Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Again @ Red Rum: rather than just complaining about the situation and waging web wars on multiple fronts, try offering up some solutions.

Identifying problems isn't at all helpful unless you're prepared to help think of a way to fix them.
    This is one of my main issues here. Yell at me in the stands. Yell at me at the pub. Yes I do think it goes over the line when I have people coming up to me to offer support after seeing you act the way you did. A lot of people saw that as a threatening move.

But through it all, its complaints with no suggestion otherwise. The way to motivate people is not to stand in the middle of them and yell, but again that is just my suggestion about conduct, nothing more. Ending coversations with you buddies with comments like 'we know where to find you' comes across as pretty threatening.

For the record I would like to point out that Bluenose was 2 rows behind me when I was confronted in the stands, so he was there for one of the more volitile parts.

I will take RedRums observations into consideration, I may not agree with the method but there is a good message to encourage the group and its membership to remain vocal and visual supporters.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    You were yelling in his face to the point that two guys intentionally stood between you and Phil to create some separation. (cheers Mark and Dwayne)
    You may remember it differently, but for everyone that was there - you were well over the line. All of the issues aside, you acted with such disrespect toward Phil that you deserve none from us.
    I would also like to publically thank Mark and Dwayne for helping me out. To whomever was at the table that had to leave because of the yelling and intimidation going on, I am sorry you had to see that.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    You weren't there Geoff. You know me well enough over the last 5/6 years. Believe what you will my friend. I aint apologizing for dick, because I have nothing to apologize for.
    Wasn't Geoff standing in row 6 (on the side of the drum) the whole time? You know, like two rows back from where Phil was standing?
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    I thought the atmosphere was good. Why must there be a constant negative vibe around this team and its supporters?

What the hell is it that you who complain about the atmosphere want?
    i agree, i think we are our own worst critics, but ive been to games where we all went a solid 90+ only to hear "wow, you guys sounded like you were hardly there from when i watched it on tv!" from friends. as for the constant negative vibe, welp, nothing 6 winning seasons wouldn't help cure!

oh, and in other news, we're currently 2 points behind philly for last place in the MLS.

Many points made in your post. Too long to respond to each one, but I agree Phil and leadership owe me nothing. As leaders though they do however owe support as a whole everything, and in that criteria (imo) they fall short.
    I DEMAND A WHOLE EVERYTHING!!

there we go again with that whole "the RPB's owe everyone at BMO a good show!" song and dance. never get tired of hearing how we're responsible for all supporters. in other news, im staying out of this. i wasn't at the game on saturday (i was showing my girlfriends cousin around town while she worked), so i've got nothing to contribute about what happened.

what i am going to chip in on is that you've been bodogging the RPBs for quite a bit now, unless you'd like to contribute anything useful to the discussion i'd suggest you take up your discussion with phil in private. the exec and the banner team work too hard for you to be shitting on them, especially when you're going to compare all of us to your own personal standard which from what im reading looks like starting an argument during a match and being ejected from the grounds for bringing in a smuggled beer.

so again, this is not the place to air your personal gripe with the president and the current state of the RPBs. we have channels that we go through for that, and we go through those channels civilly.

you started getting into it here, and im asking you politely to either stop it, start being civil, or talk to the exec.

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Give away free baked beans at start of game.
    That might improve wind direction.
    i see what you did there.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    It felt quiet in the stands. We are also our own worst critics.

It can be a real challenge just making it out to games for some, so I still applaud the people who came out.
    I didn't feel it was that quiet. Just my opinion. If one expects to hear a song for 90 minutes, then sure it was quiet, I guess. I thought there was a good buzz in the stands. I too applaud those who came out, it was pretty much full.

We are our own worst critics to a fault. At some point in our history it just needs to be accepted that not everyone is on board with the song and dance routine. I'm not saying this is what you are saying, just an observation. To some, like me, it's unreasonable to sing constantly.

