Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well if you're talking the size of stadiums if I'm FIFA I just go back to the US where I'm licensed to print money upon money.

Stadium size, TV, marketing... it's all there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey idiots (Endearing term for everyone here, myself included...god knows i say stupid shit)

The smallest stadium in South Africa had 38,000 seats. Over half the stadiums had 42,000 or less.

You don't need a bunch of 60k plus stadiums.

You just need 1, with ones in the 50-60k range for semi finals.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NFL is not coming to Toronto full time so everyone here can keep dreaming about that magical new 'nfl' stadium.

Even if it happens after the initial glitz and glamore has worn off, they'll struggle to sell tickets. And the only reason they'll stay afloat after that is because some media company has a stake in it and can subsidize it by paying an enormous amount for TV rights, who will intern sell advertising spots at an enormous rate to a different division within the same company, which intern will cause your cable/cell phone/internet bill to rise.

Oh wait, that's already happening with one Toronto team.

But if that's what it takes for people in this city to realize that the CFL has a more entertaining brand of football, so be it. Otherwise enjoy the 9-6 games.

As for Stadia.

Most here are correct,

BC Place
    Edmonton has just undergone some renovations. They are replacing the seats this season. From what I remember it IS possible to add temps to the north endzone above the existing seats near the video board.
    Calgary is in the beginning stages of looking at a new stadium. Since the ownership also owns the Flames, they are looking at a joint stadium/arena project.
    Regina IS building a new facility. It was going to be a dome, but I think they decided it's not worth it. Open air facility and probably something similar to what Winnipeg is building, They are aiming for a total capacity of 50,000+ for Grey Cups from what I've heard. (Temp seats)
    Winnipeg's new stadium will be done late this year. 45,000 ish with temps
    Hamilton new stadium will start out to seat 22,000. I've seen the drawings. The way they are rebuilding it will allow for a second deck in the future on one sideline.
    London is a possibility.
    Ottawa's new stadium will be done for 2014. 24,000 capacity expandable to 50,000 with temps.
    Montreal is looking at replacing Big-O's roof (again) with a retractable roof that actually works.
    After that, you have Quebec City, and Moncton with stadiums that can work with temps/expansion

And Halifax has had a desire to build a stadium but can never seem to come up with the funding for it.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinda makes you wonder about the York stadium that could have been. What if BMO Field was constructed on it's original intended location?

Going by the designs I've seen, expansion at this site wouldn't be too difficult. It was built with 25,000 originally but the north and south ends have room to grow, as does the west side.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    While the government has been interested in hosting an Olympics in Toronto for example, the people aren't as willing. So how will the people of Canada support a World Cup where most of the new stadiums will have to be built with public money, where the facilities will have less legacy than Olympic facilities? The Olympics bring big TV ratings, and legacy features, to its citizens but if the appeal isn't there for an Olympics where is it for a World Cup, outside of soccer fans?

You'll need a new 75,000 seat stadium for Toronto. This will likely depend on getting a NFL team. Where do you build it? The best spot within Toronto would be by Woodbine as the space is there. Or do you raze BMO and build at the Ex? If so, does TFC play in a 75,000 seat stadium, share with a NFL team? Does TFC still exist? What happens to SkyDome? Do 3-4 teams (NFL, MLB, MLS, CFL) share the one new stadium? If SkyDome still stays, does only the NFL team play in the new NFL stadium?
    Woodbine Beaches? or Woodbine North?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ROFLMFAO!

We'd be lucky to have a team good enough to qualify for the world cup on its own merits by 2026.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Well than hosting SHOULD be our goal if we can't qualify through a tournament.

(shh, I don't think we can host either)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Woodbine Beaches? or Woodbine North?
    Woodbine racetrack

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just have to be careful this kind of stuff doesn't happen.

South Africa's 'white elephant stadium should be converted into housing'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...o-housing.html

Hunting White Elephants: New Study Questions Mega-Event Stadium Legacy

http://www.stadiumbusinesssummit.com...tadium-legacy/

(I went to the stadium in Leiria in 2004. It's no longer being used.)

THE UNWANTED LEGACY OF EURO 2012

http://www.upflund.se/utrikesperspek...euro-2012.html

Japanese stadiums turn into white elephants

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...all2002.sport4

Hopefully the CFL will be in existence in 2026.

Just a different perspective in relation to a country that will need to build or upgrade its stadiums in order to host.
    Last edited by Whoop; 07-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably the worst idea to come out the CSA in decades. Like we need to spend 19 billion dollars of tax payer cash on this. Just give every soccer fan 100,000 dollars each to cover the cost of attending the next 3 WC's.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This totally has to be a smoke screen by the CSA. A little sleight of hand and misdirection.

Don't worry about results people. Sure, 2014 is beyond us and chances don't look good for 2018, but 2026 is only 8 years beyond that and we'll be there !
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    This totally has to be a smoke screen by the CSA. A little sleight of hand and misdirection.

Don't worry about results people. Sure, 2014 is beyond us and chances don't look good for 2018, but 2026 is only 8 years beyond that and we'll be there !
    Maybe misdirection but you skipped past the initial "Look at us! We're looking to improve our reputation!" mentality in the announcement.

This has the same likelihood to it as MLS teams talking of poaching the best players of the year (Messi, in previous years, Ronaldinho). It's desperation. You want my serious attention? Tell me plans to create a nation wide league at the Div3 level.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Hamilton new stadium will start out to seat 22,000. I've seen the drawings. The way they are rebuilding it will allow for a second deck in the future on one sideline.
    Not sure what plans you've seen - because all three proposed designs have second decks on both East and West Stands

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Maybe misdirection but you skipped past the initial "Look at us! We're looking to improve our reputation!" mentality in the announcement.

This has the same likelihood to it as MLS teams talking of poaching the best players of the year (Messi, in previous years, Ronaldinho). It's desperation. You want my serious attention? Tell me plans to create a nation wide league at the Div3 level.
    I must admit I didn't actually read the article. I didn't want to look any further after having read the headline for fear that the complete inanity of the idea would have me curling up into a facepalm.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a different perspective in relation to a country that will need to build or upgrade its stadiums in order to host.

Oh sure, all those stadiums, but in this country a big sporting event could no more lose money than a man could have a baby...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the thing. If they're going to take on this type of bid, a plan is required for use after the event which should then drive the design of the stadia. South Africa was poorly done. They should have consulted with Rugby SA to get an indication if the club teams could have taken occupation, or they could have worked with Cricket SA who were thinking of creating an IPL-like tournament and then design each stadia with T20 type dimensions. For Canada, they can work with CFL, design numerous 40 000 capacity stadia with temporary seating at the end zones that would be removed after the WC. They can also work with the MLS teams to get better facilities in the end with Vancouver getting their own Soccer-specific stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new stadium in Toronto doesn't have to be a football stadium. In Atlanta for the 1996 Olympics, the main stadium was temporary, and then converted to a baseball specific park after the games. Also, by 2026 skydome will be 37 years old. That could be old enough to require replacing by then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there still talk of a 2024 Olympics bid by the city? If so, there's your new stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Is there still talk of a 2024 Olympics bid by the city? If so, there's your new stadium.
    There would have to be some serious changes in the way this city thinks.

From an article in the Star today:

"The truth is that Toronto has reached an awkward stage in its evolution where it can no longer control or even keep up with the forces it has unleashed. It has become a big city; but still thinks like a small town. The advent of Rob Ford is about exactly this. Toronto’s ambivalence about having become a metropolis has never been more obvious."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...refuse-toronto

Until this city can figure out a subway, it's far from an Olympic city.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fuck me - even Toronto City Hall is run by MLSE ???
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well - it's an article from The Star after all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post

• the stadium infrastructure: we'd need to build, rebuild, and renovate stadiums which will serve no purpose after completion (FIFA requires each stadium to at least seat 30k+)
    many of the CFL stadiums need renovating in the next few years.

• we lack the strength in CSA to put forth a proper bid.
    CSA is reforming and bidding for the games is still a few years away (2019 at the latest)

• the distance teams would have to travel to reach a suitable venue would be too great (it's a 6 hour flight between vancouver and toronto).
    obviously you would regionalize the groups and then align the knockout stages

i believe if they launched a joint bid with the US, it'd sweeten the deal. you could run them on separate coasts so all they would have to do is hop the border, during the group stage into the knockout round. you wouldn't have to worry about venue infrastructure, and FIFA has always had a sweet spot for "developing the game" (ie: Canada and a revisit to the US).
    the thing is the US don't need us for a bid and joint bids are frowned upon
    if you look at the trend it goes: wildcard, standard, wildcard, standard

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    This would take a shitload of planning and a shitload of money. The CSA would have to convince the government to build several new stadiums and upgrade all the existing stadiums. No way that happens unless they also create a good long term plan to advance soccer in this country to the point where the stadiums would actually be put to full use afterwards. That means they'll need a plan to professionalize soccer in this country, because lets be honest, three MLS teams doesn't give us a real professional level. to really professionalize soccer in this country we need to be at the level where kids that are good have ambition to be pro. Right now I know quite a few kids who play rep soccer who've probably never even thought twice about the possibility of making it a career.
    There's no reason why a country with 32 million people can't have a professional league for it's most played sport, other than lack of ambition.
    you are going the wrong way about it. Building/renovating a stadium in cities like Quebec City/Halifax do not have to go the soccer route...in fact the CSA should be working with the CFL on that part. The stadiums could very well help bring expansion in the CFL and also not make the stadiums into white elephants.

