Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'dea is committed to playing a friendly on the 15th in Serbia - home game against Portland. I wonder when we're actually going to see him play?

The international schedule also includes:

September 7 in kazakhstan - home game against Chicago on the 12th
    October 12 - In between a game on the 6th And 20th
    October 16 - home game vs Montreal on the 20th

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    So you think his career has OD'd?

can i rep and neg rep at same time? lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Potential to be a good signing. Current Irish international at 25 yrs of age with his kind of resume rarely come to MLS. I'm almost thinking, what's the catch. Like O'Dea turns out to be a tranny or something.
    Hell, if he can prevent the 90th minute shooting galleries we provide to the opposition on a regular basis, who gives a shit what's between his legs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The yardstick is Victor Bernandez of SJ, Honduras' starting CB. A nice solid player. He is on 100K.
    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I wouldn't say he's the yardstick; more the ideal. San Jose got a steal there. I'd be shocked if O'Dea is on less than $160,000
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    I would be surprised if he is on less than $300k. Anyone who thinks that he is coming over for $100k is dreaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    If that is how much he is making, we are essentially back in the Mo Johnston era.
    At $300K or more O'Dea had better be an MLS allstar next year. Eckersley is a bust at his salary level. If teams are signing good international CBs at 100-175K, we can't win if we're paying $300K or more for the same type of player.
    Before this discussion goes any further and $100K for Bernardez becomes considered anything but the outlier it is let's create an index.

Thanks to the MLS PA we've got access to something like numbers. What should a regular starter CB, who's not a kid, and has established credentials in the league or overseas, cost you in MLS?

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/Augu... - By Club.pdf

(All number based on Guaranteed Compensation which includes annualized guaranteed bonuses. Remember this is not NECESSARILY the player's budget expense this season but serves a useful proxy to compare the amount of resources devoted to them.)

MON Nelson Rivas $50,000
    SJE Victor Bernardez $100,000
    NER AJ Soares $116,450
    HOU Andre Hainault $163,125
    VAN Alain Rochat $170,000
    SJE Jason Hernandez $175,000
    SEA Jeff Parke $185,325
    MON Mateo Ferrari $185,475
    FCD Ugo Ihemelu $190,000
    HOU Bobby Boswell $200,000
    RSL Nat Borchers $211,973
    SKC Aurelien Collin $216,250
    MON Alessandro Nesta $225,000
    DCU Dejan Jakovic $228,043
    CHI Arne Friedrich $230,833
    COL Drew Moor $247,189
    RSL Jamison Olave $250,000
    SKC Julio Cesar $255,750
    LAG Omar Gonzalez $257,000
    DCU Brandon McDonald $258,250
    PHI Carlos Valdes $268,000
    CHV Danny Califf $275,000
    PHI Bakary Soumare $280,000
    COL Marvell Wynne $326,667
    CMB Chad Marshall $341,250
    VAN Jay DeMerit $350,000

Looking at that list, it's clear that while you can find good quality starting CBs for under $200K, obviously it's an advantage if you can, you shouldn't necessarily expect to or consider yourself hamstrung if you don't. The really established guys tend to cluster around the $200K-$250K range. Who knows who's fibbing about those Montreal numbers or what sort of timebombs are waiting to go off over the coming years there.

When you consider, outside of Eckersley, how little we really spend on the rest of our regular back line I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that we SHOULD be willing to invest in a player around the $250K range. Considering O'Dea's age and international pedigree I don't think something in the standard range, that would let him graduate into the higher part of the list over time if he works out and sticks around, is unreasonable. Anything below $200K would be great business; starting him above $250K probably wouldn't be. Again: he's supposed to be an every game starter that we can rely on. You've got to be willing to pay for that unless you find a crazy bargain. We'll see when the numbers come out again.

Edit: And I wasn't trying to cherry pick data but create an idea of "regular" compensation for an established starting CB. That meant leaving off someone like George John who's clearly just seeing out his deal before moving on or Patrick Ianni who's only broken through as a starter recently and is still being paid like a sub. It's interesting that from Dejan Jakovic in the middle there's exactly 8 guys below him, on my subjective and somewhat random list, who make $175K or greater and 8 guys above him who make $275K or lower. So there's you range: $175K to $275K with $225 happily right in the middle. The gold standard for a CB pairing in MLS over the last few seasons, Olave and Borchers, are just on either side of that at $250,000 and $211,973 respectively.

