Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PRE/IN/POST GAME TFC @ PHILY, Sunday, July 8th @ 4:00pm

TFC earned a 1-1 in Dallas, extending an unbeaten streak to five matches. Phily is coming off a upset victory over LA Galaxy on the road by a 2-1 score.

I think we will see another tie, 1-1
    Last edited by denime; 07-06-2012 at 05:52 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta win. 2-1.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

union looking decent since their managerial change as well. if DK isn't 100% I fear for our chances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-1 Philly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much pessimism in morning blogging!!!

I have no worries about this one. Either us winning or D.K. being 100%. D.K. wants to prove to Mariner he can play the whole game so a late goal from him is likely (if needed). I say 3 -1 for the good guys as others want a ray of the spotlight that D.K. has earned.
    The "we beat L.A." arrogance that caused us to lose the CCL (Ya, thats my excuse) is probably infecting the union.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-1 for the reds.

you can take your doop and shove it up your ass!
    oh you can take your doop,
    yes you can take your doop,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I have a criticism of Mariner thus far, it's been his rigid approach to the starting lineup lately despite the recent fixture congestion. I would like to see some squad rotation so the boys don't burn out or succumb to injury. With reinforcements like JDG, Henry, Soolsma, Silva, and Lambe on the bench, Mariner should be able to rest a few starters without compromising our level of competitiveness.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-06-2012 at 08:24 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's going to be about 31C, feeling like 44C with the humidex, at game time in Chester PA, with a 60% chance of thunderstorms. I hope the boys can keep up their semi-decent form, and that Mariner does some sensible squad rotation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The temperature and probability of thunder rises when Danny Koevs arrives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    If I have a criticism of Mariner thus far, it's been his rigid approach to the starting lineup lately despite the recent fixture congestion. I would like to see some squad rotation so the boys don't burn out or succumb to injury. With reinforcements like JDG, Henry, Soolsma, Silva, and Lambe on the bench, Mariner should be able to rest a few starters without compromising our level of competitiveness.
    A must agree...

Its been great watching the team compete and earn some points - and I believe in the 'earn the shirt' thoughts where if you're winning & its working keep it going...

BUT... The heat the lads are playing in, mixed in with travel, just must be sucking the water right out of them...

I know they're pro-athletes and have a physio & nutrition staff on hand to help, but our starting 11 must be expelling massive amounts of water, nutrients, and putting strain on their muscles....

Squad rotation, however unfortunate at times, is needed during these busy periods...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a victory is in the cards for the Reds, with this five game unbeaten streak they really have a chance to improve and get out of the basement, which would happen with a victory over the Union. So is anyone making the trek down to Philly for the game? I have a cheap mega bus ticket in hand but on the fence of actually going due to no other TFC supporters in general and the warning I have been given about the Chester area in general, which to me looks pretty scary.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the humidity becomes an issue, Danny Koevermans will just raise his hands and the humidex will f#ck right off. He won't say thank you. He'll just point and wink.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Philadephia team we beat at home earlier in the year was honestly one of the worst teams I've ever watched live. They'd have to have REALLY improved to have a chance in this game. I can see another Montreal-esque win tomorrow. Then the Union goes and signs Fabio Cannavaro....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ It won't be that easy. Philly has improved quite a bit since their coaching change. Imagine that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ It won't be that easy. Philly has improved quite a bit since their coaching change. Imagine that?
    As I said, they'd have to have REALLY improved. I'm going to be the optimist and stick to 3-0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my opinion but it seems he may be trying to pad his coaching stats right off the bat after Winter's firing by playing his best 11 more then they should, considering the crowded schedule.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Just my opinion but it seems he may be trying to pad his coaching stats right off the bat after Winter's firing by playing his best 11 more then they should, considering the crowded schedule.
    Sorry the crowded schedule is not excuse.

TFC played 7 games in May,7 games over 24 days,after busy April.

TFC will play 7 games in June/July in span of 22 days coming of 19 days off.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The Philadephia team we beat at home earlier in the year was honestly one of the worst teams I've ever watched live. They'd have to have REALLY improved to have a chance in this game. I can see another Montreal-esque win tomorrow. Then the Union goes and signs Fabio Cannavaro....
    For once, I will confidently predict that TFC will, with 100% certainty, not win tomorrow...

Because the game's on Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post

Yes, because four home games and three away games over 24 days is EXACTLY like two home games and five away games in 22 days.

Quit the sophistry. You can be happy about what Winter achieved in winning another Canadian Championship in May but he still lost the job because of the team's league form over the past season and a third. Even in May he lost more league games out of three, two at home, than Paul Mariner has in six (four, soon to be five, of those away).

