Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Update: Nesta Expected to sign with TFC, signs for Montreal instead

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, he ain't no spring chicken.
    And he's had some injuries.
    But if he's in good shape, and willing to play,
    He has to be a step up from what we've got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. According to the article, there are several MLS sources that have inidcated that the deal is imminent, and it is structured to graduate to a DP level contract in 2013 .

Even at 35, Nesta could provide quality and leadership on the backline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It certainly couldn't hurt

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn.

Hoping to break this one. Nesta's signing is almost done, from what I've heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ll, well, well......cue Little Italy to come out in droves..... I like this move....older, but he does offer some much needed leadership at the back. With the league play pretty much a write off...barring a miracle...hopefully he can help us in CCL play. Maybe we can get that elusive away win at Santos. I can dream can't I.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone notice how much ferrari was missed by limpact last night??

well nesta is 5 times better than ferrarri, i certainly hope this is true as Nesta still has a few seasons left in him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    anyone notice how much ferrari was missed by limpact last night??

well nesta is 5 times better than ferrarri, i certainly hope this is true as Nesta still has a few seasons left in him
    At 36 with injuries in recent years, I think a "few years" is very hopeful thinking.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be nice to get Thiago Silva instead but still a big boost (I hope)

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry man - that links to an article by Duane Rollins - have you got anything else to read ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big news. Props to Cochrane/Mariner if this one goes through. This is the kind of signing TFC has needed since 2007.

Interesting though, 4 days ago he had no offers:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1114235/alessandro-nesta:-i-haven't-received-any-mls-offers?campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=5901

Watch Nesta close down Messi!:

Here's a collection from not too many years ago:

Obviously this would mean that we would lose a DP. Any bets as to which one?
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-28-2012 at 07:35 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting tid bit from that was the structure of the contract would be one that allows him to sign as a regular player and graduate to a DP later.

WOW
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ can we do the same deal for Seedof

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    At 36 with injuries in recent years, I think a "few years" is very hopeful thinking.

this season and the next is a few LOL

i am a milan supporter and i know that this man can still play, he has recovered fully from the back injury and had found his form this season, sure he isnt the fastest , but he never was, he has always been more about positional play, which is exactly what TFC is lacking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Interesting tid bit from that was the structure of the contract would be one that allows him to sign as a regular player and graduate to a DP later.

WOW
    The article says they would make him a DP next year, after we are of the hook for JDG's DP contract. Or... if JDG signs back as a non-DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am a milan supporter and i know that this man can still play, he has recovered fully from the back injury and had found his form this season, sure he isnt the fastest , but he never was, he has always been more about positional play, which is exactly what TFC is lacking
    A few is more than 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ its also "not as many as expected" LOL, but you are correct

thank you grammar police

if he only plays a season and a half, i am fine with that, he is an older player

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good fundamentals and good positioning can often negate an opposing player who is quick.

We've never had this kind or level of experience on our back line. Odds are good that he would make us better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For this to happen do we not have to move someone out? Can we release anybody now that the transfer window is open? I'm also assuming that to get Nesta we would have to free up an international spot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Sorry man - that links to an article by Duane Rollins - have you got anything else to read ?
    Just terrible of me to stay up late last night confirming this info so you could read it for free today. Awful. I'm a bad, bad person.

When I've actually reported breaking stuff -- in the FOUR YEARS I'VE BEEN DOING THIS -- I've been wrong once. When the CSA gave me bad info on World Cup spots for CONCACAF.

We've been chasing this for days. FOR YOUR BENEFIT. You're welcome.

I'm sorry, but I'm getting damn sick of internet warriors that like to make personal attacks over...what? A Tweet I made more than a year ago. That no one important in RPB really cares about anymore. That I apologized for. That I admitted I made in haste and without full knowledge.

Maybe it's time to move on, no?

Or, if you still have a problem, I'm in 113 EVERY GAME. Grow a pair and tell me to me face why you have such a problem. I'm the fat, ugly one with the beard.

But, to answer your question, no. There isn't another link because we reported it first. Again, you're welcome.