Also, I have said this before but I will say it again. The songs are getting stale. The Dichio chant was strong, because it's personal to us. Most of the rest are just duplicates of songs every team sings. How is that supposed to inspire people game in and game out? They're meaningless at this point. Fresh blood is desperately needed in the song and chant department if people are expected to join in on a regular basis.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh blood is desperately needed in the song and chant department if people are expected to join in on a regular basis.

^ I wish we could sing this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I wish we could sing this.
    oh shut your crap lousy face, i've been saying that for two years!!
    but i agree with chris on all of his points. when i say "full 90+", i don't mean singing for the whole game, but just generally being up, interested, and into it. not texting for half of the game and only looking up the jeer the opposing team for faking an injury.
    Last edited by __wowza; 07-04-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ yeeeeah. im not dealing with this.
    if redrum wants to continue the discussion then he knows how we can do that, until then we're getting back on topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It felt quiet in the stands. We are also our own worst critics.

It can be a real challenge just making it out to games for some, so I still applaud the people who came out.
    A little balance from an outsider who watches the game on TV ...but has been here for every major discussion since 2007: you still sound impressive on TV.

Despite early buy-in from hardcores having dwindled due to the team's woeful performances, the majority of the crowd was always dilettantes and casuals. So it was never as loud as Portland or Seattle, where they have fewer other major sports options. The south end is still loud as hell.

The hardcore still bring it. Yes, the song selection sounds like other parks now, but that's because they've caught up. You just need some new songs.

As for people behaving aggressively on the board, it's always been a problem, people choosing sides then defending them as if their own personal security (rather than just their humility) was at stake, even though it's a public board where the only real civil right they have is to be civil and be treated civilly.

It's been better lately, for obvious reasons. As a non-member, I don't like that so much of it moved into the RPB area, and I would suggest that doesn't help keep things cool with non-members, but it's your club, so over to you on that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    ^ yeeeeah. im not dealing with this.
    if redrum wants to continue the discussion then he knows how we can do that, until then we're getting back on topic.
    Que ?…

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go ask on their own board. Or better yet, go stand with them in 127 and contribute. Asking about what once was on a message board benefits no one.
    You could simply answer the question. From what I could see from 116, there was no sign of them in 127. Did they move? Are they boycotting again? Were they all arrested in Montreal or something? I don't see any reason why those of us who aren't in the loop, couldn't simply get the 411.

I was surprised how many were sitting in 115 and 116 ... I shuffled over a bit to where others were standing, so I wasn't standing in front of those sitting behind me; I've never thought like that before in a supporters section, unless there was a child or something behind me.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    A little balance from an outsider who watches the game on TV ...but has been here for every major discussion since 2007: you still sound impressive on TV.

Despite early buy-in from hardcores having dwindled due to the team's woeful performances, the majority of the crowd was always dilettantes and casuals. So it was never as loud as Portland or Seattle, where they have fewer other major sports options. The south end is still loud as hell.

The hardcore still bring it. Yes, the song selection sounds like other parks now, but that's because they've caught up. You just need some new songs.

As for people behaving aggressively on the board, it's always been a problem, people choosing sides then defending them as if their own personal security (rather than just their humility) was at stake, even though it's a public board where the only real civil right they have is to be civil and be treated civilly.

It's been better lately, for obvious reasons. As a non-member, I don't like that so much of it moved into the RPB area, and I would suggest that doesn't help keep things cool with non-members, but it's your club, so over to you on that.
    Good feedback and thanks for taking the time to point some of that out.

As stated earlier, we are our own worst critics, and it is very difficult to judge how effective the noise is. The layout and lack of roof make the acoustics very hard to gauge.

As far as the board, the effort is to bring intelligent discussion back to the open forum, just within the rules that we ask. Trolling and personal attacks are things that nobody enjoys. We are here to talk about TFC and supporter realated topics, we will strive to be the most open and inviting place. It always has its ups and downs though.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't feel it was that quiet. Just my opinion. If one expects to hear a song for 90 minutes, then sure it was quiet, I guess. I thought there was a good buzz in the stands. I too applaud those who came out, it was pretty much full.

