http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-rough-stretch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Welcome to the TFC road Timbers' fans

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-rough-stretch
    This is a stupid move, the team basically downgraded for a GM hungry to show he is in control and he can outcoach the previous coach. Its baffling how a team is suppose to get better with the same players as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    This is a stupid move, the team basically downgraded for a GM hungry to show he is in control and he can outcoach the previous coach. Its baffling how a team is suppose to get better with the same players as well.
    a GM that had his hand in all the player aquisitions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Day in the Life of a PDX Sports Fan, sounds very familiar, but i guess we are still not like Portland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I strongly believe any coach needs an adequate runway to be properly evaluated and that too many owners make coaching changes hastily," Paulson said, (Timbers Owner)

....hmmmmmm, he wouldn't be referring to ML$E would he?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robbo is supposedly one of the top candidates to take over ... Hmmmm

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...s-portland-job
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a GM that had his hand in all the player aquisitions
    So do we have it wrong and have the entire set up mixed up and we should have two different people to perform the Director of Football activities and head coaching duties. Would it have made sense to hire Winter as the Director, Mariner as the head coach, and Bob DeKlerk as a academy head?

If thats the case I think it wouldnt be a bad idea to keep DeKlerk in the academy and keep Mariner as the head coach, because clearly he doesnt have time to be a rampaging maniac and a director of football.

This would mean that the team only needs a Director of Football to hire within the next month and we might see some transfer coming in before the deadline. I'm implying we need a DOF that has scouting connections.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Robbo is supposedly one of the top candidates to take over ... Hmmmm

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...s-portland-job
    Simon Borg is an idiot

So do we have it wrong and have the entire set up mixed up and we should have two different people to perform the Director of Football activities and head coaching duties. Would it have made sense to hire Winter as the Director, Mariner as the head coach, and Bob DeKlerk as a academy head?

If thats the case I think it wouldnt be a bad idea to keep DeKlerk in the academy and keep Mariner as the head coach, because clearly he doesnt have time to be a rampaging maniac and a director of football.

This would mean that the team only needs a Director of Football to hire within the next month and we might see some transfer coming in before the deadline. I'm implying we need a DOF that has scouting connections.
    do fergie or mancini have directors of football?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should have one proper manager like most European football clubs. Not one person for player acquisition and another for head coach. That's what we have now, and it isn't working.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    We should have one proper manager like most European football clubs. Not one person for player acquisition and another for head coach. That's what we have now, and it isn't working.
    It works if both the player director and the manager share same philosophy about the team. See Tottenham before Redknapp got fired
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can i make the suggestion that maybe we should have Steve Nichols as the Director of football and Paul Mariner as the head coach? Its basically begging to get done.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can i make the suggestion that maybe we should have Steve Nichols as the Director of football and Paul Mariner as the head coach? Its basically begging to get done.
    Stop making sense! I thought it was the business plan to run the team into the ground without installing good people into proper roles. Accountability and direction are things TFC need. I am getting tired of hearing the suppressed comments from our dismissed managers. A move like this would be a very positive sign IMO.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do fergie or mancini have directors of football?
    I know this comes as a shock to some people, but football exists beyond England. Just b/c there's a couple of guys in England who have long succesful runs as dictators (well really just 2 - baconface and Wenger) doesnt mean it's standard operating procedure.

The DOF is pretty much the standard in France/Germany/Spain/Italy

A 1 man operation in MLS is even more of a stretch when you have all the salary cap and bullshit rules/regulations that also need to be considered. At the very least you need a numbers guy/capologist working with you but really you need a team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its redknapp who said you need a director of football bc football is too complicated nowadays. Dealing w paperwork and agents and scouting. Makes total sense