Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBrace View Post
    So you rather carry a bloated salary and take up a DP slot for the remainder of the season, Chop?
    No i rather us free up space by getting rid of the players we don't need. And anyone that thinks that just getting a dp will suddenly solve all of our problems is crazy. We should spread that salary cap around and buy 2-3 good players instead of just bringing in 1 big name that may end up being a flop.

The first thing we should have done is get rid of several of the cbs we have. we have 7-8 of them and we don't need that many, many of them don't play at all talk about wasting salary cap space.

We get rid of Soolsma and Plata and replaced them with this.... a 22 year old with 5 appearances.... who would u rather have? but hey we're building for the future (again) and we're doing a good job so far getting rid of good players and bringing and keeping crap to set up ourselves several more years of disappointment.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Mariner stating that Dallas is assuming the full cap hit for JDG so that is good. I guess we are just picking up some salary so who cares? Not my money.

Also in regards to the MLS teams using the 4-3-3, yes lots do but most have more in common with hideously ugly football than the total football concept. Watch a few KC matches and see how they use the long ball and constant pressure as their game plan. Remember we used the 4-3-3 with Cummins and we had a whole boat load of inept players prancing around out there at the time. That wasn't exactly pleasing football either. Formation has fuck all to do with the brand of football being played.
    Dallas has 100-200K space in their cap,that should cover for half of 335K,what about the other 1.6 mil.?
    Agree ,brand of football we play now is 'when under pressure Boot it" hoofball, instead pass, move ,possession brand that previous coach wanted to implement.
    Last edited by denime; 07-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so out of curiosity, how much salary cap space and allocation do we have left?

In a dream scenario, I'd love to see TFC sign McKenna as a non DP and by-pass the allocation process and sign Boca as a DP. Imagine how much better our backline would be overnight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    Any news about Wiedeman
    According to some FC Dallas fans on BigSoccer, I wouldn't expect much from him:

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan783
    If that is true then I would consider it fair. I am not sure if DeGuzman is really needed but neither is Wiedeman. Although, he would probably benefit the most from this trade if he finds playing time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman
    But if he shows up and is a traffic cone, he's gone at the end of the season and all FCD lost was Wiedeman, who frankly has never looked MLS quality to begin with.
    http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/t...uzman.1948069/

For TFC's sake, I hope Wiedeman's contract expires at the end of this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BayernTFC View Post
    According to some FC Dallas fans on BigSoccer, I wouldn't expect much from him:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/t...uzman.1948069/

For TFC's sake, I hope Wiedeman's contract expires at the end of this season.
    I believe they've tried to find a fit for him in Dallas by trying him at fullback as well as striker. And yeah, he's on a GA deal that expires this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    And yeah, he's on a GA deal that expires this year.
    Okay. I was just hoping this wasn't another case of a player graduating from GA status while the team is left on the hook for the remainder of the contract. I thought GA contracts were for 4 years, but I did find some information that suggests that's not always the case:

If a player gets a GA contract, is he more or less “in” MLS for four years regardless of his performance?
    No. Sometimes after two or three years they’re let go – but it really does depend on whether they’ve been given a real chance and have had a chance to succeed on a team. In some places, players just don’t get an opportunity, so they may have to be traded to give them another chance to play. MLS wants to ensure that players have an opportunity. Mistakes are made, however, and sometimes it is in the player’s best interest to seek employment outside the league.

If it’s a four-year contract, how can it be rescinded within four years?
    It’s not necessarily a four-year contract. In some cases, players may sign a four-year contract but it’s often two guaranteed years plus two option years. Or, it’s three guaranteed years plus two option years, so it may turn out to be five-year deal. Each contract is different and there is no set contract for each player.

Who determines when they graduate?

Usually the player himself will determine that, based on how much he plays. If he turns into a regular starter by the end of his first year, more than likely he’s going to graduate. In some cases he may not, but once you’re established in your team, then you’re more than likely going to graduate.
    http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/ussoc...on-adidas.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    so out of curiosity, how much salary cap space and allocation do we have left?
    If there's anything I have learned watching this league - there is no answer to that question...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I just can't see how it's good for the club to keep getting then shedding players around a constantly shifting playing style.

It's completely ridiculous and insane...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachTory View Post
    McKenna !!!!

Fits the cdn intl return and devos was tweeting about it as possible
    would be a good fit
    arrrrgggg we have tried wasting money on a Canadian DP and where did that get us. If this club wastes another DP on an aging Canadian player just because of the fact that they are Canadian it just goes to show you how absolutely braindead our football organization is. People have to step away from the "if they are Canadian they will destroy this league if they have DP status" mentality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 117 View Post
    I'm not overly familiar with specifics of MLS roster rules, but I would expect that the new DP is coming in this transfer window and not the next.

If we traded JDG to "free up a DP slot", then that would only be advantageous to us at this point, since he was off the books at the end of the season anyhow.

I agree.

And if they don't sign another DP (or two good MLS players) they will have egg on their face because they wasted money in moving JDG for nothing when come end of season they were free of his contract for nothing.