We are our own worst critics to a fault. At some point in our history it just needs to be accepted that not everyone is on board with the song and dance routine. I'm not saying this is what you are saying, just an observation. To some, like me, it's unreasonable to sing constantly.

Also, I have said this before but I will say it again. The songs are getting stale. The Dichio chant was strong, because it's personal to us. Most of the rest are just duplicates of songs every team sings. How is that supposed to inspire people game in and game out? They're meaningless at this point. Fresh blood is desperately needed in the song and chant department if people are expected to join in on a regular basis.
    I agree with most of this.

The songs do get stale, and it feels like reading a script or playing russian roulette.....which song, ummmmm, okay TFC allez.

But when we get good new songs, they usually catch fast. Its always the same thing though, people have to know the tune and the easier the better. Long may you Run is a great song, but its not a well observed song therefore it takes more time. Throw a 'just can't get enough' out there and its carries across a large portion of the south in a matter of a game or two.

When I sit in 115, and I hear the guys belting new songs, I know they are catching. That has always been my test of proof.

Alas, all this loosing, the constant turnstyle at the manger & player position, the lack of vision from the team and PR has a toll. We can only hope they have turned some corner and give us some reasons to be happier in the stands. Poisitivity is a great building platform and quite frankly we dont have much to work with but we are finding it. Negativity only brings destruction, resentment and finger pointing. It can feul things to a point then it implodes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking to the feedback offered from jloome & Phil's comments about it...

Its amazing the difference 'listening' to the chants, to belting them out from 111-112-113 etc...

My seats are in 109... There are times I am in 112, most times recently in 109 for various reasons (none due to the group or anything like that)...

Some of the Champions League games, where we generate the most noise, and I'm in 112 - they sound like the quietest to me somehow...

Next match I'll be sitting in 109, singing along, but the noise level sounds twice what it did the match before - even though everyone inside 112 would be raving about how much better it was during the Champions League match...

Perspective is an amazing thing... jloome brings up the same type of point in regards to how it sounds on TV...

Like Phil says, sometimes we are our worst critics - and there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism but its tough to tell how we sound to the rest of the stadium, from inside sections delivering the noise...

Just my 0.02...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

The vast majority of member conversation still exists outside the members-only section of the board, so I wouldn't fret too much there. This was actually part of what spurred the moderators/executive to start trying to clean up the boards, and start taking harder stances with the people who abused the rules. Since those actions have taken place, the members-only section has gone back to being mostly used to organize things and discuss member affairs.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wooooow

Fuck I don't have time to read through all of this. RedRum, I don't even know what to say... Maybe we can chat in person. There has been much frustration over the years, and those who don't like the group, leave the group or go elsewhere. Simple as that. Life events also affect us all but Friends will always be friends. Nonetheless, The Red Patch Boys will always be here. Whether it's 200 members or a handful of ppl I will make sure of that. My brother was buried with his RPB scarf and may God be my witness my family and I will represent The Red Patch Boys until I die.

-FluSH
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ great post. I hit the star for that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_121 View Post
    C'mon. Supporting is serious business. It's more important than your job or your family
    Gonna have to disagree with that one big time but that's just me.

To quote the great Mario Ballotelli "When I score I don’t celebrate because I’m only doing my job. When a postman delivers letters does he celebrate?"
    Ballotelli celebrates goals all the time. Also, that is an awful comparison for many different reasons but then again Mario is as dumb as a bag of hammers so that's par for the course.

We need to be in the stands celebrating like we're about to win the league every game, even if they're never gonna believe us!
    Totally agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone here is worried about our atmosphere - turn on the Montreal game...

Brand new stadium, team not doing terrible (especially for an expansion team) and the stadium is 35% EMPTY...

And I'm not talking kickoff-empty or end of game-empty, we're in the heart of a 1-1 match...

