Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, thank god for Taylor this morning.

Needing help in the back aside, it has been a brutal schedule and something had to give. Playing every 3-4 days for almost a month now....that's just too much with a small squad.

Dom
    Last edited by Eastend; 07-09-2012 at 06:30 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dom,I don't think we have small squad.what we have is a coach who does not rotate his players at all,same starting 11 in 23 days and 7 games does not work.we have players on the bench that can play if for no other reasons than to give a rest to our burned off starters.
    Henry,JDG,Soolsma,Silva,Harden,Aceval,Stinson,Wili ams, are decent enough for rotation every now and then.

Season is over,give youth a chance,riding old horses all the time does not help when you have such crowded schedule.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And if season is over, it begs the question as to why completely abandon the vision you were implementing (using the term you lightly meaning Kilinsmann told them to implement since they werent coming up with it on their own)?

The answer of course was to demonstrate immediate improvement in order to sell tickets based on hope. Being out possessed in all 7 games, out shot in 6 of 7, and stringing together less passes.... Not to mention being further back from the last playoff spot than we were when we started... Getting just 7 of a possible 21 points... Having a starting record worse than Preki and worse than Winter's May and 2011 4 month end of season... And that decision resulting in Plata leaving.... Yeah, I'm not seeing the short term improvement.

And while the executive continue to let the team flounder with in fighting and lack of vision and resources and they keep asking me to pay double what other MLS fans pay to see better, more well run organizations, they won't be seeing my money either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the media appear to have given up on the team as well. Each of the articles written by media above are copies of the same article written for Canadian Press. The wording is the same, just the headlines are different.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more loss or tie, and Mariner will have had a worse start than Preki.

The score line after the opening half was 2-0. It could well have been 8-0.
    What more can you say?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you didn't have enough reasons to hate this FO:

NEW YORK -- There will be some Canadian content at the MLS all-star game.

The league announced Sunday that D.C. United midfielder and Toronto native Dwayne De Rosario as well as Vancouver Whitecaps captain and central defender Jay DeMerit will be part of the squad taking on English Premier League team Chelsea on July 25 in Chester, Penn.
    De Rosario, the 2011 MLS MVP and Golden Boot winner, finished last season with 16 goals and 12 assists.

So far this year, he has five goals and a league-leading 10 assists while helping D.C. United achieve first place in the Eastern Conference with a 10-5-3 record.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/...LS%20all-stars
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    So the media appear to have given up on the team as well. Each of the articles written by media above are copies of the same article written for Canadian Press. The wording is the same, just the headlines are different.
    to the blogs!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    And if season is over, it begs the question as to why completely abandon the vision you were implementing (using the term you lightly meaning Kilinsmann told them to implement since they werent coming up with it on their own)?

The answer of course was to demonstrate immediate improvement in order to sell tickets based on hope. Being out possessed in all 7 games, out shot in 6 of 7, and stringing together less passes.... Not to mention being further back from the last playoff spot than we were when we started... Getting just 7 of a possible 21 points... Having a starting record worse than Preki and worse than Winter's May and 2011 4 month end of season... And that decision resulting in Plata leaving.... Yeah, I'm not seeing the short term improvement.

And while the executive continue to let the team flounder with in fighting and lack of vision and resources and they keep asking me to pay double what other MLS fans pay to see better, more well run organizations, they won't be seeing my money either.
    lest we forget, mariner's "minor tweaks" to the formation. a 4-4-2 hoof instead of a possession based 4-3-3. oh yeah, minor tweaks.

honestly, i get that we're in a rough run of the schedule, but starting the same 11 for the past 3 games, including 2 away games in the course of a week.. what the fuck? people were on winter about being tactically inflexible? we're playing the same 11 with HOOF BALL. our defenders have more ground to cover, and our attackers have to book it up the pitch.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    One more loss or tie, and Mariner will have had a worse start than Preki.
    interesting idea, let's compare everyone's first 7 games.

carver 11 points
    Preki 9
    Cummins 8
    Dasovic 7 in 6
    Mariner 7
    Winter 7
    Johnston 6

doing better than mo!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, and if anyone ever wants a kick in the stats-nuts:

456 Total Pass 264
    86% Passing Accuracy % 71%

the team launches almost 200 passes more than we do and maintains 15% better accuracy. well done reds!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    interesting idea, let's compare everyone's first 7 games.

carver 11 points
    Preki 9
    Cummins 8
    Dasovic 7 in 6
    Mariner 7
    Winter 7
    Johnston 6

doing better than mo!
    bwahaha to doing better than Mo!... I was actually giving Mariner 10 games for the comparison to Preki.

So Carver had the best start, eh? That's even with Mo as GM.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-09-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Thank god for Taylor."

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Any bets on when Jimmy B gets handed the job ?