All for one!
    Duane

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

WOW
    MLS throwing us a bone to help us out with their "flexible" cap arrangements... something they usually only do for teams called LA or NY.
    I guess they don't want the entire fanbase to go down the drain.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOwnGoal View Post

Maybe a simple and public apology on this board would have helped your cause, rather than telling people to "grow a pair."

Some people here have long memories, just ask Cathall Kelly, or the Columbus media.

The door is always open, Duane. If you are gracious, I'm sure most people here will respond. I know I want all of us to work together.

ALL FOR ONE
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-28-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this signing does make it a bit harder to jab at montreal for being an Italian old age home.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane actually wrote a nice piece defending the RPB during that whole Twitter thing.

He is a supporter just like the rest of us, and everyone makes mistakes. He made one last year and paid the price. I think its time to let the hard feelings be gone and look to some of insight.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news...thanks, Duane. I, and I don't think I'm alone in this, really appreciate the hard work and diligence.

And since Armen says he was hoping to break this one, it would seem as if there is confirmation, too.

A back line of Eckersley, Cann, Nesta and Morgan sounds, to me, like a great mix of experience and youth, with the leadership that Mariner wants.

A spine of Kocic, Nesta, Frings and Koevermans looks good, too.

Any idea when this will be done?
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOwnGoal View Post
    Just terrible of me to stay up late last night confirming this info so you could read it for free today. Awful. I'm a bad, bad person.

When I've actually reported breaking stuff -- in the FOUR YEARS I'VE BEEN DOING THIS -- I've been wrong once. When the CSA gave me bad info on World Cup spots for CONCACAF.

We've been chasing this for days. FOR YOUR BENEFIT. You're welcome.

I'm sorry, but I'm getting damn sick of internet warriors that like to make personal attacks over...what? A Tweet I made more than a year ago. That no one important in RPB really cares about anymore. That I apologized for. That I admitted I made in haste and without full knowledge.

Or, if you still have a problem, I'm in 113 EVERY GAME. Grow a pair and tell me to me face why you have such a problem. I'm the fat, ugly one with the beard.

But, to answer your question, no. There isn't another link because we reported it first. Again, you're welcome.

All for one!
    Duane
    Hey Duane,

Usually I'd PM a reply as it's off-topic, but I think it's appropriate to post this in the thread (to you, but publicly).

My comment isn't a personal attack, and I'm not being funny, but I'm surprised that you seem so sensitive. I would have imagined that folk in the journalism business would have pretty thick skin - take the accolades along with the criticisms - that kind of thing.

I can't exactly remember why I stopped reading your stuff. It was a while back and may have had something to do with content or overall tone, or maybe I just didn't like your style.

Whatever the reason, I haven't rated your material worth reading, but maybe you're right and it's time to move on.

Let's see how this Nesta thing plays out. Hopefully I end up eating crow (as long as there's HP Sauce handy it won't be so bad).

I'm not sure when I'll be at BMO next, but I'll definitely look you up. I'm the shiny, handsome one with the clear complexion.

- Andy

PS - keep doing what you do, and don't be put off by occasional negativity - life's too short.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if he only plays a season and a half, i am fine with that, he is an older player
    That's the best case scenario IMHO. If he stays healthy and we make the playoffs next year, particularly if we go deep, before he rides off into the sunset I'll donate to a statue outside Gate 3.

Not 100% convinced this is the best move compared to finding a great 28-30 year old in South America, Central America, or Africa - think Bernardez in San Jose style - who we could sign for under $200K and build around but I can't lie and say I'm not sorta starstruck. As a marketing move this is gold for season ticket renewals in the Toronto market. Especially with the Italians doing well at this summer's Euros.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure what to think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a huge fan of this.

I thought the defense looked solid last night, and has actually played relatively well under Mariner. There have obviously been some late collapses, but I think that can be attributed to inexperience more than anything else. I think that letting our current crop of defenders take their lumps this season, which is a lost cause anyways, would be best for the team in the long run because the goal would be to get one of our young defenders to step up into a leadership role as a player we can build a back line around for the next 5+ years.