Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Code Red View Post
    Well, that's that. Looks like the Impact are poised to become the Italian NT.
    Consider that Toronto FC doesn't typically leak things like this and Montreal have always been very, very public/open with their player intentions and the picture becomes a little clearer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Update:

Alessandro Nesta was reported as being a guest of Toronto FC. He was not. He was invited as a guest of Montreal's. He sat in Saputo's guest box.
    Paul Mariner being the highest member of management travelling to Montreal meant he would have been awful lonely as a guest of Toronto FC's.

Junior Burgos' release does not open enough cap room for Nesta.

He might have been there to support Di Vaio, though that's just me speculating.
    Does this cue the Duane Rollins to eat crow thread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if those Shevchenko rumours had any ground aswell then...
    Can't hurt, not to sure about having all these designated players at such an old age.

1. Nesta (36) (<< nevermind rumor seems a bust)
      19 March 1976
    2. Frings (35)
      22 November 1976
    3. Koev (33)
      1 November 1978

How many years do these guys have in the tank left? I don't have the confidence in our current management to think we have a proper long-term plan to replace these men.

In two or three years. (two most likely) who replaces Nesta to play beside a matured Henry?
    In a year or two who replaces Frings when he returns to Germany after retirement? Are we producing any holding midfielders as of now? Are we going to purchase somebody?
    In up to what, three years when Koevermans can't stay fit anymore who plays striker? What are we producing that way? Whats in our Academy.

I would prefer to have domestic replacements, rather then shopping abroad for replacements. What does everybody think about the issue of having such aged Designated
    Players?

Edit:
    Obviously ruling out Nesta. Question remains valid however. Id like to see us using that young designated player rule to our advantage or perhaps leaving the designated player slot open and spreading the $300k cap hit amongst several players.
    Last edited by West220Side; 06-28-2012 at 04:54 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a matter of his source's word over mine at this point.

Saputo links his team (single owner) to a new player every week it seems. Yesterday, they were linked to Clarence Seedorf in a Dutch paper.

Toronto FC don't, because it's a corporation.

Also, if TFC wanted to sign a player, why would Toronto FC bring him to Montreal if not to sign/play? It seems like a waste of time/resources.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

Alessandro Nesta was reported as being a guest of Toronto FC. He was not. He was invited as a guest of Montreal's. He sat in Saputo's guest box.
    Paul Mariner being the highest member of management travelling to Montreal meant he would have been awful lonely as a guest of Toronto FC's.

That was the one weird thing in Rollins report. Why would Nesta be a guest of TFC, but be sitting with Corradi and Ferrari?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consider that Toronto FC doesn't typically leak things like this and Montreal have always been very, very public/open with their player intentions and the picture becomes a little clearer.
    Who needs Nesta when you have Aceval on the bench?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bloggers chasing rumours is a bit foolish I think. With the extremely poor football writing in the newspapers, I would rather see someone write really good articles about the team than try to prove their "insidedness" by throwing a dart and getting a rumour right. Let your writing speak for itself. IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't believe i got sucked into another "so and so to tfc" rumour from a blogger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    look it up, simply more than 1 and definitely a small number..........blabla
    It's really subjective and how it's phrased in the sentence, but I'm personally of the belief that couple would be used to define 2 and use of few would imply more, but not quite several.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane Rollins and Kurt Larson are good journalists who cover the footy beat and have brought a lot of insight into the local scene which in my mind has been undeserved at times. Canadian Soccer News, Red Nation Online etc have found a good spot in the world of footy journalism to call there own. Chasing stories is the nature of the buiz and sometimes you get it right, other times wrong and then pieces of something different to come.

I always have believed that when a writer is having a story pushed on them or a something told to them, there is an agenda, an angle per say and it is their job to separate the fact from fiction.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cap room in MLS is always a mystery, but wouldn't TFC have cap room from releasing Caicedo before the season started?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    Duane Rollins and Kurt Larson are good journalists who cover the footy beat and have brought a lot of insight into the local scene which in my mind has been undeserved at times. Canadian Soccer News, Red Nation Online etc have found a good spot in the world of footy journalism to call there own. Chasing stories is the nature of the buiz and sometimes you get it right, other times wrong and then pieces of something different to come.

I always have believed that when a writer is having a story pushed on them or a something told to them, there is an agenda, an angle per say and it is their job to separate the fact from fiction.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

Do you guys remember this post from 117 on June 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    Montreal will be signing two DPs in the near future probably with the next two weeks. A person I trust told me that the L'Impact will be signing Nesta and Seedorf.