I know its a weeknight, but YIKES! (Although, f*ck'em its Montreal )

I could always be worse...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    If anyone here is worried about our atmosphere - turn on the Montreal game...

Brand new stadium, team not doing terrible (especially for an expansion team) and the stadium is 35% EMPTY...

And I'm not talking kickoff-empty or end of game-empty, we're in the heart of a 1-1 match...

I know its a weeknight, but YIKES! (Although, f*ck'em its Montreal )

I could always be worse...

I couldn't believe it after all the marketing they had for the new stadium lol.

In all honesty guys it's sad, dis heartening and makes me gutted that there's such bitterness and ..... Just bullshit in the ranks of supporters, like cmon guys, drop the shit wether your bitter and a hard head stubborn fucker, let it go and come together like shit.

Im a stubborn ass to but sometimes no matter how frustrated you are for the love of TFC you have to give ER up, like shit the actual supporters left are the hardcore ones, non of these people who come to a game to chat to there friends about Real Madrid there favorite team and talk about work or a girl he fucked etc. fuck half these bastard don't understand the game, I watch the game and am predicting what happens (think cross to left side, it's crossed) shit like that.

Dont start turning now all the fair wether fans have left, band together guys

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wanted to say, we've been lousy for 6 years and yet still put a good amount of asses in the seats. Our attendance has dropped off, for each of the first five years we averaged 20k and it looks like this year we'll be somewhere in the 18500-19000 range. We definitely don't have the same noise we use to have but I strongly believe, with the SkyDome game as a reference, if we had something to cheer for we'd be loud as all hell. We have an incredible fanbase, we're loyal (to a fault) and we love this team.

Montreal's last three league matches have had a lower attendance than any TFC league game. Ever. By a lot. I believe our lowest was 16000? They only had 12000 tonight. They said soccer would never work in Toronto, they were wrong, its thrived.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    I am not going to comment on everything you've laid out in the quote post here Jeremy....but this point you make here... I don't know how this makes any difference to anything at all? I have been to away games 5 times over the years. Does that make me any less of a supporter? I am not sure what you are trying to prove by telling us that you have been to 25 away games of support? That doesn't show that you are better than any other fan or supporter in attendance or not in attendance.

TFC has fans/supporters that have never stepped foot inside BMO. There are probable people that have been to more games than you and you haven't bumped into them. By your logic they don't even matter...everyone supports in different ways my friend.....and I say friend because I have shared a beer with you at tailgates and on the road in the past.

I understand you want more, but not sure (in my opinion) that you are going about it the right way here....
    Perhaps Shakes himself can chime in and enlighten us as to what he has done to contribute to support. Chanting in 112? Showing up to banner sessions? Supporting away? Keep in mind he was the the one who made the obtuse on the internet remark. I look forward to his response.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Again @ Red Rum: rather than just complaining about the situation and waging web wars on multiple fronts, try offering up some solutions.

Identifying problems isn't at all helpful unless you're prepared to help think of a way to fix them.
    Solutions...now you are speaking my language. How about requiring members to do something aside from paying a membership fee? Contributing vocally in the stands. Attending banner painting sessions. Contributing to banner sessions financially. Attending away matches. Not saying everyone can do all those by any means nor would I expect them to, but do what you can. Especially the first point, there is no no excuse for standing in 112 and at least not doing that. Tell me I am wrong. Support is dying, but it wont fix itself unless everyone who calls themselves a supporter looks in the mirror and says "what can I do?".

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So a guy crashes a party and complains that the beer isn't cold enough... it may be true that the beer is warm... but that still doesn't change the situation...
    I could bother to respond, but to be 100% honest I put you in the same bracket as Shakes. Care to enlighten me as to what you, yourself have done to contribute to support over the last 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    you're wrong.

it happens in the members area.

for the MTL game at easter, the RPB made the largest group/bulk buy. When our members want to travel, we make it happen.
    I acknowledge that was an unfair statement on my behalf. Away support has suffered across the board as a whole from all supporters from all groups. For some economical reasons, maybe family commitments etc, hard to justify shelling out that kinda cash and time to get our asses handed to us and the team show us fuck all appreciation for it. There are many reasons. I get it. As far as the other points I made though I stand by them 100%. Props to usector who have their core guys at the front of 113 going every game for 5+ years without fucking fail.

