Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    TFC get Andrew Wiedeman for JDG
    Seems like a squad player. Scored a bunch of goals at college but hasn't played much for Dallas.
    At least he's a forward. We're only one DK pulled muscle away from not having enough of those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how the Dallas has Hyndman saying "He will give FC Dallas an additional veteran that can solidify our possession style of play."

I guess the inverse is true for TFC. Looks like the people nervous about Winter going are having their fears come true. We have yet another complete break in philosophy, and yet another rebuild around yet another playing style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    im going to refute this to the death. we didn't want "him" specifically.
    we wanted a canadian DP. he was chosen. he was given a ridiculous salary (seriously, even at the time it was ridiculous). he was given a 3 year contract.
    I distincly remember signatures on these boards stating straight up JDG for TFC...I don't know how that doesn't indicate that we didn't want him specifically. We all saw how well he played for Canada, saw that he had won player of the season for La Coruna and said WANT.

I wish him luck in FC Dallas, where he cannot face the amount of pressure he did here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2. the game after he fucked up the wall and let a free kick in.
    The famous Julian 'I JUMPED OUT OF THE WAY' de Guzman DEBACLE...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Exactly. It's not like other Toronto DPs have not lived up to those so called unattainable goals. Frings and Koev have lived up to my expectations.
    they've surpassed my expectations. i thought they'd be competent, but i never expected them to be so hard working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The famous Julian 'I JUMPED OUT OF THE WAY' de Guzman DEBACLE...
    Ah yes another bold faced lie by the club. "Juilian wasen't supposed to be in the wall" despite him being there 80 percent of the time before and after the incident.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I distincly remember signatures on these boards stating straight up JDG for TFC...I don't know how that doesn't indicate that we didn't want him specifically. We all saw how well he played for Canada, saw that he had won player of the season for La Coruna and said WANT.

I wish him luck in FC Dallas, where he cannot face the amount of pressure he did here.
    i can't disagree that there was a few, but i mean in the grand scheme. there were bigger names floating around and better supported than him. i shouldn't have generalized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I like how the Dallas has Hyndman saying "He will give FC Dallas an additional veteran that can solidify our possession style of play."

I guess the inverse is true for TFC. Looks like the people nervous about Winter going are having their fears come true. We have yet another complete break in philosophy, and yet another rebuild around yet another playing style.
    It does seem like this team is headed back to where it was a few years ago. I wonder if we'll actually see another DP signing, or if we'll go back to the day where the ticket sales had to happen first, and then the money got spent. This team operated with one of the highest payrolls in the league for a couple of years but that was really spending the money earned in the first three 'sell-out' years.

So maybe the change in style is a move to be able to field a cheaper team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we managed to get rid of an inconsistent DP with a bad contract, for some jobber and a bunch of cap room. Works for me.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just about did a spit-take when I first saw the news this morning. My feelings are mixed about this - I'm still amazed that Dunfield is valued higher than JDG. I would like to have kept JDG at a much-lower salary, but I get the feeling JDG wouldn't have put up with a lower offer from the same team that hired him at an exhorbitant rate. I guess this will be a fresh start for him and for TFC. We'll see how it goes from here, I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiedeman Andrew - Base: $80,000.00, Guaranteed $123,000.00

Doubt he'll be here next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    DAL Wiedeman Andre -Base: $80,000.00, Guaranteed 123,000.00

Doubt he'll be here next year.

Kind like the Peri pick up last year.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the number of publications ive read that've named him near the bottom of useful DPs in our league is astounding.
    Denilson is widely considered the absolute worst of all time (I'd agree). The other two who are usually in the mix are JDG and Mista. Two of the worst DPs for the "worst team in the world."
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long does a GA player stay off cap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can see season ticket sales going down by at least 25% in the off season,so they need a dp with some flash.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mista... oh, yeah - that guy.

I predict that Frings blows out a knee and we end the year the way it started - on a 9 game losing streak.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG was a good, not great player in my books, but basically stole a DP spot and was overvalued and overpaid. But that was on the heads of management, not the fans, we were desperate for a DP signing, because that was what TFC management and MLS want fans to believe every MLS team requires to be succesful. I beleived JDG was a better player than he actually is, I would have loved him to stay at a greatly reduced salary. to better the team, but that would never happen, so hopefully we have opened up a spot and put it to good use. good luck to JDG at Dallas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that it's official, I'm anxiously waiting for the other shoe(s) to drop. It's time for Mariner to show his mettle as a wheeler and dealer.

