Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I don't feel like searching the archives at the moment, but it was definitely mentioned.

Anyway, regarding a second striker, we'll see what happens. I think RJ has the tools to fulfill that role. I also think Plata should be given a shot as a second striker coming off the bench as a late game sub once he is healthy.
    Yeah I'd like to see Plata given a shot there too. I think he really is an out and out winger, which doesn't give him a natural place in this formation, but it's worth a shot for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say. The most damning stat for me from Saturday night was the fact that Milos Kocic played more passes than any of our midfielders. talk about a midfield being bypassed. The long ball is truly king now.
    Why not play a 6-0-4 then?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope "probable" is the key word. That backline has no height whatsoever, and will get decimated on set pieces and crosses into the box. I would go with Henry and Williams at CB for now.
    Both fbs listed as 5'11. Emory 6'1 eck 6'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Both fbs listed as 5'11. Emory 6'1 eck 6'
    Yeah, but without the afro, he's more like 5'6...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but without the afro, he's more like 5'6...
    HaHa! and apparently he's had a cut so we will be seeing the 5'6 version.

Who was it that shadowed Corradi in the CCL matches? I think it was Henry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Why not play a 6-0-4 then?
    Yeah, seriously. People give Frings shit for not being more involved in the play. What's he supposed to do when the ball looks from his perspective like an unidentified flying object high above?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is that we'll score goals, but we'll also conceed a lot too. 3-2 Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I think they've looked more disoranized in the last three games, the likely result of playing a lot of players out of their normal positions. Unless you mean the system has the potential to be more compact (which may be true). But it's not right now.

We're giving up more chances right now, getting less chances (more goals though), and far less possession. Our midefield barely touches the ball - Milos Kocic played more passes than any of our midfielders Saturday night!
    No, it's more compact. Players are in the right positions more often now than they were before. They're occasionally messing up individually, but it's not from being out of position. It's a diamond 4-4-2; holding position isn't exactly difficult. That's what more compact is referring to. It's harder now for opponents to find space, which is why we've dominated the first half of two straight games.

Our problem is that in the second half, we're dropping off pressure and sitting deep. It's an issue of composure and experience, which makes sense, given our defence's average age.

As for playing through the middle, that's not the tactical style he's trying for.. He's running a counter through the fullbacks, with a quick switch of field to counteract high pressure by their opposition. So the central mids are mostly used for a defensive role, while the wingers and fullbacks advance and distribute the ball in the second stage. It's a sensible tactic against MLS' typical full-field pressure, and the ball only generally gets back into the middle when it reaches the hole player or the target man.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Our problem is that in the second half, we're dropping off pressure and sitting deep. It's an issue of composure and experience, which makes sense, given our defence's average age.
    Just as an aside, it is funny to me the number of people that have now bought into the idea of the young back line. When Winter's team was conceding goals, it was essentially the same back line as Mariner's. Larson tried to tweet-debate this with me the other day saying that Mariner is without Cann and therefore we should excuse the results. Sure. Winter was without Cann from May 2011 to April 2012 too. Why no free pass on him?

The knock on Winter was that his "system" wasn't right for MLS.

Mariner seems to have deflected that by bringing up the age factor. And it is a factor no doubt. I wrote about it in May for Sportsnet. Youngest roster (not just back line) in the league.

We seem to just accept, oh they are young without asking why did we choose to have the youngest starting 11 in all of MLS (including our aging DPs)? Complete roster mismanagement from identifying and signing experienced players to what looks to be complete ignorance of the MLS Domestic/International quota rule.

Seems Mariner is distancing himself from all the roster decisions that were made. Remains to be seen if true. Which also begs, is Mariner more spin-media savvy?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we might be able to nick it tomorrow. Somehow I get the feeling that Toronto FC will beat Montreal. Going forward I hope this will give the players a much needed confidence boost.

Montreal 0 - Toronto FC 1 (koevermans 78')

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the defence can hold up, and we can keep possession for longer stretches, and play that kind of soccer we did against houston and parts of ner we can pull out a win, however a tie is more likely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what really pissed me off Vs. NER was the midfield holding the ball and slowing down play when they should of rushed forward made a pass and create a scoring opportunity.. goes to show the kind of level our players are at compared to european leagues. but yea

TFC!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm finally able to watch a midweek game on television for the first time in awhile, and I'm glad it's our hated rivals in Montreal. I'd like to say a win is possible, but after the way our side blew it at home against New England while Montreal was able to squash Houston at Stade Saputo, I dunno. Keeping fingers crossed for this one.

