Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    His age is definitely an upside, but is he the guy that we need right now? That's the issue. We have a very young defense, and no doubt routine and experience is needed, so this is where his age may not be an upside. Mellberg would have 2 years to give us - but that's more than enough to help shape our young defenders, and pull them through some tough games. That's the sort of guy we need - or at least that's what I think.

I recognize that FO has to make statements that are positive in nature, but you have to admit that a lot of people read into it as though we were getting someone equal in skill as Mellberg. How else can you read into it? He's equal when you factor in his younger age? Doesn't make much sense when you look at what our young defense needs. Also, when you go after Nesta (although not officially) and Mellberg, and come up with O'Dea, and then say that you like the deal equally to Mellberg, you big up O'Dea to the point where the expectations will be sky high right off the bat. REALLY high. How will that fly if he disappoints? I think it would be better to simply say that Mellberg didn't work out, have enough respect for the starved supporters to tell us the truth, and then move ahead and say that we're still looking to strengthen the defense ... and then a few days later simply say: "we signed O'Dea. He's a different type of player, but we're confident that he'll be able to help our defense right away." None of this "big announcement coming. the fans will be very happy". Now O'Dea has a lot to live up to - and it's really not fair to him. All the more reason to move forward and give the guy all of our support. He definitely deserves that.
    I understand your sentiments. Hopefully, O'Dea won't disappoint.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 08-03-2012 at 02:04 PM.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's one area where O'Dea is much better than Melberg: MLS let us sign him!

Seriously, though, and while I must admit to being an eternal optimist, I can see a lot of good things from this signing.

1) He's 25. Our back line is going to grow up together.
    2) He's a regular international for his country.
    3) He's captained Celtic.
    4) He'll have little difficulty with the physical aspects of the game in MLS.
    5) He speaks a version of English.
    6) And his girlfiend just might convince me to move my seasons tickets to where the WAGs sit:
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if o'day was even on the practice pitch at celtic then he is good enough for mls

this is a HUGE signing for the club -- this guy will play for the shirt and thats what we need right now
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    And no matter what we think of MLSE we have to admit, their cheques don't bounce and there's no danger of them going bankrupt anytime soon.
    Zing! Repped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Can't really argue the fact TFC's FO has a poor track record. But let's cut the player some slack and not misplace put lack of faith in the FO on the player. (not saying you're not willing to give the player a chance)

Lot's of reasons a player might want to come to the MLS. Sometimes they feel they need a new start.
    Agreed just look at Ecks, yes sometimes looks a little reckless and panicked, but more often than not very solid and very agressive, and has good football sense, IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Can't really argue the fact TFC's FO has a poor track record. But let's cut the player some slack and not misplace put lack of faith in the FO on the player. (not saying you're not willing to give the player a chance)

Lot's of reasons a player might want to come to the MLS. Sometimes they feel they need a new start.
    Having a rep in England as a marked man with the refs can kill a player's value, particularly a defender.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having immigrated from England to Canada myself, I can see why SOME European players would really want to come out here. It's not always down to football with some European players, I think. Coming over to North America has a lot of upsides to it.

It seems like O'Dea has been delt with the same BS football politics in the UK - a lot of teams want to loan him, but none have the money to buy. He's been passed around. Celtic say they want him and want to give him another contract, but he probably won't be 1st choice CB there. It gets a point where a player thinks "screw all this", and an opportunity comes to live in North America - and I'm sure that's why he's jumped at the chance. Similarly to Eckerlsey. Both players could fall down a division in England and play first team football, but they have a chance out here, and they take it. It's a great lifestyle in Toronto for Europeans to live in! I can vouch for that myself!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I don't know, but anyone who supports the signing of O'Dea must be from the UK, right OT?
    I don't know about that.... despite the many criticisms Mo got for all of those UK players he brought in, I've always felt that the nationality of the player doesn't necessarily show their skill-set. As a United fan, you'd know that, Sir Alex gets highly skilled players who can play a variety of styles, from more possession-oriented (when they play continental football) to more direct (for things like the FA Cup), to the sort of hybrid style that they play in the EPL.

Not all UK players are limited to a direct style, just like the better UK managers aren't.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-03-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fact is we tried to get a bossman in the back and someone fucked it up, apparently O'Dea was the next best thing we could get. Let's hope he can at least stop the bleeding in the back line.