Did you, or did you not get ejected from the stadium on Saturday because security caught you drinking smuggled-in beer?

Sorry, but if you're going to claim "90+, saturday included" then you need to answer the question.

You were yelling in his face to the point that two guys intentionally stood between you and Phil to create some separation. (cheers Mark and Dwayne)
    You may remember it differently, but for everyone that was there - you were well over the line. All of the issues aside, you acted with such disrespect toward Phil that you deserve none from us.
    Did you just call me out - in italics no less - for allegedy paying $2 for drinking the same beer that costs me $11 in stadium? And then call me less a supporter because of it?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is one of my main issues here. Yell at me in the stands. Yell at me at the pub. Yes I do think it goes over the line when I have people coming up to me to offer support after seeing you act the way you did. A lot of people saw that as a threatening move.

But through it all, its complaints with no suggestion otherwise. The way to motivate people is not to stand in the middle of them and yell, but again that is just my suggestion about conduct, nothing more. Ending coversations with you buddies with comments like 'we know where to find you' comes across as pretty threatening.

For the record I would like to point out that Bluenose was 2 rows behind me when I was confronted in the stands, so he was there for one of the more volitile parts.

I will take RedRums observations into consideration, I may not agree with the method but there is a good message to encourage the group and its membership to remain vocal and visual supporters.
    I am really trying to wrap my head around this statement. Others get banned for dissenting views or a little belligerent text (personal insults/name calling) on a message board but Phil would have us believe that I, if I am reading his post correctly - and frankly I can't help but believe I am not... Redrum physically threatened RPB President Phil on Saturday and is still allowed to post here at will. Phil. Is that the allegation you are making? Do you realize the absurdity and non-plausibility of your words? Do me favor other people and don't speak for him or respond to this reply directly. I expect - actually demand a response from him.

I would also like to publically thank Mark and Dwayne for helping me out. To whomever was at the table that had to leave because of the yelling and intimidation going on, I am sorry you had to see that.
    So I was in your bar with one friend, all your what... 40+ buddies there on the patio and inside as well, yet my alleged threatening you is your argument? If it wasn't a serious accusation I could laugh about it. Either way, apply any rational thought to the scenario and anyone can realize just how absurd it is. Look forward to your reply - and maybe even an apology for the smear. Won't hold my breath though LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    i agree, i think we are our own worst critics, but ive been to games where we all went a solid 90+ only to hear "wow, you guys sounded like you were hardly there from when i watched it on tv!" from friends. as for the constant negative vibe, welp, nothing 6 winning seasons wouldn't help cure!

oh, and in other news, we're currently 2 points behind philly for last place in the MLS. [IMG]file:///C:\Users\STEPHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

I DEMAND A WHOLE EVERYTHING!!

there we go again with that whole "the RPB's owe everyone at BMO a good show!" song and dance. never get tired of hearing how we're responsible for all supporters. in other news, im staying out of this. i wasn't at the game on saturday (i was showing my girlfriends cousin around town while she worked), so i've got nothing to contribute about what happened.

what i am going to chip in on is that you've been bodogging the RPBs for quite a bit now, unless you'd like to contribute anything useful to the discussion i'd suggest you take up your discussion with phil in private. the exec and the banner team work too hard for you to be shitting on them, especially when you're going to compare all of us to your own personal standard which from what im reading looks like starting an argument during a match and being ejected from the grounds for bringing in a smuggled beer.

so again, this is not the place to air your personal gripe with the president and the current state of the RPBs. we have channels that we go through for that, and we go through those channels civilly.

you started getting into it here, and im asking you politely to either stop it, start being civil, or talk to the exec.

i see what you did there.
    A passionate and good supporter that was just banned would articulate to you the straw man argument you just put forth. You call me out, then claim to stay out of it. I put you in the same category as Shakes and Oldtimer. May I ask you moderator Wowza, member for a year or so... what have you done to contribute to support for the last 5+ years?

