Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing we'll be playing Hassli and Johnson up front, with Weideman and Amarikwa as the subs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    I'm guessing we'll be playing Hassli and Johnson up front, with Weideman and Amarikwa as the subs?
    I think that's a good guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally official.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are we just trading for players with funny names now?
    also.. interesting to note the kind of things mariner finds the club can do without; we're giving up draft picks, conditional draft picks, etc, for the sake of depth and immediate results.
    Last edited by __wowza; 07-21-2012 at 01:06 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    Also.. Interesting to note the kind of things mariner finds the club can do without; we're giving up draft picks, conditional draft picks, etc, for the sake of depth,immediate results and ST Renewals.
    fixed
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id be very surprised if QA cost more than a supplemental draft pick. Hes a depth striker for speed in late games. Dont expect more than that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Ryan/silva/ and now Eric up front, with 2 good-average subs coming in that can score late goals... Hmm, starting to see Paul's new team already!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With TFC wanting to play a more attacking style of game there is nothing wrong with some depth up front.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    With TFC wanting to play a more attacking style of game there is nothing wrong with some depth up front.
    there is when you've had issues with your backline for the past 6 years in a row.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is nothing wrong with some depth up front.
    It can be a problem if management brings in the wrong guy. There are people making it known that Amarikwa has character issues:

Quote Originally Posted by MMV
    Rumor on the street here in Denver is that Quincy had some off the field issues. He was essentially banned from the team. I don't know if that's true of not but during his last few weekatom Denver he popped up in an adult league match (in which I was playing) at the fields adjacent to DSP while the Rapids were on a road trip. I thought it was very, very odd. Nonethless, something went awry with the Rapids and it's a shame. His engery was fun to watch off the bench and he wasn't half bad. I have to wonder if RBNY shipped him off to TFC because they were some underlying issues with Quincy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmack in reply to MMV
    love his energy, but he's a hothead...we had him here in san jose initially and i thought he was gonna grow into a real player in MLS, but he was getting into fights in practice (apparently he had a memorable dust-up with nick garcia) and eventually got into it with our manager, frank yallop....sounds like he mght not be done maturing yet
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b....html#comments

TFC doesn't need basket cases, disruptions or any more drama.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also.. interesting to note the kind of things mariner finds the club can do without; we're giving up draft picks, conditional draft picks, etc, for the sake of depth and immediate results.
    The better the Academy gets, the less we need these things, and the better they become for trade bait.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Amarikwa, Fuck Meh" -- TheYorkies1812

I think that they got it about right.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    "Amarikwa, Fuck Meh" -- TheYorkies1812

I think that they got it about right.
    Instant chant
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayernTFC View Post
    anyone who takes a swing at nick garcia is a friend of mine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayernTFC View Post
    It can be a problem if management brings in the wrong guy. There are people making it known that Amarikwa has character issues:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b....html#comments

You have to give some context though I mean... not many got along with Nick Garcia... we all hated him, and his greatest contribution to the team was getting punched in the face.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, we're simply building a team in a manner that most other clubs in MLS do. You see, you were told a lie years ago about how much of a difficult and lengthy process it is to create a competitive team in this league. I don't blame you for believing in it, though. It was parroted by the GM at the time, the Director of Operations, and pretty much everyone else at the Front Office. But where things went wrong is that fans started to say it as well and began to truly believe in it. You know what they say about a lie that's told enough times.

Fast forward to today and what Mariner is doing is pretty straight-forward. He's supplementing and augmenting the talent on this team in a completely reasonable time frame - again, just like what other teams in the league have done time after time.

The era of the 5-Year Plan at TFC is died. It should never have been alive in the first place. Don't be afraid though, we're all better off this way.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 07-21-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because it just has to be done

Amarikwa... Amarikwa...!!!

Amarikwa! Fuck yeah! Scoring again, to save the mutherfucking day yeah!
    Amarikwa! Fuck yeah! Quincy is the only way yeah!
    (Opposition team) your game is through cause now you have to answer too,
    Amarikwa! Fuck yeah! Quincy will lead TFC to win,
    What you going to do when he come for you now.

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking more of the Ramstein "Amerika" song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    You have to give some context though I mean... not many got along with Nick Garcia... we all hated him, and his greatest contribution to the team was getting punched in the face.
    Speak for yourself. I don't hate anyone who pulls on our shirt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    No, we're simply building a team in a manner that most other clubs in MLS do. You see, you were told a lie years ago about how much of a difficult and lengthy process it is to create a competitive team in this league. I don't blame you for believing in it, though. It was parroted by the GM at the time, the Director of Operations, and pretty much everyone else at the Front Office. But where things went wrong is that fans started to say it as well and began to truly believe in it. You know what they say about a lie that's told enough times.

Fast forward to today and what Mariner is doing is pretty straight-forward. He's supplementing and augmenting the talent on this team in a completely reasonable time frame - again, just like what other teams in the league have done time after time.

