Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earl Cochrane told me at last weeks town hall that Eric Avila is a free agent and is not on an option year. I don't think he will be signed. He didn't play a lot while Mariner was coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eric Avila is party animal not a professional soccer player. I remember seeing him at Cobra at collage st and he didn't look so good to me he was there with eks. I noticed eks and approached him he took the time to exchange a few words with me. Avila on the other hand put his finger on his lips and signaled shhhhhh WTF! He defenetly looked wacked to me. He's not dedicated no wonder he's so skinny.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Eric Avila is party animal not a professional soccer player. I remember seeing him at Cobra at collage st and he didn't look so good to me he was there with eks. I noticed eks and approached him he took the time to exchange a few words with me. Avila on the other hand put his finger on his lips and signaled shhhhhh WTF! He defenetly looked wacked to me. He's not dedicated no wonder he's so skinny.
    he's talented simple as that!.......what? he was on a day off relaxing , and he didn't want to talk to you, esp with the way he was ignored here in TO??.....oh my! I'm surprised he was so obliging at the year -end party esp ....when he knew he wouldn't be back, and maybe being told to show up~..I wouldn't ala Cann
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got Avila to sign something at the year end party. No words were exchanged and he seemed content no one was really "flocking" to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    he's talented simple as that!
    Am i the only one here that thinks Avila is crap? and please don't say things like playing out of position because i think he looked crap playing in his position as well. Offers very little offensively and defensively and most of the time is non existent. Can't wait for him to leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not about him not wanting to talk with a fan but as for being shit faced is another. Question is would you want a player like that on the squad who loves to party and get messed up next to a young kid like plata? From what I figure they got along quite well before plata went off on loan. I know one thing this player Avila has talent but if he is a party animal which I think he is get rid of him we need football players on tfc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This talk of Avila being a party animal is bizarre and yet interesting. It reminds me of a young player Oxford had a few years ago called Bobby Ford. He was CLASS on the field and all the fans thought he would go onto play in the premiership. He was being scouted for a while from various big clubs. Then it all went quiet. I used to go to the Oxford supporters club during reserve games and Ford was always at the bar. I mean literally *always*. Somebody then told me that Ford was a drunk and a chain smoker. I didn't believe it at first, but then realised it was totally true and Ford used to smoke constrantly while at the bar, and I watched as he drank beer after beer after games. It turns out he was a complete boozer and Oxford used to nurse him through pre season every year as he was so gassed from the smoke and drink. He eventually left for Sheffield United but his career fizzled out and he never reached the heights he should have.

so, you don't know with some players - we don't see what happens behind closed doors. Could be true about Avila, you never know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

George Best is the only footballer I would want to play on my team boozing and everyday. At least he can score hatricks and braces while being drunk on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think assuming Eric Avila is a disruptive "party animal" because he MAY have had one too many one night and is skinny is about the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen posted on a board, anywhere.

Jeez, what a nasty-ass, low thing to say about someone you don't know. Hell, about someone you DO know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benficachop20 View Post
    Am i the only one here that thinks Avila is crap? and please don't say things like playing out of position because i think he looked crap playing in his position as well. Offers very little offensively and defensively and most of the time is non existent. Can't wait for him to leave.
    He's not been consistent for 90 minutes, but he's the only one on the team that can handle the ball in tight quarters. Every game he came in under Mariner he set something up and/or otherwise had some influence on the game. He may not be a starter but he's a quality player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm calling it right now. Ready?
    • Toronto FC trade/release Andrew Weidemann, Freddy Hall, and Jeremy Hall, and possibly Eric Avila to make place for another BIG NAME attacking midfielder.
    • Toronto FC acquire american centreback (unnamed) on a $180,000+ salary
    • Toronto FC acquire veteran leftback to mentor Ashtone Morgan, and provide depth as Pasher remains in the Academy system.
    • Toronto FC acquire various other foreign + mls local midfield talent on $80,000 - $128,000 contracts
    • After a nail biting winter, fans are still waiting for a 'big name' player with signs of promise, whats this? We all spend the day on the forums as Brad Davis + Dwayne De Rosario unfold their new Toronto FC Jersey.

(Do I have you smiling yet?)
    • We win the Mickey Mouse cup and as the team heads home to Toronto on their flight Terry Dunfield looks around and mutters 'Wait... Did we forget Aaron Maund?' as Maund is still so unaware of his surroundings that he's parked in the middle of the pitch confused as to what to do. He remains unseen for the entire 2013 season on the missing persons list.

Our starting squad hits the pitch in montreal made up of Frei minding the net with an impressive defensive line infront of him in Eckersley, (unnamed american centreback), O'dea, and Morgan. Infront of them a holding midfielder in (I guess..) Frings, but of course most would prefer Dunfield, left of midfield free-kick genius Brad Davis stars, followed up by Reggie Lambe on the right and Dwayne De Rosario sporting the captains arm band centre attacking midfield. (Havn't quite worked out the brilliant strike force yet.)

