Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    the point is becoming very clear that Mellberg was nixed...
    Nonsense. You believe that, you've always believed it, you've stated it ad nauseum. But there's nothing here except inference and I disagree with your perception of waht DeGuzman is trying to say. I highly doubt Julian has a clue what was going on behind the scenes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't care if JDG is right, I am incredibly disappointed in the guy. This is what is known in the investment business as the "bad company problem": someone you don't respect has the same opinion you do!

He got paid $5MM and wouldn't tackle.

He is not a guy who has any kind of gripe about minutes or opportunity.

He should be ashamed.
    The point here about other players making him look better is certainly valid. In his first game in Dallas, with an older and more experienced team around him, he completed 38 of 42 passes and dominated the midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    I am not sure what everyone is hearing from this interview. Yes they tried to buy him out but he refused to take one cent less than what his contract stated and he wanted to cash in the full amount. This was not some heroic effort on his part, this is all about the money. They overpaid him and he wanted to collect. TFC were finally able to get rid of him, and he doesn't like or appreciate the inconvenience of being traded now with 3 to 4 months on his contract. We all know the FO is messed up. No question in my mind. But he also did not step up as a leader on the field and was average most of the time, not to mention some lack luster efforts, missing curfew at least once, and some questionable injuries.

One other thing, lets not forget about the news from his agent saying he was approaching club about extension days before he was traded. If he was so miserable then why did he do that ? Its all about the money for JDG wrt TFC.
    I tend to agree. He's never been a leader.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The point here about other players making him look better is certainly valid. In his first game in Dallas, with an older and more experienced team around him, he completed 38 of 42 passes and dominated the midfield.
    Seems like when it rains it pours. I was looking at the stats from one of their other games and JDG was in the high 40's for # of passes completed and so were a number of other players on the team.

Crazy comparison: look at the passing percentage / frequency of our backline and compare it to Dallas' backline in their last game... hell compare it to Portland's... I know "possession is what you make of it" and all that jazz, but jesus we look futile.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad really... With DeRo and JDG... We truly know how to treat our hometown players.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Seems like when it rains it pours. I was looking at the stats from one of their other games and JDG was in the high 40's for # of passes completed and so were a number of other players on the team.

Crazy comparison: look at the passing percentage / frequency of our backline and compare it to Dallas' backline in their last game... hell compare it to Portland's... I know "possession is what you make of it" and all that jazz, but jesus we look futile.
    This was true under both coaches. Our movement throught he core of our midfield and defense is so slow, it makes a quick buildup and the ability to take advantage of an opponent's space almost impossible. We generally have about half the number of total passes, because we just boot it up field constantly, with no ability to link through back and midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure what everyone is hearing from this interview. Yes they tried to buy him out but he refused to take one cent less than what his contract stated and he wanted to cash in the full amount. This was not some heroic effort on his part, this is all about the money. They overpaid him and he wanted to collect. TFC were finally able to get rid of him, and he doesn't like or appreciate the inconvenience of being traded now with 3 to 4 months on his contract. We all know the FO is messed up. No question in my mind. But he also did not step up as a leader on the field and was average most of the time, not to mention some lack luster efforts, missing curfew at least once, and some questionable injuries.

One other thing, lets not forget about the news from his agent saying he was approaching club about extension days before he was traded. If he was so miserable then why did he do that ? Its all about the money for JDG wrt TFC.
    Yeah because it's common in sports, business, etc, for an employee to hand back salary other people don't think they deserve.
    Doesn't appreciate being traded? He seems pretty happy to be out of Toronto and in Dallas.

No idea where you're coming from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I noticed in the interview is that it took him almost 3.5 minutes to look the interviewer in the eye or to even just look at the camera.
    It just seemed he was incredibly uncomfortable and a lot of things going on in his head.
    After that point he seemed to relax more and even lighten up a bit.

I know we have a messed up FO, (Cochrane, Anselmi at least) but I think we should, and will do better with the DP spot that we got out of JDG, hometown or no hometown.

But, I have nothing against him.. it's not like he didn't try here. I wish him well in Dallas, and even moreso with the Canadian team.
    Last edited by Batman; 08-17-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh... Nothing too groundbreaking this interview. He didn't want to leave and he was forced out... Now he's upset. It was time to move on. His style didn't fit, his pay didn't fit, it was never going to work. Good luck to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Yeah because it's common in sports, business, etc, for an employee to hand back salary other people don't think they deserve.
    Doesn't appreciate being traded? He seems pretty happy to be out of Toronto and in Dallas.

