Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    We created more chances in those games than we are now incidentally.
    Disagree with this. Most of the chances we created then were hopeless chances. Back then we insisted on doing the tic tac 'beautiful' possession passing game as we approached the final 3rd, every time, thus allowing the opposing players time to track back,pack the box, and plug the middle then force us to work the ball wide for a cross which was always covered by defensive players (which always far outnumbered who we actually got in the box). Add to that almost zero movement from players off the ball and you end up with us getting our crosses easily defended and knocked out leaving us caught on the counter or we'd get a glancing look at a header through heavy marking and miss more times than not. Of course we HAD to do the same thing every time, as per the system, so that made it easy to defend us.

The more I look back the more I think all the 'positives' in our fairly dreary year and a half were just a bunch of smoke and mirrors combined with some good fortune here and there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Disagree with this. Most of the chances we created then were hopeless chances. Back then we insisted on doing the tic tac 'beautiful' possession passing game as we approached the final 3rd, every time, thus allowing the opposing players time to track back,pack the box, and plug the middle then force us to work the ball wide for a cross which was always covered by defensive players (which always far outnumbered who we actually got in the box). Add to that almost zero movement from players off the ball and you end up with us getting our crosses easily defended and knocked out leaving us caught on the counter or we'd get a glancing look at a header through heavy marking and miss more times than not. Of course we HAD to do the same thing every time, as per the system, so that made it easy to defend us.

The more I look back the more I think all the 'positives' in our fairly dreary year and a half were just a bunch of smoke and mirrors combined with some good fortune here and there.
    The stats say otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what happened to stricking the ball at the net just outside of the box, haven't seen a goal like that from TFC in a while, the occasional Free-Kick (which you can count on one hand), but nothing from open attacking play, there have been many chances to take a strike at the ball on net or into the area, but seems TFC players are actually afraid or forbidden to take a strike at net, that to me that is a disfunction of a specific style or system of play, some systems do not allow the player to take an opportunity when it is right in front of them. Just a thought for discussion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    And what happened to stricking the ball at the net just outside of the box, haven't seen a goal like that from TFC in a while, the occasional Free-Kick (which you can count on one hand), but nothing from open attacking play, there have been many chances to take a strike at the ball on net or into the area, but seems TFC players are actually afraid or forbidden to take a strike at net, that to me that is a disfunction of a specific style or system of play, some systems do not allow the player to take an opportunity when it is right in front of them. Just a thought for discussion.
    I agree we are probably the only team in the league tht doesnt strike the ball directly at the net and on target when doing so. Every opportunity we've converted comes from the wide area. besides Danny and occasionaly frings I dont think there is anyone in the starting11 that can strike from distance. we also lack a seasoned dynamic attacking mid who can take players on and open up space in the attacking 3rd with dribbling and vision(if you think danny is scoring now, he would be invincible with a grazzini-type)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BHTC Mike View Post
    This response implies that you're excited to watch "boring 4-4-2 hoofball" in sultry conditions against a bad opponent with the team primed for a let down. What gives?
    I support the boys by watching via free stream but give MLSE NOTHING! MUwahahahahaha. TAKE THAT ANSELMI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    The problem isn't that the players aren't being allowed to shoot from outside the area, the problem is that there are very few players who are able to. Most of the players who are capable of shooting from distance play close to the goal. Johnson and Koevermans have good long shots, but they never get the chance to use them up front. Lambe's got a good shot as well but he always insists on hugging the touch line where he cant use it. de Guzman and Frings have both shown willingness to shoot from distance but both of them have lost quite a bit of accuracy with age.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stats say otherwise.
    Links to stats please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Links to stats please.
    Pookie did a good piece on this:
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012..._paul_mariner/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are games that, if we truly are competitive, we must win. Teams immediately above us in the table, and teams that are struggling (like Dallas).

I'm thinking that the current trend will continue. Another draw. 1-1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bang on.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The other interesting stat is that Mariner needs 3 wins in the next 4 games just to equal Preki's first 10 games with the club (5-4-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, agreed that you can't win if you don't score. But we dominated at least the Chivas and Columbus games, not competitive in the "sense that we weren't utterly destroyed."
    Sorry, but on that we'll just have to agree to disagree. I would never characterize our performances in the Chivas and Columbus games as dominating. To me, those games looked like not so good (but not horrible) road teams managing a game, being happy to play on the counter, and asking us to come and break them down; especially after they took the lead. We couldn't and, until we resorted to a lot of direct longball, didn't create many legit scoring opportunities ourselves.

