Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Where are they now?

I did a quick search for a catch all thread, but I didn't see one. My apologies if there is one already.

Perhaps some members of the forum are interested in knowing how former TFC players are doing and where they might currently be playing. Maxim Usanov is now in the Russian First Division with FC Petrotrest Saint Petersburg:

http://www.fc-petrotrest.ru/?part=8&idi=158

He saw action in Petrotrest's season opener away against Ural Sverdlovsk Oblast. Maxim was a 73" minute sub for Mikhail Kozlov.

Maxim has an interesting commentary on his time with TFC which can be found here:

http://www.peoples.ru/sport/football...interview.html

Quote Originally Posted by Google Translate
    Toronto

Tell us how to get from the first division in the MLS?
    - A friend of mine had agents who sent it to the "Derby", and their office is located in England. And sometime in early January of last year we sent them my CV, and two months later they called me and said that "Toronto" is looking right back, called the approximate money. Then immediately decided for myself that try to be unique. Packed up, went to Warsaw - there is just one day I had a visa, and I flew away. Even in Toronto, on view, apparently, liked the coach, so to train seven days, has signed a contract, and in the first official match came in the way.
    Choice between Russia and Canada was not?
    - Was almost ready to deal with a Russian club. But you know, I wanted to play in a country where people go to football, love football. Where conditions have been created for the game. I prior to departure, in principle, has collected some information about stadiums, infrastructure, traffic and the popularity of football. In Toronto, this all right, so I quickly realized that you need to leave.
    Do you remember your first days in Canada?
    - I remember that the language at first I hardly knew, and therefore was due largely gestures. But it helped that I spoke with one Latvians, who was fluent in English. He initially helped me a lot, sometimes to be my interpreter. And so - arrived at the airport, we met a taxi, drove to the hotel. The next day we had a day off, so little time to walk around and see how it works. And then, when we started playing, training, and went a full life, which to some domestic issues was no longer any time. We arrived early in the month of the championship, and it so happened that I did things back in no time - decided that I would go even then, when the championship is going to break.
    We lived in a hotel?
    - The first month and a half - yes. The club then I paid for housing. And then I was introduced to Russian real estate agent - we traveled with him, look, and quickly found a suitable option. In fact, to find a Russian in Toronto that can help you with something, it was easy - my English is given in this respect, everything turned out well. Although at the end of the year I could easily solve all their problems without any outside help - in my language, of course, not perfect, but I understand I can explain myself.
    Leisure time spent with the Russian?
    - Most of my girlfriend (laughs). We lived in downtown, near the stadium, because the training was very early, and the majority of Russian living outside the city. Therefore, even if desired, particularly the possibility of contact with them was not. Communicate mostly with each other and one guy from Latvia - he also lived in Toronto with his bride. Well, with team-mates, of course. The staff in the "Toronto" was quite friendly, we are often invited somewhere, so that any problems in this respect did not arise.
    Restaurants, clubs in Toronto like?
    - After Riga, to be honest, I have no surprise. There is a number of different places that if you want some new experiences, you have a road - Las Vegas. It has already been nowhere. But to Las Vegas, I still have not arrived, and in Toronto, especially with restaurants, sometimes there were problems. We visited many places, but always frequented by only one where the price-quality ratio was more or less adequate. In the United States in this regard, of course, easier - to find a good, tasty place easily, and the prices modest.
    Sometimes, such that they did not know what to do with your spare time?
    - The fact that free time was not so much. Sometimes it went to the movies, yes, but it was for me more than the English lesson. In addition, the same bored did not give the club: some events were held constant - appearances, as they say, in which players were involved. We met with the children, with sponsors, came to the opening of bars and shops. Therefore it was necessary to ever be around, talk to someone, to be photographed. In my case, especially at first, exclusively photographed (laughs). In general, do not have to be bored.
    "Toronto"

Your first match for the "Toronto" - it was a game?
    - The first home game of the season, with the "Philadelphia." I remember the first few minutes of a stadium packed to capacity, the Canadian national anthem booming - even goose bumps ran. Although for me, the match is formed so-so: in the first half was yellow, from me, a minute before the break, scored a goal (laughs). As a result of changed - terribly sad time. In general, the first attempt came out a success, although the team and won 2-1. Later, more or less poobtersya, and everything went well.
    Tell us about the fans.
    - In general, all MLS stadiums are sick fun, but in "Toronto" is particularly active. There is no though in a theater play, in silence - always sing, paint banners. I find it hard to compare with something. Perhaps something in the spirit of the English Championship, if you have been to the games. In fact, really, all very civilized, peaceful. Of course, if the club some problems in the stands and protests, and even express something like that, but in general strongly supported, even when the results are so-so. We are, at least, never booed (Laughs).
    What is the status of the "Toronto" in the MLS?
    - In general, the club is still very young - "Toronto" just five years - and today the team has never been published in the playoffs. It is a pity that it has not been done in the past year, but now it's new leadership, new coaches, so they all just ahead. In addition, last year the club first participated in the CONCACAF Champions League, due to the fact that the year before he became the champion of Canada. True, and in the Champions League in the playoffs to break and could not - did not have just two points. In addition, in the "Toronto" just in time changed the coach, and, in my opinion, this was not the best solution. As a result, we are left without a play-off Champions League, and without a playoff MLS. With the advent of Dasovicha (Nick Dasovich - approx. Sports.ru) we have, by the way, a terrible series began - missing almost three goals per game, lost. Why not? In Prek (Predrag Radosavljevic - former coach of "Toronto" - approx. Sports.ru) no one allowed himself to hackwork, relax - it is their authority to keep us in check, some are even afraid of him. In Dasovicha do not succeed. Floated in a word.
    However, as in the past year, Canada became a champion - what is the title?
    - Not the most prestigious, of course, but in any case, it was nice to be a champion of the country, besides, this is the cup gives the right to participate in the Champions League. In fact, the win was not that simple: the cup is played between the three clubs - "Toronto", "Vancouver" and "Montreal", and had to play on the road - though carried out in parallel matches and MLS, and the Champions League. It was very hard - after all matches are considered fundamental, came a lot of fans on the field no one is spared. Cool it, in fact, very interesting. It is also, incidentally, was my first gold - I was a bronze, silver medalist in Latvia, but the champion had not become anywhere.
    The level of MLS and the team championship of Canada are very different?
    - In fact, if they differ, slightly. "Vancouver", by the way, this year, comes into MLS, «Montreal" - next year. "Montreal" I do very much - great team, in my opinion.

Last edited by BayernTFC; 07-15-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were too many characters to post everything together, so here is the remainder of Maxim's comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Google Translate
    U.S., Cuba, Russia, Latvia, Canada

- All this year - one was impressed. New country, new town, new team, new rivals. Crazy impressed with Seattle, where everyone gathers match sold out - which in Russia is possible to see? And there you come, and all thirty-five thousand sing something, support the team. Yes, the city itself is beautiful. In away matches, we flew the day before, so that the evening is completely dedicated himself - could go to a restaurant somewhere else, just take a walk. Although if you had a very long trip, to fly out and two days, but it very rarely happened. Two or three times per season.
    Washington, DC, Los Angeles, New York - what city is particularly etched in my memory?
    - In fact, all of the city very much. In Los Angeles, we had three days off - decided not to waste time, take a car and drove along the coast: Malibu, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills. Everyone looked everywhere visited. Wow, what can I say. The mass of impressions. Witness the Hollywood swim in the ocean. Los Angeles has very much liked. A New York - it is certainly quite mad city. I can not tell you that much time to see, because it was necessary to prepare for the game, and time enough only to have to go out for dinner. But the atmosphere of New York, its constant movement, frantic pace - it's amazing. While I in cities such a strange feeling - I feel much more comfortable in smaller and quieter.
    Where is not recognized on the streets?
    - (Laughs). By the way, if I was in Canada almost did not recognize, when we are at the end of the season went to Cuba - for Canadians is a kind of Egypt to the Russian - there is already recognized by many. Came up and wished good luck. Actually, probably Cuba - this is the most vivid impression (laughs). We wanted a very long time to get there, but from St. Petersburg and Riga is still very far away, so did not dare. And here turned up such an opportunity - and not too expensive, and long to fly, so we did not even choose where to spend your vacation. Had already decided that they spend ten days in Cuba and, frankly, were ecstatic. See how people are still living under communism, how life works, and just walk in Havana, admire the views - it was all very interesting.
    In Russia, have not dropped in?
    - Flew immediately after the departure of the "Toronto". At home in St. Petersburg, spent about a month, and is closer to the Catholic Christmas, returned to Riga - my girlfriend is a native of Latvia, and for them it is a very big holiday, so I could not miss it. Actually, I think, the way Christmas is celebrated in Europe, in Canada - a must-see. I'm not Catholic, but even I have been in Toronto for six to eight weeks there was a feeling within the grand holiday - I do not know about you, but I have in Russia is almost never happened. And everything is so beautiful that it seems as if you really got into a fairy tale: adorned windows, svyatyaschiesya trees at every turn. And these huge trees in shopping malls with crazy toys and occasionally falling from above the artificial snow. This is so imbued with the festive atmosphere that is ready to ride almost every day for the gifts (laughs).
    In Canada, some found the holidays?
    - I remember the day, Canada - with fireworks, festivals, but I, frankly, that day is so tired that I only looked out the window several times and all. There was another day to fight breast cancer. I remember that even a few days practicing with pink balls. At first I did not know this, and then look at - our goalkeeper came from the premise of "Adidas" with pink gloves. He began his pin up, and only then learned that the pink color - the main color of the day. We are all pink and towels are handed out, and T-Shirts, and balls. In general, it is strange, but the most memorable summit "Twenty Grand", when the city barricaded, and could neither walk nor ride. Prior to the stadium I was an hour and a half to get, instead of the usual twenty minutes.
    MLS

Rafael Marquez , Thierry Henry - the MLS continues to deliver the superstars. You have already played against them?
    - When playing with the "New York" - yes, and Henry, and Marquez had already been on the team. Beat us 1-0. Henry certainly made an impression - a man in his 33 runs, creates scores. Interestingly, of course, was playing against him. On the other hand, all people, all you can beat. The main thing is that the name is not pressed upon you. But football, like life - fun stuff: today you go against Ivanov, and tomorrow - against Henry.
    Or Beckham.
    - When Beckham was injured, so that with him I have not played, but like crazy. I, frankly, until recently, had hoped that we will come about in the playoffs, he will recover and we will meet with the "Galaxy". But for now, apparently, not fate (laughs). But leaving Donovan - also a very good player, it was hard to play against him. On the other hand, with the same "Galaxy" both times we played 0:0. I like it, honestly, and like in the MLS - almost all the teams are on the same level and at the forefront dedication, desire to win. It all depends on how much you will be made available in a particular match. Notorious favorites or outsiders is not the case.
    It seems to return to Russia as soon as you do not plan to.
    - I like the MLS and I want to continue to serve here. But at any moment everything can change. Be listed in the MLS, but did not play - this is also not good. On the other hand, if we compare with Russia - this is a completely different planet. But in Russia, for example, you can earn, but the MLS does not. In the "Toronto" to the whole team is allocated 2.5 million and must be divided by 25. There may be, of course, three of the millionaire who does not fall under these rules. But the overall situation is that in Russia, a man sitting on a bench in the first league gets bigger. When I called the Russian guys the amount they have hair on end rose. "Why did you come here, then?" - Asked. But I have for all this money going to sit on the bench, and here I'm playing football. For me it is more important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayernTFC View Post
    There were too many characters to post everything together, so here is the remainder of Maxim's comments:

Thanks. That was an enjoyable read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was interesting to read what Maxim Usanov had to say about Preki and Dasovic. I guess Preki demanded respect from the players and Dasovic was a bit of a pushover.

GK- Brian Edwards, is playing in Swedish division 2
    DF- Leslie Fellinga, is back in the Netherlands playing in 3rd division.
    MF/FW- Pablo Vitti, is a free agent after having bounced around a few leagues in S.A.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Later, more or less poobtersya
    hey now! we're VERY poobtersya!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://translate.google.com/translat...or-nieuwe-kans

Soolsma on trial with Excelsior Rotterdam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Thanks. That was an enjoyable read.
    You're welcome Blizzard. I appreciated the candidness of Maxim's comments as well. It was interesting to read his impressions of his time with TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    GK- Brian Edwards, is playing in Swedish division 2
    I liked what I saw from Brian Edwards while he was with TFC. I remember him coming in cold when replacing Greg Sutton in a couple of games and handling himself admirably. I always felt that he was a decent option, but fell victim to being on a squad which drafted Stefan Frei and later signed Milos Kocic. I didn't understand letting Edwards go and picking up John Conway as a backup instead, but at least Brian eventually found regular minutes elsewhere. Good for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC The Hague View Post

Thank you very much for posting this. It's good news. Here's hoping he receives a contract offer from SBV Excelsior. I'm pulling for you Nick!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC The Hague View Post

Good news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked what I saw from Brian Edwards while he was with TFC. I remember him coming in cold when replacing Greg Sutton in a couple of games and handling himself admirably. I always felt that he was a decent option, but fell victim to being on a squad which drafted Stefan Frei and later signed Milos Kocic. I didn't understand letting Edwards go and picking up John Conway as a backup instead, but at least Brian eventually found regular minutes elsewhere. Good for him.
    In case you didn't see this:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Inside...anEdwards.aspx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this interesting.

"Unfortunately, I still feel I was never given a chance with Preki and from day one there was an uneasy feel between us that I have never been able to explain."

RNO: Were you ever given a reason as to why you were waived?

Brian Edwards:
    I was never given a reason. It was certainly a solo Preki decision. He never gave me any chance to play during preseason and barely even spoke to me the entire time. It was a big shock and the timing could not have been worse. With rosters set, it is almost the ultimate disrespect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My personal favourite "where are they now" from Past TFC players is Martin Saric, who most recently went to jail for robbing a Pharmacy in Florida.
    Last edited by maxpower; 07-17-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read somewhere that Fuad Ibrahim is playing for Minnesota in the NASL

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^And __wowza's off to the Twin Cities!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    My personal favourite "where are they now" from Past TFC players is Martin Saric, who most recently went to jail for robbing a Pharmacy in Florida.
    I thought I'd heard that the charges had been dropped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    He got arrested for shoplifting, yes. Now he's playing for Sportivo Luqueño in Paraguay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Thanks for posting that spark. I hadn't seen that article before, and it was an enjoyable read. It's nice when players feel comfortable enough to speak frankly about their experiences, and there was some insight within Brian's comments. I think it was interesting to read about Brian's impressions of Sweden:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Edwards
    When my contract is up, I will be looking to explore my options both here and back home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Edwards
    Sweden is a beautiful country and I enjoy the life style and culture. I am accustomed to larger cities like Charlotte and Toronto so it has been an adjustment living in Degerfors. The people are genuine, hard-working and have welcomed me with open arms. I will be forever grateful to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I found this interesting.

"Unfortunately, I still feel I was never given a chance with Preki and from day one there was an uneasy feel between us that I have never been able to explain."

RNO: Were you ever given a reason as to why you were waived?

Brian Edwards:
    I was never given a reason. It was certainly a solo Preki decision. He never gave me any chance to play during preseason and barely even spoke to me the entire time. It was a big shock and the timing could not have been worse. With rosters set, it is almost the ultimate disrespect.
    Not only was Preki's decision to release Brian at such a late moment disrespectful, but it seems vindictive. Such poor treatment of Brian at the end of his tenure with TFC would appear to have been done to purposefully limit his chances of finding employment elsewhere and greatly reduce his bargaining position with MLS. I was very sad to see Nick Soolsma leave Toronto, but at least TFC offered him the chance to find employment elsewhere while the summer transfer window was still open. Altering that type of behaviour is one of the subtle changes which I have been looking to see from TFC magement, and I give Mariner's team credit for doing it. If Nick wasn't in Mariner's plans, or if he was going to return home at the end of the season anyway, I'm glad a compromise was reached that would benefit both parties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I read somewhere that Fuad Ibrahim is playing for Minnesota in the NASL
    Apparently so:

http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=2&playerID=382

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only was Preki's decision to release Brian at such a late moment disrespectful, but it seems vindictive. Such poor treatment of Brian at the end of his tenure with TFC would appear to have been done to purposefully limit his chances of finding employment elsewhere and greatly reduce his bargaining position with MLS.
    It's hard not to connect the fact that (i) Cronin and Edwards were the only two players who would talk to the press after the 5-0 game concluding the 2009 season, and (ii) the organization treated them like they were dead in 2010.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Andrea Lombardo is with SC Toronto - so probably still taking the TTC to games, then.

... and Raivis Hščanovičs is with FK Ventspils in Latvia.
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 07-18-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to read what these guys think of their time here.
    BTW, I try to resist being a spelling Nazi but shouldn't the title be "Where are they now"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jarrod Smith is playing in the Swedish 2nd division after spending a season in the New Zealand league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post

... and Raivis Hščanovičs is with FK Ventspils in Latvia.
    Ah yes, Steve Hščanovičs. lol. Ventspils is not such a bad little team. The defending Virsliga champions. Hščanovičs is seeing regular minutes with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    BTW, I try to resist being a spelling Nazi but shouldn't the title be "Where are they now"?
    I tried to change the title using advanced mode, but it only changed the heading of the OP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's hard not to connect the fact that (i) Cronin and Edwards were the only two players who would talk to the press after the 5-0 game concluding the 2009 season, and (ii) the organization treated them like they were dead in 2010.
    It's an attitude and a behaviour that didn't help the team. Sam Cronin and Brian Edwards have landed on their feet. Some would argue that both players are better off now. And TFC? Maybe the damage is beginning to get cleaned up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard that Sanyang is with the Charleston Battery. It would be nice if TFC went back there for pre-season again next year.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jeff Cunnigham is currently without a club... don't even think it.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Jeff Cunnigham is currently without a club... don't even think it.
    He would tear the fan base apart. lol

Speaking of ex-tfc strikers, Bad Charret is on trial in Norway

http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/scoops/...v%C3%A5lerenga