Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Oh, I agree, of course.

But what we NEED it another decent CB. The "cheapest" overall way of getting it would be to get a GA centre back in the draft next year. The higher we go up the table now, the less chance of have of getting one. With there being no expansion team in the draft, you can get a very good player in picks 1,2 and 3, I would say. (which is realistically what we will get, anyways, even with a vast improvement in form).
    Too bad Mariner traded away our first round draft pick in order to "win now." Even if we placed last, the best we could have is pick #20. When you're that far down, it doesn't really matter if you are 20 or 25.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I agree, of course.

But what we NEED it another decent CB. The "cheapest" overall way of getting it would be to get a GA centre back in the draft next year. The higher we go up the table now, the less chance of have of getting one. With there being no expansion team in the draft, you can get a very good player in picks 1,2 and 3, I would say. (which is realistically what we will get, anyways, even with a vast improvement in form).
    Austin Berry and Matt Hedges are both starting now at Chicago and Dallas. We could have had either of them in the 2012 draft. Intead we drafted Silva for a position we don't even really have any more. Silva's good, but we all knew our needs and decided not to draft for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Too bad Mariner traded away our first round draft pick in order to "win now."
    He traded a 2014 pick - we still get our natural 2013 pick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Austin Berry and Matt Hedges are both starting now at Chicago and Dallas. We could have had either of them in the 2012 draft. Intead we drafted Silva for a position we don't even really have any more. Silva's good, but we all knew our needs and decided not to draft for it.
    I kinda of agree - but I also think you should pick the "best available player" irrespective of position when it comes to your pick. If Silva was that player, then that's fine.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He traded a 2014 pick - we still get our natural 2013 pick.
    Yep. But our second rounder is gone for Jeremy Hall.

One pick next year then the supplemental draft.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda of agree - but I also think you should pick the "best available player" irrespective of position when it comes to your pick. If Silva was that player, then that's fine.

We may not have gotten that either. Berry scored the winner against us when we last played Chicago. Either or both of these guys could end up being an Omar Gonzalez.
    Last edited by Canary10; 08-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game like a lot of other MLS games - I don't see TOO much difference between the teams. Really, there is not a lot of difference between the top teams and the bottom through the MLS.
    Having said that, I've seen SKC play several times over the last month or so, and they looked dreadful on Saturday -- definitely playing down to their lackluster opponents. Almost like they had the attitude of "hell, we can play like shit and still take the three points."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    Having said that, I've seen SKC play several times over the last month or so, and they looked dreadful on Saturday -- definitely playing down to their lackluster opponents. Almost like they had the attitude of "hell, we can play like shit and still take the three points."
    They are a very scrappy team, that really tries to beat the hell out of the opposing squad in the midfield. Successful, without a doubt, but otherwise I find them quite negative tactically. Seen them play a lot of games that were borderline unwatchable because they take as many tactical fouls as they can get away with... and then some.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    This has got to be the END, the actual terminus of all conversations about this team. There is nothing left to say after this, after the point has been reached where A) allowing the most shots can be spun into a positive quality that provides development time and even if that UNBELIEVABLE statement is true, where someone can say with a straight face that B) "aspiring GK's ... knocking on our door" is something in any way, shape or form related to addressing the dire plight faced by this team.

That's it for me, I've been stunned into silence from here on out. Thank you and good night.
    I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well eh?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^^ Cool man glad to hear it got taken care of bud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which coincidentally, is exactly what they did on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can see this either way. So, did Kansas play REALLY badly on Saturday, or did Mariner's tactics actually work against them and closed them down so they couldn't play? They certainly had a tough time breaking TFC down. If they have been opening up teams a lot easier than TFC, maybe Mariner got something right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can see this either way. So, did Kansas play REALLY badly on Saturday, or did Mariner's tactics actually work against them and closed them down so they couldn't play? They certainly had a tough time breaking TFC down. If they have been opening up teams a lot easier than TFC, maybe Mariner got something right?
    SKC was clearly the better team playing with 60% possession and purpose, it was still a road game for them. If TFC managed to play successful anti-football at HOME against them for 80 Min it is nothing for TFC fans to feel good about.
    Last edited by starter; 08-21-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    SKC was clearly the better team playing with 60% possession and purpose, it was still a road game for them. If TFC managed to play successful anti-football at HOME against them for 80 Min it is nothing for TFC fans to feel good about.
    I agree. But the game was like any team trying to compete with the best team in the league. Mariner definitely set out differently in this one compared to Portland (a much worse team than Kansas). Anyways, it all got stuck in midfield and made me want to take a nap!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, so to rephrase this....