Again, maybe if we converted a few more of those chances AND snuck a winner in Salt Lake before their 3rd goal our record would have been 1W-2D-6L for six points. Improvement? I'm being as generous as I can and that's still what Mariner's managed to achieve in 6 games; four on the road. To some extext Mariner's record is a fluke and likely doesn't simply reflect his coaching: TFC had slightly turned a corner already in May, Koevermans is finishing a greater percentage of his chances, and 6 games is a statisical blip full of randomness. But the point I keep making, that TFC is putting themselves in a position to win league games, is really night and day stuff.

Enjoy it! Enjoy the fact that we're going into a road game wondering whether they can pull off a win that would have seemed unlikely two months ago rather than asking how many goals they'll lose by!

Listen, I want to see TFC play beautiful football too. But I think you need to walk before you run and that being competitive in the league while you work your way towards that is essential. Further, this is a tough league to stay on top in. The times where we assemble enough good players, all with the necessary technical SUPERIORITY (not just ability), to play pretty football and win? Those will be rare and special runs and should be celebrated. The times where we can't? Just do what you have to to stay competitive. This is a hard league to win consistently in but, logically, it should also be a hard one to lose consistently in! 6 wins out of 44? That's horrorshow stuff and if Mariner gets us to middle of the pack respectability - like Winter was getting close to in the second half of 2011 - he'll deserve his kick at the can next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    And let's not forget that Winter managed his roster to a 8-3-5 record in MLS and CCL through July till end of season last year with 8 mid-week games and travel across multiple timezones through the Western USA, Mexico/Latin America.
    What Winter doesn't get enought credit for were the two wins over Tauro. They weren't pretty victories in either case but the Panamians were a better team than they were given credit for and, IIRC, we were the only team to take 6 points off them. That, as much as the Pumas draw and win in Dallas, is what allowed us the chance to get through the group.

Of course, Winter might not get the credit for that he deserves but Preki gets next to no credit for ANY of his cup accomplishments. He had an equally good record in the Canadian Championship - our first coach to really cruise that - along with BEATING a Mexican team and eliminating a good Central American team over two legs in famously hostile conditions away. Yes, the loss to Aribe Unido (under some of the most dubious refereeing we've ever endured) sours his accomplishments but, when he was fired, we were in as good a position to advance as Winter was in our 2011 group after two games. We likely wouldn't have because late-2010 RSL were a far better team than late-2011 FCD but it's not like cup success saved him. Hell, compared to Winter he was actually managing to do all that while TFC stayed in touching distance of the playoffs that year too!

The problem is that too much of the message board analysis of TFC is based on ideology rather than evidence. Preki's team played "boring MLS hoofball" - even though I'll still assert that the win over Cruz Azul was the best I've ever seen us play - so results didn't matter. Winter's team played "attractive possession football" and thus could be excused for being out of the playoff hunt by early summer (or earlier) in two consecutive seasons. Both of them had success in cups. Both of them brought through a couple of different Canadian youngsters developed by the club. But one got fired before his first season was over (for a whole lot of reasons) while the other got a massive DP budget and an extra offseason to make the team worse.

The treatment of the two of them was completely incongruent and now some people are setting Mariner up for Preki-style revolt even though most of the media close to the team, including posters on this forum, are going to bat for him. Some of if it, it must be said, laced with out-of-date cultural stereotypes about British football that make no reference to Paul Mariner's actual playing experience in the UK or time as an assistant in MLS. It's offensive, stupid, and truly mindboggling that some people seem determined to cheerlead the same mistakes TFC has made in the past. You've said it yourself in a different context: this club consistently undervalues MLS experience, overvalues foreign pedigree, and underestimates the difficulties of being successful in an American league.

And some people can't even enjoy a five game league unbeaten streak, for the first time since 2010, in the process!

No excuses, just results.
    And the results are there! Not great results, but a hell of a lot better than we were used to!

