Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no fan of Dunfield but yesterday he had a good game, there was one no-look pass in the midfield he made across to open things up through traffic and I was like, wow he can make a good pass. He is like Harden was under Winter at the end of last season, playing solid minutes. Of course he's just a plug, but the man is playing hard and actually effective right now. For that I won't trash talk him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Results are the bottom line, and in relative terms Mariner is getting them. But I like so many am a bit two minded about the game. Allowing two goals at home is not a good thing. We won but we just won.

I am starting to think that mariner may also be a bit infelxible as to formations, too early for me conclude that but I am building that suspision, ussing JDG as an out and out winger, is a bit strange, ussing Dunfield, Frings, JDG, and Silva is a good choice, but as I have been saying a 4-3-1-2 seems like the natural choice, Dunfield-Frings-JDG, with Silva just infront. I would think that it would be more solid defensively and would make more sense going forward. Having said that the players seem to be more in sink playing a 4-4-2 ( regardless of what premutation of the formation is used).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    For everyone calling me out as I was the one who was ripping on Dunfield during the game in section 117. I pay for my tickets and if I want I can boo the team, rip on a player or whatever I want.

Dunfield is shit he is all heart and no skill. I guess that is why people think he is decent. This is the problem with Toronto fans they applaud heart and equate that to skill. I can't stand him I have told him to his face as he is the biggest dick I have ever met. He fucked up more times then I can count and because he scored a goal he is the second coming??? Come on man look at the body of his work the last year and if the supposed experts in soccer still think he is doing a good job need there head to be checked.
    LOL ... right, Toronto fans are in a class of their own in this world. Only Toronto fans get it all backwards. It's not your problem, it's all the rest of us, yeah?

Your commentary is completely ridiculous. The guy on the field who is "all heart and no skill" is therefore "the biggest dick [you've] ever met". Seriously? You don't make any sense. Talk about getting it all backwards. There is certainly an ongoing debate as to Dunfield's skill level (and if you are honest about it, you'd realize that it requires substantially more than none at all to achieve a pro career, at any level). But you might be the one and only person in this world who would maliciously tear the man down, question his character, and personally abuse him based on your assessment of his skill. Is this what your body of work looks like? Not very pretty. Shitting on your own team and making obtuse generalizations about those you disagree with. Wow. Not our problem, it's all yours. Go ahead, continue being "the biggest dick" in the stands, you paid for that right. Suck it 117.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    - therefore, the United States Development Program which works in partnership with the United States Development League (or Major League Soccer as you might know it) will have each and every Academy producing technically sound, 4-3-3 capable players
    4-3-3 ios far too ambitious for this league, this system under the salary cap, and the audience that keeps it afloat.
    I will say that KC has had a fantastic season, but its not because of the success of a formation.
    While I love the 4-3-3 as it makes for good watching, if the majority of the teams in MLS took it on, very very few would succeed.

TFC are playhing technically sound football, for the first time this season, Its not all thsnks to Mariner, but he has been around MLS, he knows what works and how to use what we have to grind out points.

If anything TFC, Impact and VCWC should keep doing what they are doing, creating a platform and audience to help the CSA. Fuck the americans.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Results are the bottom line, and in relative terms Mariner is getting them. But I like so many am a bit two minded about the game. Allowing two goals at home is not a good thing. We won but we just won.

I am starting to think that mariner may also be a bit infelxible as to formations, too early for me conclude that but I am building that suspision, ussing JDG as an out and out winger, is a bit strange, ussing Dunfield, Frings, JDG, and Silva is a good choice, but as I have been saying a 4-3-1-2 seems like the natural choice, Dunfield-Frings-JDG, with Silva just infront. I would think that it would be more solid defensively and would make more sense going forward. Having said that the players seem to be more in sink playing a 4-4-2 ( regardless of what premutation of the formation is used).
    Trane my friend I think you might be on to something. With the glut of DMs that we have in this lineup TFC could potentially play a similar formation that Italy did in EURO 2012. If memory serves me correctly it was shown as a 4-4-2 diamond but was rather narrow and thus played more like a 4-3-1-2 (at least this is how it seemed to play out in the Semi Finals), which you've pointed out would maximize the utility of the players we started last night.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    A note to TFC FO: Weeknight matches should start at 7:30 at the earliest. For those of us in the 905 region, it's almost impossible to make it for kickoff at 7:00 when you're stuck in gridlock at every turn.
    and for those of us in 519 region, 8pm weeknight games please! by the way, speaking of weeknight games .... long live wednesdays!

