Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post PRE/IN/POST GAME_MTL- TFC_Jun. 27_7:30PM

If we are lucky 1 point from Montreal will feel like a win.

Montreal playing in new Saputo,waiting for TFC after 4-2 win over Houston Dynamo.

TFC going to Montreal after another depressing performance,and hoping for the best while Mariner Seeks Backline Leadership

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game, ugh... Maybe when I expect the very least, something good will happen? Not holding my breath though.

In our sixth year of looking for backline leadership.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL at Mariner using Barcelona and Spain as examples for defending starting from the top. Usually when somebody on this board uses Barcelona or the like as an example, somebody else freaks out.

Might Mariner also want to use Barcelona or Spain as an example of maintaining possession, keeping the ball, so that your defense isn't endlessly tested & run ragged?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I predicted 2-1 TFC for the game against NE and that was looking good until about 60 min mark, when our genius manager removed Frings and JDG.. Anyways I just don't think we come out of this game with any points unfortunately, going to say 3-1 Mtl.. Remind me again who the expansion team is, bloody depressing..
    Last edited by DaBandit; 06-25-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    LOL at Mariner using Barcelona and Spain as examples for defending starting from the top. Usually when somebody on this board uses Barcelona or the like as an example, somebody else freaks out.

Might Mariner also want to use Barcelona or Spain as an example of maintaining possession, keeping the ball, so that your defense isn't endlessly tested & run ragged?
    Lol, that quite the concept you have there Auzzy..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaBandit View Post
    Lol, that quite the concept you have there Auzzy..
    Crazy talk, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predict another 90 minutes for Terry Dunfield and a loss for Toronto.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats funny- I just saw on Facebook that Barca is keeping 2012/13 season ticket prices unchanged. Guess TFC won't be imitating them on that one..

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard fought draw at 2-2. Away at a true rival that would usually sate me but not in these times.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy talk, eh?
    For sure.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Bet you 5 bucks you're right.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    ^ this, rinse, repeat.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so pumped up for tomorrow's night's match. Making my way to Montreal early Wednesday morning and it will be epic to watch the Reds march into the new Saputo for the first time.

I really hope Mariner leaves the best lineup out there to get the win. Danny K has been playing very well of late so hopefully he can continue on this path and the Reds will come home with the win.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how they're playing under Mariner. The shape is better suited to staying compact back and front.

The defence has an average age of 21. I'm surprised we're not giving up more. I think they're skilled, but lack composure, as evidenced by the creeping move backwards as the game stretches.

Mariner is a field-level coach. If he can get them to keep a higher line towards the end, we'll win some games.

Problematically, Montreal's central midfielder Felipe cuts good defenses apart. They're gonna make the playoffs with that lineup, I suspect --- assuming it stays healthy, which is a big if.

But who knows in this league. Power poll has us above Dallas this week, where a team with Brek Shea and George John can't buy a win.

I'm gonna go with 2-2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I like how they're playing under Mariner. The shape is better suited to staying compact back and front.

The defence has an average age of 21. I'm surprised we're not giving up more. I think they're skilled, but lack composure, as evidenced by the creeping move backwards as the game stretches.

Mariner is a field-level coach. If he can get them to keep a higher line towards the end, we'll win some games.

Problematically, Montreal's central midfielder Felipe cuts good defenses apart. They're gonna make the playoffs with that lineup, I suspect --- assuming it stays healthy, which is a big if.

But who knows in this league. Power poll has us above Dallas this week, where a team with Brek Shea and George John can't buy a win.

I'm gonna go with 2-2.
    I'm surprised to hear you say that. I think they've looked more disoranized in the last three games, the likely result of playing a lot of players out of their normal positions. Unless you mean the system has the potential to be more compact (which may be true). But it's not right now.

We're giving up more chances right now, getting less chances (more goals though), and far less possession. Our midefield barely touches the ball - Milos Kocic played more passes than any of our midfielders Saturday night!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

I'm gonna go with 2-2.
    I'll agree with the 2-2 draw, will Mariner again instruct our inadequate defending to give up 1/2 to 2/3rds of the pitch again and let a game slide away from us, at least we are generating a little offense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol. I find it hilarious when coaches talk about defending like Barca but only use one small component of it. Barca defends by winning the ball back within four seconds of losing it. They do that by becoming compact with only 20-30 meters between the forwards and the defenders. That's not quite the same as just making your attackers press high while your defenders sit deep. It also means not kicking the ball away the second you get it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that TFC has looked more dangerous on the attack under Mariner. The issues have been the team's tendency to sit back and stop pushing forward once they have the lead, and Mariner's curious choice of substitutions. If those issues can be rectified, TFC will have a legitimate chance to win on any given night against any MLS club.

2-1 TFC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Curious as to whether THEY have looked better in the attack or a healthy DANNY KOEVERMANS has looked better in the attack.

They aren't shooting anywhere near as much as they did and are holding the ball over 9 mins less per game. Passing accuracy is down over 10% and there isn't a lot of high pressure being applied. The goals we are scoring are seemingly focused on getting a good cross into the box. Something that is an issue for multiple teams in this league.

That said, Montreal is beatable. They are 1-1-1 against them this year (MLS and ACC) I feel the players believe they can win which is important provided they don't implode and hang their heads if Montreal gets one on the board first.

Not sure what to expect. Winter parked the bus and came away with a draw. He then pressed high and came away with a win. Not sure what Mariner has in mind but this game is winnable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Curious as to whether THEY have looked better in the attack or a healthy DANNY KOEVERMANS has looked better in the attack.