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    You could simply answer the question. From what I could see from 116, there was no sign of them in 127. Did they move? Are they boycotting again? Were they all arrested in Montreal or something? I don't see any reason why those of us who aren't in the loop, couldn't simply get the 411.

I was surprised how many were sitting in 115 and 116 ... I shuffled over a bit to where others were standing, so I wasn't standing in front of those sitting behind me; I've never thought like that before in a supporters section, unless there was a child or something behind me.
    You are on multiple boards regularly. You know the score. You are stirring the pot and we both know it. Arrested in Montreal LOL, good one. Not going to take the bait and answer what is not my business to answer. You know where 127's boards are.

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    Wooooow

Fuck I don't have time to read through all of this. RedRum, I don't even know what to say... Maybe we can chat in person. There has been much frustration over the years, and those who don't like the group, leave the group or go elsewhere. Simple as that. Life events also affect us all but Friends will always be friends. Nonetheless, The Red Patch Boys will always be here. Whether it's 200 members or a handful of ppl I will make sure of that. My brother was buried with his RPB scarf and may God be my witness my family and I will represent The Red Patch Boys until I die.

-FluSH
    Appreciate your words and sentiment. From day 1 you have always had my respect. Don't need to say it, you know it.
    Last edited by RedRum; 07-05-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps Shakes himself can chime in and enlighten us as to what he has done to contribute to support. Chanting in 112? Showing up to banner sessions? Supporting away? Keep in mind he was the the one who made the obtuse on the internet remark. I look forward to his response.
    I could, except getting into a pissing match with you about what you consider "supporting" is exactly what you want. I'm also not quite sure why you're still hung up on my line about you being "obtuse", or what that has to do with this. You aren't interested in right or wrong, or apparently conducting yourself with any semblance of class. You're interested in a supporter dick measuring competition, and only that. As you said yourself - you've never met me. You can think what you like about me, and make your best guesses as to what I do every weekend. I expect no less.

Did you just call me out - in italics no less - for allegedy paying $2 for drinking the same beer that costs me $11 in stadium? And then call me less a supporter because of it?
    No. He called you out for lying through your teeth about going "90+ every weekend, saturday included", when he knows full well you got kicked out of the game. Perhaps you were singing in the parking lot.

I also suggest looking up what a "strawman argument" is, evidently for the first time.

Others get banned for dissenting views or a little belligerent text (personal insults/name calling) on a message board...
    No. No one gets banned for "dissenting views", and if you (as well as others) didn't have such an acute persecution complex, you'd realize that. People do get banned for repeated or serious breaches of conduct, in contravention of the rules they agreed to follow when they signed up here. Or as you spun it - "a little belligerent text". And when we take such actions, we gladly explain why - to the membership. The people we work on behalf of. You're a guest here, and you don't demand anything of us. Why you think your suspicion that you're a "better" supporter than me (or wowza, or Oldtimer, or ______) entitles you or anyone else to abuse those rules, is precisely part of the problem.

As for the incidents at the stadium, and at Shoeless Joes, I will let the people who were there speak for themselves (and speak they have). I will however, point out that your (current) unbanned status demonstrates nothing.

This will be my only post on this pathetic drama.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I could, except getting into a pissing match with you about what you consider "supporting" is exactly what you want. I'm also not quite sure why you're still hung up on my line about you being "obtuse", or what that has to do with this. You aren't interested in right or wrong, or apparently conducting yourself with any semblance of class. You're interested in a supporter dick measuring competition, and only that. As you said yourself - you've never met me. You can think what you like about me, and make your best guesses as to what I do every weekend. I expect no less.

