View Poll Results: What would you do with JDG?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Petition for a 4th DP slot or try and vacate one to retain him as DP

1 0.56%
  • Sign him at a pay rate of 200K-300K (assuming he would)

82 45.81%
  • Sign him at a pay rate of 100K-200K (assuming he would)

58 32.40%
  • I would not resign him at any wage.

38 21.23%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JDG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default JDG

Assuminging the Nesta deal which turns into DP status in 2013 is true.

What would you do with JDG with the following options? (see poll)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote that this poll needs a poll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I vote that this poll needs a poll.
    I guess you're one of them folk who don't realize the thread is posted before you get to choose the poll options.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I know, but I got in before the poll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG for $200K a year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    JDG for $200K a year.
    That's exactly what I was thinking as well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robbo-level wages (up to $250k) is fair.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yes I know, but I got in before the poll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's Nesta?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Who's Nesta?
    He authored the book "Where's Ronaldo?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is worth $400k, just NOT a DP slot.

Thing is with players, a LITTLE better is a LOT more money. He is an amazing player, people get mad when he makes those shots from outside the box. ANYONE who knows the game knows he sees a hole and tries for it.

He is an excellent defensive mid, we would be hard pressed to have a for real replacement for him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I chose 100-200k. It's not that I don't think he's worth the next bracket but he got DP money he didn't deserve. Even it out a bit.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd offer JDG a 2-3 year contract extension for 300K. I think he is definitely still worth that cap hit, but not at the cost of a DP slot.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, at non-DP money, definitely. Playing beside Frings and in front of Nesta makes JDG that much better, too. It also keeps Dunfield out.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shocked at the early results of this poll. Keeping him, at any price, is a huge mistake.

It may be that he can be an effective MLS player at those wage rates (I am not sure, seems to me they're not paying $200K for back passes and square balls from MFs anywhere in MLS, but I digress) .... but sadly, it can only be somewhere else.

I think there are almost no examples in sports of guys taking massive pay cuts and being productive for the same team. There is always too much baggage and history.

In this particular case, more than $5 million got flushed mostly down the toilet. He's been paid 10x what he is worth. The opportunity cost of that is just too painful to even think about. It's best to move on.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-28-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, I'd rather have Dunfield playing that JDG, and Dunfield is on tiny wages compared to JDG. Other comparable (and better) DM's like Alonso in the league are on a fraction of what JDG is making. It proves that you can get a decent DM without paying 2 million a season. So for that, I think JDG's days as a TFC player are numbered, and there is no way he would accept going from earing 2M a season to 200k.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

JDG is still a much better player than Dunfield.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    lightyears better than Dunfield - i'd happily have JDG at $300K

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Technically yes. But JDG just hasn't done anywhere NEAR enough at any point in his TFC career. Plus he's eating up a massive amount of cap space that we could use in other areas of the field. If JDG vanished today and we had to play Dunfield the rest of the season, we woul'dn't miss much and Dunfield would easily account for JDG's loss.

(FYI if JDG does vanish today, please don't get the cops calling my house, I'm just giving an example, I'm not going to kidnap the guy! )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    lightyears better than Dunfield - i'd happily have JDG at $300K
    Better yes, but in my opinion definitely not "lightyears" better.

The amount of times I've shouted at JDG for passing the ball to nobody or fouling in a horrible and unsafe position is much more than I've shouted at Dunfield this last season! JDG is no better tackler than Dunfield, that's for sure. (having said that, neither are great at it!).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His club play has been disappointing, especially with comparissons to recent Canadian games, but he's been better since Frings has arrived. Playing with Hutch definitally helps him with Canada, and now Frings is doing the same. I agree with the sentiment mentioned above that our midfield would have a hole in it should JDG leave. It would be nice if he resigned for 200-300k, but who would take a paycut of that magnitude. 4th DP slot seems like a stretch, but not out of the question with the rumblings around LA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I look at JDG, I don't look at him as a player worth 1.9 mil per yr. I look at him as a player worth 350k cap hit per year and a DP spot.

and IMO JDG hasn't done enough to warrant another year as DP. Avg MLS DM and for what he brings to the table, you can find players who can do the same for 150k-200k per year. At 31, JDG will be slowly but surely start declining
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    To me, I'd rather have Dunfield playing that JDG, and Dunfield is on tiny wages compared to JDG. Other comparable (and better) DM's like Alonso in the league are on a fraction of what JDG is making. It proves that you can get a decent DM without paying 2 million a season. So for that, I think JDG's days as a TFC player are numbered, and there is no way he would accept going from earing 2M a season to 200k.
    He might since no other team would pay him more than 200k to play either. If he can find a team that's willing to pay him that, then good for him. But I have a feeling that it's either take TFC's contract offer of 200k, or don't make any money as a free agent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Shocked at the early results of this poll. Keeping him, at any price, is a huge mistake.

It may be that he can be an effective MLS player at those wage rates (I am not sure, seems to me they're not paying $200K for back passes and square balls from MFs anywhere in MLS, but I digress) .... but sadly, it can only be somewhere else.

I think there are almost no examples in sports of guys taking massive pay cuts and being productive for the same team. There is always too much baggage and history.

In this particular case, more than $5 million got flushed mostly down the toilet. He's been paid 10x what he is worth. The opportunity cost of that is just too painful to even think about. It's best to move on.
    I can't agree more. I couldn't believe the results of this poll. Public opinion of JDG clearly fluctuates hugely.

People on this board are willing to keep JDG as one of the highest paid DM's in the league? After three years have we really not seen enough? There are still people buying in to the fact the he just needs better players around him? Colour me flabbergasted.

Let's take a look at the salaries of other top DM's in the league:

Osvaldo Alonso - $185k
    Kyle Beckerman - $311k
    Jeff Larentowicz - $206k

JDG is nowhere NEAR as good as any of these but people want pay him in that range? Hell Patrice Bernier has performed more for MTL already and he makes $150k. I want to know what JDG has accomplished in his time here that he'd be worth that much money. Like are there any facts and statistics that support keeping JDG at a huge salary? Just because he's not one of the worst players on our team doesn't mean we should break the bank to keep him in a salary cap league. Signing JDG was one of the worst moves this club has made. He's had ample opportunity to prove himself but it's clear by now that he needs to go.

CSN had a great article that highlighted the extremely poor MLS talent identification TFC has had. I'm starting to think the fans are becoming susceptible to this as well by highly overrating mediocre players on a shitty team.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200K-300K for a guy his age with his output? no thanks. there's guys that do much more for much less, younger ones at that!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much did Dan Gargan make here? Offer him that. Take it or leave it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's the "screw both, offer DeRo DP money. Mariner would drool his effing head off with his long ball approach with him" option?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Where's the "screw both, offer DeRo DP money. Mariner would drool his effing head off with his long ball approach with him" option?
    I will consider that in my next poll.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who know me...know my opinion on JDG I want him to stay, but like most non DP....money wise I am not sure what to pay him....as in my opinion with him in our lineup with Frings and Nesta makes us a much better squad. One only needs to look at the collapse of the Houston and New England matches as to what happens in this system when he exits the game.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted for the do not resign option. Simply because in my opinion he was a rush of a signing, pressured by the fans who wanted a canadian designated player, and he was pushed. He's also the last MoJo Era player remaining (Frei? Cann?) that I would like to see moved. IMO he also took a fairly long time to adjust, and the only time he contributed very much was in the end of last season. I wouldn't complain having him for around $150,000, most definitely not more then $180,000 but I wouldn't complain if he was gone.