Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much for being motivated against his former team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“I understand the choice,” said Hassli. “The only thing is the way they took to tell me was just disrespectful. No class, I think. Just 15 seconds on the phone, like, ‘You’ve been traded. I wish you the best.’
    “Just speak man-to-man. But I wish all the best to the club, really.”

But he won't play against them?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could there be a clause in his trade agreement that he won't play against the Whitecaps this season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't play them again, perhaps it just means he'll look to get out of his option and leave MLS at season end?

This could be a bit ugly if he's already one foot out the club/league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    lol umm, what in the fuck?
    Players who get too attached to the fan base and its view of them (ehem, Ricketts) have this habit of making demands of management and believing their own hype. He and Chiumento got Cult of Personality treatment from Vancouver fans. I think they both figured they'd retire there. So his head's probably pretty fucked up right now.

(I'm not condoning the mentality, it's just human nature when people are handed adulation).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This and the fact he went and watched their game this weekend makes me wonder where his head is.

Merucurial comes to mind.
    He didn't go to watch the Whitecaps game this weekend. His wife was sick & he stayed home. He said thanks for the tribute -- I guess they sang something in the 29th minute.

As for the tweet that he won't be playing against the Caps -- it's off some other random person's Twitter account, who ran into Hassli shopping at Costco. We shall see. I'm not planning to get my shorts in a knot yet. These kinds of trades & transfers must be tough. I believe in MLS players have even less control than elsewhere? Let's see what Hassli says after he's settled in & played a few games here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, having spent a lot of time with Hassli - his words could have been completely taken wrong / grammatical error...

His English is not great when he's just chatting. Interviews, he focuses and gets most things right - but when we were goofing around and just shooting the shit over croissants and him wanting red wine (random I know), he messed up a bunch of things in grammar...

Conversation could have went...
    Person: "...will you be motivated next time you play Vancouver..."
    Hassli: "...well uh, I won't play against them ever, ah..."
    Person: "...really..."

Problem, Hassli could have easily meant this season (we don't have them again) as its one of the grammatical errors he makes when just talking regularly...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna wait until the man himself says anything as a TFC player, before I start reacting to what other people say he said on Twitter. He really loved playing in Vancouver - remember that TorStar article about him getting the tattoo, etc.? He is that club's Danny Dichio, to an extent. I'm sure his head is in a really weird, emotional spot right now.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    He really loved playing in Vancouver - remember that TorStar article about him getting the tattoo, etc.? He is that club's Danny Dichio, to an extent. I'm sure his head is in a really weird, emotional spot right now.

- Scott
    His tattoo was for Canada, the country, he got maple leaves. Nothing to do with the Whitecaps.

"The maple leaves are because I landed in a country that agrees with me, and where I feel good,” he told the Globe and Mail (the G&M article is also a must read). “After 1 1/2 months of living here, I went and saw the tattoo artist and said: ‘Listen, I want Canadian maple leaves, and after that, you do what you want with the rest of the arm.’ It’s an homage. And it’s going to stay there the rest of my life.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    His tattoo was for Canada, the country, he got maple leaves. Nothing to do with the Whitecaps.

"The maple leaves are because I landed in a country that agrees with me, and where I feel good,” he told the Globe and Mail (the G&M article is also a must read). “After 1 1/2 months of living here, I went and saw the tattoo artist and said: ‘Listen, I want Canadian maple leaves, and after that, you do what you want with the rest of the arm.’ It’s an homage. And it’s going to stay there the rest of my life.”

I know, but he got it after living in Vancouver, and only Vancouver. Should tell you something about what he thought of his time there. Just like Dichio getting his Canadian citizenship was no doubt a product of how much he enjoyed Toronto.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that seems a tad impulsive there Eric. After a month and a half too eh? Anyways, at least he got traded to another team in Canada and we can give him a reason to keep up his 'enthusiasm' for the country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    that seems a tad impulsive there Eric. After a month and a half too eh? Anyways, at least he got traded to another team in Canada and we can give him a reason to keep up his 'enthusiasm' for the country.
    Based on the number of tattoos he has - I wouldn't be surprised if there a few "impulsive ones" scattered around... LOL
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got to say...this is a very interesting move. Hassli is a quality player but has been pretty inconsistent with the Shitecaps. He's scored some pretty sweet goals but also has the ability to drift out of games quickly if he doesn't get service. I don't think he has a knack for goal the same way as Danny K does, but he does seem to be able to create his own chances a bit better than Danny. Danny is a pure striker, whereas Hassli plays as more of a forward attacker with striker tendencies. He will either be the perfect replacement for Danny, or will be a total flop. I don't really see any in between scenarios. I am looking forward to seeing him in TFC red and I'm hoping to see a couple of wonder-strikes for us too if nothing else!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have any info on whether Hassli's ankle is on the mend, and whether he might be in a position to get some minutes on Saturday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Does anyone have any info on whether Hassli's ankle is on the mend, and whether he might be in a position to get some minutes on Saturday?
    Quote Originally Posted by tovan View Post
    Word from Vancouver is that he is moving to TO on Weds. He was still doing rehab on his ankle with Whitecaps staff this past weekend.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/so...379/story.html

"He doesn’t leave for Toronto until Wednesday and he’ll be in the crowd today as the Whitecaps host the San Jose Earthquakes at B.C. Place...

Hassli, once he’s recovered from a right ankle sprain in a week or two, will see plenty of time in Toronto."

From July 21:Marc Weber@ProvinceWeber Hassli will be in the crowd Sunday. Doesn't head to T.O. until Wed. Family stuff 2 sort. Caps still did treatment on his ankle today #MLS
    repost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hassli is a big dumb oaf. All the evidence points to it. Don't analyze his thoughts too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Hassli is a big dumb oaf. All the evidence points to it. Don't analyze his thoughts too much.
    Words from the wise, I suppose, most athletes aren't what I would call eloquent anyway.lol

I am anxious to see Hassli score a few crackers from outside the box, which TFC rarely seem to be able to do.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I am anxious to see Hassli score a few crackers from outside the box, which TFC rarely seem to be able to do.
    Seriously.
    Whenever I see nice long range goals on MLS highlight reels, I often think, "Why don't we ever see that in Toronto?". I know there might be a few exceptions from the past, but not enough!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Seriously.
    Whenever I see nice long range goals on MLS highlight reels, I often think, "Why don't we ever see that in Toronto?"....
    Aceval vs. Santos....but CCL behaviour seems to be the exception that proves the rule for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also Lambe vs. Chicago ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerry Dobson‏@SNGerryDobson#TFC will likely hold a Hassli news conference before Saturday's game. No word yet on when he'll be fit to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another decent goal this season was Johnson vs the sounders... left footed curl into the far top corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimmy B scored a rocket for us early on too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't read the whole thread so not sure if this was brought up or not yet, but ran into a few interesting tweets.

@DimopsV
    Not much has been said about #Hassli's disciplinary issues but since entering MLS he is tied for 1st in terms of cards #tfc #tfclive

https://twitter.com/DimopsV/status/228907808349900800
    https://twitter.com/DimopsV/status/228908756505874432

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro‏@JohnMolinaro Paul Mariner: "(Hassli) could play tomorrow, I think. Yeah." #TFC

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    John Molinaro‏@JohnMolinaro Paul Mariner: "(Hassli) could play tomorrow, I think. Yeah." #TFC
    He better.

To give up a 1st round pick now instead of waiting for the offseason when he would be out of contract (assuming Vancouver let him go) is significant.

We didn't give up that high a pick for him to sit on the bench for 4 CCL games and 14 MLS games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    He better.

To give up a 1st round pick now instead of waiting for the offseason when he would be out of contract (assuming Vancouver let him go) is significant.

We didn't give up that high a pick for him to sit on the bench for 4 CCL games and 14 MLS games
    I think it would be safe to assume that Mariner did his due diligence in that regard prior to making the deal. He knew that Hassli was close to returning.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    He better.

If he is not fit, don't start him. Notice we kept the 2013 pick and gave up the 2014, I think that has to do with the quality in the upcoming draft.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I think it would be safe to assume that Mariner did his due diligence in that regard prior to making the deal. He knew that Hassli was close to returning.
    Oh yes he did,he asked Earl C.to check all details with whitecaps,I'm assuming Earl is still working on it,he got lost between Plata transfer and Nesra pbone number. ;-)