It's over. Winter is gone and Mariner is in charge. The team's league form has improved. There's no guarantee it will continue and it's just as likely the team will go on another losing skid as it is that the improvement is sustained and Mariner will be under pressure before the end of the summer. Why not wait and see what actually happens rather than try and argue that a five game unbeaten run isn't improvement? Why are you insisting on making yourself unhappy when TFC is doing better? We're still Canadian Champions and we still get to play in the Champions League; neither of those disappear because Winter was removed. Now we actually have some league results and competitive play in away games mixed in. It's time to move on and see where this next phase of the TFC adventure takes us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BHTC Mike View Post
    For once, I will confidently predict that TFC will, with 100% certainty, not win tomorrow...

Ha! Shit, really? Been a while since we've had a Sunday game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said, they'd have to have REALLY improved. I'm going to be the optimist and stick to 3-0.
    Another three would be nice. There needs to be more balanced scoring in this lineup - Soolsma getting off the snide would help! Philly also has a big cup game three days later so they will have squad rotation issues of there own. Like TFC there only chance to play meaningful games would be a cup win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did not notice this either LOL. Awesome cause I would have had to miss it if it was Sat!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC played more games than any other team in MLS in the first three months of the season. In March we had a game every 4 days. In April a game every 5 days. Most other teams were playing once every 7 days. While other teams could ease into the season, set their starting 11, etc, TFC was already having to juggle the roster and rotate players. And some of those games were essentially playoff games. A lot of our early MLS losses came right after big CCL games. There's some context to how we got onto the losing streak in the first place that people tend to forget now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's some context to how we got onto the losing streak in the first place that people tend to forget now.
    And that's totally fair. There was some bad luck and injuries that were mixed in too. But none of it excuses an 0-0-9 start after a year spent rebuilding. For that sort of record to even be possible you've got to be worse than bad and TFC was only ever in position to even have a chance at winning one of those games (RSL away) in the final 15 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Did not notice this either LOL. Awesome cause I would have had to miss it if it was Sat!
    This response implies that you're excited to watch "boring 4-4-2 hoofball" in sultry conditions against a bad opponent with the team primed for a let down. What gives?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And that's totally fair. There was some bad luck and injuries that were mixed in too. But none of it excuses an 0-0-9 start after a year spent rebuilding. For that sort of record to even be possible you've got to be worse than bad and TFC was only ever in position to even have a chance at winning one of those games (RSL away) in the final 15 minutes.
    I would say we were in the mix against Columbus (should have won that game, Columbus were piss poor), Chicago, and Chivas for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say we were in the mix against Columbus (should have won that game, Columbus were piss poor), Chicago, and Chivas for sure.
    Yet, we only scored in one of those games and lead for about 30 seconds cumulatively...

You can't win if you don't score and don't lead. TFC were competitive in those three games in the sense that they weren't utterly destroyed, won the possession battle, and generated a few good chances in each game.* But they never put themselves in a position to win. That's a big, big problem! Even if they had knicked a goal late in any of those games it would have turned 0 points into 1 AT HOME! People were/are complaining about the New England result because it turned 3 points into 1 but TFC actually gave themselves a chance to earn 3 points. That's a dramatic difference.

*Much of which actually came from very direct longball play late in the game as TFC chased a result and abandoned build out of the back possession.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And let's not forget that Winter managed his roster to a 8-3-5 record in MLS and CCL through July till end of season last year with 8 mid-week games and travel across multiple timezones through the Western USA, Mexico/Latin America.

No excuses, just results.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Speaking of which, hoping for a win. Expecting a 2-1 defeat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet, we only scored in one of those games and lead for about 30 seconds cumulatively...

You can't win if you don't score and don't lead. TFC were competitive in those three games in the sense that they weren't utterly destroyed, won the possession battle, and generated a few good chances in each game.* But they never put themselves in a position to win. That's a big, big problem! Even if they had knicked a goal late in any of those games it would have turned 0 points into 1 AT HOME! People were/are complaining about the New England result because it turned 3 points into 1 but TFC actually gave themselves a chance to earn 3 points. That's a dramatic difference.

*Much of which actually came from very direct longball play late in the game as TFC chased a result and abandoned build out of the back possession.
    Yeah, agreed that you can't win if you don't score. But we dominated at least the Chivas and Columbus games, not competitive in the "sense that we weren't utterly destroyed." We created more chances in those games than we are now incidentally. Biggest difference is Koefs is putting them away now where he couldn't buy a goal early on.