Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I'm excited to see what Wiedeman can do. I know everybody is beyond pessimistic around here but for once let's not write him off as a useless bench warmer just yet.
    I think it's safe to say that, for TFC, the biggest part of the deal is freeing up a DP slot. I'm not expecting much from Wiedeman. If he surprises, then great.

You never know... I'm certainly not gonna write off a striker based on wikipedia stats especially when Dallas made him play as a right back ffs.
    I think others are using more than just a Wikipedia page to assess the trade. Wiedeman has been in MLS for a couple of seasons, and opinions on him have been formed:

Quote Originally Posted by ttujosh
    It cost them a guy who in my opinion has a big bag of nothing who did well in preseason, but in games looked completely overwhelmed.
    http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/t...uzman.1948069/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Welpton
    So, if Dallas gets JdG here and only gave up Andrew Wiedeman – a young player who frankly always looked like he was drowning in the MLS waters – then they have lost very little and have a lot to gain.
    http://www.3rddegree.net/2012/07/14/...inning-ticket/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mariner
    "He's young. He's very, very hungry. He's one of the best finishers I've seen in the modern era. I'm looking for him to really take the bull by the horns and take this opportunity,”
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/...an_toronto_fc/

Who to believe? Of course there is always Andrew Wiedeman's opinion of himself to go by:

“Coaches have a certain style they want to play. Dallas is all about the speed and the counter attack and lightning quickness, and that’s really not my game,”
    “I’m comfortable in both of those spots. It’s a little more natural for me up top but I can also play out wide. I’m comfortable with that,” Wiedeman affirmed. “I can strike a clean ball. That’s always been my strength. I like being in and around the box and being opportunistic.” Wiedeman stated.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/...an_toronto_fc/

and there are also these comments to go by:

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan783
    I would say that Mariner is over exaggerating how much of a cap hit FCD is taking.
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Ajax
    If FCD is taking only part of the cap hit for the time he spends there (meaning TFC covers part of it), than saying otherwise is a lie, not an exaggeration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan783
    That is most logical. FCD is short on cap space. FCD is also still looking for a striker, implying they have cap space available, post JDG trade. It's really pointless I suppose. No one can prove anyone wrong since terms aren't disclosed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kramer
    Mariner's a lying liar. Dallas doesn't have the cap room to take much of a hit from de Guzman's salary. My guess would be at most we're taking 20%, and in actuality it's probably a lot less than that.
    http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/t...#post-26039951

Hmmmm...Who to believe? I'll guess we'll have to wait to see how Wiedeman performs for TFC. I hope he can live up to Paul Mariner's lofty statements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BHTC Mike View Post
    This should be about making one of the most important signings in TFC history and doing it RIGHT this summer.
    I don't think you can blame some supporters for worrying about the outcome of this. As you state yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by BHTC Mike View Post
    it's TFC, they'll probably fuck this up
    I certainly don't blame others for being cautious and concerned about Paul Mariner's decision making ability. He has a mixed record at best, imho. His track record at TFC for finding players that fit a possession based style doesn't lend me comfort. I also don't like the idea of handing a temporary management team the keys to TFC's future. However, you might know something the rest of us don't, no? Maybe Mariner is TFC's coaching future and a new direction is already being set? I am glad that you are happy with the direction the team is now taking. I'll wait to see what Mr. Mariner does with his time at TFC first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To have got rid of De Guzman and his joke salary and get anything more than a box of carrots for him is great business. He has been the best example of a crap player getting a joke contract. Good riddance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    To have got rid of De Guzman and his joke salary and get anything more than a box of carrots for him is great business.
    I think Mariner's management team deserves credit for moving the remaining half season of JDG's contract and affording TFC the ability to find another DP during this summer's transfer window. JDG didn't look like he was going to feature for TFC any longer, and the team certainly needs help. However, JDG's contract was due to expire on Dec. 31, 2012. If Paul Mariner decides to fill TFC's recently vacated DP slot beyond 2012, then I hope he gets it right. Creating the space is the easier part of the job. Let's see how the space is filled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing is that De Guzman played under a number of different coaches and thus a number of different styles... but he never found himself. I never thought he showed much more than average or slightly-above average (at times) ability in Major League Soccer. He was battler, but often it led to rash challenges and fouls... and he wasn't physically strong enough to make a difference as a defensive midfielder (Shalrie Joseph was the model in that regard, until he started playing forward. LOL). De Guzman could make some cute sideways passes, but never could get much going forward. He also had an annoying habit of sticking his foot out lazily in front of shots.... I remember giving up a goal because of that habit.

At his price against the cap, he needed to go. Look around the league and there are a number of players doing what he was expected to do and making less. If Mariner can fill the DP spot with someone as influential on defense as Frings is in the midfield and Koev is at striker, then this team will be better and the cap use will be more effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Mariner did not say that, did he? Oh dear god.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    there's nothing wrong with signing a Canadian DP if he's the best available. The problem is that Mckenna's being targeted because he's Canadian, not becuase he's the best CB available
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayernTFC View Post

I think others are using more than just a Wikipedia page to assess the trade. Wiedeman has been in MLS for a couple of seasons, and opinions on him have been formed:.
    Not to sound like a prick (I certainly sound like one) but I highly doubt anybody around here paid him any attention before this week.... atleast not enough to give an educated opinion on him.
    Last edited by Brooker; 07-15-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to sound like a prick (I certainly sound like one) but I highly doubt anybody around here paid him any attention before this week.... atleast not enough to give an educated opinion on him.
    You're alright. I was inferring the seeking out of opinions from others who had seen him play. Wiedeman received the traditional TFC baptism by fire last night. If you watched the game last night, I'm sure you'll have started to form your own opinions about him. The odds are that Wiedeman will receive another opportunity to help shape your opinions of him further.