2012 TFC record (all competitions)
    Sat/Sundays 1W 2D 11L
    Wednesdays 5W 6D 1L

slap me, we are undefeated in MLS on wednesdays (2-2-0) LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    LOL ... right, Toronto fans are in a class of their own in this world. Only Toronto fans get it all backwards. It's not your problem, it's all the rest of us, yeah?

Your commentary is completely ridiculous. The guy on the field who is "all heart and no skill" is therefore "the biggest dick [you've] ever met". Seriously? You don't make any sense. Talk about getting it all backwards. There is certainly an ongoing debate as to Dunfield's skill level (and if you are honest about it, you'd realize that it requires substantially more than none at all to achieve a pro career, at any level). But you might be the one and only person in this world who would maliciously tear the man down, question his character, and personally abuse him based on your assessment of his skill. Is this what your body of work looks like? Not very pretty. Shitting on your own team and making obtuse generalizations about those you disagree with. Wow. Not our problem, it's all yours. Go ahead, continue being "the biggest dick" in the stands, you paid for that right. Suck it 117.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think some people on here are over-reacting a little to last night's game. We would have won that game 2-1 only for a piece of madness by our keeper in stoppage time. Most teams who were 1-0 down then tied 2-2 at 90 mins at home and actually ended up winning the game would be over the moon. Sure the football wasn't great, but it will take a while and quite a few transfers both in and out before we see changes in that regard. We fought to the end, and to all people spouting crap about effort not equating skill, and successful football can only be played 1 way. History proves that a lot of times the best team doesn't neccessarily win. Chelsea won Champions league- we all know their style of football was more substance over style. Man City weren't the best footballing side to watch in the EPL this season, Greece certainly weren't the best team to watch in Euro 2004.Sure we have gone from one extreme to the other, but at least we are getting some points. We have to deal with what we have, you aren't gonna get Barcelona style of football out of our current bunch. Maybe now we are actually getting some points and with that some confidence, we hopefully start to try and introduce a little more style to our play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Think some people on here are over-reacting a little to last night's game. We would have won that game 2-1 only for a piece of madness by our keeper in stoppage time. Most teams who were 1-0 down then tied 2-2 at 90 mins at home and actually ended up winning the game would be over the moon. Sure the football wasn't great, but it will take a while and quite a few transfers both in and out before we see changes in that regard. We fought to the end, and to all people spouting crap about effort not equating skill, and successful football can only be played 1 way. History proves that a lot of times the best team doesn't neccessarily win. Chelsea won Champions league- we all know their style of football was more substance over style. Man City weren't the best footballing side to watch in the EPL this season, Greece certainly weren't the best team to watch in Euro 2004.Sure we have gone from one extreme to the other, but at least we are getting some points. We have to deal with what we have, you aren't gonna get Barcelona style of football out of our current bunch. Maybe now we are actually getting some points and with that some confidence, we hopefully start to try and introduce a little more style to our play.
    We scored those two goals while Vancouver was down to 10 men. If anything, we should feel lucky Rennie made the mistake of not subbing out YP Lee. That's what killed them. Not sure we would have scored at all had that not happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to say, I watched Robson pretty closely last night, and was not impressed. He's not great. Was he signed to a DP contract? Bad use if he was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed on all points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our goalkeeper owes Mr. Dunfield many beers.
    Who is Wipeylee ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manchester City absolutely WAS one of the best footballing sides to watch this season. There's a reason why they scored the most goals in the EPL. And Chelsea were more substance over style? I don't even know what that means. There's a lot of substance in the current court drama if that's what you're talking about.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe now we are actually getting some points and with that some confidence, we hopefully start to try and introduce a little more style to our play.
    I think this highlights where the fear vs. hope is... that a little more style is what hopeful people like yourself are hoping for.... the rest of us are afraid that what we see (crude hoofball) is all we'll ever get. You'll have to pardon our cynicism, we've been badly burnt the last 6 long years.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    How in the fuck is BMO that empty? Has it ever been that empty, aside from CCL group stage or something?
    Some genius decided 7pm was a good time to start. Way too early for people to get to if they live out of the city and only 4pm in BC !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree it was a bad idea to start the game at 7:00 P.M. Needs to be 8:00 P.M. Hope it's the last time. I'm sure this will be discussed with Paul Beirne at next years Town Hall meetings. 8:00 P.M. games next season.

It's really TSN that decided to put the game at 7:00 P.M. because they had the ESPY awards at 9:00 P.M. Put the the ESPY awards on TSN 2.