Perhaps we don't excel in the back with this move and our guys don't have anyone to mentor from, but maybe they can band together and learn from each other's mistakes quickly and grow together as a single unit. Egos need to go out the door and everyone back there needs to speak more. If this O'Dea guy has Ecks mouth, there will be plenty of noise back there to get people moving into the right spots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    5) He speaks a version of English.
    O'Dea go breá!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Fact is we tried to get a bossman in the back and someone fucked it up, apparently O'Dea was the next best thing we could get. Let's hope he can at least stop the bleeding in the back line.
    Agreed on the sentiment. I just don't like Mariner and Cochrane trying to sell us on the idea that O'Dea IS the bossman.

Perhaps we don't excel in the back with this move and our guys don't have anyone to mentor from, but maybe they can band together and learn from each other's mistakes quickly and grow together as a single unit. Egos need to go out the door and everyone back there needs to speak more. If this O'Dea guy has Ecks mouth, there will be plenty of noise back there to get people moving into the right spots.
    If this guy has Ecks mouth and Eck's brain for the game they'll be competing to yell the wrong things the loudest. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    As for the SPL and Championship, do you know for certain that nobody wanted him? Do you have insider knowledge?
    Leeds no longer wanted O'Dea and he hadn't been a part of Celtic's plans for years. Celtic wasn't going to keep him any longer:

Leeds boss Neil Warnock has told Darren O'Dea he will not be joining the club on a permanent basis.

The on-loan defender has made 42 appearances for the Elland Road outfit this season but, after he picked up two suspensions in less than a month, Warnock has decided he will not be making a permanent swoop for the Celtic man.

O'Dea had expressed a desire to join Leeds permanently, but Warnock has informed him he does not figure in his future plans.

"I have decided we won't be signing him for next season," Warnock told the club's official website.

"I've had a chat with him, and I'm going to get let him have a break before he goes and plays in the European Championships in the summer.

"We thank him for what he's done but I do feel it's time to move on in that area. He's had good games and average ones, but one or two people have come into my reckoning now that I'm looking for and hopefully we can tie those players up now over the next few months."
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7687059/

"Nothing is happening because I've to wait for (Celtic chief executive) Peter Lawwell to make up his mind," said O'Dea. "He's told me I will get a letter in the post.

"If he thinks he will let me go, then that is better for me. Ideally in my world it makes sense just to let me go and I will look after myself."
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7775825/

O’Dea acknowledged last week that the Scots would be entitled to seek to recoup some of the money they had spent on developing him as a player but he expressed the hope they might still allow him to simply walk away, something that would improve both his choices and, most likely, improve the personal terms he would be able to negotiate. Yesterday he confirmed he had received the news he had been hoping for.

“Yeah, I won’t be at Celtic,” he said. “I’m leaving Celtic on a free transfer. I’m very happy. I spoke to Peter Lawwell and fair play to him, I’ve been leaving long enough and it was about time it was official.

“It was playing on my mind but fair play to Peter for cutting ties. It lets me get on with my career. It’s been happening for the last two and a half years anyway.”

The 25-year-old signed for Celtic from Home Farm seven years ago and initially made swift progress, breaking into the first team in late 2006 and then impressing in both the league and Champions League over the course of the next season and a half.

Somehow, though, he never progressed to the stage where he was an automatic first choice and despite captaining the team at times, he was loaned out in recent years for spells to Reading, Ipswich Town and most recently Leeds United.

After Neil Warnock made it clear that he wasn’t in his plans for the Elland Road outfit O’Dea faced the prospect of having to head back to Glasgow for pre-season while attempting to secure an alternative employer. Instead, he leaves, he says, on the best of terms.

“I’ve had a great time at Celtic and have a lot of friends there so it was important for me that I left properly. He’s done that and given me the chance to do that so I’ve nothing but admiration for the club and I wish them all the best.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...317057539.html

There was speculation that Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday and Burnley were interested in O'Dea, but sometimes rumours are just rumours:

Jones(Sheffield Wednesday FC Manager Dave Jones) has denied claims that he is interested in Republic of Ireland defender Darren O’Dea, who is out of contract at Celtic.
    http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...look-1-4620472

Olof Mellberg will not be a part of TFC, so I hope Darren O'Dea works out. My expectations are tempered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Agreed on the sentiment. I just don't like Mariner and Cochrane trying to sell us on the idea that O'Dea IS the bossman.
    I'm with you and jabbronies, v00d00daddy. I have heard all the TFC hype before. It's childish. At some point, you just stop listening. The hardest part is to watch the players get dumped on by everyone who buys the nonsense. Hopefully O'Dea will be given some time to prove he can be a good player for TFC. Once again, TFC management is gambling that some player will grow into a role. Maybe it works. If he starts out like Aceval did, how long will the patience last? Who wants to allot time and money for next year based on Mariner and Cochrane's opinions?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cautiously optimistic about this player, like every other TFC signing. We'll see how it plays out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're in the right place with this guy. Let's see what he has got. And what he is being paid. Then we'll know what to think.