As for the government, I believe a few years ago the government said something along the lines that they were committed to backing the hosting of two marquee sporting events a decade.

The issue isn't the stadia...thats a possiblity.

The issues come around the other aspects of hosting the tournament.

Airports (Doable).

Do cities like Regina, Winnipeg, Halifax/Moncton, and Hamilton have enough "FIFA" standard hotel rooms?

Are there enough quality training facilities for 32 teams to make a "base" at. Those will be two of the tougher tasks that need addressing for hosting the world cup

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    many of the CFL stadiums need renovating in the next few years.

the thing is the US don't need us for a bid and joint bids are frowned upon
    if you look at the trend it goes: wildcard, standard, wildcard, standard
    1. don't quote me against me jackass!
    2. from this legit-ass document i found online, apparently we would need 12 stadiums all exceeding 40k.
    60k for the knockout, and 80k for the final.

going from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Canada, we'd have 4 stadiums that'd be ready to go at current capacity, not including only 2 ready to host the knockout round. none big enough to host the final. even with the addition of seating, we'd need to renovate 8 stadiums to fit at least another 6 with at least 10K worth of seats.

that's what i mean in terms of stadia problems. yes the CFL stadiums do need a revamp, but unless we're going the temporary seating route (even with the games fixed for soccer adding at least an extra 2k) i doubt they'd be able to find this affordable. having said that, its quite a ways off, so im not discounting the thought. we just have a big ass hill to climb.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Oh sure, all those stadiums, but in this country a big sporting event could no more lose money than a man could have a baby...
    LOL ah the legacy of Drapeau!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    There would have to be some serious changes in the way this city thinks.

From an article in the Star today:

"The truth is that Toronto has reached an awkward stage in its evolution where it can no longer control or even keep up with the forces it has unleashed. It has become a big city; but still thinks like a small town. The advent of Rob Ford is about exactly this. Toronto’s ambivalence about having become a metropolis has never been more obvious."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...refuse-toronto

Until this city can figure out a subway, it's far from an Olympic city.
    This.

Currently in Lisbon, which has a population of over 500,000 and a metro pop of 2mil, and their subway system/suburban train system kicks Toronto's ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck me - even Toronto City Hall is run by MLSE ???
    How else do you think the Majors got run out of town?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. don't quote me against me jackass!
    2. from this legit-ass document i found online, apparently we would need 12 stadiums all exceeding 40k.
    60k for the knockout, and 80k for the final.

going from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Canada, we'd have 4 stadiums that'd be ready to go at current capacity, not including only 2 ready to host the knockout round. none big enough to host the final. even with the addition of seating, we'd need to renovate 8 stadiums to fit at least another 6 with at least 10K worth of seats.

that's what i mean in terms of stadia problems. yes the CFL stadiums do need a revamp, but unless we're going the temporary seating route (even with the games fixed for soccer adding at least an extra 2k) i doubt they'd be able to find this affordable. having said that, its quite a ways off, so im not discounting the thought. we just have a big ass hill to climb.
    re: 1. i'd agree with you, but there is no point in both of us being wrong

u can get away with temp seating and follow qatar's idea of donating it, but instead donate it to other towns in Canada that want a 5000 seat field and stuff like that

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

These multi-quote /reply posts do my head in. Can we not make an effort to edit these before posting ?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    As for the government, I believe a few years ago the government said something along the lines that they were committed to backing the hosting of two marquee sporting events a decade.

The issue isn't the stadia...thats a possiblity.

The issues come around the other aspects of hosting the tournament.

Airports (Doable).

Do cities like Regina, Winnipeg, Halifax/Moncton, and Hamilton have enough "FIFA" standard hotel rooms?

Are there enough quality training facilities for 32 teams to make a "base" at. Those will be two of the tougher tasks that need addressing for hosting the world cup
    1) I remember that but I believe that was mentioned before the world's economy collapsed in 2008.

2) You may be right on that point. (hotels/training grounds) That part kind of blows my mind that it's actually mandated by FIFA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These multi-quote /reply posts do my head in. Can we not make an effort to edit these before posting ?
    what he said, no use posting the entire thing if you're only going to cite one specific point. just a personal gripe i have.