Personally I like the idea of signing Seedorf, but the signing of Nesta is a head scratcher as he has has missed significant time over the past couple of year. He can't seem to stay healthy, but of he can the combo of him and Ferrari in the middle they will have the best defense in the league.
    http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showth...s-thread/page4
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    That was the one weird thing in Rollins report. Why would Nesta be a guest of TFC, but be sitting with Corradi and Ferrari?
    Perhaps because they are friends / colleagues from Serie A? Also, I doubt Toronto FC has a box at Le Stade du Fromage. I'm not saying Armen is wrong or that Duane is wrong. I'm just pointing out a reasonable possibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh brother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like Poppycock to me

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be something if he not only doesn't sign with us, but signs with MTL

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Does this cue the Duane Rollins to eat crow thread?
    Too soon.

And a bit harsh. I get the guy's position. Busting your hump to get a story, trusting your sources and rushing to be the first to get it out there - all in the name of credibility sold as journalism... only for it all to turn to shit. And when you turn out to be the only source you have to ask yourself why you bother, as everyone who quoted your story hangs you out to dry.

I know I'd be pissed.

Anyway, let's see how it all shakes down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This signing would be brilliant if it happens. Experienced defender that would be a starter for AC Milan next year if he wanted to. A guy who just did a solid job marking Messi over two games. Yes he is older, but even if we got two years out of him it would be fantastic, and the experience that Henry would pick up playing with him an training with him would be invaluable.

Also - I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Milan Lab. It is the scientific arm of AC Milan and one of their focuses is extending the playing careers of players. They are revolutionary and what they are doing is prolonging the careers of player. They are one of the major reasons that Maldini played, for Milan, until he was 40. United worked with Milan Lab and credit what they learned from them with prolonging the careers of Giggs and Scholes. Now that's no guarantee that Nesta is going last that many more years, but Milan really are changing the game in this regard.

The other thing worth mentioning. I can see TFC pursuing him very aggressively. We have a huge Italian community in this city, we need to get people back into BMO, and this guy is obviously an Italian legend.

That said, watch him sign for Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No thanks. Please grow a team organically like RSL did. Don't need an old broken player who will be here for a bit. Need a CB to build with long term.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are more concerned with getting a story out first rather than getting the story right, you should at least be able to handle the much deserved criticism that comes your way.

I figure now i won't get excited about tfc news until reputable people have confirmed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    If you are more concerned with getting a story out first rather than getting the story right, you should at least be able to handle the much deserved criticism that comes your way.

I figure now i won't get excited about tfc news until reputable people have confirmed it.
    This might happen yet. Burgos doesn't clear enough cap space, except that only a small portion has to go against the cap if TFC is allowed to use league allocation money. And it makes sense for him to visit friends in Montreal even if he were coming here.

As for the reporting issue, I've done it for a living for 23 years and can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten a prediction wrong, and that's among literally thousands and thousands of stories. Part of the issue is that sports reporting has come to rely on anonymous sources, which both gives reporters a lot of leeway to make up shit and quote a "source" they could never produce if actually hauled into court, and makes it easy for malicious "sources" to dump on them. Anonymous sources should be limited to serious whistleblowers, not casual sports stories. It undermines credibility.

But here's hoping Rollins is right, as we could use the leadership.
    Last edited by jloome; 06-28-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane Rollins. Enough said.

Let's move on.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post

Pretty much

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope this very unlikely deal comes true (a non-DP first season for a 36 year old? Come on). Meanwhile, I'm currently bedridden, recovering after being crushed by the Duane Rollins-sized grain of salt required to believe this story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and this is why you don't trust bloggers.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nesta to Montreal makes much more sense. *sigh*

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Ha, so there's your price increase for next year!
    Give me a winning team and I will pay.

Losing team, I won't, even with a discount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can blog too. Rooney went to LA recently. Gonna sign any day now. A bird told me. He comes to my yard daily so I trust him.

Get me real confirmation. None of this third-party crap. First hand account or don't risk it. One of the first things I was taught in journo school.

Why hasn't anyone else reported, other than a blog?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane Rollins is pretty good about DD

He is also a pretty smart guy when it comes to soccer, even if most don't agree. (myself often included, and I almost always eat my words)

Only thing he is likely guilty of is excessive pessimism, which he shares with half the people on this board.