Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    It goes both ways. The fluorescent boot guys also thrive on burning the defenders who can do nothing but "get stuck in".

Hard nosed players are most certainly needed. That's not the question.

The question is why do we heap so much praise on those guys who are a dime a dozen?
    I think because the majority of players in the world aren't the technically skilled type. Probably only 1 or 2 percent of players are that skillful and gifted that they can dribble around people for fun. There are hundreds and hundreds of Dunfields in the world, but only several players as skilled as Messi or Ronaldo or Pele or Maradona. So, if you have a player in your team that takes out the threat of one of the world's best players, you praise them for it. I know its "dumbing down the game" in a way - but if you are palying against a team that includes Messi - you FIRST work out how you are going to take his threat out the game. Do you double man mark him, do you get a guy to JUST follow him aroud the field as his shadow, do you always push him onto his "weaker foot" (he doesn't have one, so that wouldn't work!). If all else fails, your Dunfield/jones/Wise/De Jong* gives him a hefty reminder that he can't play pretty football in his pink flourescant boots without being tackled hard occassionally. You then praise them if they "take him out the game".

(*there's no way I'm doing a literally comparison of Dunfield to these others players, before somebody bring that up!).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think that's probably more my point. And I certainly recognize the need for a few work horses, but as you've pointed out: they are hardly a rarity.

Also think an over-emphasis on this workman like effort will yield an empty trophy case. Have a few players who are willing to do the dirty work, but don't glorify the whole process and have a team full.
    I don't think TFC have a team full. I think TFC have 1 or 2 workhorses like that - as does every team. And every team DOES need 1 or 2 of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    haha, I'm glad I agree with somebody on here for a change! We should have a lunchtime pint
    Yeah. Any time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I don't think TFC have a team full. I think TFC have 1 or 2 workhorses like that - as does every team. And every team DOES need 1 or 2 of them.
    I don't think we have a team full either... But when Preki was here, that's pretty much how we asked our guys to play.

And I agree, we need one or two players the other team hates playing against. Look no further than KC this season, their entire midfield is full of butchers, but they can also hold their own when attacking. I don't like playing a man down when we attack because we have one guy who's a useless putz.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a player does well, you praise him. If he sucks, criticise him. Whether hes a dime a dozen player has no bearing on whether his good play deserves praise or not