I wish I was back in Montreal for another Toronto/Montreal tilt. Stade Saputo looks like a nice little stadium. And I do so miss the poutine from La Belle Province restaurant.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for tfc is that im corradi is out for the season. Bad is marco di vaio to play first game for mtl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-1 MTL.....unfortunately...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pawlukj View Post
    If the defence can hold up, and we can keep possession for longer stretches, and play that kind of soccer we did against houston and parts of ner we can pull out a win, however a tie is more likely
    Possession? Possession??

Have you watched any games under the new system??? It's like the new objective is to see how little possession we can actually have.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'd like to see Plata given a shot there too. I think he really is an out and out winger, which doesn't give him a natural place in this formation, but it's worth a shot for sure.
    he is a natural winger, but he was never afraid to take shots. sometime during the offseason it was like he was advised to stop taking shots and start throwing in crosses (which never worked). if we can utilize his speed so he can get the ball up the pitch with someone else, we'd be solid. problem is, no one else would be up with him on 80% of his rushes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just gotta play the 2 halfs like they were both the first half ;-)
    Then we might win 5-0!!! Crazy!!

I'm intersted to see if our midfield gets more of the ball, and what they do when they get it. Wonder if Soolsma will get time tonight..

Win or Lose I'm go to the bars for
    This one tonight. It's looking like there are less and less things to get excited about this season, but the chance to beat Montreal at home is something I'm getting loud for!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ref tonight is Kevin Stott, the Reds having only won once with him calling the shots, May 12, 2007 when the legend of the 24th minute was born.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    he is a natural winger, but he was never afraid to take shots. sometime during the offseason it was like he was advised to stop taking shots and start throwing in crosses (which never worked). if we can utilize his speed so he can get the ball up the pitch with someone else, we'd be solid. problem is, no one else would be up with him on 80% of his rushes.
    if he was played as more of a false nine position I think he could do well. Danny is strong enough a player to hold the two CBs. Drop Plata a bit deeper in the hole, get him the ball and let him run at the two defenders. That's were he's at his best.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone make last minute plans to make the trip down to Montreal, I am enjoying a lazy morning here, looking forward to seeing the newly renovated Saputo, should be a good night. Rain is in the cards, which will be back memories of a previous trip into this stadium.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    No, it's more compact. Players are in the right positions more often now than they were before. They're occasionally messing up individually, but it's not from being out of position. It's a diamond 4-4-2; holding position isn't exactly difficult. That's what more compact is referring to. It's harder now for opponents to find space, which is why we've dominated the first half of two straight games.

As for playing through the middle, that's not the tactical style he's trying for.. He's running a counter through the fullbacks, with a quick switch of field to counteract high pressure by their opposition. So the central mids are mostly used for a defensive role, while the wingers and fullbacks advance and distribute the ball in the second stage. It's a sensible tactic against MLS' typical full-field pressure, and the ball only generally gets back into the middle when it reaches the hole player or the target man.
    I have to admit to being a little too trashed Saturday to have really been able to critically look at their tactics and how they line up that night. It was the only way I could make it through that game.... The Opta Stats bear out what you're saying though. I'll take a closer look tonight.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Montreal will win. They will be pumped since they are at home in new stadium, and it will be Marco DiVaio debut. Hopefully TFC prove me wrong.

RoadTrips:Columbus/Vancouver/Montreal/Columbus/NewYork/Montreal/
    RPBScarf:2015/2019/2023

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Di Vaio is going to tear our defense up. I'm interested in seeing what the attendance will be like, Montreal hasn't done too well outside of their home opener and the LA game.

The little faith I had in Mariner is eroding after the inexplicable subs he made last game. TFC 1-3 MTL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Di vaio is not match fit. Small mercies?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gotta think MTL is hungry after dropping the ACC match in Toronto the way they did. Playing in front of home crowd, new stadium, new player... on paper the 3rd largest payroll team and reigning V-CUP champ shouldn't be an underdog but that looks to be the way things shape up.

Hoping 3-0 Toronto. Expecting 3-0 MTL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    lol. I find it hilarious when coaches talk about defending like Barca but only use one small component of it. Barca defends by winning the ball back within four seconds of losing it. They do that by becoming compact with only 20-30 meters between the forwards and the defenders. That's not quite the same as just making your attackers press high while your defenders sit deep. It also means not kicking the ball away the second you get it
    I think he's only using the Barca/Spain comparison/example as its one that the Canadian sports press might understand. I think if he said "we should play more like Southampton" the media would look blankly and wonder what he's talking about!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Plata injured again for this one, or available now? I haven't seen the press conference to know either way...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Is Plata injured again for this one, or available now? I haven't seen the press conference to know either way...
    Believe he's still out for this game but has been back to training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is going to be a high scoring brawl. MTL wants revenge and redemption against us and TFC wants to tame the other Canadians team(s) and keep the streak alive. Either 3-2 or 4-3 for TFC. Koevs and Johnson with a rare goal from der alter hase will contribute.