I'd say expect a DP or two or more MLS players at about $120,000 + each.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    It's completely ridiculous and insane...
    So, you think we should have hept JDG and his massive albatross of a cap hit for the rest of the season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    arrrrgggg we have tried wasting money on a Canadian DP and where did that get us. If this club wastes another DP on an aging Canadian player just because of the fact that they are Canadian it just goes to show you how absolutely braindead our football organization is. People have to step away from the "if they are Canadian they will destroy this league if they have DP status" mentality.
    so, uh .... what ya got against canadians??? we also wasted money on a spanish DP, so should we avoid all spaniards from now on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    so, uh .... what ya got against canadians??? we also wasted money on a spanish DP, so should we avoid all spaniards from now on?
    there's nothing wrong with signing a Canadian DP if he's the best available. The problem is that Mckenna's being targeted because he's Canadian, not becuase he's the best CB available

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so Mariner clarified in his conference call that Dallas is taking the full cap hit for JDG and Wiedeman is still GA for this year so net result is +167,500. He also said that he's looking at bringing in more than 1 defender and that 1 of them looks to be filling the DP role. We must also have some cap space left then prior to this trade. Plata's loan and Soolsma departure get's us a tiny bit back(25k + 55k respectively). Next up, Aceval's jucy 99k cut I'd hope. This will give us a good chunk of change to get 2 decent players.

We could potentially be looking at 300k in allocation for 2 players! (I used half season rates for everything)

Let's see what they can do in Toronto Football Club the sequ...part thre....fo...fi...six, yes part six that's it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless MLS has changed its rules, there is no cap relief for loaning out a player. Just a roster spot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little confused. I thought this thread was about the trade. Not much said about the new guy Wiedeman, seems to me the focus should be placed on him, not the bum we finally got rid of. Could he be as good as the manager says "one of the best young finishers of the modern era" Yikes. I see this as a good move since the team needs to build up, using young players, and not rely on aging players who look good one game, and then need to spend a day in the whirlpool to rest their bones or they are useless......average age of the starters has to get lower or the future is more of the past

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so there are strict rules about only DP moves getting their own threads.

Are there strict rules about ensuring that every thread doesn't end up off topic in a Winter/Mariner/hoofball/4-3-3/4-4-2 tornado?

Cause, its getting REALLY difficult on here to actually be able to focus on the details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Little confused. I thought this thread was about the trade. Not much said about the new guy Wiedeman, seems to me the focus should be placed on him, not the bum we finally got rid of. Could he be as good as the manager says "one of the best young finishers of the modern era" Yikes. I see this as a good move since the team needs to build up, using young players, and not rely on aging players who look good one game, and then need to spend a day in the whirlpool to rest their bones or they are useless......average age of the starters has to get lower or the future is more of the past
    I'm Batman, and I support this message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably because there's not much to say about him. No one really seems to know much about him, and the couple of sentences he did get in the trade announcement made him sound like a bench warmer.

So, given that this seemed to be a strictly salary dump move anyway, I'm sure were lucky that we got something more than a tube of toothpaste in return.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is nothing ot say about him,he played in 7 games last year very limited minutes and 0 games this year.

We got bench warmer and not some 23 years old miracle striker for JDG
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK boys,I cleaned this thread from all off topic posts 70+ of them,keep this one on JDG topic.

All off topic posts are moved to Rate Mariner thread.

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?32212-Rate-Mariner-June-2012

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There have been lots of DP busts. The Mexican striker in Dallas (can't even remmeber his name, Lothar Matthaus before they even called it a DP, two different south Americans at DC united (can't remember either's name now. Getting old.)
    Busts
    -Rafa Marquez (NY)
    -Freddy Adu (Phi)
    -Luciano Emilio (DC). awesome before DP, bust as DP
    -Claudio Reyna (NY)
    -Marcelo Gallardo (DC)
    -Claudio Lopez (KC)
    -Luis Angel Landin (Hou)
    -Branko Boskovic (DC)
    -Mista (TFC)
    -Nery Castillo (Chi)
    -Geovanni (SJ)
    -Mustapha Jarju (Van)
    -Milton Caraglio (NE)
    -Jeferson (KC)
    -
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ STAY ON TOPIC,Please !!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This dilemma is simple:
    Either the Dallas coach is an idiot, because didn't find this guy of any MLS value, either Mariner is an idiot considering this guy what was quoted above, lol...
    Last edited by LesH; 07-13-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Unless MLS has changed its rules, there is no cap relief for loaning out a player. Just a roster spot.
    Dont you know by now the rules change as we go?

Joao Plata will get a chance to continue his development as a player, and Toronto FC will get some roster and cap space for this season.
    http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/...ster-plata-did

I also wonder if the way a player leaves impacts the cap. The rules state players waved after July 1 will continue to have their salary counted towards the cap BUT if the team and the player mutually consent to rip up the contract then Maybe we get the cap relief for the remaining unpaid portion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the interview on Dallas's site with JDG and their coach. No one seemed overly enthused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm excited to see what Wiedeman can do. I know everybody is beyond pessimistic around here but for once let's not write him off as a useless bench warmer just yet. You never know... I'm certainly not gonna write off a striker based on wikipedia stats especially when Dallas made him play as a right back ffs.
    Last edited by Brooker; 07-14-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

getting jdg off the payroll as WELL as a useful, warm bodied up-front option is a win win for tfc.
    i dont see any negative with this move. .

we are also free to bring in another DP . .

not sure why all the doom mongers on here cant see the bright side to this. . . .
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    getting jdg off the payroll as WELL as a useful, warm bodied up-front option is a win win for tfc.
    i dont see any negative with this move. .

we are also free to bring in another DP . .

not sure why all the doom mongers on here cant see the bright side to this. . . .
    I'm going to make a sweeping generalization here and say that the "doom mongers" *can* see the bright side to this trade...they just have no faith that TFC FO *can* see the bright side or has no plan on how to get us to a good place.

That's where I am, at least.