Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    But I still criticize Montreal fans for not coming out. It's an expansion team so obviously they aren't going to be a great team. the prices aren't that bad already. It's not like they had 6 years of futility and are justified in not showing up until things get better, Just shows Montreal fans are bandwagon jumpers.
    Saputo Stadium is located in the worst part of Montreal. If it was located downtown or right off the highway with multiple public transportation options like at BMO it would draw a better crowd.

Also just like in Toronto people show up damn late for kickoff because of the location since rush hour traffic doesn't end until 7:30pm on a weeknight.
    06-18-09 i was there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Criticizing the customers has never been a particularly sound business strategy. Rather than saying "people aren't coming out" I'd rather see management ask why they aren't coming out.

That being said, if they really looked hard enough they'd realize if they want to cultivate the hardcore support in the stadium they have to do a better job of managing the relationship with their fans. Give credit where it's due, compared to 90& of the other teams out there TFC does a pretty good job of this. Slight problem being, you know if tickets ever got hot and there were extra dollars to be made, they'd price us right out of the building.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/...troduce_nesta/

I cant believe that no one has posted this yet that they are already lowering prices, even after the recent pickups they just made. just goes to show you.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Criticizing the customers has never been a particularly sound business strategy. Rather than saying "people aren't coming out" I'd rather see management ask why they aren't coming out.
    ag is that not what they are doing? It's myself and opposing supporters saying the former. The impact FO has composed a message very similar to the latter part of your post.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

That being said, if they really looked hard enough they'd realize if they want to cultivate the hardcore support in the stadium they have to do a better job of managing the relationship with their fans. Give credit where it's due, compared to 90& of the other teams out there TFC does a pretty good job of this. Slight problem being, you know if tickets ever got hot and there were extra dollars to be made, they'd price us right out of the building.
    Take note TFC / MLS / MLSE. Sure, a winning team will help fill those empty seats at BMO Field but so might lower ticket prices and they just might be easier to achieve.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Lets wait to see how successful that Impact FO is with the sale on tix first before we fall over ourselves applauding them trying to survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    ag is that not what they are doing? It's myself and opposing supporters saying the former. The impact FO has composed a message very similar to the latter part of your post.
    I think it's neither here nor there... They are right to lower prices to get some more butts in the seats, but they are wrong to continuously be adversarial with their supporters group.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-09-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Lets wait to see how successful that Impact FO is with the sale on tix first before we fall over ourselves applauding them trying to survive.
    This bring to mind all the discussions that took place when MLSE got involved in bringing a team to Toronto while Montreal was bypassed due to their unwillingness to pay the freight. Joey's worry about putting up the big money (only $10 million) in those days may have been well founded though. Sure L'Impact had good attendances in second tier but with much lower ticket prices, very cheap group rates and some liberal papering of the house. Joey hesitated on jumping on the MLS bandwagon out of concern that his fan base would not react well to the prices that needed to be charged for the big league.

It looks like his fears were well founded leaving him with a hill to climb both on and off the field.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    This bring to mind all the discussions that took place when MLSE got involved in bringing a team to Toronto while Montreal was bypassed due to their unwillingness to pay the freight. Joey's worry about putting up the big money (only $10 million) in those days may have been well founded though. Sure L'Impact had good attendances in second tier but with much lower ticket prices, very cheap group rates and some liberal papering of the house. Joey hesitated on jumping on the MLS bandwagon out of concern that his fan base would not react well to the prices that needed to be charged for the big league.

It looks like his fears were well founded leaving him with a hill to climb both on and off the field.
    That's a very good point. It's extremely surprising to someone from Toronto, a city that ONLY responds to top level competition (See: Lynx, Majors, even Marlies) watch a city so close in population struggle to show up in numbers for a "promoted" team.

I'll admit I thought Joey was simply courting the best entrance fee offer he could get moreso to make a statement on his opinion of MLS but he genuinely had reasons not to join MLS at this point. I hope for his and the cities sake that it changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a very good point. It's extremely surprising to someone from Toronto, a city that ONLY responds to top level competition (See: Lynx, Majors, even Marlies) watch a city so close in population struggle to show up in numbers for a "promoted" team.

