Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default McBride deal about to come down....

....it mentions lower down in Goff's US Olympic entry.

"McBride had been widely expected to be named, but issues had to be resolved recently with MLS, and particularly the Chicago Fire, where he will likely end up in the coming days after leaving Fulham. Chicago was apprehensive about acquiring him and then losing him for Olympic duty. However, a deal has apparently been reached."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...-tor.html#more

Further news.
    Whos side will they step in on?
    (im guessing Chicago to be honest)...

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, this was a big fear of mine. No allocation & drafts picks this time please! Screw Chicago, if they want him, they need to give us something worthwhile.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There has always been a danger here that Mo is overplaying his hand

Whatever he got for Huckerby, that's likely to be what the league imposes here

please don't cyberpelt me with tomatoes....but I understand the position of McBride and the Fire here - a 35 year old out-of-contract is a free agent in any sport, in any league, in the world, except MLS. The fact that we're getting anything is a function of MLS' screwy cap and allocation rules, many of which need to change for the benefit of all.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-16-2008 at 04:38 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fuck the MLS. If they step in on this it will be the biggest farce in sports. They make the rules and then bend them for their "special cases"?

Fuck that.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Fuck the MLS. If they step in on this it will be the biggest farce in sports. They make the rules and then bend them for their "special cases"?

Fuck that.
    You seem surprised by this Jack.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they are bending these rules the league really has to investigate its ethics and credibility.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLS steps in I wonder if they will do it after the allstar game. If TFC gets screwed in the deal and it happens prior to the all star game, the all star game may not be pretty lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck that.
    QFT.

Either stick to your rules or scrap em entirely. pick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge_Red View Post
    They are legendary at bending the rules. Only thing we have going for us is we arent putas about it and will make a stink they wont soon forget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling we'll get screwed on this.

If the MLS want to broker the deal, the should step in and force Chicago to give us Rolfe , Mapp or Barret, whether they want to or not. We should be getting screwed on it.

However, the MLS is going to want McBride to be on a successful team, they'll want McBride in the playoffs, so I'm doubting they'll do anything that will weaken Chicago. What a joke of a league.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge_Red View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S_D View Post
    If MLS steps in I wonder if they will do it after the allstar game. If TFC gets screwed in the deal and it happens prior to the all star game, the all star game may not be pretty lol
    I think the protest will certainly have some new-found vigour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i so hope that the silly things MLS does when they want a player in a certain place is a thing of the past otherwise the all star protest will take a whole new meaning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think TFC will get screwed. I am betting we will get Mapp.

Rolfe as a forward is hard to replace and since Carr is out, the fire will need to keep the depth at the forward position, and they have a number of defenders retiring so Conde may be in their future plans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, we have to get something significant or else what's the fuckin point of a "returning national player allocation system"? The thing is designed to give the worst teams a crack at these guys, not the best teams.

If the offer is weak (not Mapp, conde, or Rolfe) it's in TFC's best interest to just forget about it and let McBride go to Seattle when the allocations change in the off season.
    Because the gain of McBride will exceed allocations/draft picks and then TFC just strengthened a rival.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another Option

I agree with most on this thread, but here's another option....

Considering the misses on Dickov, Sukur, Huckerby, etc... maybe Mo will go out and offer McBride our DP slot. I know he wants to be in the U.S. but dollars can change one's mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it would be worth it just to see the fire fans heads explode on BS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like this may come to a head before the AllStar game ....

"--An MLS team source said his understanding is that the league might intervene on Brian McBride's behalf in order to get him to Chicago this year. Word is that will happen if an agreement between Toronto and Chicago cannot be reached before the Olympic team convenes on Saturday. Sounds to me like McBride will play in the Olympics and has a desire to play in Chicago for what remains of this season."

http://blog.dispatch.com/crew/

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the protest will certainly have some new-found vigour.
    Now THAT I can get behind for a protest... Fuck the MLS if their gonna get bitch like this.
    M.U.F.C.U.M GAMBA OSAKA Toronto FC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britchat View Post
    Now THAT I can get behind for a protest... Fuck the MLS if their gonna get bitch like this.
    Until they place sanctions on the club for the actions of their supporters...

To be quite honest (as a TFC supporter), if I had to choose between getting nothing for him, and having Chicago wait until next season, versus having MLS broker a deal, I'd choose the latter. Of course, that COULD be a false choice - we really don't know how badly Chicago REALLY want McBride.