Unfortunately, next week's game against Colorado Rapids is on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 7:00 P.M. - Sportsnet

http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule
    Last edited by moralis; 07-12-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got their at 730...its never about us the fans,they dont give a shit,and the 430 saturday starts suck also.
    saturday night games are the best .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should also note that while Darren Mattocks seems to be the archetypal overachieving sports dickwad, he's gonna have a brilliant career. That second goal? Freakish. Seriously. Go look at his vertical in the replays, he's about four feet off the fucking ground. His head reached the ball well above the reach of 6'5 Kocic, and his knees were at Emory's head height.

Unreal. Add that to the speed and finish and he'll be in Europe within two years, probably for a lot of money -- if the dick attitude doesn't fuck it all up, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post

Being the biggest dick off the field is due to the numerous times I have met him away from the pitch. I have never went out of my way to single any player out, but when as fan a player has constant attitude problem and comes off as dick yeah he is one. On that note I have the joy of meeting many of the players off the pitch and 99% of them at least show that they give a fuck and not try and blow a person offf and he has.

On to the generalization of all heart and no skill players explain why certain players are held dearly by Toronto fans in every sport. I will give you examples: Tie Domi, Dan Gargan, Terry Dunfield Jerome Williams. All professionals not very skilled but beloved in this city cause of there blue collar work ethic. They are more reveared then the most skilled players why I have no idea. Dunfield would not start on any other team in the MLS period. anyone who thinks he can I would like to know what team.

Oh by the way go fuck yourself and you know what maybe part of the problem with TFC is people like you don't hold the players or the FO responsible. Go be a fucking cheerleader and a sheep cause if you want to settle for this crap you call a football team.

By the way you know what section I am in if you want have this conversation to my face and call me out by all means I am there every game calling it like i see it.
    Last edited by Section 117; 07-12-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I should also note that while Darren Mattocks seems to be the archetypal overachieving sports dickwad, he's gonna have a brilliant career. That second goal? Freakish. Seriously. Go look at his vertical in the replays, he's about four feet off the fucking ground. His head reached the ball well above the reach of 6'5 Kocic, and his knees were at Emory's head height.

Unreal. Add that to the speed and finish and he'll be in Europe within two years, probably for a lot of money -- if the dick attitude doesn't fuck it all up, of course.
    J, your absolutely right that was freakish. I watched the highlights of that a few times and the vertical he got was unreal.. I know their have been some nice goals in MLS this year (Hassili against us, in CCL as well) but that goal has to be considered a candidate for Goal of the Year..

PS. The endorsement of the goal should not be mistaken in any way that i like Mattocks.. he's still a huge douche who wears ladies under garments..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Football is never as simple as the fans make out. Mariner and the team would have worked on positioning, marking, zones etc etc. A team should NEVER try and change around their CB's unless one is injured. The CB's know who they are picking up at corners, set plays, who they are marking, who they should watch from deep runs. To change a CB half way through a game is always a difficult thing to do. I'm sure it was easier just to get Henry to play out of position rather than change all the marking and instructions to the CB's.

and also - clearly he DID know what he was doing - remember that we actually won the game!
    Err him not switching Ecks and Henry gave Vancouver 2 goals.... Yes yes Emory Was a big problem as well but the whole defensive shape could've been different if he made a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    For everyone calling me out as I was the one who was ripping on Dunfield during the game in section 117. I pay for my tickets and if I want I can boo the team, rip on a player or whatever I want.

Dunfield is shit he is all heart and no skill. I guess that is why people think he is decent. This is the problem with Toronto fans they applaud heart and equate that to skill. I can't stand him I have told him to his face as he is the biggest dick I have ever met. He fucked up more times then I can count and because he scored a goal he is the second coming??? Come on man look at the body of his work the last year and if the supposed experts in soccer still think he is doing a good job need there head to be checked.

Dunfield would not start on any other team in the MLS period. I have been here since day 1 and I will lump him with Garcia, Welsh, Samuel and the countless other useless players we have. If you don't like that is your problem.

