Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, not only did Dunfield "work hard" yesterday, he also scored a great header! And I thought he was pretty neat and tidy all game, fine passing, good closing down! Good game form the guy, really!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

The "hard work" people praise at times is ridiculous. It's like we're applauding people driving around in cars with square wheels. Work is hard when you make it that way.

Kid A: works hard in practice, develops actual skill, and becomes a star. Instant leper with all the parents for being too good. "Why isn't he more of a team player?"

Kid B: doesn't work hard to develop skill in practice, clearly shows on the field when he's a step slow at everything, but goddammit does he hustle. Look at that exertion of effort to cover his own mistakes. Instant hero.

And this is why athletics in this country is fucked.
    You my friend are 100 % correct.

While rest of the world follows "WORK SMART NOT HARD" here is total opposite.
    Run hard like headless chicken and you will be awarded,why? because people that admire your endless running have no clue about the game in the first place.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahaha....so true.....

case and point (and away from soccer as well just to show the scope of this, and relevant to Toronto) is Mats Sundin..........ripped to shreds how many time in Toronto by fans and media because he wasn't the "rah rah" guy??........and now a first ballot Hall of Famer......the biggest laugh in all the criticism for Sundin to "not be able to get it done"......seeing Tie Domi as his winger on the PP........

and then there's the story of a man named DeRo...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Well, not only did Dunfield "work hard" yesterday, he also scored a great header! And I thought he was pretty neat and tidy all game, fine passing, good closing down! Good game form the guy, really!
    He had a decent game yesterday, I'll admit that. But I object to continually putting him in the starting lineup, he can't match up to his opposite number and leaves us at a disadvantage more often than not.

Not so sure about that "fine passing" though. He looks like a lost child with the ball. He literally stares at his feet, panics, looks for the first person he can find, and throws the ball towards them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had a decent game yesterday, I'll admit that. But I object to continually putting him in the starting lineup, he can't match up to his opposite number and leaves us at a disadvantage more often than not.

Not so sure about that "fine passing" though. He looks like a lost child with the ball. He literally stares at his feet, panics, looks for the first person he can find, and throws the ball towards them.
    I wish I sat next to you at BMO, we would have an interesting time commentating Dunfield! The guys around me keep saying "good pass" and "well done" to Dunfield! haha, I guess we all see the game differently!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I sat next to you at BMO, we would have an interesting time commentating Dunfield! The guys around me keep saying "good pass" and "well done" to Dunfield! haha, I guess we all see the game differently!
    They should stop and before/during the game.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunfield is actually a decent passer. Ive seen him make some really good and difficult passes. But lacks composure when under even littlest pressure and fumbles around more than a virgin altar boy trying to figure what to do with a girl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    They should stop and before/during the game.
    Until recently, and have been the most enjoyable parts of attending most matches at BMO Field over the last couple of years. Our record at home was absolutely embarassing during that time span. Hopefully, that will continue to imrove under the tutelage of Paul Mariner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, awesome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never get tired of seeing TFC beat Vancouver. lol @vancouver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontofc View Post
    reposted this pic. i cannot keep myself from grinning every time i see it. thats a picture of true happiness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    How in the fuck is BMO that empty? Has it ever been that empty, aside from CCL group stage or something?
    Didn't seem that empty as it filled up. King streetcar was a disaster, as is Queen and Spadina with the construction. There was some incident on the Harbourfront streetcar with something in the tunnel. Traffic was horrific. Very early start. It was certainly much emptier at kick-off than later in the game. I've never seen so many people with tickets in hands, trying to find their seats, at the 45th minute.
    Last edited by nfitz; 07-12-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    Being the biggest dick off the field is due to the numerous times I have met him away from the pitch. I have never went out of my way to single any player out, but when as fan a player has constant attitude problem and comes off as dick yeah he is one. On that note I have the joy of meeting many of the players off the pitch and 99% of them at least show that they give a fuck and not try and blow a person offf and he has.

On to the generalization of all heart and no skill players explain why certain players are held dearly by Toronto fans in every sport. I will give you examples: Tie Domi, Dan Gargan, Terry Dunfield Jerome Williams. All professionals not very skilled but beloved in this city cause of there blue collar work ethic. They are more reveared then the most skilled players why I have no idea. Dunfield would not start on any other team in the MLS period. anyone who thinks he can I would like to know what team.

Oh by the way go fuck yourself and you know what maybe part of the problem with TFC is people like you don't hold the players or the FO responsible. Go be a fucking cheerleader and a sheep cause if you want to settle for this crap you call a football team.

By the way you know what section I am in if you want have this conversation to my face and call me out by all means I am there every game calling it like i see it.
    Well thank you Mr. Ad Hominem. More malicious and absurd personal attacks, nice.

Mariner chooses to play Dunfield and for this you hold Dunfield personally responsible, and you scream absurd obscenities at him during a home game. Yes, I think everyone can see how you are part of the solution. Job well done. Way to hold the players and the FO responsible. Slow clap for you.