That said, on an objective level, I really wish MLS would stay out of it. Toronto are abiding by their rules. If the rules are screwy, then change them in the offseason, don't just bend them willy-nilly on a case-by-case basis mid-season.

If MLS want to be treated like a bonafide "league", then start acting like one. I think it's funny that NHL clarifying the whole "goalie screening rule" during the playoffs this season was considered an outrage, but MLS breaking their own rules is not only normal - it's INEVITABLE!

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The league might try and act as a mediator but I doubt they'll pull anything too shady. I can't see Mo quietly looking the other way if we get slighted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the precident has been set. when LA wanted Donovan, they had to drop Ruiz. Shitcago want McBride, who is miles better than any of their current strikers, then they have to give up quality in return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Until they place sanctions on the club for the actions of their supporters...
    what? deduct points from the team because the toronto supporters are vocal in their disagreement with MLS policies? Fine them because their supporters cheered for West Ham instead of the All Stars?

Shake your head, Shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    If MLS want to be treated like a bonafide "league", then start acting like one.
    - Scott
    If they did they would drop the returning player allocation, and everything associated with it and free players to negotiate with the clubs directly instead of forcing them to sign for the single entity league. They would stop rewarding teams for doing badly, and provide a few incentives for teams to actually win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that if we don't get a deal done this season, apparently Seattle gets his rights for next season. In that case, we will end up with nothing. And with McBride going to the Olympics, maybe the Fire FO feels as if they wouldn't really benefit from his presence this season, thus they have some leverage on us. I really think that Mo should get something done before the league gets involved. I have no doubt in my mind that if someone gets screwed, it will be us.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The problem is that if we don't get a deal done this season, apparently Seattle gets his rights for next season. In that case, we will end up with nothing. And with McBride going to the Olympics, maybe the Fire FO feels as if they wouldn't really benefit from his presence this season, thus they have some leverage on us. I really think that Mo should get something done before the league gets involved. I have no doubt in my mind that if someone gets screwed, it will be us.
    My feeling is, don't give our division rival a top striker without taking some strong element from their team.

I mean, we have his rights, he won't sign with us, but we shouldn't just take any old thing for them so the team that's just above us in the standings can get stronger without losing anything off their roster.

If we lose his rights, we're still the same, whereas if he goes to Chicago for some allocation or something, they might knock us out of the playoffs on a McBride header in the 91st minute or some shit like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they have no leverage over us whatsoever. even after the olympics are done the fire still have to play at least 8 games and will be battling for a playoff spot. they will need mcbride big time.

but like jack says we need to take something substantial from them. if we don't then wait out the season and let him go to seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I kinda agree with you guys. Personally I'm tired of getting allocation money and the likes. It's about time that we actually start signing or trading for guys rather than allocation money to sign players at a later date. The unfortunate thing is that Chicago seems to rate all their players very highly where as I think that none of them are worth what McBride is worth. Seriously, McBride (a Prem regular) for Rolfe or someone is just ridiculous, yet Chicago isn't even willing to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I kinda agree with you guys. Personally I'm tired of getting allocation money and the likes. It's about time that we actually start signing or trading for guys rather than allocation money to sign players at a later date. The unfortunate thing is that Chicago seems to rate all their players very highly where as I think that none of them are worth what McBride is worth. Seriously, McBride (a Prem regular) for Rolfe or someone is just ridiculous, yet Chicago isn't even willing to do that.
    This is what I find so shocking... especially with Nyarko up and coming. Give us Rolfe or Mapp and go back to the draft for christ sakes. Mo stated again that he is looking at 1 player tonight on Extra Time.

He also mentioned that there is 1 senior player on a non-guaranteed contract thru September 31st (*cough* Cunny *cough*) that we can release to make room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We dont actually 'have' Mcbride, whilst they actually 'have' Rolfe.

So Rolfe, for someone that we don't actually have, and can't get for ourself, is reasonable when you think about it.

The question is, does getting Rolfe for ourself, outweigh the cost of giving Chicago McBride?

I say yes, McBride wont last too long, but Rolfe will be tradeable for years to come.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S_D View Post
    it would be worth it just to see the fire fans heads explode on BS
    Pray tell, is it like popcorn exploding?