No idea where you're coming from.
    Yes that is why his agent was seeking an extension with TFC one day before the trade. Good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes that is why his agent was seeking an extension with TFC one day before the trade. Good one.
    And he doesn't want to stay in Dallas beyond this year either, right?

OMAGHERD he'd play in either place? Who woulda thunk that's possible. But somehow this makes us all misunderstand his comments?

I mean and what is your angle? Athletes are all about the money? Duh, that applies to the large majority of them. What an asshole JDG is, playing out his agreed upon contract!! Someone should arrest that man.

Let me know when your boss offers you half your salary to walk from your full time jerb and you happily accept. kthx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This makes it look like it was JDG's agent who instigated this trade, or at least got the ball rolling on something happening. It often seems like management here has to be pushed to do anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said he is happy to be out of Toronto and to be in Dallas, when the fact is a day before he was traded, his agent was seeking an extension with Toronto. I do not know why you keep arguing. This all about the money for JDG, and he hoped he could suck more money out of TFC, despite how poor and miserable he was here.

I have no issue with him doing whatever is best for him, but it has nothing to do with loyalty, he just wanted to cash in. Now that he has been traded, he is a sour former employee.

And you might not know this, but it does happen that people accept pay cuts all the time. No one has an obligation to employ anyone. So yes it does happen and people take pay cuts. In this case, he was protected by a contract, but now the gig is up.

Now specific to JDG, he did not give his all to TFC. So while I don't begrudge anyone making money, I dont buy it after they leave and bad mouth their former employers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd agree that JDG was compensated way more than he should have been based on what he brought to the team. I doubt there are many that can argue that he earned all that cash.

But...

I think it's also fair to agree with JDG when he IMPLIES that the way the team was run during his time here made it much more difficult for him to succeed. Who will argue with him when he says that this team has lacked a plan and a vision. It's been like that since since day 1? We change coaches and philosophies constantly. Some players can succeed under those circumstances. Other can't.

He couldn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voodoodaddy, agreed. I dont think we have many people left that think this is a functional FO or this club is run by competent people. It is a complete mess.

My point is strictly around the money piece, and his actions while here. And yes of course if we had better people in the FO, supporting him, he might have played better, but there is also personal accountability, leading by example and being a professional. And I am being kind by saying JDG was not consistent in these areas.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no issue with him doing whatever is best for him, but it has nothing to do with loyalty, he just wanted to cash in. Now that he has been traded, he is a sour former employee.
    He may be sour but he did say he's a fan of the team and wants it to succeed none the less. That's not that sour. And the money aspect has a lot to do with pride and ego of a professional as well. It may have been difficult to move after his first two lackadaisical seasons here but if it was only money he could have made as much in Scandinavia where so many Canucks have gone. He stuck it out to our detriment, unfortunatley, but it wasn't only money keeping him here.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    He may be sour but he did say he's a fan of the team and wants it to succeed none the less. That's not that sour. And the money aspect has a lot to do with pride and ego of a professional as well. It may have been difficult to move after his first two lackadaisical seasons here but if it was only money he could have made as much in Scandinavia where so many Canucks have gone. He stuck it out to our detriment, unfortunatley, but it wasn't only money keeping him here.
    I think we will find out this off season what his value is, in Europe and NA. You may be right but I am thinking he would be lucky to get half what he got from TFC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nonsense. You believe that, you've always believed it, you've stated it ad nauseum. But there's nothing here except inference and I disagree with your perception of waht DeGuzman is trying to say. I highly doubt Julian has a clue what was going on behind the scenes.
    de Guzman said that they used his DP spot on Hassli. We can argue whether he is in the know or not. I've got to assume that as a Designated Player he is somewhat familiar with contractual but you are right, he isn't quoting from the MLS Collective Bargaining Agreement.

However, when the team only offers "No comment" as an explanation, this is what we are left with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    One thing I noticed in the interview is that it took him almost 3.5 minutes to look the interviewer in the eye or to even just look at the camera.
    It just seemed he was incredibly uncomfortable and a lot of things going on in his head.
    After that point he seemed to relax more and even lighten up a bit.
    Pretty standard for his interviews, he's not really the look into the camera type.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we will find out this off season what his value is, in Europe and NA. You may be right but I am thinking he would be lucky to get half what he got from TFC.
    Indeed. I think you're right about his value over there now but i was referring to his value after 2 seasons here. I think his stock wasn't as bad especially since he's been traded within MLS now.

He was trying ( not convincingly) to say he may stay in Dallas if it works but I don't think he cares for the league and his family isn't here = lower divisions in Europe.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I choose to wait until I see O'Dea actually take the field for us before I make that call.