We’ve tried nothin’ and we’re all out of ideas.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    lest we forget, mariner's "minor tweaks" to the formation. a 4-4-2 hoof instead of a possession based 4-3-3. oh yeah, minor tweaks.

honestly, i get that we're in a rough run of the schedule, but starting the same 11 for the past 3 games, including 2 away games in the course of a week.. what the fuck? people were on winter about being tactically inflexible? we're playing the same 11 with HOOF BALL. our defenders have more ground to cover, and our attackers have to book it up the pitch.
    When I was watching this game I saw the team playing more like this:

------------------Kocic------------------
    Hall----Eckersley--------Emory----Morgan
    ------Dunfield------------Frings----------
    -----------------Avila--------------------
    Lambe----------------------------Johnson
    ---------------Koevermans---------------

In the previous games we were in a 4-4-2, with one winger:

------------------Kocic-------------------
    Hall----Eckersley--------Emory-----Morgan
    ------------------------------------------
    -----Dunfield-----Frings----DeGuzman-----
    Lambe------------------------------------
    ---------Koevermans---Johnson-----------

The point I wanna make is that the previous games the looked pretty decent because the hoof ball reached Johnson and Koevermans, Dunfield wasnt left to do more than his abilities and deguzman covered for Morgan. Our midfield wasnt so far back that it would be non existant. The 4-2-3-1 never worked with Deguzman and Frings as the holding midfielders so why would it work now with Dunfield and Frings?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm thinking that with some of the tired legs, Brennan might soon get promoted to Stength and Conditioning Coach. Either that or Team Doctor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I'm thinking that with some of the tired legs, Brennan might soon get promoted to Stength and Conditioning Coach. Either that or Team Doctor.
    Its not a demotion, its a promotions, so its more like Head Director of Team Strength and Conditioning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bwahaha to doing better than Mo!... I was actually giving Mariner 10 games for the comparison to Preki.

So Carver had the best start, eh? That's even with Mo as GM.
    The Carver debacle was really the turning point with the franchise. That's when we should have realized there was really no one in charge. Look, for all of Mo's faults he was really just an inexperienced guy in way over his head, trying to do a job he should never have been given. For all the talk of a five-year plan there was clearly no "plan" there was just scrambling and the belief that if you just keep going in this league any team can make the playoffs in five years (has anyone coached a team for three years and not made the playoffs?).

If Carver had stayed, even with Mo as a GM, the team would probably have at least made the playoffs. But what happened with Carver (and Dichio and DeRo and so many others) should have tipped us off a lot sooner that the problems with this team started at the very top.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Any bets on when Jimmy B gets handed the job ?
    No, Brennan doesn't help renewals. Probably hurts that. So no chance.

There is only one guy they can appoint from within that might work for the SSHs. We all know who that is. I fear they will do it too.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Plata back? ..according to Star (-;

LOL ... guess Plata grew a few inches and looks a lot like... JDG

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...on-in-3-0-loss

Yong Kim/AP Toronto FC's Joao Plata, left, kicks the ball against Philadelphia Union's Brian Carroll during the second half of their MLS soccer game in Chester, Pa., on Sunday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post

A lot of people on here were saying that Winter was changing the starting 11 too much earlier in the season. Now its "we are keeping the same starting 11 too much". Fans need to be a little more consistent with the complaints sometimes!

It would take a BRAVE manager to change a starting 11 that is unbeaten 5 games in a row! In hindsight, we are all fantastic football managers, but if I were TFC manager, 5 games unbeaten, I wouldn't want to change the starting 11!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post

If Carver had stayed, even with Mo as a GM, the team would probably have at least made the playoffs. But what happened with Carver (and Dichio and DeRo and so many others) should have tipped us off a lot sooner that the problems with this team started at the very top.
    I really thought Mo was the problem.
    However, I should have looked a bit higher than Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    A lot of people on here were saying that Winter was changing the starting 11 too much earlier in the season. Now its "we are keeping the same starting 11 too much". Fans need to be a little more consistent with the complaints sometimes!
    It's totally consistent. We lack someone who has the sense to pilot a middle ground. For another problem area, under Winter, TFC was too technical, under Mariner, not technical enough. It's just bad coaching, period. All the talk of "courage" doesn't paper over Mariner's severe shortcomings.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-09-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's totally consistent. We lack someone who has the sense to pilot a middle ground. For another problem area, under Winter, TFC was too technical, under Mariner, not technical enough. It's just bad coaching, period. All the talk of "courage" doesn't paper over Mariner's severe shortcomings.
    If you were TFC head coach, and you were unbeaten in 5 games, and you said to your players "how do you feel?" and they all said "good to go" (as they were confident after playing well) - would you keep that starting 11, or change them, even though you are unbeaten?

I'd be extremely hard pressed to change that starting 11, personally.