Outgoing - Plata, Soolsma, JDG

Incoming - Wiedeman

Not even close to good enough. We'll see what transpires during the rest of the transfer window.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me this news is more material for the future of the club than the coach shuffle we just completed. The importance of shedding this albatross player/contract cannot be overstated. We get a DP slot, (relatively) tons of allocation room and the potential to fill the hole with something truly marvellous. Now, since Paul Mariner is no genius when it comes to picking marvellous players, I say forget the last part of that sentence. Even so, this could position us for a much stronger squad going forward.

Also agree this Weideman dude won't be here next year. That's a lot of dosh for not a lot of playing time.

Sign Didier Drogba from Shenhua for $20 mil a year. I'll renew.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Now that it's official, I'm anxiously waiting for the other shoe(s) to drop. It's time for Mariner to show his mettle as a wheeler and dealer.

Incoming - Wiedeman

Not even close to good enough. We'll see what transpires during the rest of the transfer window.
    Add to that Burgos already left, and Aceval imminent? That's quite a lot of players leaving in a short space of time!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I agree. It's quite irresponsible and the headline smacks of desperation. Armen, I applaud your efforts and I know your passion about being a TFC and soccer reporter, but I hope that, with experience, you realize that this sort of activity doesn't help your credibility.
    I'm trying my best, and figuring things out on the job, but I stand by what I wrote.
    All we did last night was confirm that there was rumours of JDG leaving (which happened) and that TFC was interested in Kevin McKenna, something that was only a rumour on message boards before.

As for the title, perhaps a question mark at the end would have made things clearer. However, what I reported on, I'm comfortable with.

As always, I'll keep you updated when I hear more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    A lot of us (me included) saw JDG the first time in the Jamaica international game at BMO. He looked classy that day and I thought, along with a lot of others, that he would be a fantastic signing. We were all definitely wrong. What we saw against Jamaica was JDG on a shit-hot day, not to be repeated.
    ^this, which is also similar to us falling in love with Terry Dunfield's performance against Ecuador in Sept. 2010 (when he completely outclassed JDG).
    Last edited by VoxPopuliCosmicum; 07-13-2012 at 09:50 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

Incoming - Wiedeman

Definitely light in terms of what we have back at this point. But it's still early.

TFC have been clearing up their payroll to give them room to make some moves. Time will tell how this all pans out and we will get some real insight into Mariner and Cochrane's ability to manage the roster and improve it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i can see season ticket sales going down by at least 25% in the off season,so they need a dp with some flash.
    Or just sell fewer tickets. Remember 14,000 was the expected number of ticket sales when the team started. When the actual sales were higher - and after three years of pressure and promises - some of that extra money got spent. But it wasn't very well spent and ticket sales have gone down. So now someone will have to make the case that spending more money will result in more ticket sales and is worth the risk.

Who's going to stand in front of the MLSE board and make that case convincingly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post

As for the title, perhaps a question mark at the end would have made things clearer. However, what I reported on, I'm comfortable with.
    That's all it needed and it would have been a fine article. People are taking issue with the title which seemed to state fact, when in the article itself there were statements preceded by maybes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last week JDG said in the media that they sat down to discuss a new contact then we get this news. Could be that the brass said they would like him to sign as a non-DP and get a fair wage for what he does and he said no. Then we'd may as well dump him and get something, even cap relief, rather than get saddled with him for the rest of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see the logic of this move .. but still really disappointed, seeing as I was one of the few who really hoped he'd turn up and show us the quality he possessed in CMNT and Deportiva matches. Not sure I like where the club is going in terms of the players we've been shedding. First, my favourite player Plata, now JDG. Sigh..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch Dallas swing JDG to DC next year where he'll play great with DeRo and for half his salary. Things will be as they should of here. *sigh

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Good riddance. This is a happy day. This guy was on autopilot (and that's putting it generously) since the day he came here.
    thats a nice way to put it
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    I can see the logic of this move .. but still really disappointed, seeing as I was one of the few who really hoped he'd turn up and show us the quality he possessed in CMNT and Deportiva matches. Not sure I like where the club is going in terms of the players we've been shedding. First, my favourite player Plata, now JDG. Sigh..
    I felt the same way in the past, but based on their collective contributions on the pitch this season, I can live with the departures of Plata and JDG. Soolsma is the most significant loss in my opinion.