Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    The message I took in watching this was that it was embarrassing PR for Torsten and the team.
    My thoughts, exactly.

This video publicly exhibits everything that is wrong with TFC in its current state and although the intention was to promote the "good deed" initiative, it is in fact showcasing a population that is unfamiliar with an international soccer star. Did the FO not realize this before they elected to post this for the world to see? People in Germany must be shaking their heads when they view this video... hell, people everywhere will be shaking their heads when they view it.

How much more embarrassment can this FO cause?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I feel bad for Fringgs.

I am going to voice one of my beefs once again, but this is a football city, but many, many , many of us call football; calcio.
    I get it but I am sure alot don't, good one though,lol
    Is this what you are referring to: The Italian word for football is calcio and this is the word used to make reference to the sport in Italy, as opposed to football in England or soccer in the United States and Canada.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It tells me something about the FO for posting this, I feel sorry for Frings. The reality is that College basketball and sometimes even high school foot ball are more popular than proffessional soccer in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Code Red View Post
    Why is attendance down? Part of the answer to that lies in this video:

I used to think this was a soccer city. Now I'm starting to think otherwise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if you go back to that video and count the number of people on their phone in one way shape or form, it would be close to 40%. As for the rest, we're talking the GO, but not during rush hour(it wasn't that busy and how many dark pants guys with ties did we see (standard downtown office attire?). I'm thinking that was around 11 am. That, and how many people actually talk to a stranger about something when on the train?

Face it people, TFC did that on purpose to make a point.

Now, if he did that bit at Yonge and Egg, you'd get a VERY different response.

The point of the video is to get the response seen on here already - "darn I'd give my eye to play with him." That video is aimed at coaches and players. And it is darn effective, truth be told.

But I'm into meta guerrilla marketing so what do I know.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think if you go back to that video and count the number of people on their phone in one way shape or form, it would be close to 40%. As for the rest, we're talking the GO, but not during rush hour(it wasn't that busy and how many dark pants guys with ties did we see (standard downtown office attire?). I'm thinking that was around 11 am. That, and how many people actually talk to a stranger about something when on the train?

The point of the video is to get the response seen on here already - "darn I'd give my eye to play with him." That video is aimed at coaches and players. And it is darn effective, truth be told.

TOTAL BS. Embarassing and pathetic. They should be ashamed of themselves. instead of postinf videos like this, this should come up with a strategy to increase awareness and exposure to TFC so this shit does not happen again. Unbelievable. I was hurting watching this video. Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic. Whoever though of that should get fired. TODAY. I am writing TFC now to complain. So should everyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking shameful is what that is.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of me thinks it would have been funnier with Dunfield and his goofy grin. Or maybe Mariner. But Frings is the most effective.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    TOTAL BS....
    Excuse me? Are you saying I'm full of it? Cause I assure you this isn't the first time this sort of thing has been done in the world.

Look, you could do the same thing in the London Underground with a good number of the recent GB squad and get the same response. And get the same response from passers by.

Or try it with anybody but Christine Sinclair right now from the Canadian Women's team. And get the same response from a coach which is "Darn, I'd love to have my kids have a kick around with them."

And if anybody here thinks Frings is somehow unmanned by this, or has less self-esteem, I think you underestimate him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excuse me? Are you saying I'm full of it? Cause I assure you this isn't the first time this sort of thing has been done in the world.

Look, you could do the same thing in the London Underground with a good number of the recent GB squad and get the same response. And get the same response from passers by.

Or try it with anybody but Christine Sinclair right now from the Canadian Women's team. And get the same response from a coach which is "Darn, I'd love to have my kids have a kick around with them."

And if anybody here thinks Frings is somehow unmanned by this, or has less self-esteem, I think you underestimate him.
    I disagree. How often do u see someone with a soccer ball at Union or a subway station?? mmm.. never? Would it be the same response of Phil Kessel stood in the same spot with a hocket stick and ball??? Come on!!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some valid points. I agree that you could try this with other famous people in situations like this and get a similar response. If the goal was to generate conversation they've nailed that goal.

But I have to say I felt very uncomfortable watching it and I felt embarrassed for the guy. I just don't think it came off that well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How come a comment hasn't been posted at the bottom of the page yet?