The era of the 5-Year Plan at TFC is died. It should never have been alive in the first place. Don't be afraid though, we're all better off this way.
    i don't necessarily believe this, remember when the timbers or the union came into the league and we were all aghast at how easy it seemed for them? well two of them are in a self-professed "re-building stage" and scrapping the bottle of the barrel with us. i still think youth is the way to go, and im enjoying what i see from silva/morgan. i enjoyed what i saw from plata when he was with us. the standard in my mind has always been "build from youth, acquire what else you need" and i still believe that. we should be bringing up the majority of the squad from things like our youth academy, and drafts.

we can sell off what we don't need for allocation, higher draft picks and players to round out our roster. we don't have a left mid coming up the ranks? we trade for one. we don't have a striker? use allocation to land a plausible name. etc. i think the whole wheeling-and-dealing model is dead, and i always have. that's not a 5-year plan, that's a model for how a team should be run. there's nothing i enjoy more than hearing a player whose come through the works as a red getting a national team call-up or a long term deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who said TFC wants to play an attacking style of game? That was the old vision. We have a new one now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't necessarily believe this, remember when the timbers or the union came into the league and we were all aghast at how easy it seemed for them? well two of them are in a self-professed "re-building stage" and scrapping the bottle of the barrel with us. i still think youth is the way to go,
    Portland and Philly are two of the younger teams in the league now IIRC. The Union have already had more success in the league than we've ever achieved and could be positioned to bounce back after one year. Portland look like the next TFC style basketcase of a franchise with big support leading to too high expectations leading to hasty decisions... and possibly meddling ownership.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Who said TFC wants to play an attacking style of game? That was the old vision. We have a new one now.
    We've certainly scored more goals under Mariner than Winter.

I never personally saw much attacking under Winter. The ball got stuck in the middle 3rd of the field and it was often that we had maybe 2 or 3 decent chances per game. Under Mariner we have multiple - 10 plus every game! That is definitely more attacking, I would say.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    Speak for yourself. I don't hate anyone who pulls on our shirt.
    Right - don't hate the playa, hate the fact that he's on TFC.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Based on traditional labels, you're theoretically correct. TFC played an attacking game under Winter and they are now playing a counter attacking game under Mariner.

The result? TFC sored 8 goals in 10 games under Winter, and they have scored 16 goals in 10 games under Mariner.

San Jose plays a 4-4-2 counter attacking style as well and they lead the league in offense with 44 goals thus far.

We should honestly concern ourselves with results as opposed to labels.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Based on traditional labels, you're theoretically correct. TFC played an attacking game under Winter and they are now playing a counter attacking game under Mariner.

The result? TFC sored 8 goals in 10 games under Winter, and they have scored 16 goals in 10 games under Mariner.

San Jose plays a 4-4-2 counter attacking style as well and they lead the league in offense with 44 goals thus far.

We should honestly concern ourselves with results as opposed to labels.
    You can call me blind if you like, but I never saw Winter's game as an "attacking game". It was an slow build up game, building slowly through the defense and midfield. The players were never good enough at passing through the midfield to create much of an attack, so the ball ended up bouncing around the defense and midfield until TFC inevitably lost the ball.

Under Mariner, they have played counter attacking when they have been trying to hold onto a lead. But overall Mariner has been going out and attacking the opponents and scoring a goal early in game (which never happened under Winter). I don't think I'd call that counter-attacking, necessarily?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    You can call me blind if you like, but I never saw Winter's game as an "attacking game". It was an slow build up game, building slowly through the defense and midfield. The players were never good enough at passing through the midfield to create much of an attack, so the ball ended up bouncing around the defense and midfield until TFC inevitably lost the ball.

Under Mariner, they have played counter attacking when they have been trying to hold onto a lead. But overall Mariner has been going out and attacking the opponents and scoring a goal early in game (which never happened under Winter). I don't think I'd call that counter-attacking, necessarily?
    Agreed, that's why I said theoretically.

In all top tier professional leagues around the world, teams employ different tactical systems and formations. Ultimately, I think results are the only barometer for success in this business.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Agreed, that's why I said theoretically.

In all top tier professional leagues around the world, teams employ different tactical systems and formations. Ultimately, I think results are the only barometer for success in this business.
    Agreed with you.

I think some RPB argument is that TFC should be judged on more than results, especially in the short term. But realistically, that's never going to happen. Not for ML$E, not for the MLS, and not for the "average" TFC SSH. If TFC go another 2 or 3 seasons without getting into the play offs 1. ML$E will see that as failure as it won't equate to profit in that time as they will lose SSH (we know this), 2. the only real judgment on an MLS team is if they get into the play offs, and 3. the "average" SSH isn't a RPB and they JUST want to see results - they don't care about the Winter System, or long term visions or total football. The average TFC SSH would take ugly winning over beautiful losing any day of the week, unfortunately.