Here's our league form guide under Winter all time:

L-W-T-T-T-L-T-L-W-L-T-T-L-T-T-T-L-L-W-L-L-L-L-T-T-W-L-T-W-W-L-T-T-T-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-W

(Bolded parts are unbeaten streaks of three games or longer.)

Here's our league form under Mariner so far:

L-D-D-W-D-D

In Mariner's first six games he's done something Aron Winter NEVER DID in 44 games! Fluke? Yes, but Winter had 44 games to fluke the same results!

And before you get there: yes, Winter did start with a nearly identical record. (More of those games were at home but that's being pedantic.) Yes, he did finish the year more respectably. But the vast, vast majority were not calling for his head at any point until we start poorly again this year! I was skeptical last year but willing to give him a chance. That was after 3-0 and 6-2 HOME losses. Even after the 0-0-5 league start I started a thread on U-Sector suggesting he should be evaluated over the next five league games. He went 1-0-4 with the only win coming on a last minute goal after two more home losses! One of them amongst the most miserable home performances TFC has suffered in years.

Look, wanting Tom Anselmi held accountable for the systemic dysfunctions in TFC is reasonable. Pitching Mariner in with that and throwing the baby out with the bath water isn't! Mariner might - MIGHT! - be an appropriate guy to contribute to finally getting this club going the right direction. We probably won't have much of an idea until after the summer when he's had more of chance to influence the roster and start building the team he wants. That's the chance Aron Winter was afforded THREE TIMES(!) before the axe fell and giving Mariner enough rope to get one transfer window is hardly asking for the moon. If he ever loses 9 games in a row or only wins 6 out of 44 league games watch how my opinion on him changes! Until then:

Forza Mariner!

Forza 4-4-2! (Or whatever formation keeps us competitive and gets results!)

Forza TFC!

newMARINERorder4life!
    Last edited by BHTC Mike; 07-06-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BHTC Mike View Post
    Sorry, but on that we'll just have to agree to disagree. I would never characterize our performances in the Chivas and Columbus games as dominating. To me, those games looked like not so good (but not horrible) road teams managing a game, being happy to play on the counter, and asking us to come and break them down; especially after they took the lead. We couldn't and, until we resorted to a lot of direct longball, didn't create many legit scoring opportunities ourselves.

Again, maybe if we converted a few more of those chances AND snuck a winner in Salt Lake before their 3rd goal our record would have been 1W-2D-6L for six points. Improvement? I'm being as generous as I can and that's still what Mariner's managed to achieve in 6 games; four on the road. To some extext Mariner's record is a fluke and likely doesn't simply reflect his coaching: TFC had slightly turned a corner already in May, Koevermans is finishing a greater percentage of his chances, and 6 games is a statisical blip full of randomness. But the point I keep making, that TFC is putting themselves in a position to win league games, is really night and day stuff.

Enjoy it! Enjoy the fact that we're going into a road game wondering whether they can pull off a win that would have seemed unlikely two months ago rather than asking how many goals they'll lose by!

Listen, I want to see TFC play beautiful football too. But I think you need to walk before you run and that being competitive in the league while you work your way towards that is essential. Further, this is a tough league to stay on top in. The times where we assemble enough good players, all with the necessary technical SUPERIORITY (not just ability), to play pretty football and win? Those will be rare and special runs and should be celebrated. The times where we can't? Just do what you have to to stay competitive. This is a hard league to win consistently in but, logically, it should also be a hard one to lose consistently in! 6 wins out of 44? That's horrorshow stuff and if Mariner gets us to middle of the pack respectability - like Winter was getting close to in the second half of 2011 - he'll deserve his kick at the can next year.

What Winter doesn't get enought credit for were the two wins over Tauro. They weren't pretty victories in either case but the Panamians were a better team than they were given credit for and, IIRC, we were the only team to take 6 points off them. That, as much as the Pumas draw and win in Dallas, is what allowed us the chance to get through the group.

Of course, Winter might not get the credit for that he deserves but Preki gets next to no credit for ANY of his cup accomplishments. He had an equally good record in the Canadian Championship - our first coach to really cruise that - along with BEATING a Mexican team and eliminating a good Central American team over two legs in famously hostile conditions away. Yes, the loss to Aribe Unido (under some of the most dubious refereeing we've ever endured) sours his accomplishments but, when he was fired, we were in as good a position to advance as Winter was in our 2011 group after two games. We likely wouldn't have because late-2010 RSL were a far better team than late-2001 FCD but it's not like cup success saved him. Hell, compared to Winter he was actually managing to do all that while TFC stayed in touching distance of the playoffs that year too!

