Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soolsma is also the one I don't think we saw coming. Is it possible he asked to be released? Perhaps he didn't want to stick around after Winter left?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    As for the McKenna rumour, anyone who wouldn't want him is absolutely mad. He's a leader (and will be playing with Morgan/Henry at Canada camps, so cohesion will exist), a workhorse, a massive threat offensively as he has pro experience as a mid/striker as well, and a massive reason why Canada hasn't given up a goal in a competitive match in almost a bloody year.
    Well I guess you can color me crazy, because depending on what the terms of the deal are, I might not be all that happy. I can tell you that even if TFC picks him up, they will still need another quality CB to stand next to him, because he can't do it all himself. I also think that it's a poor use of the DP slot, unless we're going to front load a deal and pay him less next year.

He's great in the air and won't be pushed around. But his distribution is pretty bad and he's not the quickest. I hope nobody has over-sized expectations of him being our savior.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So McKenna is the next saviour to quickly find out how Joan of Arc felt?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree 100%. Soolsma is more of a loss than JDG pr Plata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    So McKenna is the next saviour to quickly find out how Joan of Arc felt?
    If McKenna signed and played as well as Serioux before the injuries he would be a saviour. We still need that DP slot for someone else though.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry off topic...Reading people talk about Soolsma sounds like Leaf fans. Soolsma leaves and he is looked back on like he was a top player in the league. He was just a guy, nothing more. He wasn't a piece to the puzzle, he would have been a nice to have if TFC was already a good club with quality players. No disrespect to Soolsma he did well, seemed to work hard and scored 1 big goal but I am puzzled how people think losing him is a big loss.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    I'm trying my best, and figuring things out on the job, but I stand by what I wrote.
    All we did last night was confirm that there was rumours of JDG leaving (which happened) and that TFC was interested in Kevin McKenna, something that was only a rumour on message boards before.

As for the title, perhaps a question mark at the end would have made things clearer. However, what I reported on, I'm comfortable with.

As always, I'll keep you updated when I hear more.
    What you reported was fine, how you headlined it was a bit off. Anyway, I am offering constructive criticism because I would like to see you succeed. You do your best and you often do a good job, but I do think you sometimes get caught up in the adrenaline and hype of a story. And yes, a question mark at the end of the title would have made a world of difference. As a journalist, I'm sure you know the power of correct use of punctuation.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holy fuck, I went to the last page of this thread from page six expecting to see the most current discussion about the trade. I then had to check the top to see if I was even still in the JDG trade thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Now that it's official, I'm anxiously waiting for the other shoe(s) to drop. It's time for Mariner to show his mettle as a wheeler and dealer.

Outgoing - Plata, Soolsma, JDG

Incoming - Wiedeman, CAP ROOM, DP SPOT

Not even close to good enough. We'll see what transpires during the rest of the transfer window.
    Fixed your post. When you consider this and the fact that Plata is still our property it looks much, much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not overly familiar with specifics of MLS roster rules, but I would expect that the new DP is coming in this transfer window and not the next.

If we traded JDG to "free up a DP slot", then that would only be advantageous to us at this point, since he was off the books at the end of the season anyhow.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Transfer window opens on Sunday correct? July 15th?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Transfer window opens on Sunday correct? July 15th?
    I thought it was already open? June 30th or July 1st, no? Otherwise how is Montreal signing Nesta and company already?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaBandit View Post
    I thought it was already open? June 30th or July 1st, no? Otherwise how is Montreal signing Nesta and company already?
    MLS secondary registration window is June 27th-July 27th according to their website.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaBandit View Post
    It has to be open already if JDG was traded!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Denilson is widely considered the absolute worst of all time (I'd agree). The other two who are usually in the mix are JDG and Mista. Two of the worst DPs for the "worst team in the world."
    There have been lots of DP busts. The Mexican striker in Dallas (can't even remmeber his name, Lothar Matthaus before they even called it a DP, two different south Americans at DC united (can't remember either's name now. Getting old.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    It has to be open already if JDG was traded!
    It's different for trades within MLS compared to external signings.

For players who are subject to the window and are under contract playing club football elsewhere, both the MLS and FIFA windows need to be open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There have been lots of DP busts. The Mexican striker in Dallas (can't even remmeber his name, Lothar Matthaus before they even called it a DP, two different south Americans at DC united (can't remember either's name now. Getting old.)
    Let's not forget Jarju. At least Mista scored once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    MLS secondary registration window is June 27th-July 27th according to their website.
    thx, so is there any significance to the July 15th date that Jabbronies mentioned above?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Let's not forget Jarju. At least Mista scored once.
    LOL, true! Claudio Reyna at NY was a huge bust, too, gone after two-thirds of a season to retirement, if I recall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any news about Wiedeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    I like when you throw in how complex was his system,FFS 10 years old kids playing it today in NA,it is pass and move system,movement of the ball.

I do understand that for that system you must have PROFESSIONAL players that can PASS and MOVE.

Formation is 433 point to the back what ends up a 4-1-2-3,or in some games Winter played 3-4-3.

Like I wrote 10 year old kids can do it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DThjb...layer_embedded
    WOW just wow.. I just watched a bit of the link you put up and am amazed how well some of those kids can play.. I just witnessed more consecutive passes by 10 years old then i have seen our guys put together in quite a long time..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guys.. did TFC eat a bunch of JDG's salary in this trade? I haven't seen that clarified anywhere. Anyone know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See Ya.. I won't miss you one bit....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    Any news about Wiedeman

Ya hear he was trade to Toronto for a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah what a trade, traded deguz for a 22 year old who made 5 appearances, 4 of them as a sub, and played a total of 117 minutes this season. Very impressive. ffs i rather we just signed Omari Morris who use to be part of the academy but hey why not a flop?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    guys.. did TFC eat a bunch of salary in this trade? I haven't seen that clarified anywhere. Anyone know?
    Tough to say. The way Dallas' business is structured, writing off another $1.8 million against the team's losses -- as they're a smaller component of a larger entertainment company -- might not be such a huge loss.

More likely TFC is eating the remainder of the DP portion and Dallas is pickingup the cap hit.

I don't think this will get confirmed by named sources, so I'd take anything with a grain of salt. The reporting these days on soccer in Toronto isn't what I'd call sterling stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner stating that Dallas is assuming the full cap hit for JDG so that is good. I guess we are just picking up some salary so who cares? Not my money.

Also in regards to the MLS teams using the 4-3-3, yes lots do but most have more in common with hideously ugly football than the total football concept. Watch a few KC matches and see how they use the long ball and constant pressure as their game plan. Remember we used the 4-3-3 with Cummins and we had a whole boat load of inept players prancing around out there at the time. That wasn't exactly pleasing football either. Formation has fuck all to do with the brand of football being played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you rather carry a bloated salary and take up a DP slot for the remainder of the season, Chop?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Mariner stating that Dallas is assuming the full cap hit for JDG so that is good. I guess we are just picking up some salary so who cares? Not my money.

Also in regards to the MLS teams using the 4-3-3, yes lots do but most have more in common with hideously ugly football than the total football concept. Watch a few KC matches and see how they use the long ball and constant pressure as their game plan. Remember we used the 4-3-3 with Cummins and we had a whole boat load of inept players prancing around out there at the time. That wasn't exactly pleasing football either. Formation has fuck all to do with the brand of football being played.
    Exactly.