala Kyle Beckerman or Gershon Koffie or Juninho. That's what we need to compete.

Terry Dunfield? The guy couldn't start at Bury in League Two, and Barry Robson, who's now in the role at Vancouver that Dunfield was originally supposed to fill, is hardly making a go of it at this level. Barry Robson = much much much > Terry Dunfield.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-29-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    jeez, how hard can it really be to relocate yourself to an empty seat somewhere else when the stadium is empty?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy couldn't start at Bury in League Two
    Just like Eckersley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree, this is a very different sport than most, sometimes the easiest way to go forward is by moving backwards. for the most part though, when we're playing this formation it's about moving forward and getting the ball upfield as quickly as possible. if we're looking at last nights game, excluding the backpasses, we're still left with:

TOTAL SUCCESSFUL UNSUCCESSFUL %
    FRINGS 57 32 25 56
    DUNFIELD 41 33 8 81
    You'll never convince the haters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I don't want to get off topic here, but this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed going forward. While losing has alot to do with the decrease in atmosphere this season, the supporters corner from 110-113 is starting to get a really mixed crowd due to people dumping their tickets, and others wanting to be where the atmosphere is (thanks to tfc's marketing strategy) yet not willing to take part in it.
    I have spent the whole season in 110-113, as well as the two dome games in the supporters corner. The liverpool game has been discussed previously, when skydome refused to honor the supporters section rules, and forced people to sit. I fear this will happen at BMO.
    In the "ex" game against KC, there were many families in 112/113, and many people sitting down. If this continues, I fear MLSE will just start catering to the soccer mom crowd and outlaw the standing, singing and banners altogether.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    So...anyone watch Mariners post game presser?

"Players making the same mistakes over and over is a problem. Not professional"

He also complained about Frings diving in on the second goal and said that it's irresponsible.

So....is it okay for Mariner to "throw his players under the bus"?

Cause I don't see it that way at all. I see it as a coach holding players accountable and admitting where there are issues. It's a good thing if you ask me.

Problem is....some people here see it as making excuses. Or at least they did when it was the dutch guy saying it.

Near the end with Winter there was a lot of talk about how he used poor individual performances as an excuse and when Mariner was appointed everybody gushed about him being "a players coach".

So which is it? Which coach is the good guy and which is the bad guy....because both have openly said that individual mistakes cost us points. And with that...I can not disagree.
    great post!.........Mariner is not a players' coach......he's a screaming buffoon........