Enjoy the win cause this is an anomally for the season. We will struggle consistently against MLS competition and I don't want to even think what is going to happen against Santos is CCL.
    100% agree. I honestly think this "hard work" thing really blinds people in this city. Not saying everyone here, but if someone sees a player running like an headless chicken, he's all of a sudden the team fav simply because he runs and has "heart"

Can honestly say, I have never disagreed so much with anyone's opinion on a footballer than you re Ecks. He has a been a quality player for us, and at his age can be a solid foundation in our defence for yrs to come. His ability on the ball is excellent, he broke up play last night and made a brilliant run from defence to attack that highlights everything good about this man. Sure he is no centre back, but at right back his normal position, there aren't many better than him in this league.
    Dunfield is what he is, a battler, who is really a means to an end this season, don't think we'll see much of him if any next year but to doubt Ecks technical ability is wrong in so many ways. Future captain material is Ecks
    I don't agree. He looks down and runs straight. I saw him running into 2-3 players last night based on one of his random runs right in the middle of the pitch and obviously lost possession. He has no end product ( explains his 1 assist in a year and a half of playing here ) and is caught out of position to many times. This is my opinion.
    Last edited by Jeff s; 07-12-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see us all play a game with Dunfield, and see who wins that! Like, I mean all of us against him! He'd probably tear us a new.....you know the rest!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

He's clearly a player to hate, but equally wish he played for our team! He's definitely got a future, and he's got the arrogance to go with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    Err him not switching Ecks and Henry gave Vancouver 2 goals.... Yes yes Emory Was a big problem as well but the whole defensive shape could've been different if he made a switch.

100% agree. I honestly think this "hard work" thing really blinds people in this city. Not saying everyone here, but if someone sees a player running like an headless chicken, he's all of a sudden the team fav simply because he runs and has "heart"

I don't agree. He looks down and runs straight. I saw him running into 2-3 players last night based on one of his random runs right in the middle of the pitch and obviously lost possession. He has no end product ( explains his 1 assist in a year and a half of playing here ) and is caught out of position to many times. This is my opinion
    I agree. He has no ability to look up while carrying the ball. He runs himself out of space 9 times out of 10. Similar to Ryan Johnson actually. He's not a smart player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see it either way. I just don't think it would have been wise, yesterday, to play a 19 year old, and a guy who's played only 5 games in the MLS to be the partnership in the middle against Le Toux and Mattocks. Eckersley at least has some games and more experience under his belt in the centre.

The whole roster problem with TFC's defense can be summed up with this:

Yesterday's average age of both defense:

Shitecaps:
    De Merit - age 32
    Bounjour - 26
    Lee - 35
    Harvey - 28
    Average age: 30.25 (if you add in Canon "short shorts" it is then average is 31.6 years old)

Toronto:
    Henry - 19
    Ecks - 23
    Emory - 24
    Morgan - 21
    Average age = 21.75 (with Kocic it still only goes up to 22.8!)

That's a crazy difference! We REALLY need to get some experience in the defence! TFC have got to have the younger current defence in the league, surely?

So, I don't really blame Mariner for keeping his "most experienced" two at CB last night, even if they are a mere 23 and 24 years old!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't agree. He looks down and runs straight. I saw him running into 2-3 players last night based on one of his random runs right in the middle of the pitch and obviously lost possession. He has no end product ( explains his 1 assist in a year and a half of playing here ) and is caught out of position to many times. This is my opinion.
    I agree with this as well.. it seems his first instinct is to just boot the ball out, which in certain instances is alright, it just seems to regular with him. His crosses leave a LOT to be desired and he's a red card waiting to happen every game. He's not a bad player, but i think for his cap hit we should be doing better. just my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ACSertL View Post
    Trane my friend I think you might be on to something. With the glut of DMs that we have in this lineup TFC could potentially play a similar formation that Italy did in EURO 2012. If memory serves me correctly it was shown as a 4-4-2 diamond but was rather narrow and thus played more like a 4-3-1-2 (at least this is how it seemed to play out in the Semi Finals), which you've pointed out would maximize the utility of the players we started last night.

That is exactly it. This has become the standard formation for most Serie A clubs, particullalry Milan, the midle CDM playing like the playmaker, like Pirlo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    4-3-3 ios far too ambitious for this league, this system under the salary cap, and the audience that keeps it afloat.
    I will say that KC has had a fantastic season, but its not because of the success of a formation.
    While I love the 4-3-3 as it makes for good watching, if the majority of the teams in MLS took it on, very very few would succeed.
    You realize a lot of the teams in the MLS are playing a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1?

KC
    Chicago
    Montreal
    Vancouver
    Colorado
    Houston
    Philadelphia
    Portland
    Dallas

That is half of the teams in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't agree more.

The "hard work" people praise at times is ridiculous. It's like we're applauding people driving around in cars with square wheels. Work is hard when you make it that way.

Kid A: works hard in practice, develops actual skill, and becomes a star. Instant leper with all the parents for being too good. "Why isn't he more of a team player?"

Kid B: doesn't work hard to develop skill in practice, clearly shows on the field when he's a step slow at everything, but goddammit does he hustle. Look at that exertion of effort to cover his own mistakes. Instant hero.

And this is why athletics in this country is fucked.