Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the context of this transfer deadline, I now wonder if the TFC watch is permanently stuck at 5 minutes past 12.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    In the context of this transfer deadline, I now wonder if the TFC watch is permanently stuck at 5 minutes past 12.
    Haha. And the date is July 26!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    And it was a poor observation....

Funny how you only seem to care about this one topic.
    Don't quite understand what you are going after here. For a long time I have read game threads of 'supporters' continually dumping on the team, even though there has been a significant turn about from where we started the season. From that, Reading the comments in this thread regarding replacing parts, it will be right twice a day, etc, one can easily come to the conclusion that they are just yet another knock at the team. It is hard to believe those comments were made in jovial good humor based on the atmosphere of late. Disagree if you wish, but the posts in the game threads speak for themselves.

I do not understand your comment that 'this is the only topic I care about'. If you mean the unwaivered support of Toronto FC, then you're damn right!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ TFC wasn't founded halfway through this season. After 5 1/2 years of mostly failure, of repeated hopes that "this coach" or "this player" or "this system" will finally turn things around for the long term -- if after all that we can't make a few lame jokes about something as trivial as a customized TFC watch, then... I don't know what to say.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 07-26-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ TFC wasn't founded halfway through this season. After 5 1/2 years of mostly failure, of repeated hopes that "this coach" or "this player" or "this system" will finally turn things around for the long term -- if after all that we can't make a few lame jokes about something as trivial as a customized TFC watch, then... I don't know what to say.
    How dare you dump on the TFC timepiece

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ TFC wasn't founded halfway through this season. After 5 1/2 years of mostly failure, of repeated hopes that "this coach" or "this player" or "this system" will finally turn things around in the long term -- if after all that we can't make a few lame jokes about something as trivial as a customized TFC watch, then... I don't know what to say.
    Honestly you are right, it is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I guess I am the kind of supporter who believes in seeing how things play out, not jumping to immediate conclusions based on (terrible) history. I am the eternal optimist. The prior/current negativity has just rubbed me the wrong way.

I do not wish nor intended to hijack this thread, so I shall leave it be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    How dare you dump on the TFC timepiece
    Timepiece! LMAO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Since it's a TFC watch, are the internal working going to need replacement every year (or less)?
    The parts won't work well together and the back will constantly fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    it's $249. Dunno if anyone can order - you may be required to submit an account number.

Nobody in their right mind would order one of these
    Why not?
    If I had the extra cash I'd get one. The MSRP on the standard ones (ie no TFC logo) is US$295.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaahuuu View Post

If I had the extra cash I'd get one. The MSRP on the standard ones (ie no TFC logo) is US$295.
    lulz - regularly $295, but you get a deal if you take one with a TFC crest on it.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Click here and use the password FANWATCH to get your exclusive opportunity to design your own.

I will wait until a for real watch starts to sponsor TFC, yes, I would be all over a Rolex/Omega/Brietling/IWC watch with TFC on it.

ESQ, not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    design my own? i want mine to say "THE NORB" on the back too!!
    Can we all get one with "THE NORB" on the back?! That would be sweet. But someone would have to buy this for me...I don't want to spend any money on it.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's $249.. but you also have to buy the Marlies beltbuckle for $1,769 if you want a chance to buy the watch.

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    I will wait until a for real watch starts to sponsor TFC, yes, I would be all over a Rolex/Omega/Brietling/IWC watch with TFC on it.

ESQ, not so much.
    ESQ is owned by the Movado Group, there's probably a better return if they sponsor the team with the ESQ brand than the Movado brand, plus if they sent out this email but it was for a $1000+ Movado everybody would be bitching that MLSE is completely out of touch with their fan base.

I'd bet these watches will be discontinued soon, and this is a way to move a few hundred pieces pretty quickly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbanks View Post
    Honestly you are right, it is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I guess I am the kind of supporter who believes in seeing how things play out, not jumping to immediate conclusions based on (terrible) history. I am the eternal optimist. The prior/current negativity has just rubbed me the wrong way.

I do not wish nor intended to hijack this thread, so I shall leave it be.
    Hey Jason - just try to grab the lighter side of this one...

Part of the humour/negativity revolves around the fact that season ticket holders located in the south end are not the typical target audience for a $300 watch - that's a season worth of tickets!! In fact I don't know anyone who has $300 or a watch - unless you consider an i-Phone a watch... Its the mismatch between what the Front Office is trying to achieve, and how they go about it that causes continued hilarity. Their next email will probably be about a great deal on caviar, or truffles, or a $10,000 off coupon at the Jaguar dealership. It is slapstick - it is monty python - it is The Office.... it is the supporter's section... Another layer on this is the quality of some of the cheap crap merchandise that has been pawned off on fans over the years. I purchased a Toronto FC "timepiece" in 2008 - what a piece of shit - didn't work from the day I got it.... ya tink I'd buy me anudder one?

More importantly, to put the current message board humour/irony/cynicism in context, in 2007 there was a little known subclause inserted into the fine print of the RPB charter...

[insert RPB Charter snippet]

Sec IV 13c) states:

IV 13c) CLUSTERFUCK. Where to fore, if Toronto FC ever experiences a 5 1/2 year clusterfuck, all members and
    forum guests are required, by charter, to mock the Front Office mercilessly for an amount
    of time equal to the clusterfuck.

IV 13d) PENALTIES. Where as, and what fore, Failure to invoke the clusterfuck/humour section of this charter
    will result in forum members fighting each other, banning each other and performing message board suicide
    (clinically known as "RPB Eff You Very Much Syndrome").

Sec IV 13e) goes on to say:

IV 13e) EXCEPTION. When is, and who's that, the merciless mockery outlined in sec 13c) can be terminated early, if the four horses of the apocalypse ride in and carry off the three stooges, all of their baggage and watches
    and all their effing useless minions.
    Last edited by tiberius; 07-30-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    It's $249.. but you also have to buy the Marlies beltbuckle for $1,769 if you want a chance to buy the watch.

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Hiyooooooo!!!!!

In all seriousness though, if I had $249 laying around, I'd probably get one. A nice TFC watch would be cool to have.

Alas, I don't have that money laying around, and the team haven't exactly infused me with the desire to run out and get one anyway.

Fix the team, then sell me watches.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I had time to get one of these......!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still holding out for my Quincy Amerikwa fat head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    lulz - regularly $295, but you get a deal if you take one with a TFC crest on it.
    And it's for charity....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    And it's for charity. Don't let that get in the way of a good MLSE bashing.
    Charity is not a catch all clause. MLSE's charity is one of the least efficiently run charities out there. When donating to charities, know how much of a dollar you donated actually went to the people in need and how much become fundraising cost, administrative overhead and 6 figure+ salaries of the charity senior managements. Besides, how much of the purchase actually goes to team up foundation?

Here is a link to MLSE Team Up Foundation's financial report.

http://mlseteamupfoundation.org/medi...ne_30_2011.pdf

Here's a link to CCS's financial report

http://www.cancer.ca/Canada-wide/Abo...2012%20EN.ashx

Compare the revenue and actual money spent on charitable activities and the overhead on administration. May be I'm just cynical today....
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To add to that cynicism, my take on corporations selling gifts for "charity" it's that is likely a scheme to receive a few tax credits and good PR. After all, who's name is on the donation receipt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    To add to that cynicism, my take on corporations selling gifts for "charity" it's that is likely a scheme to receive a few tax credits and good PR. After all, who's name is on the donation receipt?
    Is it really cynical when you're discussing MLSE and profits? This organization doesn't do one damn thing that isn't in the best interest of Larry and the Teachers pocket books. Not one. Soon enough it'll be Larry and the Cable guys, but you get the point.