IF HE WORKS OUT, having O'Dea on money around $200K-$225K to start would be good business.
    Last edited by BHTC Mike; 08-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's probably right. I just think we need to be more aware of the value proposition of these guys from England. Eckersley on $390K is ... well I'll leave it there before I start a firefight.
    If what I'm told is right, at least 50% of that is Plata's transfer fee being buried as he wasn't a DP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BHTC Mike View Post
    Before this discussion goes any further and $100K for Bernardez becomes considered anything but the outlier it is let's create an index.

Thanks to the MLS PA we've got access to something like numbers. What should a regular starter CB, who's not a kid, and has established credentials in the league or overseas, cost you in MLS?

(All number based on Guaranteed Compensation which includes annualized guaranteed bonuses. Remember this is not NECESSARILY the player's budget expense this season but serves a useful proxy to compare the amount of resources devoted to them.)

MON Nelson Rivas $50,000
    NER AJ Soares $116,450
    SEA Jeff Parke $185,325
    FCD Ugo Ihemelu $190,000
    COL Drew Moor $247,189
    SKC Julio Cesar $255,750
    VAN Jay DeMerit $350,000

IF HE WORKS OUT, having O'Dea on money around $200K-$225K to start would be good business.
    This is a thoughtful analysis. I was wrong in my earlier comment. Now that I see all the data, I agree with this view.

I guess just once I'd like to be the team that finds the guy for less than the standard (like SJ and Bernandez). THAT is the key to winning championships.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's the key in a cap league. You're trying to squeeze every penny.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^^^^^ LOL. I love the simpson references. glad to know theres tons of you guys who watch it here ahahaha.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BHTC Mike View Post

MON Nelson Rivas $50,000
    NER AJ Soares $116,450
    SEA Jeff Parke $185,325
    FCD Ugo Ihemelu $190,000
    COL Drew Moor $247,189
    SKC Julio Cesar $255,750
    VAN Jay DeMerit $350,000

Looking at that list, it's clear that while you can find good quality starting CBs for under $200K, obviously it's an advantage if you can, you shouldn't necessarily expect to or consider yourself hamstrung if you don't. The really established guys tend to cluster around the $200K-$250K range. Who knows who's fibbing about those Montreal numbers or what sort of timebombs are waiting to go off over the coming years there.

When you consider, outside of Eckersley, how little we really spend on the rest of our regular back line I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that we SHOULD be willing to invest in a player around the $250K range. Considering O'Dea's age and international pedigree I don't think something in the standard range, that would let him graduate into the higher part of the list over time if he works out and sticks around, is unreasonable. Anything below $200K would be great business; starting him above $250K probably wouldn't be. Again: he's supposed to be an every game starter that we can rely on. You've got to be willing to pay for that unless you find a crazy bargain. We'll see when the numbers come out again.

Edit: And I wasn't trying to cherry pick data but create an idea of "regular" compensation for an established starting CB. That meant leaving off someone like George John who's clearly just seeing out his deal before moving on or Patrick Ianni who's only broken through as a starter recently and is still being paid like a sub. It's interesting that from Dejan Jakovic in the middle there's exactly 8 guys below him, on my subjective and somewhat random list, who make $175K or greater and 8 guys above him who make $275K or lower. So there's you range: $175K to $275K with $225 happily right in the middle. The gold standard for a CB pairing in MLS over the last few seasons, Olave and Borchers, are just on either side of that at $250,000 and $211,973 respectively.

first great job on the info....what this says to me is why on earth didn't we trade big time years ago for Hainault!

the money's not really a problem if O'Dea is worth it...BUT how do we know!......after Ecks who should be $150,000 to $200,000 all-in IF we had a good mgr...never happen,..lol!

but what is scary is $327,667 for Wynn.....OMG that could have been us paying that, thank-god.....the key here is what O'Dea brings to our developing future stars Henry ,

Morgan ...who I would pay NOW $80,000 to start.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana