Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ryan Johnson

What's the deal with RJ? he wastes so many crucial chances to soccer. Three last Wednesday. three simple, guaranteed chances. he gets easily frustrated at his own poor performance. this guy just cannot score. he also doesnt pass to others, cannot run, and lookslike he just wants to cry all the time. i think he is overrated; time to go....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's how he's always been. San Jose gave him up for a reason.

We were blinded by a few great performances after he arrived, but what we are seeing now is the real Ryan Johnson.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He wasn't brought in to be the number 1 striker, that's why we have Danny K.
    3 goals 4 assists isn't horrible. Not sure why you think we were blinded. I wouldn't put him on a petistile, but I wouldn't send him to the bench either.

I think in the 4-4-2 we are playing, he is going to get a lot more chances.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

around and around we go. Just substitute Ryan Johnson for Chad Barrett in any one of these threads.

It has always been thus.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RJ's strike rate is abysmal in MLS. Always has been, likely always will be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what issue anyone could have is with RJ. He's played every minute of every game this year and always gives 100%. He's totally a typical striker. When he's hot like the way he started the year, he nails every chance he gets. When he's not hot he needs a few chances to hit the back of the net. I'm sure we all know the cliche, "as long as he's getting chances he's ok". He is getting in good positions; it's just not going in right now.

Before Danny K got hot I know a lot of people were questioning him. Now he is just about a god because of his tremendous strike rate.

imho, RJ may not be scoring right now but he's not whats wrong with the team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlocks View Post
    Not sure what issue anyone could have is with RJ. He's played every minute of every game this year and always gives 100%. He's totally a typical striker. When he's hot like the way he started the year, he nails every chance he gets. When he's not hot he needs a few chances to hit the back of the net. I'm sure we all know the cliche, "as long as he's getting chances he's ok". He is getting in good positions; it's just not going in right now.

Before Danny K got hot I know a lot of people were questioning him. Now he is just about a god because of his tremendous strike rate.

3 missed guaranteed chances, and you don't classify as wrong?
    consider his position, and the guaranteed chances he gets and misses!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does the terrier striker role very well. Thus, he creates room for Koevs by barging around all over the place.

But we could and should do better then him up there. There are belligerent strikers who can actually score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not going in right now, last year or the year before.

100% fact.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2012/5...rk-and-toronto
    http://www.sounderatheart.com/2011/4...of-the-picture

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Study
    At the other end we have Ryan Johnson, who last year was either uncommonly terrible or just unlucky. I'm going on the theory that he was unlucky and that he should see a significant increase in his Strike Rate (and public perception) this season if he's given the opportunity,
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 Study
    Now let's look at Toronto. They've spread it around a little more, but 98 of their 141 shots have come from 6 players. The leader in shots is Ryan Johnson, who's scored 1 goal in league play on 28 shots, for a comically bad strike rate of 3.6%. The moment I saw Johnson's name, an alarm went off in my head, because he's shown up in our stats articles in the past. For example, in this article I use him as an example of a player with an unusually low strike rate and therefore someone who might be due to rebound. He even got top billing in the accompanying photo and caption. Well, it turns out that he was not due for a rebound year. In 2011 for San Jose and Toronto he scored 3 goals in 46 shots for a strike rate of 6.5%. Better than his 2010 year of 2.7%, but not good. With three years of stats to look at, I'm comfortable coming to the conclusion that Ryan Johnson isn't unlucky. He's just a really bad striker. Consider how good San Jose has become now that he's been replaced by Steven Lenhart. And consider how bad Toronto has become now that he's the offensive focus. My apologies to the Johnson family, but facts are facts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His performance in the CCL last year alone makes him worth keeping...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daner90 View Post
    His performance in the CCL last year alone makes him worth keeping...
    great. let's keep him for the 4 games TFC will play in CCL this year?

As much as I think RJ has a role in TFC, mainly due to his tenacity and ability to play multiple positions, I don't think he should be starting every game. He's just not consistent enough in front of goals. Gotta love his Cup goal scoring stats though
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This alone should tell people to find something else to moan about. Despite the misses(fustrating) the most consistent performer this season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    around and around we go. Just substitute Ryan Johnson for Chad Barrett in any one of these threads.

It has always been thus.
    Funny... right after he missed on the 1-on-1 where the ball bounced off the Shitecraps defender into him giving the direct chance on goal, I turned to my wife and said "oh no, he's the new Chad Barrett".

And for the record, I always liked Chad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's like a cross between O'Brien White, Ali Gerba and a lame horse. Whats with the hopping about all bandy legged all the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    He wasn't brought in to be the number 1 striker, that's why we have Danny K.
    3 goals 4 assists isn't horrible. Not sure why you think we were blinded. I wouldn't put him on a petistile, but I wouldn't send him to the bench either.

I think in the 4-4-2 we are playing, he is going to get a lot more chances.
    Blinded probably wasn't the right way to describe it. More like expectations were raised.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    This alone should tell people to find something else to moan about. Despite the misses(fustrating) the most consistent performer this season.
    in missing 100% chances and sitters.

It is nothing new that people of Toronto like blue collar players no matter how shit their skill and strike rate is,while players like R.Johnosn or Duneflied would be bench warmers in any other MLS team,here in TO they are Starters and only reason why is "they play hard"while the rest of the team plays smart,go figure.

He is one legged striker and that's why his strike rate is poor,by the time he makes that extra turn to set himself for the left leg he puts him self in shitty position to score or get blocked by defender.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That didn't take long. I guess RJ is going to be the new scapegoat with JDG gone.

This is the same RJ that has been here all along. He does bring something to the team and has a work rate that the manager loves.

People need to realize that this is the prototypical MLS striker. If MLS could produce strikers that we're clinical and scored every opportunity they get other team would scoop them up. There is a reason why most teams that sign DPs use it on strikers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    in missing 100% chances and sitters.

It is nothing new that people of Toronto like blue collar players no matter how shit their skill and strike rate is,while players like R.Johnosn or Duneflied would be bench warmers in any other MLS team,here in TO they are Starters and only reason why is "they play hard"while the rest of the team plays smart,go figure.

He is one legged striker and that's why his strike rate is poor,by the time he makes that extra turn to set himself for the left leg he puts him self in shitty position to score or get blocked by defender.
    No in taking the field for us in every game thus far, in getting the campaign started with Tfcs first goals this season.

You dont have to tell me what he lacks(trust me I know).

Still doesnt negate the fact that he has always been there to be called upon, and was one of the key protagonist in the 3-0 trouncing of montreal.
    people always comment about his attitude but the funny thing is he`s never been sent off in his Mls career, unlike other fan favourites. So no he is not Klass jan huntelaar, if he was even close to that he probably wouldnt be in this team or this league.

But I still stand by my statement TFC`s most consistent player this season.

So if we are gonna make threads talking about what certain players dont do right, we should make one for all of them.
    Last edited by DoubleUp; 07-14-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread wouldn't exist if he didn't hit the post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ have some + rep brooker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find this idea of scapegoating rather funny. As if the quality of players that we field has absolutely nothing to do with the position that we always find our selves in. You might as well say that "crappy players is the reality for TFC". Good teams have good starters, non playoff teams have mediocre to bad players in their starting lineups. It might be a credit to RJ that he`s played every minute, but it certainly is not a credit to TFC that they`ve played a striker with such a bad strike rate every minute of the season. If anything it`s a sign of how bad we are.

It is not the reality of MLS to have a squad like ours. The reality is that TFC has a squad with crappy players every year. People need to realize that, `cause right now management could go pick up the shittiest players in the world and some people would still defend them as being important players for an MLS team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's our Jamaican Emile Heskey, isn't that great?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Ryan and I see him missing chances all the time, but look at his playing time, the guy hasn't had a break. A little rest might be a good thing.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I like Ryan and I see him missing chances all the time, but look at his playing time, the guy hasn't had a break. A little rest might be a good thing.
    I think people need to be aware of a few things:

1. His strike rate from San Jose is a bullshit statistic; he only played striker there for about five months in 2009. He played wide forward and winger the rest of the time, so much of his shooting was from outside the box or angles. When he did play striker, he scored eight in 18 starts, so he wasn't awful. In fact, this is right before they started playing Wondo, and Johnson was their main striker.
    2. The guy scores highlight real goals from around the top of the box (three already this year). So his finishing isn't the problem. It's his finishing IN CLOSE, because he has a long stride and a slow release. These are actually things a good coach could somewhat mitigate if paying attention; given that Mariner is an ex-striker of some note, that might yet happen.
    3. He delivers a decent cross, he passes well, he closes down poorly but tackles well.

For MLS, Johnson has a good package of skills. Again this is the first time he's played close to the six-yard box in four seasons, so that might just come around, too. In case anyone hasn't noticed, Danny K went eight games without a goal at one point and missed several in close. It happens.

Again, this gets blown from "it happens" to "he's a bum" because he hit one post, let one go late and was stoned by the keeper, and some guy wrote an analysis that didn't account for positioning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's good depth at the striker position for this team.

Definitely worth keeping around, I think he will only get better, and that he has done well for us so far.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he was our top striker I'd be more ornery about it. As it is I think if he stops whining and be ok with his role up there he'd be a part of almost double the amount of scoring chances.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefered Chad Barrett, but the are pretty similar in terms of goals, but Chad was a much better workhorse than RJ. I'm not a big fan of RJ, really. He gets frustrated way too easily and puts himself off his own game sometimes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    That didn't take long. I guess RJ is going to be the new scapegoat with JDG gone.

This is the same RJ that has been here all along. He does bring something to the team and has a work rate that the manager loves.

People need to realize that this is the prototypical MLS striker. If MLS could produce strikers that we're clinical and scored every opportunity they get other team would scoop them up. There is a reason why most teams that sign DPs use it on strikers.
    Not really, people have been making these comments about RJ for a while now...because the facts reported aren't new, they are years of data.

I have no idea how you can call any player in sport a prototype when they fail to fulfill the main role of their job to anything other than an unsatisfactory level. Sort MLS player stats by goals scored and count the number of players with sub 10% strike rates. There's just 3 in the top 25, and only one player in the top 50 has a worse strike rate than he. This is not prototypical at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we're going to improve we need to do better than Johnson.

I disagree with you on principle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Not really, people have been making these comments about RJ for a while now...because the facts reported aren't new, they are years of data.

I have no idea how you can call any player in sport a prototype when they fail to fulfill the main role of their job to anything other than an unsatisfactory level. Sort MLS player stats by goals scored and count the number of players with sub 10% strike rates. There's just 3 in the top 25, and only one player in the top 50 has a worse strike rate than he. This is not prototypical at all.
    Wasn't there a "favourite player" poll earlier in the season on this forum and RJ came out on top, or very close to top?