Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right and leagues beyond me in football knowledge. I'm just a pest sometimes. I feel like Koevs mom, anything that can get him injured I do not like!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC tweets (and Mariner interview) from today suggest that Danny & Dunfield will be OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    TFC tweets (and Mariner interview) from today suggest that Danny & Dunfield will be OK.
    Good news. This team is pretty thin up top. I hope Danny can stay fit for the rest of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many "Where's the stream" posts are going to happen? I'll make it 1, to start. www.firstrowsports.eu doesn't seem to have any american streams.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorCanSoc View Post
    How many "Where's the stream" posts are going to happen? I'll make it 1, to start. www.firstrowsports.eu doesn't seem to have any american streams.
    Game is tomorrow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to make somebody's day, the Guardian will be live blogging this match. I think they usually get 2 comments all game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner from yesterdays training interview says that todays game is going to be difficult due to the heat in Philly and that "possession will be 9/10 of the law"

LOL

We'll see if that changes the tactic they've been playing for 6 games.

Somehow I doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC held possession very well in the second half against Dallas when they were pressing for the go ahead goal. I see no reason why they can't do it again.

But yeah, Mariner's just a clueless moron who's incapable of preaching anything other than hoof ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    TFC held possession very well in the second half against Dallas when they were pressing for the go ahead goal. I see no reason why they can't do it again.

But yeah, Mariner's just a clueless moron who's incapable of preaching anything other than hoof ball.
    I don't think he's a moron. I just think he prefers a shitty style of football. And despite parts of a half here and there, his first choice has been to have his players play 40 yard balls before anything else.

So you can grasp on to the 40 minutes or so over the last 6 games as an indication of his affinity for possession based football but I just don't see it.

When you have central defenders coming back to the keeper to give him an option to distribute the ball and then watch the keeper roll it to his CB just outside the 18 who promptly puts his head down and hits it 50 yards upheld, it's clear that possession is not a priority.

We'll see today.

I'm curious to see what the starting 11 will look like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definition of a Moron: Someone who starts Dunfield everygame and only subs him when he is injured. The second part of the equation is someone who thought Andy Iro was a football player. End of Story!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I don't think he's a moron. I just think he prefers a shitty style of football. And despite parts of a half here and there, his first choice has been to have his players play 40 yard balls before anything else.

So you can grasp on to the 40 minutes or so over the last 6 games as an indication of his affinity for possession based football but I just don't see it.

When you have central defenders coming back to the keeper to give him an option to distribute the ball and then watch the keeper roll it to his CB just outside the 18 who promptly puts his head down and hits it 50 yards upheld, it's clear that possession is not a priority.

We'll see today.

I'm curious to see what the starting 11 will look like.
    And you and others can grasp on to the illusion that Winter had TFC playing the beautiful game the way it was meant to be played.

Winter relied on the long ball as part of his tactical approach as well in case you didn't notice. I saw the ball played out long from the backline, midfield, and the wings quite often during Winter's tenure. In fact, it became the predictable focal point of our offense, which is why other teams found it so easy to defend against it and counter.

Every system requires flexibility within it's deployment in order to be successful against teams that utilize different tactics and formations. Winter failed miserably in that regard. The jury is still out on Mariner, but so far so good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And you and others can grasp on to the illusion that Winter had TFC playing the beautiful game the way it was meant to be played.

Winter relied on the long ball as part of his tactical approach as well in case you didn't notice. I saw the ball played out long from the backline, midfield, and the wings quite often during Winter's tenure. In fact, it became the predictable focal point of our offense, which is why other teams found it so easy to defend against it and counter.

Every system requires flexibility within it's deployment in order to be successful against teams that utilize different tactics and formations. Winter failed miserably in that regard. The jury is still out on Mariner, but so far so good.

First of all...what does Winter have to do with this? He was fired, and deserved to be. He didn't get them playing the style that they'd said they would.

Now...as for the bolded part...it's funny.