They aren't shooting anywhere near as much as they did and are holding the ball over 9 mins less per game. Passing accuracy is down over 10% and there isn't a lot of high pressure being applied. The goals we are scoring are seemingly focused on getting a good cross into the box. Something that is an issue for multiple teams in this league.

That said, Montreal is beatable. They are 1-1-1 against them this year (MLS and ACC) I feel the players believe they can win which is important provided they don't implode and hang their heads if Montreal gets one on the board first.

Not sure what to expect. Winter parked the bus and came away with a draw. He then pressed high and came away with a win. Not sure what Mariner has in mind but this game is winnable.
    Exactly what I was going to say. The most damning stat for me from Saturday night was the fact that Milos Kocic played more passes than any of our midfielders. talk about a midfield being bypassed. The long ball is truly king now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting comment, because I read several posts after Winter was fired that suggested that Koevermans wouldn't fit in well with Mariner's preferred 4-4-2 and 4-3-1-2 formations. It looks like Koevermans has adjusted quite well. BTW, Jeremy Hall and Ryan Johnson have chipped in as well, so it hasn't exactly been a one man show the last two games.

As for breaking down statistics, I think it would be much more accurate to draw conclusions by making reasonable comparisons after Mariner has coached more than 3 games as opposed to the 44 games TFC played with Winter at the helm.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 06-26-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Interesting comment, because I read several posts after Winter was fired that indicated that Koevermans wouldn't fit in well with Mariner's preferred 4-4-2 and 4-3-1-2 formations. It looks like Koevermans has adjusted quite well. BTW, Jeremy Hall and Ryan Johnson have chipped in as well, so it hasn't exactly been a one man show the last two games.
    I don't recall these posts you are referring to. Anyways, pretty sure it wasn't me who said it. To me, Koevermans seems like the kind of player who can fit in anywhere. He had 8 goals in 10 MLS games last year and was scoring at a rate of 1 every 106 minutes... better than the golden boot winner last year and this year's favourite. I remember defending him against those that didn't think he fit in when Winter was in charge... at least not as a DP.

Anyways, that's a debate for someone else.

As for breaking down statistics, I think it would be much more accurate to draw conclusions by making reasonable comparisons after Mariner has coached more than 3 games as opposed to the 44 games TFC played with Winter at the helm.
    The stats were only for 2012 MLS games... so Winter's 10 games vs Mariner's 3. It also didn't include any of the non-MLS games under Winter (where he would shine with an 11-2-7 record). Trying to make it as apples to apples as I could (ie. same players, same league, etc).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say. The most damning stat for me from Saturday night was the fact that Milos Kocic played more passes than any of our midfielders. talk about a midfield being bypassed. The long ball is truly king now.
    oooooooooooo. Are things improving? Yes. Draws end up disappointing but results are happening. Man, that stat is a clear vote for winning (drawing) ugly.

a-NOTH-er PASS for MI-los...
    a-NOTH-er PASS for MI-los...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't recall these posts you are referring to. Anyways, pretty sure it wasn't me who said it. To me, Koevermans seems like the kind of player who can fit in anywhere. He had 8 goals in 10 MLS games last year and was scoring at a rate of 1 every 106 minutes... better than the golden boot winner last year and this year's favourite. I remember defending him against those that didn't think he fit in when Winter was in charge... at least not as a DP.

Anyways, that's a debate for someone else.

The stats were only for 2012 MLS games... so Winter's 10 games vs Mariner's 3. It also didn't include any of the non-MLS games under Winter (where he would shine with an 11-2-7 record). Trying to make it as apples to apples as I could (ie. same players, same league, etc).
    I don't think it was you who said it (I can't recall who the posters were), and I wasn't attacking you in any way, I just wanted to point it out because it was mentioned several times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probable starting 11 according to Kurtis Larson:

Kocic, Hall, (Ecks, Emory)*, Morgan, Dunny, JDG, Frings, Avila, Koev, Johnson
    * Yikes!!! Good Luck Milos

Why not drop Frings to play sweeper, also why not try a little squad rotation so that your whole squad isn't dead by half time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post

Why not drop Frings to play sweeper, also why not try a little squad rotation so that your whole squad isn't dead by half time.
    SirBobSaget will you be joining us supporters in Montreal tomorrow night?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it was you who said it (I can't recall who the posters were), and I wasn't attacking you in any way, I just wanted to point it out because it was mentioned several times.
    I don't recall anyone saying Koevermans couldn't fit the system. He's a big guy who can fit the target man role well. I do recall, and I was certainly one of them, people saying there is no one to play behind Koevermans. I'd still say that now. Ryan Johnson is not a central striker. We have no second striker.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's all good. Didn't take it as an "attack" at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I don't recall anyone saying Koevermans couldn't fit the system. He's a big guy who can fit the target man role well. I do recall, and I was certainly one of them, people saying there is no one to play behind Koevermans. I'd still say that now. Ryan Johnson is not a central striker. We have no second striker.
    I don't feel like searching the archives at the moment, but it was definitely mentioned.

Anyway, regarding a second striker, we'll see what happens. I think RJ has the tools to fulfill that role. I also think Plata should be given a shot as a second striker coming off the bench as a late game sub once he is healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post

I hope "probable" is the key word. That backline has no height whatsoever, and will get decimated on set pieces and crosses into the box. I would go with Henry and Williams at CB for now.