Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PRE/IN/POST GAME_TFC vs NYRB,Saturday,June 30. 7PM

Two in a row for the first time this year,or even two years I don't remember anymore

NIGHT GAME ALWAYS GREAT ATMOSPHERE,BRING IT ON NRYBareshiiiite

3-2 TFC
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be great to have Nesta signed and ready to play for this game. We would have the Italians out in full force the night before the final.

2-1 TFC.hopefully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i Want us to win just as bad as the next guy, at the moment im pessimistic because nyrb sit tied in first.. but we are at home and have been playing some goal scoring soccer lately.. its really up in the air..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supposed to feel like 40 during the day with the humidex, gonna be a fantastic night since BMO is always 10 degrees colder than what's reported.

I hate all things sports in New York. Must destroy them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck the Dead Bulls and that fucking Henri, He touch so I plead to de referee, i must be fouled Eh, you give de free kick or de penality shot because I am great, no!! Then I fart in you general direction you Henglish Pig Dog
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 06-28-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: racist words not tolerated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Henry playing?? I remember hearing he was injured the past few weeks.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big difference between NY and Montreal, plus NY often has our number.

A tie, at best.

Still should be a nice evening out, no rain, and a warm temperature of 27 degrees, not too windy.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a little squad rotation is in order, considering the recent fixture congestion...

----------------Kocic----------------

Eckersley--Henry--Aceval--Morgan

----------------Frings----------------

Soolsma-----------------DeGuzman

-----------------Avila----------------

------Johnson-------Koevermans---

Subs: Dunfield, Silva, Plata, Lambe, Hall, Emory, Williams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Big difference between NY and Montreal, plus NY often has our number.

A tie, at best.

Still should be a nice evening out, no rain, and a warm temperature of 27 degrees, not too windy.
    we really need to stop being pessimistic in a parity league.

Not picking on you OT, but its a common theme around here.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    we really need to stop being pessimistic in a parity league.

Not picking on you OT, but its a common theme around here.
    After 6 years of abject failure, despite being in a parity league, I don't think you should call out anyone for being mildly pessimistic. The amazing thing is that there are so many of us still around, caring and watching this team. In most places that wouldn't happen.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think anything can happen. They are going to be fairly overconfident. Dane Richards thinks we only have had two ties this year and lost the rest of our games so they don't even have their facts straight. The NYRB may be undefeated at home but they lost 4 away so they are not invincible. TFC need to take it to them right away at the start of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    After 6 years of abject failure, despite being in a parity league, I don't think you should call out anyone for being mildly pessimistic. The amazing thing is that there are so many of us still around, caring and watching this team. In most places that wouldn't happen.
    yes! but really based on results from all MlS teams this season, on any given day any team can win. This league thrives off team spirit and motivation, the football comes secondary. The team that feels more like a winner usually scores before the other team realises whats going on.

Maintaining motivation=Winning!, especially in this league.

We can beat anybody if we believe we can......The league makes sure of it.

The past is the past leave it there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larson tweeted he expects the same starting 11 as in Montreal.

Kurtis Larson@KurtLarSUN
    Projected 11 for #TFC: Kocic, Morgan, Emory, Eckersley, Hall, Dunfield, JDG, Frings, Avila, Johnson, Koevermans

I am a little concerned about this. Toronto looked much better on Wednesday when they introduced Soolsma to the midfield and moved Eckersley back to RB. Look at the stats of Soolsma compared to Dunfield.

Soolsma - 45 minutes played, 11 passes complete, 2 unsuccessful, pass rate of 85%

Dunfield - 90 minutes played, 11 passes complete, 5 unsuccessful, pass rate of 69%

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter...tor/chalkboard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know who was playing which points in the midfield triangle after the subs on Wednesday? I couldn't tell from the cameras, and the announcers did a bad job of telling us what adjustments were made after the subs.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Larson tweeted he expects the same starting 11 as in Montreal.

Kurtis Larson@KurtLarSUN
    Projected 11 for #TFC: Kocic, Morgan, Emory, Eckersley, Hall, Dunfield, JDG, Frings, Avila, Johnson, Koevermans

I am a little concerned about this. Toronto looked much better on Wednesday when they introduced Soolsma to the midfield and moved Eckersley back to RB. Look at the stats of Soolsma compared to Dunfield.

Soolsma - 45 minutes played, 11 passes complete, 2 unsuccessful, pass rate of 85%

Dunfield - 90 minutes played, 11 passes complete, 5 unsuccessful, pass rate of 69%

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter...tor/chalkboard
    Agreed. I'm concerned about the general stats thus far under Mariner. Every game is about a mid-30% possession rate. They are completing on 60ish% of passes. They are getting outshot every game.

Sometimes the final result doesn't reflect that but common sense says that if you give the other team more opportunities with the ball, let them control the play and tend to give it away on 4 of every 10 passes, the odds are against you over the long term. Particularly against better teams like SKC and what we saw in Houston.

That said, a victory would be terrific.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news for TFC as Red Bull centre backs Rafa Marquez, Markus Holgersson (out) and Wilman Conde (doubtful) versus TFC:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-conde-travels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Good news for TFC as Red Bull centre backs Rafa Marquez, Markus Holgersson (out) and Wilman Conde (doubtful) versus TFC:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-conde-travels
    Another articles from today has Henry as 'Probable'.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...e-rivalry-wins

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Agreed. I'm concerned about the general stats thus far under Mariner. Every game is about a mid-30% possession rate. They are completing on 60ish% of passes. They are getting outshot every game.

Sometimes the final result doesn't reflect that but common sense says that if you give the other team more opportunities with the ball, let them control the play and tend to give it away on 4 of every 10 passes, the odds are against you over the long term. Particularly against better teams like SKC and what we saw in Houston.