The problem is that too much of the message board analysis of TFC is based on ideology rather than evidence. Preki's team played "boring MLS hoofball" - even though I'll still assert that the win over Cruz Azul was the best I've ever seen us play - so results didn't matter. Winter's team played "attractive possession football" and thus could be excused for being out of the playoff hunt by early summer (or earlier) in two consecutive seasons. Both of them had success in cups. Both of them brought through a couple of different Canadian youngsters developed by the club. But one got fired before his first season was over (for a whole lot of reasons) while the other got a massive DP budget and an extra offseason to make the team worse.

The treatment of the two of them was completely incongruent and now some people are setting Mariner up for Preki-style revolt even though most of the media close to the team, including posters on this forum, are going to bat for him. Some of if it, it must be said, laced with out-of-date cultural stereotypes about British football that make no reference to Paul Mariner's actual playing experience in the UK or time as an assistant in MLS. It's offensive, stupid, and truly mindboggling that some people seem determined to cheerlead the same mistakes TFC has made in the past. You've said it yourself in a different context: this club consistently undervalues MLS experience, overvalues foreign pedigree, and underestimates the difficulties of being successful in an American league.

And some people can't even enjoy a five game league unbeaten streak, for the first time since 2010, in the process!

And the results are there! Not great results, but a hell of a lot better than we were used to!

Here's our league form guide under Winter all time:

L-W-T-T-T-L-T-L-W-L-T-T-L-T-T-T-L-L-W-L-L-L-L-T-T-W-L-T-W-W-L-T-T-T-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-W

(Bolded parts are unbeaten streaks of three games or longer.)

Here's our league form under Mariner so far:

L-D-D-W-D-D

In Mariner's first six games he's done something Aron Winter NEVER DID in 44 games! Fluke? Yes, but Winter had 44 games to fluke the same results!

And before you get there: yes, Winter did start with a nearly identical record. (More of those games were at home but that's being pedantic.) Yes, he did finish the year more respectably. But the vast, vast majority were not calling for his head at any point until we start poorly again this year! That was after 3-0 and 6-2 HOME losses. I was skeptical last year but willing to give him a chance. Even after the 0-0-5 league start I started a thread suggesting he should be evaluated over the next five league games. He went 1-0-4 with the only win coming on a last minute goal after two more home losses! One of them amongst the most miserable home performances TFC has suffered in years.

Look, wanting Tom Anselmi held accountable for the systemic dysfunctions in TFC is reasonable. Pitching Mariner in with that and throwing the baby out with the bath water isn't! Mariner might - MIGHT! - be an appropriate guy to contribute to finally getting this club going the right direction. We probably won't have much of an idea until after the summer when he's had more of chance to influence the roster and start building the team he wants. That's the chance Aron Winter was afforded THREE TIMES(!) before the axe fell and giving Mariner enough rope to get one transfer window is hardly asking for the moon. If he ever loses 9 games in a row or only wins 6 out of 44 league games watch how my opinion on him changes! Until then:

Forza Mariner!

Forza 4-4-2! (Or whatever formation keeps us competitive and gets results!)

Forza TFC!

newMARINERorder4life!
    Great post! It says it all.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ Really? Ok. Forza Preki

W T W W T T T W

That's the benchmark
    Last edited by Pookie; 07-06-2012 at 04:41 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BOYS this is PHILY PRE/IN GAME THREAD.

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

W T W W T T T W

That's the benchmark
    Ah, but you forgot the rest of Preki's season leading up to his dismissal.

Forget benchmarks over a period of several games. In a couple of months, the new ownership group and the supporters will have a clear indication as to whether or not Mariner is capable of leading this team moving forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

W T W W T T T W

That's the benchmark
    I wasn't a fan but I was never comfortable with how he was let go. Especially after it was implied that he was pitched as part of player/staff revolt where management sided with the insurgents. His removal had as more to do with anti-Mo sentiment than it did with his results and we'll never know what he would have done with the team if he had senior management's full support and time to build on what he'd already accomplished.

