1 Thread(s)

Default Toronto FC Sign CB Darren O'Dea

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is rated 99 overall in FIFA 12.
    Also I might have tweaked his ratings a bit.
    Also I definitely just sold him to Real Madrid for $200,000,000.

In the real world, however, a decent signing for our outfit. Good stuff. Hope he excels.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great signing!!! I have always been a big fan of O'Dea and never understood why Celtic let him go and then play with guys like Mastorovic and that. He played some pretty big games for Celtic in the Champions League and even captained us on occasion (usually when captain was injured, but still did). Love this signing!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good step in the right direction. That it has taken this long to make a concrete move to fix the backline is fucking astounding, but I'll put down my shit-coloured glasses today and say this should help the team. Is this a DP sigining, though? Hate to use that slot on a defensive player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of experience, still young...good signing. Well done (finally)!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question is will he be eligible for CCL now that it has started and he wasn't on the initial roster? We need all the defensive help we can get for the next 3 CCL games.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Question is will he be eligible for CCL now that it has started and he wasn't on the initial roster? We need all the defensive help we can get for the next 3 CCL games.
    Yes, provided TFC left at least 1 space open. You cannot drop a player from a space, even if that player is no longer with the club. Given that they were planning to sign a CB, they should have kept a space open, it would take a mess up of Earl Cochrane proportions to ruin this... oh wait....
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most encouraging aspect of this signing is that if O'Dea flourishes with TFC, he is young enough to grow with the club for many years to come.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the show, O'Dea!

"Why don't we get things started...I hope we get things started!"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Bhoy View Post
    Great signing!!! I have always been a big fan of O'Dea and never understood why Celtic let him go and then play with guys like Mastorovic and that. He played some pretty big games for Celtic in the Champions League and even captained us on occasion (usually when captain was injured, but still did). Love this signing!
    Good to know he has leadership abilities, he is young, hopefully our other backs react to him well. It'll be great to watch him boss Eckersley around a bit, will make for some entertaining side shows.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't say I expected this despite the rumour.

Im happy it's not another guy in the twilight of his career.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a DP signing.

Based on his play last year with Leeds United? I'm not convinced that he's the "bossman" we're looking for at CB. Will he fit into the system currently being played? He should. But he's not "all that" (from what I've seen of him more recently than his Celtic days).

Aside: His name just calls for a chant based on Domino Dancing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Dea is not the equivalent of Mellberg, but he is certainly no slouch, and he should represent a significant upgrade on our existing backline...

O’Dea was recently given the 2012 Ireland Young International Player of the Year award during the FAI International Football Awards in February.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Excellent signing good work TFC! In my mind I like this aquisition much better then a 34+ DP. This gives us good talent in the back line that we can hold together for a number of years and all back 4 will hit their prime at the same time. As well as someone else noted it keeps potentially a DP postion open to get a true attacking midfileder to crank up our offense another notch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    He is rated 99 overall in FIFA 12.
    Also I might have tweaked his ratings a bit.
    Also I definitely just sold him to Real Madrid for $200,000,000.

In the real world, however, a decent signing for our outfit. Good stuff. Hope he excels.
    How is he rated 99 overall? That is like 100 in almost everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    How is he rated 99 overall? That is like 100 in almost everything.
    LOL, Armen 'tweaked' his ratings a bit. In FIFA 12, you can edit existing players.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice to see an Irish international and former Leeds player with TFC! Although I do have to agree with the assessment that he isn't all that - however, he doesn't have to be, he's still an improvement on what we've got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great signing. I hope he can stay out of trouble with MLS refs. It looks as if Leeds let him go because of his disciplinary record. Then again we seem to love that type of player don't we?
    He's probably not match fit so it would not surprise me if he doesn't start for a couple of weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not impressed at all by this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    I'm not familiar with him. Why are you so down on him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read his nickname was "O'dear" for the national team. Still looks good on paper, fingers crossed.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I think we have 4 spots open on our CCL roster.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I'm not familiar with him. Why are you so down on him?
    Can't get a game for celtic, didn't look all that good for any teams he was loaned to and we were told he'd be almost an equivalent of Mellberg. He isn't

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets remember that Ecks wasn't getting any starting time at his club and came here and performed very well. I hope the same happens here but we will have to wait and see. I think it could be a good signing, I am curious about the contract.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initially not happy with the signing only because I expected more when Mariner said the guy would be equal to Mellberg. However, having said that, he most certainly would be able to come right into the squad and help make us better. At the end of the day that's what matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Lets remember that Ecks wasn't getting any starting time at his club and came here and performed very well. I hope the same happens here but we will have to wait and see. I think it could be a good signing, I am curious about the contract.
    O'Dea did play a lot for Leeds last year. The problem is that he didn't play that great. MLS is definitely a step down so I hope this level is much more suitable and he will be able to excel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    At the end of the day that's what matters.
    Depending on the contract. If it's a decent contract, I 100% agree.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes its not a good signing, yes its no where near Melberg type level. Is he better than what we currently have? I certainly hope so. But this signing is what it is given the capabilities of our "scouting" team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't get a game for celtic, didn't look all that good for any teams he was loaned to and we were told he'd be almost an equivalent of Mellberg. He isn't
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Initially not happy with the signing only because I expected more when Mariner said the guy would be equal to Mellberg. However, having said that, he most certainly would be able to come right into the squad and help make us better. At the end of the day that's what matters.
    One, it wasn't Mariner who said it, it was Cochrane.

Two, the direct comparison to Mellberg was in parentheses, which means added by the writer.

Three, the quote was actually that they "liked" him equally. Doesn't mean they think he's as good as Mellberg, or "the same".

There are positives to both potential signings. Personally I'll take a 25 year old CB that can grow with the team over a 34 year old rental right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golaso.gol View Post
    Yes its not a good signing, yes its no where near Melberg type level. Is he better than what we currently have? I certainly hope so. But this signing is what it is given the capabilities of our "scouting" team.
    I think at 25 it will in the long run work out to be a much better buy than Mellberg. Mellberg is a very good player, but getting on in age at 35 and he didn't set the world alight himself last season, albeit after a couple of decent seasons prior to that.

I can see both sides of the coin here, to go from being connected to both seasoned veterans in recent weeks such as Nesta and Mellberg but to eventually sign O'Dea, might seem a downgrade, but if we want to build a steady defence for the next few years then younger players are what we ultimately need. The likes of Morgan, Ecks, O'Dea- no reason these guys can't play for the next 6 years. Be interesting to see who will partner O'dea at centre back once everyone is fit.
    O'dea is much like Ecks in that they be youngish in age but bring invaluable experience.
    I'm pretty happy with this signing