I'll admit I thought Joey was simply courting the best entrance fee offer he could get moreso to make a statement on his opinion of MLS but he genuinely had reasons not to join MLS at this point. I hope for his and the cities sake that it changes.

He does have a tough situation in Montreal. The stadium is in a terrible location for half the city to get to (I know, on the Metro and all that, but it's a long haul from the West Island suburns - very different from where the Als play - even the Expos could only draw there if they were winning once the novelty wore off) and there's a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar in Montreal in the summer.

Like they have so far, it's likely the Impact will do well in big one-off games, but getting a lot of people to commit to season tickets for the summer in Montreal will be tough.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny all the fuss and yet they're averaging 25K a game. 6K more than us and a 5K more than the Habs and yet---- PANIC it's not going to work. LOL.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
    Funny all the fuss and yet they're averaging 25K a game. 6K more than us and a 5K more than the Habs and yet---- PANIC it's not going to work. LOL.
    IF that's the case then their problem is getting people to show up. Other than the LA game there was nowhere near 25k. Shame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take note TFC / MLS / MLSE. Sure, a winning team will help fill those empty seats at BMO Field but so might lower ticket prices and they just might be easier to achieve.
    I would much rather pay my current ssh rate and be competitive next season than have my ticket prices halved and watch the worst team in mls. I also think mls may have made a mistake in awarding Montreal a place in the league. It is really not a great sports town.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by supersaint View Post
    I would much rather pay my current ssh rate and be competitive next season than have my ticket prices halved and watch the worst team in mls. I also think mls may have made a mistake in awarding Montreal a place in the league. It is really not a great sports town.
    Probably the same reason as the expos franchise being awarded. Great party town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you actually watched them play besides the matches against Toronto? They actually play some nice football right now. The match against KC that was TSN the other week was a great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably the same reason as the expos franchise being awarded. Great party town.
    It's tough to figure Montreal's exact place between big market and small market - the Habs, of course, dominate everything, but the Als are a very successful franchise now that they play in a good, downtown stadium. It's even helped university football do better in Montreal.

The Royals had a long and distinguished history in Montreal and the Expos did well for a long time but probably also needed to play downtown in a good baseball stadium. As you say, Montreal is a party town and there's always something to do so selling tickets to a crappy stadium that's tough for a lot of the city to get to is going to be tough outside of 'event' games.

It's not that Montreal is a bad sports city, it's just that there's a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It's tough to figure Montreal's exact place between big market and small market - the Habs, of course, dominate everything, but the Als are a very successful franchise now that they play in a good, downtown stadium. It's even helped university football do better in Montreal.

The Royals had a long and distinguished history in Montreal and the Expos did well for a long time but probably also needed to play downtown in a good baseball stadium. As you say, Montreal is a party town and there's always something to do so selling tickets to a crappy stadium that's tough for a lot of the city to get to is going to be tough outside of 'event' games.

It's not that Montreal is a bad sports city, it's just that there's a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar.

Agreed.

Here's the deal. We think Toronto is a great sports town cause we'll support anything major league- even if the team is the JOKE of the league. In other towns, you have to win for people to come out. Have you seen some Seria A games? Empty stadiums. Does that mean that Italy is a crap market for soccer?

It's so easy to bash Montreal because that's what we're supposed to do. They still are outdrawing us and ahead in the standings. This has nothing to do with Montreal being a bad market or being a bad team, but everything to do with MLSE and our collective need to feel that we're the Canadian Boston. Except teams in Boston win stuff.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You`re watching the worst team in the MLS NOW...good luck with year seven...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much ridiculousness.

Agreed.

Here's the deal. We think Toronto is a great sports town cause we'll support anything major league- even if the team is the JOKE of the league. In other towns, you have to win for people to come out. Have you seen some Seria A games? Empty stadiums. Does that mean that Italy is a crap market for soccer?
    Another way to say this is Toronto does not have as many fairweather fans. And no empty stadiums does not mean a crap market for soccer. It means a crap market for live soccer.

