Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, didn't see the Aceval thing coming.....

Thanks for this everyday D....best part of the site......

Dom

Registered
    NW corner of Hwy #48 & Queensville Sdrd Mount Albert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOT a fan of pasty White girls but Lawd the SSG has a rack!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Plenty of Trout View Post
    NOT a fan of pasty White girls but Lawd the SSG has a rack!

Yes. Good armor, bad helmet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian soccer players left out in the cold

I guess I don't really understand this 'US immigration rules' thing. How come it causes an issue with Canadian players playing in the MLS and not in the NBA, MLB and especially the NHL where at least 40% of all players are Canadian?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ that's because it's an MLS rule and not an immigration law.

Why did I think that they did away with this?

EDIT: well, shut my mouth. I just got to that part in the story.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really puzzling and sounds more like another MLS cover up or something.

Can anyone here shed some light please?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlocks View Post
    Canadian soccer players left out in the cold

I guess I don't really understand this 'US immigration rules' thing. How come it causes an issue with Canadian players playing in the MLS and not in the NBA, MLB and especially the NHL where at least 40% of all players are Canadian?
    Because NHL does not have International spot quota likes MLS and other soccer leagues around the world.Garber already explain that several times,by US Immigration law if they allowed Canadians to be domestic players than they have to do the same for players from Mexico or England or and other country,other words they would have to strip international quota all together like in NBA or NHL.

By US Immigration law American employers aren’t allowed to give preferential treatment to the citizens of any one nation .
    Last edited by denime; 07-27-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that they are not allowed to give preferential treatment to one foreign country over another. So if MLS said only Canadian soccer players count as domestic instead of, say Bolivian, it would go against the laws in place. It has more to do with them limiting the number of international spots on a roster than anything else.

As for the NBA, MLB, NHL - they don't have a domestic/international quota, afaik. You could have a team full of europeans, a team full of americans, a team of Canadians, or any mix. If the NHL said that you need to have a minimum of 10 domestic players, then the american teams would have to lump the Canadians in with the Europeans for the remaining 14 spots, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks. That makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how do you solve this issue?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proclaim that MLS is US/Canadian league and players from both countries are domestic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually NAFTA does create a preference system but only in certain defined job classifications. Too bad professional athletes aren't part of that definition, that would make this issue go away.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if MLS did push for this, i would imagine that the scenario would be something like: up to 3 Canadian players on a US MLS team would be considered domestic. doubt it would be unlimited.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjones View Post
    if MLS did push for this, i would imagine that the scenario would be something like: up to 3 Canadian players on a US MLS team would be considered domestic. doubt it would be unlimited.
    Finally, we are talking about this without folks running to the flag.

The reason they are against changing the program is simply that this is a USA Developmental League. That's what it started as and that is the driving philosophy behind it.

Much like the CFL has a Canadian quota for our purposes, the US fully intends to shut Canucks out.

Which is why, if you step aside and accept the rule as is, it makes no sense for us to stock 1/3 of our roster with players that are less likely to work there. That is unless of course we want TFC to be the developmental arm of the CSA.

For my money though, this is club... not country and to pay the highest ticket prices in the league (in some vantage points) to help Earl and the CSA, sorry... not flying with me. You are either going to compete or not.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

transfer window closes today
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The transfer window closes for foreign players under contract.

TFC can still sign foreign free agents and trade within MLS after today.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Finally, we are talking about this without folks running to the flag.

The reason they are against changing the program is simply that this is a USA Developmental League. That's what it started as and that is the driving philosophy behind it.

Much like the CFL has a Canadian quota for our purposes, the US fully intends to shut Canucks out.

Which is why, if you step aside and accept the rule as is, it makes no sense for us to stock 1/3 of our roster with players that are less likely to work there. That is unless of course we want TFC to be the developmental arm of the CSA.

For my money though, this is club... not country and to pay the highest ticket prices in the league (in some vantage points) to help Earl and the CSA, sorry... not flying with me. You are either going to compete or not.
    One note (or "run to the flag" if you want) There is a time and place for that strategy you are damning. This is not it, I agree. Toronto is still a toddler when it comes to growth of recognizing talent and making the team better. I can try and leave the flag out of it for you. Player aquisition is so local because its easier( read lazier). My endgame would see a team actually competing at the top of the league table with a local squad falling over themselves to do their best here before moving on.

I don't care if the CSA has a better relationship with our team. Of course I don't want that to hurt us developing as a team as it has but I think the point should be that the people involved should see that a heavily local stocked side that struggles doesn't do that country any good either.