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/08...ght-good-deeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    How come a comment hasn't been posted at the bottom of the page yet?

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/08...ght-good-deeds
    i emailed tfc management with my disappointment. everyone else shud too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    That video actually makes me feel sick.
    uh-huh......I'm speechless....it''l never change never ,....only new owners,....thats that....they are going to force us all to give up our passion.....unbelievable..assholes!

what a classy guy...and the joke is he could buy out those idiot FO kiss asses!
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is attendance down? Part of the answer to that lies in this video:

I used to think this was a soccer city. Now I'm starting to think otherwise.
    Toronto proper isn't a soccer city, but 905 region is different story. I am not surprised seeing this video.

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I am going to voice one of my beefs once again, but this is a football city, but many, many , many of us call football; calcio.
    Not where I am from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is TFC12 is about raising money and awareness for various charities over the next 12 days. The video is supposed to be supporting that. I totally agree it's very obscure in the point it's making and how it connects with this initiative. But people should give TFC a break on it. It's a good initiative, but the execution on the video isn't. Kind of looks like someone's guerilla marketing project gone awry. Respect to Torsten for doing it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel sorry for frings, he stood there for that long and only 2 ppl came up, that's embarrasing. they should of went to eaton center or something like that, and shouldn't of upload this vid at all. i hope i was there, i would play pass with a former world-known soccer star all day lol.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    TOTAL BS. Embarassing and pathetic. They should be ashamed of themselves. instead of postinf videos like this, this should come up with a strategy to increase awareness and exposure to TFC so this shit does not happen again. Unbelievable. I was hurting watching this video. Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic. Whoever though of that should get fired. TODAY. I am writing TFC now to complain. So should everyone else.
    Good luck. They will send you a generic reply that can be summed up as, "Thank you for your input. Now F--- Off."

I think we ought to devote a section to Front Office's embarrassing/demeaning marketing campaigns. For starters:

Memorable Quotes:

"It's almost surreal, like when you walk into the stadium and the place is filling up"

"The energy is just mounting towards kickoff"

"It's so much fun, like, everyone's so into the game that the atmosphere just makes you want to be a part of it even if you don't really watch socco or appriciate the game the way that it is played"

"Definitely is a bonding kind of experience when you go to a TFC game"

"It's always a good time if you go with a lot of people. You connect more with your friends and family, I think"

Memorable Quotes:

"The atmosphere I find is the greatest, it's different than any other sport, I've been to all the various activities including the olympics and it's just the atmosphere at football, it's just great, like the the fans, the noise, it's a great thing to share"

"TFC have done a great job creating a really authentic experience"

"You sort of really get wrapped up and it's just a great atmosphere and it's much like being in a, you know, soccer stadium in Europe"

"I'm not sure how you can leave the stadium not having had a great time whether it's a nil-nil game or 4-0 win for TFC"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE thinks they can be something if they just say it enough times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's worst about this current marketing is that they are flat out selling lies and ghosts of the past. The fools who believe this and buy tickets, will show up and realize this, and then never believe this garbage again. If they were going to push the atmosphere angle, they should have tried to repair it first.

Bloody idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The story on the website about Torsten reminds me of the violinist on the Metro

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/mus...nist_metro.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things would be better if more advertising was around. Or just let a Muslim Sheikh from Abu Dhabi buy the team

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Confused a little here. Seems like the majority of the responses here are saying that the video embarrassed a star player and is yet another example of how out of touch the FO is with the team. True or not, that's the take away from their market (season ticket holders are coaches and players after all)

That can't be a good thing... can it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you guys are missing that this is supporting a charitable initiative of the team. They're trying to get people to "think differently." Putting Torsten Frings in Union Station or whatever it was, was a pretty good guerilla marketing idea to make that point. But it cleary failed in execution given that no one recognized him. I think they tried to run with the video they had and adjust the copy to the point they were trying to make, but it didn't work. The fact that no one even knows what the underlying campaign is that it's supposed to be supporting is pretty bad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think you guys are missing that this is supporting a charitable initiative of the team. They're trying to get people to "think differently." Putting Torsten Frings in Union Station or whatever it was, was a pretty good guerilla marketing idea to make that point. But it cleary failed in execution given that no one recognized him. I think they tried to run with the video they had and adjust the copy to the point they were trying to make, but it didn't work. The fact that no one even knows what the underlying campaign is that it's supposed to be supporting is pretty bad.

