1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    mornin d

lets give mariner a chance---i think he can make something happen
    we only need one experienced centre back who can marshall the d
    and an attacking mid who can score goals
    I don't think anyone wants an 8th coach.

That said, holding Mariner accountable for immediate results is more than fair for this franchise.

1. It keeps pressure squarely on the one doing the hiring (or deferring the hiring decision to imaginary people)

2. Mariner isn't brand new. He has been here 19+ months. All this crap about Winter not letting him do his job is simply crap. Winter had a vision and Mariner's job was either to support it or get out of the way. Anything else is counterproductive (same for Cochrane and anyone else there). He appears to have single handledly changed the vision so it better work.

3. If Mariner simply demonstrates improvement (ie. a couple of wins but no miracle) that will be used as spin for season ticket renewals... guaranteed. Keeping expectations high is key to sorting through the inevitiable "It will be better next year" crap that we keep getting handed to us

As always though, if Mariner fails, I want a new leader to be hired first and then let them decide whether to keep him. If Mariner does improve slightly, it's not enough. New leader who makes a decision is the outcome I want. If Mariner succeeds and makes the playoffs this year, then I still want a new leader and Mariner obviously keeps his job regardless of the new guy.

3 Outcomes. Each with a new leader. A guy always wins in a 3 way.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't seen this posted elsewhere.

Willy Anselmi died on June 23. The obit in Monday's Star doesn't specifically mention that son Tom is the MLSE honcho, but the picture of Willy certainly bears strong resemblance to MLSE Tom. So condolences to Tom if that's the case.

The obit mentions at length Willy's deep commitment to hockey and his love of the Leafs, so the boy's a chip off the old block. Shame dad wasn't a centrocampista.

And all you anti-Anselmi signwriters at BMO Field Saturday - Let's be careful, people, about who you target next.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 06-26-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't see this in the news, but guess who the top player in MLS is?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/castrol

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ well earned DK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bringing Dero back?

that would make me renew next year

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Barrage of tweets from Larson (who I agree is one of the best covering TFC currently, as much as people might not like his pro-Mariner stance):

Plata out for tomorrow
    Mariner says potentially multiple players coming in
    Lindsay back to full training (gulp!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Bringing Dero back?

that would make me renew next year
    and here i wanted to see a lindsay/plata wing combo. fuck me that'd be one of the scariest, fastest attacks in all of the MLS. all we'd need is peter crouch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I desparately hope I'm wrong, but a multitude of knee injuries later, I suspect Lindsays professional career is already over. He'll probably be quietly released at the end of this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Didn't see this in the news, but guess who the top player in MLS is?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/castrol
    Danny K is too old, out of shape, doesn't care, bad signing, waste of money, didn't work right in the old and/or new system, we need to dump him to free up some cap space.

Wait, what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I desparately hope I'm wrong, but a multitude of knee injuries later, I suspect Lindsays professional career is already over. He'll probably be quietly released at the end of this year.
    Not to be picky but it wasn't really a multitude of knee injuries. It was one MASSIVE knee injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Haven't seen this posted elsewhere.

Willy Anselmi died on June 23. The obit in Monday's Star doesn't specifically mention that son Tom is the MLSE honcho, but the picture of Willy certainly bears strong resemblance to MLSE Tom. So condolences to Tom if that's the case.

The obit mentions at length Willy's deep commitment to hockey and his love of the Leafs, so the boy's a chip off the old block. Shame dad wasn't a centrocampista.

And all you anti-Anselmi signwriters at BMO Field Saturday - Let's be careful, people, about who you target next.
    If this is the case and it does seem likely, it think it would be classy to put aside the Anti Tom sentiment for this weekend's game. While I fully understand the anger directed at the FO, given the circumstances, it would seem to be in bad taste to have fire tom/fire anselmi signs at the game...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    If this is the case and it does seem likely, it think it would be classy to put aside the Anti Tom sentiment for this weekend's game. While I fully understand the anger directed at the FO, given the circumstances, it would seem to be in bad taste to have fire tom/fire anselmi signs at the game...
    I disagree completely.

The next home game will probably be one of the only sell-outs all season with Henry and NYRB in town.

Better to keep the momentum of the pressure on Tom Anselmi going. While he may be facing personal tragedy that doesn't change the fact that he has done a piss poor job running TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    Plata RPB Man of the Year scarves arrived yesterday. I will have them at Shoeless this weekend!
    cool see you at the next tailgate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    I disagree completely.

The next home game will probably be one of the only sell-outs all season with Henry and NYRB in town.

Better to keep the momentum of the pressure on Tom Anselmi going. While he may be facing personal tragedy that doesn't change the fact that he has done a piss poor job running TFC.
    From a scheduling point of view I understand where you are coming from. NY is a high profile game and the next home games after that are midweek fixtures so who knows what the turn out will be like and yes Tom should shoulder much of the responsibility for the state of TFC and also MLSE is a cold hearted entity that gouges us at every turn and has never displayed any empathy towards its fan base. Just the same though Tom was someone who played a big role in bringing a team to Toronto and and should get some credit for the good times that came from supporting TFC. Granted that credit is pretty much spent, yet to me, calling publicly for someone's ouster a mere week after the loss of their father still seems a bit tackless, a bit like kicking a man when he is down. I don't care for Tom as a driving force within MLSE one bit, but at the same time I don't wish the man any ill will as a person. By the sounds of it his dad was a decent every man type of guy not unlike the people we all know, life long Leafs fan, hockey dad, etc. In this instance I'd rather show Tom the empathy that is rarely shown to fans of MLSE properties. The Redbulls game will be the best "marketing" opportunity for the anti Tom message but I'd like to think we as fans aren't as calculating and opportunistic as MLSE. Maybe I just have Stockholm syndrome...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Tom is in charge of more than one team. All we care about is his involvement in TFC to be clear. Until this becomes a united anti-MLSE march from all other fans Tom won't be on the street or anything.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    ^Tom is in charge of more than one team. All we care about is his involvement in TFC to be clear. Until this becomes a united anti-MLSE march from all other fans Tom won't be on the street or anything.
    I have to say written communication isn't my strong suit and it wasn't my intent to have the posts come across as holier than thou or judgemental in any way so I hope they didn't come across that way. The best part of TFC has been the support-something I don't do enough to propagate- so the last thing I want to do it shit on the effort and time people put into tfc related activities. Perhaps this situation is just hitting a bit close to home this week. I've lost a family member as well and while not unexpected it still stirs the emotions especially when you see the ramifications play out on people you are close to. I wasn't trying to be critical but perhaps just have people consider the human element given the circumstances...My apologies though if I offended anyone with the tone of the previous posts, after rereading them they come across far more judgemental than I ever intended. I think I'll digress from any further comment on the subject

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I felt bad when I heard the news and wrote to him to express my sympathy. No one is a heartless bastard and losing a father is something we have all dealt with, or will deal with at some point in our lives.

Life does go on though and the issues surrounding this team don't go away. Much like Brian Burke, who lost his son and is still facing the media and fan challenges to this day, Anselmi chooses to make a living by running "our" football team and there are questions that we all have for him regarding its future.