The list of the bench hits the screen it reads out with names such as pacey Jaoa Plata, former academy players Matt Stinson and Doneil Henry, don't forget the talented 2012 draft pick Luis Silva.

/end fantasy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think assuming Eric Avila is a disruptive "party animal" because he MAY have had one too many one night and is skinny is about the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen posted on a board, anywhere.

Jeez, what a nasty-ass, low thing to say about someone you don't know. Hell, about someone you DO know.
    You don't have to like my post and yes it is kinda nasty but I can't deny what I saw that night and the man looked trashed. As for the skinny comment he looked like my uncle who died of alcoholism 2 years ago. But then again your untitled to your own opinion. Enjoy reading your posts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have to like my post and yes it is kinda nasty but I can't deny what I saw that night and the man looked trashed. As for the skinny comment he looked like my uncle who died of alcoholism 2 years ago. But then again your untitled to your own opinion. Enjoy reading your posts!
    so what if he looked trashed 'that' night - who the f@#k cares?? let him have a night or 2 on his off-nights....and 50% on your yours...as it were...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avila's the best ball distributer we have (or likely "had"). He doesn't defend in the traditional way of going shoulder to shoulder and putting in big tackles, but if that's what defending means than Xavi doesn't defend either. Avila can pressure, and he worked really well during that one month or so at the end of last season that we were actually playing high pressure football. Payne wants to play high pressure football and he's pretty much the only player on our roster currently capable of doing that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, I'm not trying to pile on here but you're going waaay too far down the road with your assumptions.

There are plenty of professional soccer players who are slight of frame like Avila, not everyone can accommodate a lot of muscle mass while meeting cardiovascular (for the lack of a better word) requirements. As for being an alcoholic, just because you saw him at the bar once getting shitfaced doesn't mean he does it all the time and it gets in the way of his job as a full time athlete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, the only person you're allowed to assume is an alchoholic around here is Mariner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^If it quacks like a duck...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to take sides....but Mariner did say that he thought that the city (Toronto) had gotten to Eric. He added that he has known Eric since his early college years and he was not playing up to his potential in the later part of the season. He also said that Eric didn't have his head in the game and had lost his focus and he has told him as much.

For what it's worth......
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm in the Avila sucks crowd and never saw much of anything from him other than being the decent with the ball in comparison to what we had at the end of last season when our roster was a total nightmare. On any decent MLS side Avila does not start, perhaps doesn't play regularly at all. The fact that he didn't play enough here means nothing because if we intend to move forward and be a decent MLS we shouldn't settle for negligible bench players who make $130k+. Take Avila's salary and compare it to others on good MLS teams and see what better players can be had for less. I'm done settling for the 'he is technically good and a great passer of the ball and sometimes makes a flashy play' types and expect guys who do the job day in and day out and get results in the end. Avila's been around a while, played for a few managers, and hardly distinguished himself as a dependable $100k+ player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avila I think is not mentally tough enough, and needs to work on his confidence.

Also, he's not effective in a 4-4-2 set up. He needs to play AM in 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 or any formation that uses AM
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

moving in another direction, why on earth would a team exercise an option on a DP (Hassli) a week before they bring in a new president..... Surely any intelligence dictates to wait and see if this aligns with their beliefs and keep as much flexibility as possible before locking up a chunk of salary.

What if KP is just like hmmm.. I wouldn't have advised that.....

awkward...

Its laughable that TFC management has over 1 million worth of salary cap locked up on three players who are all question marks regarding health.

This organization is a joke.....

And we have no flexibility to get out of the mess, nor do we really have young options on the team who could quickly grow into difference makers, and even so nor do we have a coach who is confident enough in his security to give any chance to up and comers.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    He's not been consistent for 90 minutes, but he's the only one on the team that can handle the ball in tight quarters. Every game he came in under Mariner he set something up and/or otherwise had some influence on the game. He may not be a starter but he's a quality player.
    bang on....esp in our limited league...........
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a suggestion what do you guys and gals think of maybe bringing in CB/RB Marcin Wasilewski polish international
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcin_Wasilewski
    Love the way he plays and would fit MLS well. Physical and strong good passer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a suggestion what do you guys and gals think of maybe bringing in CB/RB Marcin Wasilewski polish international
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcin_Wasilewski
    Love the way he plays and would fit MLS well. Physical and strong good passer
    With Darren O'dea willing to 'run through brick walls' and Marcin Wasilewski apparently being super-human? Sounds decent enough.
    His drive to return was rewarded with a new contract until the summer of 2013, with the club talking about him as "a club monument, who had to deliver an inhuman battle"