I think you're talking out of your ass when you say that you saw Winter "rely" on long ball service and even more bullshit saying that it became the focal point of TFC's offence. LOL

But...giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying that Winter did employ hoof ball tactics (which he rarely did, if ever)....how can you criticize it when you say Winter did it and then support Mariner when it's plain as day that he does it more than any coach we've ever had? LOL

Long ball is bad when Winter did it but okay when Mariner does it? Great example of complete bias on your part ruling your judgement.

Walking contradiction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter used it because our players werent technical enough to play his brand of football(not being his champion just stating), it might the same for paul to some extent but Imo route-one football is his preferered style of play.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't have the players to play anything BUT route one football. Being MLS, i'm ok with that.

The only difference i've noticed from the two coaches is the lack of punishable giveaways.

We never out-possess the other team. We're still shit on defending set pieces and Danny is still a scoring machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all...what does Winter have to do with this? He was fired, and deserved to be. He didn't get them playing the style that they'd said they would.

Now...as for the bolded part...it's funny.

I think you're talking out of your ass when you say that you saw Winter "rely" on long ball service and even more bullshit saying that it became the focal point of TFC's offence. LOL

But...giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying that Winter did employ hoof ball tactics (which he rarely did, if ever)....how can you criticize it when you say Winter did it and then support Mariner when it's plain as day that he does it more than any coach we've ever had? LOL

Long ball is bad when Winter did it but okay when Mariner does it? Great example of complete bias on your part ruling your judgement.

Walking contradiction.
    You have been bitching and whining since Mariner was hired despite his positive results, citing that Mariner has resorted to route one football, yet you never complained about Winter's style of play in the past, despite his brutal track record. All of the sudden, now you're suggesting that Winter never had them playing the style he said he would? That's a first.

Who's the walking contradiction, and who's talking out of his ass?

As for Winter's tactical approach utilizing the long ball at times, specifically in the offensive third of the pitch, it was obvious that the team relied almost exclusively on lobbing balls in from the wings to create chances.

I never criticized long ball or 4-3-3, I'm just pointing out that Mariner's conventional approach is more suitable to our roster as it's currently constructed.

But you can resort to ad hominem attacks in the absence of a valid rebuttal if it makes you feel better.

Enjoy the game.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-08-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have been bitching and whining since Mariner was hired despite his positive results, citing the reason that Mariner has resorted to route one football, yet you never complained about Winter's style of play in the past, despite his brutal track record. All of the sudden, now you're suggesting that Winter never had them playing the style he said he would? That's a first.

Who's the walking contradiction, and who's talking out of his ass?

As for Winter's tactical approach utilizing the long ball at times, specifically in the offensive third of the pitch, it was obvious that the team relied almost exclusively on lobbing balls in from the wings to create chances.

I never criticized long ball or 4-3-3, I'm just pointing out that Mariner's conventional approach is more suitable to our roster as it's currently constructed.

But you can resort to ad hominem attacks in the absence of a valid rebuttal if it makes you feel better.

Enjoy the game.
    And I won't complain about Winters or any other possession based style of play. The style is what I liked. Not Winters execution of it. Winter was the eventual problem...not his preferred style of play.

And please show me where I said that Winter never had them playing a possession based game.

You're the one trying to sell me on the idea that he played hoof ball like Mariner. I said he didn't.

And I agree...Winter had his team playing too many balls into the box but that's a far cry from playing the ball from the keeper or back line all the way up to the strikers like Mariner is doing.

As for Mariners approach...it's fine. If that's the way the club is going to go that's up to them. But it will cost them a fan in me and I'm sure many others.

If I wanna watch soccer where the primary method of defending and attacking is totally ignoring the midfield I can go watch it at my local park where there are 14 year old kids still being taught this archaic style of play.

I'd hoped for more from TFC but as long as they pander to people who are willing to trade long term success for short term moderate improvement (that looks horrid) they will languish between the bottom of the league and mid table mediocrity at best.

I will enjoy the game. If they start to use their midfielders for more than 5 and 6th defensive players tasked to kick the ball away to 50/50 balls.

If Koevermans stops scoring this team will stop drawing.

The guy is scoring every game and the best we can muster is a tie.