A few years back when we had Cann and Attakora at the back, we seemed fairly solid (for about 75 minutes a match anyways) and Cann was seen as 'the boss' and Attakora was the young CB hustling for tackles. Now if we are using O' Dea and Eckersley back there for example, I would have to say (on paper at least):

O' Dea & Eck > Cann & Attakora
    Why not Mellberg & O'Dea with Eck and Morgan/Henry out wide? That could have been one of the better backlines (on paper) than we have ever had.

O'Dea signing would not have been prevented by Mellberg

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a result, we have Hassli and still sit last in the league without a "boss" on the back line. If anyone believes that not making Mellberg a Red was a mistake, that isn't the fault of New England's turf, that is completely a managerial decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I choose to wait until I see O'Dea actually take the field for us before I make that call.
    O' Dea & Eck > Cann & Attakora
    Why not Mellberg & O'Dea with Eck and Morgan/Henry out wide? That could have been one of the better backlines (on paper) than we have ever had.

O'Dea signing would not have been prevented by Mellberg
    Pook, look again. UandP wasn't saying we are better off he's saying O'Dea may be the boss you think we don't have. I'm sure you'll be hard pressed to find anyone to say we're better off without Mellberg.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those stats are meaningless. He is the master of the square ball and the back pass.

If he's so "dominant", why is he getting utility-player type minutes? (300 of the 720 he theoretically could have played since the trade).

His performance here was simply awful. I'm not interested in his opinion about anything.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-17-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Pook, look again. UandP wasn't saying we are better off he's saying O'Dea may be the boss you think we don't have. I'm sure you'll be hard pressed to find anyone to say we're better off without Mellberg.
    Could be. I'm on just a few hours sleep and British Columbia time having got back late last night.

I guess I'm saying is that O'Dea could be the boss but with Mellberg AND O'Dea, that would be a much backline than O'Dea and Hassli

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be. I'm on just a few hours sleep and British Columbia time having got back late last night.

I guess I'm saying is that O'Dea could be the boss but with Mellberg AND O'Dea, that would be a much backline than O'Dea and Hassli
    HAhahaha we'll never know until Mariner tries it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Those stats are meaningless. He is the master of the square ball and the back pass.

If he's so "dominant", why is he getting utility-player type minutes? (300 of the 720 he theoretically could have played since the trade).

His performance here was simply awful. I'm not interested in his opinion about anything.
    So, between this and the discussion in the other thread about TFC's record being so much better with Kouvermans it seems that the only important decision the team really had to make was to get the right DP.... All this talk of systems and formations and academies and everything else doesn't seem to have muc of an effect on wins and losses.

Get the DP right and you win games. Get it wrong and you don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think there's more to it than that, although getting the DP slots right is a big part of it. Personally, I think two is optimal as opposed to three, since it leaves you too little cap space to deal with. Other things on my list

1. value regular roster signings - Seems like we are always overpaying or underwhelmed.... I'd kill for one Bernardez, Lindpere, Felipe, etc...

2. Turning borderline professionals into contributors - designing a system where your Dan Gargan, Brian Mullen, Ante Jazic, types can contribute and not hurt your team. I'll give Mariner that, he seems to get better than average performances from players who are otherwise shit. But I still see a problem in that we do the talent valuation part so poorly, it makes everything else that much more difficult. Other teams don't have to stretch as far because they find better talent to work with.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    So, between this and the discussion in the other thread about TFC's record being so much better with Kouvermans it seems that the only important decision the team really had to make was to get the right DP.... All this talk of systems and formations and academies and everything else doesn't seem to have muc of an effect on wins and losses.

No, get the team chemistry and coaching right and you win games. Dose, or lack their of, are just one piece of the puzzle

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post

Yes and no.

I think it has an impact on team's like Toronto to help them become competitive because the rest of the roster is relatively poor (when compared with the average MLS depth). It can make them better... as better players tend to do but a better depth team can simply play around the strengths and exploit the weaknesses. It is important for Toronto because the other areas are so weak.

In terms of systems and formations and academies and player selection, it is absolutely important. SKC is coming this weekend and are having their success without any DP help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and no.

I think it has an impact on team's like Toronto to help them become competitive because the rest of the roster is relatively poor (when compared with the average MLS depth). It can make them better... as better players tend to do but a better depth team can simply play around the strengths and exploit the weaknesses. It is important for Toronto because the other areas are so weak.

In terms of systems and formations and academies and player selection, it is absolutely important. SKC is coming this weekend and are having their success without any DP help.
    To get to the top of the table, sure. But to be a top five team? If Kouvermans had been healthy and in shape from the start of the season would this team have started 0-9? It would have changed everything.