"Even with perfect tactics we still can't win"

That really flies in the face of the old "we just need a couple tweaks" statement doesn't it?

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well eh?
    Bah! You lie, kind sir! You said it like you meant it, and I resent your attempt at trying to stop this old man from shouting at his cloud!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    Hmmm, so to rephrase this....

"Even with perfect tactics we still can't win"

That really flies in the face of the old "we just need a couple tweaks" statement doesn't it?
    We probably DO need only a couple of tweaks actually.

I'm going to suggest something that I don't think many will agree with:

I think some of our problems start with our goally. Don't get me wrong - I think Kocic is a GREAT shot-stopper. He's clearly kept us in many games this season. BUT, his communication seems very poor for a goally. Organising a team starts from the back, and a few times this season Kocic clearly hasn't been vocal enough. I think this is where having a veteran goally with a lot more experience would really help TFC. Jimmy Nielson may be an old guy for Kansas - but his experience is invaluable for them. Kocic doesn't have anywhere near as much experience even though he's 27 years old. I really think TFC would benefit from a more veteran goally like Nielson.

Kocic really should have arranged the wall better for that free kick on Saturday, and his position should have been much better. Equally I thought Kocic was at fault for the first Portland gaol last week - he should have come for that cross. He started to come - then stopped, ended up in no-mans-land, and we conceded. A vet goally would have known either to commit and go for the cross (he could have easily punched that ball away) OR stick to the goal line. He did something in between, and it gave away a goal that was a basic goalkeeper error.

We've got a defence full of early 20 year olds, we really need a vet goally to bark out instructions and make commited moves. I don't think Kocic gives us anything like that right now.

Again, I'll say its hard to fault a guy who's kept us in so many games and made so many fine saves. But a vet goally might be what the whole team needs right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We probably DO need only a couple of tweaks actually.

I'm going to suggest something that I don't think many will agree with:

I think some of our problems start with our goally. Don't get me wrong - I think Kocic is a GREAT shot-stopper. He's clearly kept us in many games this season. BUT, his communication seems very poor for a goally. Organising a team starts from the back, and a few times this season Kocic clearly hasn't been vocal enough. I think this is where having a veteran goally with a lot more experience would really help TFC. Jimmy Nielson may be an old guy for Kansas - but his experience is invaluable for them. Kocic doesn't have anywhere near as much experience even though he's 27 years old. I really think TFC would benefit from a more veteran goally like Nielson.

Kocic really should have arranged the wall better for that free kick on Saturday, and his position should have been much better. Equally I thought Kocic was at fault for the first Portland gaol last week - he should have come for that cross. He started to come - then stopped, ended up in no-mans-land, and we conceded. A vet goally would have known either to commit and go for the cross (he could have easily punched that ball away) OR stick to the goal line. He did something in between, and it gave away a goal that was a basic goalkeeper error.

We've got a defence full of early 20 year olds, we really need a vet goally to bark out instructions and make commited moves. I don't think Kocic gives us anything like that right now.

Again, I'll say its hard to fault a guy who's kept us in so many games and made so many fine saves. But a vet goally might be what the whole team needs right now.
    Frankly thats nonsense. Toronto's problems are almost entirley due to an ineffective midfield. Shown perfectly at the weekend by Kocic blasts down the park bypassing them and their subsequent inabilty to retrieve the ball, hold the ball, pass the ball, move for the ball, tackle for the ball and find positions around the person who briefly happened to have the ball. As a result they repeatedly gave up possesion and end up back tracking where they are disorganised and in turn place not only too much pressure on the defence but for prolonged periods also. Any defence under that strain will eventually crack and if it doesnt its down to luck. To suggest that Kocic wall positioning cost them the game is absurd. The game was lost after about 15mins. It was only a matter of time. They had no game plan that would win a game only one that would possibly cause a clumsy mistake or a fortunate set piece and then it would be backs to the wall. We've all seen how well backs to the wall works for us.