Question...what more can Mariner do get a win out of this team if Koeverman doesn't score every game?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question...what more can Mariner do get a win out of this team if Koeverman doesn't score every game?
    At least with us scoring a goal a match or so we can get a point now instead of the consolation goal in a 3-1 loss.

And the answer if Koerverman's has an off day is to use Soolsma.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I won't complain about Winters or any other possession based style of play. The style is what I liked. Not Winters execution of it. Winter was the eventual problem...not his preferred style of play.

And please show me where I said that Winter never had them playing a possession based game.

You're the one trying to sell me on the idea that he played hoof ball like Mariner. I said he didn't.

And I agree...Winter had his team playing too many balls into the box but that's a far cry from playing the ball from the keeper or back line all the way up to the strikers like Mariner is doing.

As for Mariners approach...it's fine. If that's the way the club is going to go that's up to them. But it will cost them a fan in me and I'm sure many others.

If I wanna watch soccer where the primary method of defending and attacking is totally ignoring the midfield I can go watch it at my local park where there are 14 year old kids still being taught this archaic style of play.

I'd hoped for more from TFC but as long as they pander to people who are willing to trade long term success for short term moderate improvement (that looks horrid) they will languish between the bottom of the league and mid table mediocrity at best.

I will enjoy the game. If they start to use their midfielders for more than 5 and 6th defensive players tasked to kick the ball away to 50/50 balls.

You stated that Winter couldn't execute his preferred possession based system. If the players couldn't execute it properly, what's there to like?

Furthermore, I never stated that Winter relied exclusively on the long ball as his overall strategy, I said that TFC utilized it as part of their overall strategy, and almost exclusively in the offensive third of the pitch to create scoring opportunities, which is accurate.

I don't think Mariner relies exclusively on the long ball either. He relies on it more than Winter did in the defensive end, but I also think TFC has been more creative on the attack under Mariner's tutelage, using the middle of the pitch far more often than in the past.

The major difference with TFC under Mariner other than his tactical approach is that they are much more responsible defensively, as Gazza pointed out. So even if Koevermans slows down, a competent defence will always give the team a chance to earn a result. I'm sure that others will eventually start chipping in on the scoring sheet.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-08-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone kindly link to the pregame thread?

Cheers,
    Martyn

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how's the weather down there today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any chance Soolsma will start?

If Henry starts I predict a shut-out for the good guys.
    Last edited by bigredone; 07-08-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#TorontoFC XI: Kocic; Hall, Eckersley, Emory, Morgan; Lambe, Dunfield, Frings, Avila; Koevermans, Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it'll be pushing close to 36 with humidity down there. Gonna be a sweaty, sticky match.

Not sure what to predict, but I just hope for a strong start from the Reds. Oh, and to not concede in the first 5 minutes. That'd be great.

TFC!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subs: Roberts; Henry, Maund, Stinson, de Guzman, Silva, Soolsma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone care if JDG is on the bench? I think Mariner is on to something by benching him forever.

Stream:
    http://atdhenet.tv/48020/watch-philadelphia-union-vs-toronto-fc

Radio

http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl/on_air
    Last edited by Richard; 07-08-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I care about the money he could free up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    #TorontoFC XI: Kocic; Hall, Eckersley, Emory, Morgan; Lambe, Dunfield, Frings, Avila; Koevermans, Johnson
    Weird. For all the talk of fixture congestion, injury worries and hot weather you'd think there would be some changes.

Who knows. Hopefully they start well and can get some relief through subs on their own terms.

I feel bad for JDG and soolsma.

They've gone from regulars to afterthoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Game is tomorrow.
    D'oh!! Every time we have an away Sunday game. It gets me every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I do too. I think at this point Mariner is like "fuck it" and play someone who has more heart and desire. Regardless of how much were paying him its a lost cause, they cant do anything with his contract now so i guess there just going to make him miserable for being useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird. For all the talk of fixture congestion, injury worries and hot weather you'd think there would be some changes.
    Agreed. I thought we'd see a few changes as well...

I guess he's going with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but you can runs guys out of gas quickly with this schedule/heat...

We can beat Philly - and can't get any lower in the standings so I hope the boys just goes balls out for a win...

Also, if changes are needed mid-match, I hope we don't wait too long to make them...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."