The yardstick is Victor Bernandez of SJ, Honduras' starting CB. A nice solid player. He is on 100K.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We're in the right place with this guy. Let's see what he has got. And what he is being paid. Then we'll know what to think.

The yardstick is Victor Bernandez of SJ, Honduras' starting CB. A nice solid player. He is on 100K.
    I wouldn't say he's the yardstick; more the ideal. San Jose got a steal there. I'd be shocked if O'Dea is on less than $160,000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is a huge signing for TFC. O'Dea, despite being in a bit of valley in terms of his career, is still good enough to land a position in the Championship. He's almost a little too good to be making a move to the MLS at his age.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I wouldn't say he's the yardstick; more the ideal. San Jose got a steal there. I'd be shocked if O'Dea is on less than $160,000
    That's probably right. I just think we need to be more aware of the value proposition of these guys from England. Eckersley on $390K is ... well I'll leave it there before I start a firefight.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-03-2012 at 09:48 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    I think this is a huge signing for TFC. O'Dea, despite being in a bit of valley in terms of his career, is still good enough to land a position in the Championship. He's almost a little too good to be making a move to the MLS at his age.
    Potential to be a good signing. Current Irish international at 25 yrs of age with his kind of resume rarely come to MLS. I'm almost thinking, what's the catch. Like O'Dea turns out to be a tranny or something.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was no superstar for Leeds last year - he played a lot of games but was released very quickly towards the end of the season mainly due to his disciplinary issues. Hopefully he turns out like an Eckersley but better...

I would be surprised if he is on less than $300k. Anyone who thinks that he is coming over for $100k is dreaming.
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ There's been a number of signings that have been head scratchers lately, Kenny Miller and Tim Cahil for example. I know O'Dea's not quite at their level, but I think it speaks to they rise in prominence of the league as a whole. Maybe in five years, if the cap goes up, the MLS will be going head-to-head with the Championship for players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    I would be surprised if he is on less than $300k..
    If that is how much he is making, we are essentially back in the Mo Johnston era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odea
    Odea
    watch them all fall down....
    Odea
    Odea..
    Domino Dancing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik2YF05iX2w

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    ^ There's been a number of signings that have been head scratchers lately, Kenny Miller and Tim Cahil for example. I know O'Dea's not quite at their level, but I think it speaks to they rise in prominence of the league as a whole. Maybe in five years, if the cap goes up, the MLS will be going head-to-head with the Championship for players.
    O'Dea is essentially kissing his Irish international career good bye too
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    ...because Robbie Keane's move to MLS clearly killed his...

if Trapattoni didn't value MLS we'd know by now. This move doesn't remotely kill his Irish career.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    If that is how much he is making, we are essentially back in the Mo Johnston era.
    Look at how much Eckersley is on...
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    ...because Robbie Keane's move to MLS clearly killed his...

if Trapattoni didn't value MLS we'd know by now. This move doesn't remotely kill his Irish career.
    I think there is a big difference between Robbie Keane, leading goal scorer for the Irish and O'Dea, a fringe player

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    So you think his career has OD'd?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey here's a thought. Why don't we let the lad play before we pass judgment on the signing, unfortunately we ALL tend to let our bias and our own prejudices get the better of ourselves and lead us to jugde a player before a minute has been played by the lad.

Irish International
    Played for Celtic must mean something.

Let the kid play and see what happens.

Farewell for now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Hopefully he turns out like an Eckersley but better...

I would be surprised if he is on less than $300k. Anyone who thinks that he is coming over for $100k is dreaming.
    At $300K or more O'Dea had better be an MLS allstar next year. Eckersley is a bust at his salary level. If teams are signing good international CBs at 100-175K, we can't win if we're paying $300K or more for the same type of player.