^ +3! I'm also concerned about these stats. Someone will be sure to say: "possession % and passing accuracy aren't so important, as long as TFC is scoring goals & drawing or winning games." To that I would say: yes occasionally you can get away with low possession and with low pass completion rates. However, it's very risky. First of all, you should really have a stud defense if you're OK with the other team having the ball so much more -- and nobody ever accused TFC of having a stud defense. Secondly, you're really depending on the opposing team doing a poor job of creating & finishing goal-scoring chances -- as was the case for Montreal. (That's not going to happen consistently, especially when playing the better teams in the league.) Finally, you're depending on your strikers being hot & scoring lots of goals on a small number of chances -- again unlikely to happen consistently.

I just checked a few game stats for a few other teams. (Unfortunately, the team stats on the MLS website don't have these details, so I just checked the last 5-10 games for each team.) Generally, the best teams in MLS have a possession % close to or above 50%, and they tend to have pass completion rates of 75% to 85%.

In the 4 games under Mariner, these are the pass accuracy rates: 60%; 60%; 65%; 64%
    And these are the possession % under Mariner: 39.7%; 36.7%; 36.5%; 36.4%

Hopefully those numbers improve or TFC will continue to live dangerously. That's why it's important to play guys like Soolsma. And again, this isn't a defense of Aron Winter: I thought the pass accuracy and possession % were too low under Winter, especially for the type of game he theoretically wanted to play. That wasn't good enough. Those stats specifically have gotten worse under Mariner.

I think Saturday is a complete crapshoot, we shall see how it goes. NY haven't been too hot lately, and are only .500 away from home this season (despite being close to the top in the Eastern standings). Hopefully DK and RJ can bag a couple, and the team can hold on for a result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunfield is giving me a headache... We usually have 30% ball possesion because duncefiled keeps hoofing the ball to nowhere.Seriously, Mariner needs to play Soolsma or Lambe on the right midfield or else we're going to see some hoofball like the game against New England.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am actually excited about a game!

My $.02, 2-1 for TFC!!!

Danny for one and Henry with a header off a corner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

We were losing with 60% possession and tying/winning with 40%

Only stat that matters is the score at the end of the game!

Yay, weekend of football!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ We almost never had 60% possession.

Read my post, and compare TFC to other teams in the league. It's not very likely that we will get consistent results with possession of 36% to 39%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heath Pearce loves Toronto

Heath Pearce (@HeathGPearce)
    2012-06-29 2:37 PM
    Off to Toronto for a weekend of soccerrr. Game tomorrow night vs. toronto FC. Love the city of TO
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love you too Heath! Who's Heath Pearce?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Love you too Heath! Who's Heath Pearce?
    Plays for the New Jersey Energy Drinks

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Heath Pearce loves Toronto

Heath Pearce (@HeathGPearce)
    2012-06-29 2:37 PM
    Off to Toronto for a weekend of soccerrr. Game tomorrow night vs. toronto FC. Love the city of TO
    For Your Eyes Only - It's why most athletes love TO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    ^ +3! I'm also concerned about these stats. Someone will be sure to say: "possession % and passing accuracy aren't so important, as long as TFC is scoring goals & drawing or winning games." To that I would say: yes occasionally you can get away with low possession and with low pass completion rates. However, it's very risky. First of all, you should really have a stud defense if you're OK with the other team having the ball so much more -- and nobody ever accused TFC of having a stud defense. Secondly, you're really depending on the opposing team doing a poor job of creating & finishing goal-scoring chances -- as was the case for Montreal. (That's not going to happen consistently, especially when playing the better teams in the league.) Finally, you're depending on your strikers being hot & scoring lots of goals on a small number of chances -- again unlikely to happen consistently.
    Well, TFC is digging itself out of a hole, so right now there isn't much point in comparing us to the best teams in the league. And for the bottom half of the league, yes, you can consider that they will do a poor job of creating and finishing. That's what other teams were counting on from TFC and it led to 9 straight losses in the league.

It might be interesting to see if any of these stats are affected by the scoreline. For the first 9 games didn't TFC have the lead for something like 5 minutes?

What we need to see is if TFC is headed towards the top half of the league or not. Right now it's too soon to tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    For Your Eyes Only - It's why most athletes love TO.
    Oh my bachelor party....

I'll never forget that afternoon.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post

Possession under Winter was about 47%. (on average)

You are right, the score is the most important stat.

However, over time, those stats will spell out a set of conditions that are not condusive to winning and ulimately contending for a Cup. If you give up more shots, have the ball less and give it up quite a bit, that is going to bite you in the ass over the long run.

Not saying at all that Mariner can't improve them though I am concerned that each of the 4 games thus far as resulted in a very similar storyline as far as the stats go.

We have not outshot a single team. We beat MTL. But so did Winter's squad (1-1-1 against Impact). We tied a 14th place NE club and gave up 3 to Houston. We lost to a better side in SKC by 2 and it could have been 6 if they could have finished.

This weekend is going to be a difficult game and I am crossing everything that I've got that our Reds can pull it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post

Yes the score is the most important part of the game. Looked what happened to the score in the second half against Montreal when Soolsma was introduced and Eckersley was moved back to his natural position. I was using stats to back up my assertion that Soolsma made more of a positive contribution than Dunfield did playing the entire 90. I think it shows that Soolsma deserves a start ahead of Dunfield.

Now keeping the score in mind, what happened in the two previous games when Dunfield was left in the midfield with Lambe and Silva? The team booted the ball pass the midfielders or the midfielder easily gave up possession and the team gave away a two goal lead.

Three games isn't enough to judge things on but I don't like the trend that is forming.