I get the same feeling around Mariner already. To some, sans much evidence, he's a villain responsible for (at least) abandoning the 4-3-3 attacking football ideology or subverting it from the inside and a lapdog to Anselmi. Anger over that, anger over MLSE generally, anger over ticket prices... all of it's being dumped on him even if the results are improving.

That's all I'm saying: step back from the ledge. We're not losing as much as were and are picking up road points. The next step is winning our home games. It might all be an illusion and we could be right back in the crapper in a month. But WE DON'T KNOW. No one can predict the future no matter how much they might believe they can. All we can look at is the evidence going backwards. Until Mariner has enough of track record to be judged by there's no basis to make any evaluation.

The forza stuff is just to combat some of the deep seated cynicism. I want TFC to win. I want them to win in every game against every opponent they face. I wanted them to win under Winter and I want them to win under Mariner.

Funnily, I don't expect them to win on Sunday. It just seems like a bridge to far, Philly has gotten better, and we're bound for a let down. Won't stop me from bringing the nMo banner back to BMO Wednesday night though. He's already done enough to earn support for another month.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Ah, but you forgot the rest of Preki's season leading up to his dismissal.

Forget benchmarks over a period of several games. In a couple of months, the new ownership group and the supporters will have a clear indication as to whether or not Mariner is capable of leading this team moving forward.
    Fun aside, I agree that the long term should be the focus. That said, 0 confidence in current ownership to actually be able to set and evaluate progress against a long term vision/goal.

For that reason, (well and the fact that I am paying more than double what other MLS fans pay), I won't be renewing season tickets.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well there is one good thing about the complete inability to have a TFC discussion without a bang up fight over Winter/Mariner.

I don't think I've seen the word DeRo for a week.

Then again there may be other reasons for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well there is one good thing about the complete inability to have a TFC discussion without a bang up fight over Winter/Mariner.

I don't think I've seen the word DeRo for a week.

Then again there may be other reasons for that.
    I actually wrote that word in one of my posts today

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion the main reasons Preki was fired is that he was tied to Mo Johnston, and the league results took an abrupt turn for the worse.

Also, TFC had played some really boring football during some of the matches under Winter.

I'm not ready to give Mariner his coronation though. 7 points in 6 games is mediocre by MLS standards and wouldn't even get you into the playoffs. I'd like to see the results continue to improve (some wins would be nice), but I'd also like to see TFC acquire some better players under Mariner's watch before I accept him in his role.

---------

Now to stay slightly on topic, Pro Line is paying 3.60 for a TFC win. So tempted to take a shot on that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Koevs injured?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4396267/

Koevermans and Dunfield are doubtful for tomorrow. I would replace them with Silva and JDG in the starting lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about playing Lambe up front with Johnson? He was able to get a few goals earlier in the season. Or even trying Makubuya, who has been scoring goals with he reserves? I know both players are more wide forwards but I'd prefer that over having a midfielder up front. Unless he decides to play a system with only one striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AJAX TFC!!!! Are you still happy with Koevs tackle now that he is possibly injured?....................................sorry, had to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The long term should be balanced with the short term. Of course, it's very tricky to get the right balance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    AJAX TFC!!!! Are you still happy with Koevs tackle now that he is possibly injured?....................................sorry, had to.
    Assuming this is today, it looks like Koevermans is fine.

http://instagram.com/p/MyLtHTkpyV/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Thanks, I feel much better now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    What about playing Lambe up front with Johnson? He was able to get a few goals earlier in the season. Or even trying Makubuya, who has been scoring goals with he reserves? I know both players are more wide forwards but I'd prefer that over having a midfielder up front. Unless he decides to play a system with only one striker.

I think this is a good idea, if/when danny is injured or subbed. Imo lambe would be more effective up top tracking back than in the midfield role where mariner has been using him. Lambe's speed/eye for goal is being wasted.
    Last edited by DoubleUp; 07-07-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    hey, I just said that it was a good tackle. Frings' tackle vs Seattle was nice too even though he got injured because of it.

I don't think he was listed on the injury list, but that thing is usually a few weeks behind
    Last edited by Ajax TFC; 07-07-2012 at 01:10 PM.