Look, every city has those players that are held dear for one reason or another. It ain't a TO thing, but you think it is, whatever. You don't get that it still takes some skill to achieve a pro career, that 'no skill' Dunfield magically became a pro player in england and canada, whatever. You don't get that limited skill can be be compensated to a degree by hard work or mental prep or game smarts, whatever. You don't get that a highly skilled player can be a liability to a team because he isn't game smart or doesn't work hard enough or has a bad attitude, whatever. So, Terry's hard work on the pitch does not indicate to you that he gives a fuck? But, you've met Terry off the pitch and he blew you off. Based on your irrational commentary and sour attitude here, it's not surprising.

Have a nice day.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://wap.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/...on%20inspiring

J mo article on dunfield. Whether you hate him or not, you gotta love his passion for the game

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    This is my feeling too.

We'd be much further ahead as supporters if we didn't think of this as a Mariner v Winter debate. Not many, myself included, would stand up and say we should have Winter back. In fact, most of felt that as long as Anselmi went first, Winter could follow him.

The issue isn't Mariner v Winter. It's Future v Past. Consider this:

- we play in the United States Development League

- the United States Development League feeds the United States Men's National Program

- the United States Men's National Program has decided that under Jurgen Klinsmann they will adopt a 4-3-3, attacking style of football

- therefore, the United States Development Program which works in partnership with the United States Development League (or Major League Soccer as you might know it) will have each and every Academy producing technically sound, 4-3-3 capable players

- Teams are making the jump to play 4-3-3 football. One team, SKC, after a few years of pain, leads the Eastern table

- attacking football kicks the ass of traditional football time and time again

We too had advice from Klinsmann. We thought about 4-3-3 football. We brought in Ajax experienced football men to implement it.

- but we also kept cushy jobs for former friends, allies and CSA friendly types.

- it was a bit of mess. Who was signing who? Words put in people's ears. You know, the same infighting that Anselmi has allowed to fester forever

- MLSE wasn't happy with short term results. So they wanted to make a change

- Did they seek out a replacement 4-3-3 minded individual? No

- They went back to an old English style which has obviously brought England all kinds of International success (sarcasm) but like the NHL trap, can ensure that you might win a few and not get blown out in the process

- Did they think that by making this change in vision they could make the playoffs? No. Not even the new coach is talking about playoffs

- So why did they make the change? So that you and I would think that 10 of 24 points is a sign of improvement and we would renew our tickets.

- oh and we still don't scout much at all in the United States, where these new technically sound players are going to be coming from.

- We have pushed one of the Ajax men out of the club entirely. Let's see what the offseason brings for BDK and TR

All the while ignoring the massive movement in the United States to develop players and systems that support 4-3-3. While more and more teams are getting on that bus, we are going back to the horse and buggy.

That my friends is the most concerning thing in all of this.
    well thought out......I'm feelin mlse really don't give a S%%t....they'll do what ever they want, forever as long as they like.....either as a write -off or profit maker,...it's very minor to them! They only want team players....thats what is eating us all....get it people we really are zilch to them,....they have NO love of the game,....thats all it takes is a FO with a love for the game,...then we go from there.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It was an entertaining game thats for sure. Big Thanks to __WOWZA, CODE RED, Stouffville_RPB, and anyone else that helped me get chants going. It means a lot to know you guys had my back. also thanks to wowza for the water, My vocal chords thank thee. Capoing has grown on me and I love doing it, Its such an awesome feeling, even if others are heckling you. also a big thanks to the drummers you guys helped a lot too.

Cheers

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "hard work" people praise at times is ridiculous. It's like we're applauding people driving around in cars with square wheels. Work is hard when you make it that way.

Kid A: works hard in practice, develops actual skill, and becomes a star. Instant leper with all the parents for being too good. "Why isn't he more of a team player?"

Kid B: doesn't work hard to develop skill in practice, clearly shows on the field when he's a step slow at everything, but goddammit does he hustle. Look at that exertion of effort to cover his own mistakes. Instant hero.

And this is why athletics in this country is fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    Err him not switching Ecks and Henry gave Vancouver 2 goals.... Yes yes Emory Was a big problem as well but the whole defensive shape could've been different if he made a switch.

100% agree. I honestly think this "hard work" thing really blinds people in this city. Not saying everyone here, but if someone sees a player running like an headless chicken, he's all of a sudden the team fav simply because he runs and has "heart"

I don't agree. He looks down and runs straight. I saw him running into 2-3 players last night based on one of his random runs right in the middle of the pitch and obviously lost possession. He has no end product ( explains his 1 assist in a year and a half of playing here ) and is caught out of position to many times. This is my opinion.
    It's all relative guys. Here we've been exposed to a skill level in NA that will show 2 different factors that will hold a player back = a tendency to overwork or show a laziness. Both need to be improved upon, both hold back a player and a team but "workmanship" will always be in higher esteem than embellishment. They aren't exclusive to one another in a player. One can find both elements in a player but I think it's inherent in viewers to instinctually sort players into these two extremes to start.

I agree that Dunfield works so much harder than he has to but to compare him to the only player I think overworks more in Eckersly, Richard blows his ginger top after too many plays, challenges. I wish he could stay in his favoured position calm his game down some.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER