Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wondered if they were, regardless of their nationalities, because they both came through the NCAA that they had American permanent resident status to qualify as Americans.

Gen Adidas has nothing to do with domestic/american/international designation, and only has to do with the salary cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea how this adds up, unless Frei/Tchani have green cards. There have always been rumours about Frei, but never found anything concrete.

Anyone know if Kocic counts as canadian or something?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He played for the Serbian U21 squad, so I dont think he is classified as Canadian.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key on that isn't who you play for in national team terms but whether you have the right of permanent residence in either Canada (landed immigrant status) or the United States (green card). Odds on Kocic does qualify somehow as domestic in that regard because I seriously doubt Mariner/Winter would use an international roster spot on a rarely used backup when they could have replaced him with somebody like Monsalve but I've not seen anything definitive on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN reported that the SJ Int'l spot is till January 2013.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster_TFC View Post
    I have no idea how this adds up, unless Frei/Tchani have green cards. There have always been rumours about Frei, but never found anything concrete.

I am pretty sure Frei and Tchani have green cards....i don't think they qualify as internationals. Ryan Johnson may have a green card as well......but I could be wrong.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    I am pretty sure Frei and Tchani have green cards....i don't think they qualify as internationals. Ryan Johnson may have a green card as well......but I could be wrong.
    As far as I'm aware Johnson is American (or counts as one) considering he moved there when he was a kid.

You'd assume so, but the link I found about Borman last year showed Borman with a green card, and Tchani without (it was a NYRB thing). Haven't found anything definitive about Frei or Kocic either.

It wouldn't surprise me if Kocic has landed immigrant or whatever because he's from Yugoslavia originally. Also, I'm convinced that Bouchiba has been placed on long term injury, meaning his int spot clears up I believe.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Eckersley was shoehorned in as Bouchiba's injury replacement? Having to trade for an extra international roster spot to fit in one of the DP signings would have been risky because other teams would potentially have been able to drive a hard bargain. The exact details of who got signed using which mechanism are difficult to follow sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct. We have no idea who's on long or short term injury list, and technically until today we didn't have to fit Frings and Koevermans on our contract list, so while the INT spot may not have been required to fit Frings or Koevermans, the roster space might have been.

That said, I don't believe it would be a guy on a re-callable loan that would have been signed as an injury replacement. More likely is that Frings was signed as Bouchiba's "injury replacement" with respect to INT spots.

I believe (although it's never in writing) that MLS frowns on an injury replacement signing not being like for like, so you have to kind of sign a midfielder to replace a midfielder, and a forward to replace a forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought people were saying that Dicoy Williams was on the long term injury list? I always wondered where the official information was posted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I thought people were saying that Dicoy Williams was on the long term injury list? I always wondered where the official information was posted.
    It isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling if they've been in the US for longer than 5 years, they'll have a green card.

4 years max for a US study permit, upon expiry the person must apply for green card or work permit - and there's no way MLS-level soccer players can get a work permit because of the ad hoc nature of their work (never guaranteed).

So if they played soccer in the NCAA (study permit), and are still in the US years later, odds are that they have a green card now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    It isn't posted, but he is on the long term injury list. He tore his MCL, that takes three months to recover from.

The earliest we could hope to have him back is if playoffs were on the line in our last match of the year, but even then, he wont be match fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update with new trades, we are now over both the roster limit and the international limit, but technically I think we were over the roster limit before the trade yesterday (3 for 2) and would two over when Stefanovic was sent back.

So I'm guessing that Bouchiba and Lindsay are definitely on long term injured reserve, with the possibility of Cann and Williams being added soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I mentioned this to you somewhere before; the Ives link on the Felix Garcia switch in January 2009 states that the slot is for the next two years...which would have been 2009 and 2010.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe (although it's never in writing) that MLS frowns on an injury replacement signing not being like for like, so you have to kind of sign a midfielder to replace a midfielder, and a forward to replace a forward.
    Any sources on that like an Ives Galarcep blog entry or something? The following signings happened in chronological order during the winter window that were not homegrown players, draft picks or trades within the league:

1 Elbekay Bouchiba
    2 Nick Soolsma
    3 Javier Martina
    4 Gianluca Zavarise
    5 Mikael Yourassowsky
    6 Alex Stevanovic
    7 Dicoy Williams
    8 Richard Eckersley

I think the first five plus Williams were probably the six 2011 discovery signings. I don't think there is a separate loan category so Stevanovic was probably based on the use of allocation money received for missing the 2010 playoffs and I think by process of elimination that means Eckersley must have been an injury replacement effectively taking Bouchiba's international roster spot in the process and that also explains why there can be 31 rather than 30 players on the roster right now. Inquiring minds like to know basically so posting my rationale to see what insights others can provide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QUICK QUESTION:

:When players are loaned out to a D2 or D3 squad, does their roster spot still count towards the cap?

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have checked that before,but it really doesnt explain if so....

I know in the past it has

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given loans are listed alongside transfers under "Methods of releasing players" looks to me like the roster spot and cap hit are probably cleared. The need for the player's approval would probably be seen as the safeguard against abuse of the system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    Given loans are listed alongside transfers under "Methods of releasing players" looks to me like the roster spot and cap hit are probably cleared. The need for the player's approval would probably be seen as the safeguard against abuse of the system.
    I'm betting that there's a cap hit equal to the amount of time they were on their MLS team, so loaning out Sutton didn't suddenly give them 100k to work with, more like 50k or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Added Viator, further complicating the international roster spot issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump. Since there appears to be some confusion on who counts as an international.