I think the video is missing that.

We're starting to get it because other people, like yourself, are able to tell us what it's 'supposed' to be. If you have to explain a campaign, advertisment or joke, it doesn't work.

What am I supposed to be 'thinking differently' about? It's an honest question.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    I think the video is missing that.

We're starting to get it because other people, like yourself, are able to tell us what it's 'supposed' to be. If you have to explain a campaign, advertisment or joke, it doesn't work.

What am I supposed to be 'thinking differently' about? It's an honest question.
    Lol. I have no effing idea. It's not a well thought out campaign. Or too clever by half maybe.

The web site says the first charity is about "promoting the donation of generousity and helping to alter behaviour in a routine dominated society." I guess trying to alter the "routine dominated society" by putting Torsten Frings in a high traffic area that is about routine (commuting to work) was the idea.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What you don't realize is that they edited this video down to the bare bones of the quote. Most of the meat and potatoes of the video isn't even here. Here is what was really said during those taped interviews:

"It's almost surreal, like when you walk into the stadium and the place is filling up. It's only after the 55th minute and the place is finally full do you realize, 'wow, people take their sweet ass time to fill this small stadium"

"The energy is just mounting towards kickoff. then the whistle blows and 26 seconds later we're down 1 - nil"

"It's so much fun, like, everyone's so into the game that the atmosphere just makes you want to be a part of it even if you don't really watch soccer or appropriate the game the way that it is played. They could be playing cricket for all I care! As long as there are people doing crazy things in the stands, it doesn't matter what's happening on the field."

"It's always a good time if you go with a lot of people. You connect more with your friends and family and the less you have to focus on what's actually happening on the field."

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So after 2 threads of complaining that they are doing it wrong...

What would we like to see in a TFC ad?

We are by far the most critical but in a way least likely to change our opinions about going to a game because of an ad so although we'll see an ad before most of the rest of the local community we probably are not the target either.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    It wasn't the fact that the game was rescheduled, it their attempt to make amends by issuing me unsold tickets to a game I already had tickets purchased for. The day they tried to make me a ticket agent was the day I gave up on the FO. There is no hope these people will ever get their act together.
    Wait, they gave you 3 games for the price of one, and you think this is something to complain about? We had a terrific light-show in the evening (I've never seen lightening like that in my life) and 10 AM match the next day was fantastic. And a year later, people are still whining?

As for the video ... the only time I'm ever in that corridor, I'm normally late for a GO Train (often heading to BMO!) - not sure I'd even notice someone as I run to my platform. I'm sure what happened, is exactly what they expected to happen. It's similar to the experiment when the Washington Post got a world-class violinist to play in a DC metro station a few years ago - there's a great article and video about it. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040401721.html
    Last edited by nfitz; 08-14-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Oh, I see gracos was also reminded about that Metro violinist. I've linked the original story though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are these ads originally from anyway? Is it from the TFC website? I don't get/watch a lot of TV, but I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for TFC (outside of during a game or something like that). Perhaps they should start by aiming at a different target? If I'm on the TFC website, I'm probably already interested.

I might go to the occasional Blue Jays or Raptors game, but I don't ever visit their official sites. nor have I ever thought about doing so.

If these ads were actually from a form of media that I don't have to actively search out myself then please, pay no attention to the man behind this keyboard.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Wait, they gave you 3 games for the price of one, and you think this is something to complain about? We had a terrific light-show in the evening (I've never seen lightening like that in my life) and 10 AM match the next day was fantastic. And a year later, people are still whining?

As for the video ... the only time I'm ever in that corridor, I'm normally late for a GO Train (often heading to BMO!) - not sure I'd even notice someone as I run to my platform. I'm sure what happened, is exactly what they expected to happen. It's similar to the experiment when the Washington Post got a world-class violinist to play in a DC metro station a few years ago - there's a great article and video about it. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040401721.html
    Thanks for that link. It's not really the content then, it's that they didn't connect it well to the charitable campaign they are running. I repeat, charitable campaign. It's not an ad about Toronto FC or selling tickets.