It's so easy to bash Montreal because that's what we're supposed to do. They still are outdrawing us and ahead in the standings. This has nothing to do with Montreal being a bad market or being a bad team, but everything to do with MLSE and our collective need to feel that we're the Canadian Boston. Except teams in Boston win stuff.
    No. This has everything to do with Montreal struggling to get people out and nothing to do with MLSE. And I don't know or care to be Boston. I think you're projecting.

Montreal vs KC:

Attendance:

Toronto vs Vancouver:

Attendance: 19821

I don't know what attendance you're referring to unless its your own guesstimate looking at the crowd in 2 sec intervals in highlights. Not very reliable or trustworthy.

You`re watching the worst team in the MLS NOW...good luck with year seven...
    Does that mean you won't be around? Oh, and you're keyboard is still on french mode, mon ami.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 07-13-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pfffft. Montreal has the most fickle fans in Canada, in any professional sport. Even the Habs learned that lesson the hard way during their lean years.

Saputo has pulled out all the stops, catered to his demographic fan base, built a respectable first year squad, and they still can't sell out.

What a joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Pfffft. Montreal has the most fickle fans in Canada, in any professional sport. Even the Habs learned that lesson the hard way during their lean years.

Saputo has pulled out all the stops, catered to his demographic fan base, built a respectable first year squad, and they still can't sell out.

What a joke.
    Saputo didn't have a downtown stadium handed to him.

Wait and see what this looks like in five years. Maybe it'll be like it is now, or maybe it'll look more like the Als and Argos.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saputo didn't have a downtown stadium handed to him.

Wait and see what this looks like in five years. Maybe it'll be like it is now, or maybe it'll look more like the Als and Argos.....
    Let's see what happens to the Als attendance figures if they are no longer a perennial Grey Cup contender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Let's see what happens to the Als attendance figures if they are no longer a perennial Grey Cup contender.
    Yeah, we'll see. There may even be a link between the Impact and the Als - it wasn't that long ago that Quebec completely revamped it's minor football programs and started CEGEP and university football (how long did it take Laval from starting a football program to winning the Vanier Cup?) and that had an affect on the Als.

But if soccer overtakes football in Quebec that may have a (geeze, I wish there was another word for it ) impact on profressional soccer in Quebec.

But there's no doubt, fans in Montreal demand a winning team more than fans in Toronto. Just like Quebec demands better movies and TV shows from its domestic industry and better...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, we'll see. There may even be a link between the Impact and the Als - it wasn't that long ago that Quebec completely revamped it's minor football programs and started CEGEP and university football (how long did it take Laval from starting a football program to winning the Vanier Cup?) and that had an affect on the Als.

But if soccer overtakes football in Quebec that may have a (geeze, I wish there was another word for it ) impact on profressional soccer in Quebec.

But there's no doubt, fans in Montreal demand a winning team more than fans in Toronto. Just like Quebec demands better movies and TV shows from its domestic industry and better...
    Not to mention DEMANDING better social benefits like virtually free daycare and education compared to the rest of the country.

These guys demand a lot... and seem to get it.

Cajones.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The focus on the Italian connection will not help them with the Francophone community. The Als actively scouted and courted local talent. Yes, its a bit harder for the Impact to do so. But you would have thought they might at least go for a bit more French team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Have you actually watched them play besides the matches against Toronto? They actually play some nice football right now. The match against KC that was TSN the other week was a great.
    I did not mean that Montreal were the worst team in MLS I was talking in general terms about being willing to pay to see a decent and successful team, and being unwilling to pay a lot less if I knew that there was going to be no effort to improve on a poor season. I think Montreal have a damn good first year team, and I did enjoy the KC game. If you take the huge attendance for the LA Galaxy game out of the equation, it is a bit worrying that even though they have a pretty good team, especially for a first year MLS team, and they have some high profile players, attendance may well become an issue for Saputo. I hope they survive and flourish, because it only helps the game grow in Canada as a whole, and god knows we all love the rivalry that is developing between ourselves, Vancouver and Montreal.