Nutshell: I agree with you even though I'm coming from a country not club POV.

(flag run over )
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    One note (or "run to the flag" if you want) There is a time and place for that strategy you are damning. This is not it, I agree. Toronto is still a toddler when it comes to growth of recognizing talent and making the team better. I can try and leave the flag out of it for you. Player aquisition is so local because its easier( read lazier). My endgame would see a team actually competing at the top of the league table with a local squad falling over themselves to do their best here before moving on.

I don't care if the CSA has a better relationship with our team. Of course I don't want that to hurt us developing as a team as it has but I think the point should be that the people involved should see that a heavily local stocked side that struggles doesn't do that country any good either.

Nutshell: I agree with you even though I'm coming from a country not club POV.

(flag run over )
    I could even come at this from a country point of view.

If this MLS quota rule is ever made reciprocal (Canadians count as Domestics in USA), then I would suggest that we can develop and maintain players without regard to nationality. Of course, it would be completely foolish to not scout all markets and in particular the USA very heavily but keeping a player like Stinson wouldn't hurt the club. And in fact, it would benefit the national program. So, that's win-win.

The issue in keeping Stinson isn't that Stinson can't be as good as Dan Gargan. It's that Stinson has to be better than an International Roster player in order to take Dan Gargan's job. This hurts Stinson's opportunities incredibly.

Canucks don't have to be better than available yankees under these rules. They have to be better than available Internationals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we can put the Olof Mellberg to TFC to rest as it seems he will sign with Belgium club Anderlecht:

https://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/Olof%20Mellberg

http://translate.google.ca/translate...ed=0CCgQ7gEwAA

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    I think we can put the Olof Mellberg to TFC to rest as it seems he will sign with Belgium club Anderlecht:

https://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/Olof Mellberg

http://translate.google.ca/translate...ed=0CCgQ7gEwAA
    Maybe now we can loan him from Anderlecht.

Earl can you look into it,maybe you can work some magic here.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Maybe now we can loan him from Anderlecht.

Earl can you look into it,maybe you can work some magic here.
    Almost every reporter is saying that the MLS killed the deal, not TFC & not Mellberg.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ curiously, Seattle has been allowed to sign a 4th DP - go check the 'non-TFC' transfer thread if you like.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, its wierd. I have been hearing a lot of bullcrap lately between the league and TFC. Larson just tweeted that JDG is not a DP on Dallas payroll, so it begs the question if the league considers him on us?
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    ^ curiously, Seattle has been allowed to sign a 4th DP - go check the 'non-TFC' transfer thread if you like.
    alvaro fernandez got sold to a teamin south america.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ that was fast.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    alvaro fernandez got sold to a teamin south america.
    are you sure?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...esses_rum.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Ya, its wierd. I have been hearing a lot of bullcrap lately between the league and TFC. Larson just tweeted that JDG
    is not a DP on Dallas payroll, so it begs the question if the league considers him on us?
    I believe you have hit the nail on the head here. Looking up article for WV Hooligan (reliable) at time of DeGuzman trade mentions

"Toronto FC has sent Designated Player Julian de Guzman to FC Dallas in exchange for Generation adidas midfielder/forward Andrew Wiedeman.Yeah, a DP for a GA. That’s it. My sources also tell me that Toronto will be picking up the majority of de Guzman’s hefty $1.9 million contract as well, so for Dallas this is merely a rental for six months. Not bad."

http://wvhooligan.com/2012/07/13/140...man-to-dallas/

I can't see how trading him away but still paying most of his contract would free up DP spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    I can't see how trading him away but still paying most of his contract would free up DP spot.
    This is from the bottom of the wvhooligan link you provided:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Epperley
    What it means for Toronto:

This deal for Toronto is fairly simple.

They pick up a GA contract that doesn’t go on the books this season and unload a DP slot and a good chunk of cap space. If anything this signifies that they will be going on the open market for another DP, likely someone to man the back line. If they are smart, they could be setting their sights on someone like Carlos Bocanegra.
    Without gaining salary cap relief and a DP spot, how does the deal make sense for TFC? Under such a scenario, Mariner would be responsible for TFC paying to improve FC Dallas while essentially making Wiedeman TFC's new DP.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayernTFC View Post
    Without gaining salary cap relief and a DP spot, how does the deal make sense for TFC? Under such a scenario, Mariner would be responsible for TFC paying to improve FC Dallas while essentially making Wiedeman TFC's new DP.
    Dallas is paying the cap hit, but probably not the DP money