Anybody like to argue otehrwise (bearing in mind that hindsight is a wonderful thing right now and its easy to answer "yes I would change the team" knowing the result).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would take a BRAVE manager to change a starting 11 that is unbeaten 5 games in a row! In hindsight, we are all fantastic football managers, but if I were TFC manager, 5 games unbeaten, I wouldn't want to change the starting 11!
    Would it has taken a BRAVE manager to change the starting XI of a tram that had 1 win in 6 matches and has blown two goal leads twice?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Would it has taken a BRAVE manager to change the starting XI of a tram that had 1 win in 6 matches and has blown two goal leads twice?
    I fear that whatever happens to any TFC manager right now, that it would always be the "wrong decision" for many fans. I don't think TFC is a win-win situation right now, unless we got Sir Alex and we went on a 50 game unbeaten run! I'm sure some people would still consider that a "change in direction" (Sir Alex often players 4-4-2, even though its beautiful to watch)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fear that whatever happens to any TFC manager right now, that it would always be the "wrong decision" for many fans. I don't think TFC is a win-win situation right now, unless we got Sir Alex and we went on a 50 game unbeaten run! I'm sure some people would still consider that a "change in direction" (Sir Alex often players 4-4-2, even though its beautiful to watch)!
    No, you are using skewed stats to defend Mariner. You can call it unbeaten in 5 or 1 win in 6 matches and has blown two goal leads twice. And add to that the amount games and travel in the past month you can't help but wonder why there hasn't been any changes made.

So would it take a BRAVE manager to change up the staring XI with all of this kept in mind?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you were TFC head coach, and you were unbeaten in 5 games, and you said to your players "how do you feel?" and they all said "good to go" (as they were confident after playing well) - would you keep that starting 11, or change them, even though you are unbeaten?

Anybody like to argue otehrwise (bearing in mind that hindsight is a wonderful thing right now and its easy to answer "yes I would change the team" knowing the result).
    Go to pre/in game thread tfc @ Philly and you will find so many people actually asking WTF is he doing with same starting 11,and those posts were before the game.This game was 100% Mariners screw up,there in no excuse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thought I'd re-post this .....

Fake Diary of Mo Johnston - afternoon of October 15, 2010

You all hated me. Like I am some kind of evil goblin or the like.

Aye I’m nobody’s pal. I played rough with the players. I was a cheapskate for the bosses, it’s up to the bosses to decide if they want to be toss a few more of their coins around. Of course these bosses never stepped up.

Some of the players are still crying. Hurling stones at me because I didn’t pay for coaching lessons. Christ what a bunch of numpties. I’ll remember. I didn’t win, so I had to go, but I’ll be back somewhere– getting canned by MLSE is an endorsement of your character.

In the meantime, I’ve got a few other scores to settle. The bosses actually said: “Preki broke up a team that was close to getting there, and Mo let him do it”. You can bet I’ll have something to say about that. I’m the one who thought we were close, but I got ripped when I said so. The bosses didn’t back me up and forced Preki down my throat. I warned them about him, but it didn’t matter. They gave him the keys, let him bring in his guys. Everybody loved it. For a few weeks anyway.

Then this stuff they’re doing with the fans: “we’re sorry, but not really”…“we’re hiring consultants to advise us on the consultants”…there is a god, because they're letting people see what life is like behind closed doors.

So what d’ya think now? Now that you all get to see for yourselves. What I protected you from. Every day.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Go to pre/in game thread tfc @ Philly and you will find so many people actually asking WTF is he doing with same starting 11,and those posts were before the game.This game was 100% Mariners screw up,there in no excuse.
    And I'm equally as sure if he DID change the starting 11, and we lost, then all you guys would be saying "why the hell did he change an unbeaten starting 11". You see how this is a no win situation?

As I said, its VERY easy to criticise the starting 11 selection in hindsight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having coached and been involved with teams in this position, the answer is yes, I would change things up. As stated in another thread, there are a few players that are not playing particularly consistantly. We've already seen rotation (of sorts) on the back line - mainly to try and find a solid starting 4. Core players would stay in - Frings, Danny K, Ecks, Morgan, Kocic, Johnson. Others can rotate in. JDG/Dunfield. Lambe/Avila/Soolsma/Silva. Hall/Henry/Williams/Emory on the back line. There are also others - Maund and Stinson are capable of taking up the slack in the midfield in a pinch. Our weakest area is up front, with nothing comparable to throw up there, and those are spots that should be subbed off after 60-75 minutes. Maybe a Silva or Soolsma can slot in up front in a pinch, even if only as a sub.

Recognize that not all positions are equal. These guys (the coaching staff) have information about the distances each runs in a game and their frequentcy of touches. My guess would be top in that category might be the attacking mids, followed closely by the fullbacks. Mariner is already doing some of this (managing positions) with his subs, why not take it a step further. Had he done this with Plata, who knows? Maybe he'd still be here!

There is an issue with the roster size, and this is something to consider. We need a 30 man roster at a higher cap to be effective with fixture congestion as we've seen. But everyone in the league faces the same congestion, maybe not quite as much as us, but not that far off.

Forget about hindsight. That is just good football (and roster) management.