No. He called you out for lying through your teeth about going "90+ every weekend, saturday included", when he knows full well you got kicked out of the game. Perhaps you were singing in the parking lot.

I also suggest looking up what a "strawman argument" is, evidently for the first time.

No. No one gets banned for "dissenting views", and if you (as well as others) didn't have such an acute persecution complex, you'd realize that. People do get banned for repeated or serious breaches of conduct, in contravention of the rules they agreed to follow when they signed up here. Or as you spun it - "a little belligerent text". And when we take such actions, we gladly explain why - to the membership. The people we work on behalf of. You're a guest here, and you don't demand anything of us. Why you think your suspicion that you're a "better" supporter than me (or wowza, or Oldtimer, or ______) entitles you or anyone else to abuse those rules, is precisely part of the problem.

As for the incidents at the stadium, and at Shoeless Joes, I will let the people who were there speak for themselves (and speak they have). I will however, point out that your (current) unbanned status demonstrates nothing.

This will be my only post on this pathetic drama.

- Scott
    Thanks for the clarifications Scott.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am really trying to wrap my head around this statement. Others get banned for dissenting views or a little belligerent text (personal insults/name calling) on a message board but Phil would have us believe that I, if I am reading his post correctly - and frankly I can't help but believe I am not... Redrum physically threatened RPB President Phil on Saturday and is still allowed to post here at will. Phil. Is that the allegation you are making? Do you realize the absurdity and non-plausibility of your words? Do me favor other people and don't speak for him or respond to this reply directly. I expect - actually demand a response from him.

So I was in your bar with one friend, all your what... 40+ buddies there on the patio and inside as well, yet my alleged threatening you is your argument? If it wasn't a serious accusation I could laugh about it. Either way, apply any rational thought to the scenario and anyone can realize just how absurd it is. Look forward to your reply - and maybe even an apology for the smear. Won't hold my breath though LOL.

Its hard when dealing with quotes and the mash of what was that night, I am sorry for not being more clear. It wasn't you, it was one of your friends that entered into the discussion. There is no smear against you in that regard, so I am sorry for the miscommunication there.

It was uttered and overheard by me, I will deal with that issue on my own.

My only issues are with the approach redrum, and we can agree to disagree. If you find it so painfull to be in 112, then either do something positive about it or don't go in there. Becoming and antagonist and using confrontational means is probably not the best way to achieve the results you want, especailly in the stands.

Its clear that you would run the club differently, you would demand bars of effort and force participation. This is where philosophies differ, and I know mine is in direct opposition to yours and the incredibly poor results from the team certaninly do diminsh the efforts in the stands and somewhat undermine me no matter how this is spun but here it is:

I think supporting should be fun.

If it is, then people will WANT to participate instead of being forced or intimidated into participation. When we all reminisce about the 'old' days, there was no one yelling at us to sing, no one demanding we pack into a car for 12 to watch the team, no one saying that you need to jump and go batshit crazy. We all do it because it was fun. Plain and simple.

I don't see much fun in yelling, demanding and guilting people into participation. Intimidating behaviour like that breeds angst, hostility, resentment and it will only consume people and take all joy out.

Someone pointed out that turning on each other in this manner is harmful and I agree. Its time to find the common ground in supporting and stop dwelling in the differences.
    Last edited by Phil; 07-05-2012 at 08:37 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahaha..... While we can both agree that the beer costs are a huge ripoff....

Scott already pointed out that that your statement of '90+' minutes doesn't hold up, so I'm going to leave that one alone. (but way to dodge the question)

I stand by my statement - a supporter shouldn't get kicked out of the stadium - they can contribute very little from the parking lot.
    Last edited by Parkdale; 07-05-2012 at 08:17 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RedRum should start his own group. Put on awesome TIFOs. Show the world how support should be done. Win over members to his group, when they see how great things can be.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A passionate and good supporter that was just banned would articulate to you the straw man argument you just put forth. You call me out, then claim to stay out of it. I put you in the same category as Shakes and Oldtimer. May I ask you moderator Wowza, member for a year or so... what have you done to contribute to support for the last 5+ years?
    you do know that the textbook example of a straw man argument is misconstruing what a straw man argument is, right?
    don't try and go chris on me, you're bad at it, and it makes chris look dumb because he at least knew the definition of the words he's using.

what i did, and what i will continue to do is call out your behaviour. i've asked you to be civil, and you seem to have a problem doing that. i've asked you to stop shitting on everyone about everything, on our board and you haven't. instead of offering constructive criticism, you're attacking us by holding us to a personal standard which i noted got you booted from the last game. i wouldn't be incorrect in the assumption that you got into an argument with phil and got ejected from the stadium, would i? im staying out of the argument about what happened during the game, because i wasn't there. this, well, i'm here for this, so im only allowed to hang you with as much rope as you're giving me, which you've been very generous with as of late.

look, i don't know you, i dont think ive met you, so i don't know if you're attacking me as a person or the moderator position i hold, but in case you hadn't noticed, we were all having a conversation until you up and came in guns-a-blazin'. i was going to take the high road here with you and not get into what defines a supporter or what makes someone an RPB (note: it's not just membership), but for the sake of my own personal pride.. you wanna shoot cowboy? fine, let's shoot..

i bought my membership when i could afford it (3 season ago, not 1 as you've pointed out) because i'm a student, and a rather poor one at that. my family didn't support me through university and they made too much to allow me to be eligible for OSAP, so for the first 3 years of this club, i wasn't able to pick up seasons seats, or membership. instead, what i did was attend the free events related to the club (IE: events put on by this group), while picking up whatever tickets i could afford at the time. i didn't know anyone here, and none of my friends seemed interested, so i showed up to a lot of these events by myself, including each of the dichio banner sessions, the AGM and the first town hall. you may've seen me, i was the only person there who had his hand up the entire time attempting to try and maintain some semblance of order in a room full of pissed off supporters. i was the last question, because when they wanted to pack up, people like parkdale shouted them down until i had my turn to speak, and i used that time to direct comments specifically to tom anselmi trying to curb the exploitation of groups like this. in the meantime, using my own money (about $120, which as a student put me out a textbook which i had to continuously checked out of the UofT library for 4 straight months), i purchased streamers during our first CCL game to contribute to the streamer shower. i wasn't sitting in the supporters section, so i organized it where i was sitting, the 200's, which spanned the first 3 rows solely by myself (with help distributing them from pookie). in the meantime, i attended all but one banner session for the galaxy game (which i, FYR and Furtado, designed), designed the banner for the santos game, created and printed THOUSANDS of chant books to distribute to a dozen or so games i attended in the first few seasons, joined the banner team, was part of the design team, taken the capo stand when i've seen it empty for the start of two matches this season (without the use of a megaphone or drum during the revs game) and im now a mod who spends his own free time DEALING WITH SHIT LIKE THIS.

long story short: i may not have done as much as you, but i've done a lot. what's more, im committed and never, not once, will i EVER lord anything i've done over ANYONE. as long as you're committed to this club, we're equals. i'm spending my time, and what little influence i have looking for solutions, instead of creating more problems.

now, i suggest you do the same, adhere to my previous request, or if things have gotten so bad for you, start your own group up with the dozens of like minded individuals you say you have out there and leave the board which we've extended to you as a courtesy. i'm sure it'd be great, you obviously have the passion.
    Last edited by __wowza; 07-05-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aside from my previous post, can i ask something?

redrum, what do you want?

you've hijacked a thread, turned it into a volatile place and started spewing shit at a bunch of volunteers who're trying to maintain an inclusive supporter culture. what did you hope to accomplish with this? what did you hope to accomplish in the long run with a group you no longer associate with? are you trying to get banned so you can wear it as a badge of honour to impress your friends?