Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It sounds as though Mariner isn't just content with throwing Winter under the bus.

He wants to drive it over him as well.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a small conversation with Asif on twitter, says that Soolsma was a full participant in practice today, I didn't ask about Aceval since I don't care too much about him. Not sure if this is a good sign that Marnier will keep Soolsma or just for the public eye since it was an open practice and they still are trying to release him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats the point of keeping him and plata...they have too much skill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record, Kurt Larson is one of the most responsible journalists covering TFC, and I think his assessment is bang on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    For the record, Kurt Larson is one of the most responsible journalists covering TFC, and I think his assessment is bang on.
    what assessment are you referring to?

the one where Mariner didn't really do his job of acquiring players in his previous role as he routinely said he was doing whenever interviewed about it before?? the players on the team were the responsibility of Mariner, otherwise what on earth has he been doing for 18 months??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    what assessment are you referring to?

the one where Mariner didn't really do his job of acquiring players in his previous role as he routinely said he was doing whenever interviewed about it before?? the players on the team were the responsibility of Mariner, otherwise what on earth has he been doing for 18 months??
    https://twitter.com/#!/KurtLarSUN

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't consider it "responsible journalism" when somebody says that fans are "out of touch" for expecting people at the club to be working according to their job description and according to how senior management introduced them to the public. Note also that Mariner said just within the last two weeks that he worked on international scouting under Winter.

I admit, Larson pays more attention to TFC than most. He's reported some really good info, but also also some garbage. It must be hard to cover this soap opera of a club even if you tried. If he asks 5 guys, he'll probably get 5 different stories (or maybe none). (Should the job description for a senior member of the club management really be such a difficult thing to get a straight answer to?)

BTW, Larson also tweeted today, in response to someone else, that hiring Mariner at the same time as Winter/BDK was "irresponsible."
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-25-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    And his twitter feeds shows he has a clear bias towards Mariner. Mariner has been far from perfect since coming in but Larson hasn't done anything but dump on the players, supporters and prior regime (which Mariner was a large part of) while placing praise on Mariner.

So tell me how is that "responsible journalism"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also if Mariner is now saying he wasn't performing the role he was hired for because Winter ruled with an iron fist then i lose a lot of respect for him for that. I mean if he just collected a pay cheque for 18 mths and it didn't bother him enough to say piss-off i'm out of here, that's not what i was hired for - to me that says a lot about him especially when he was interviewed and repeatedly said he was scouting the world for the type of player "Bob" needs. sounds like he speaks out of whichever side of his mouth he needs to.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a little premature to dump on Paul Mariner.

As for Kurt Larson, the guy is a professional and one of the better reporters for TFC. Pro-Mariner or not, I don't see his tweets as anything more than a commentary on the current state of the team and the transition between managers. We all expected more from Mariner in terms of player acquisitions but in reality his influence was not as vast as it would have seemed it should be.

Just give it time. This season is basically...well...winding it's way to a close, and unless the team finds some CCL success, it's a matter of playing things out till more players/signings/changes can be made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    I think it's a little premature to dump on Paul Mariner.

As for Kurt Larson, the guy is a professional and one of the better reporters for TFC. Pro-Mariner or not, I don't see his tweets as anything more than a commentary on the current state of the team and the transition between managers. We all expected more from Mariner in terms of player acquisitions but in reality his influence was not as vast as it would have seemed it should be.

Just give it time. This season is basically...well...winding it's way to a close, and unless the team finds some CCL success, it's a matter of playing things out till more players/signings/changes can be made.
    why? he's been here 18 mths collecting a pay cheque and now he says he wasn't allowed to do his job because winter was so tough and a control freak?? please give me a break. why wasn't he man enough to say, well i'm out of here then, not was i was hired for....i guess i'm just fed up with all of this...totally frustrating...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    And his twitter feeds shows he has a clear bias towards Mariner. Mariner has been far from perfect since coming in but Larson hasn't done anything but dump on the players, supporters and prior regime (which Mariner was a large part of) while placing praise on Mariner.

So tell me how is that "responsible journalism"?

I thought I was the only that got this feeling.

Seems like the miscues in player aquisitions they(media/organization) are trying to make the fans/public believe that was Winters fault especially how he's not around to defend himself.

Every thing to do with this Organization is a shit show.
    Last edited by DoubleUp; 06-25-2012 at 03:22 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    why? he's been here 18 mths collecting a pay cheque and now he says he wasn't allowed to do his job because winter was so tough and a control freak?? please give me a break. why wasn't he man enough to say, well i'm out of here then, not was i was hired for....i guess i'm just fed up with all of this...totally frustrating...
    If a company hired you, paid you well, and asked you to do nothing, you would walk away?
    Sounds like a dream job to me

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larson still pisses me off for calling fans "out of touch" for expecting Mariner to have worked according to his job description.

Larson also hasn't spent more than a few minutes looking at the stats RE Mariner, as has become clear in his interchanges with others on Twittter. Plus his fawning about players looking "bright" in Mariner's first practice a few weeks ago, and attributing that to Mariner himself, is the kind of stuff you would expect & understand from TFC's in-house PR guys, not from a supposed serious journalist. The boys had just come back from the international break, and they're trying to impress a new coach. Trying to read much into that practice is a joke.

None of this is meant as a big defense of Winter. He apparently wasn't the right guy for the job. Although Mariner will certainly be different, I just doubt Mariner will be much better. It's certainly way too early to claim otherwise, and the preliminary evidence is pointing in the wrong direction.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-25-2012 at 04:03 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's #3 at practice today: http://instagr.am/p/MTPuQ6kp80/

That's Aceval's regular number: is that him? Name just looks a bit shorter on the back of the jersey.

Somebody else said that Soolsma is at practice as well...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a company hired you, paid you well, and asked you to do nothing, you would walk away?

Ins't that the problem with this club? Too many people being paid to do fuck all? And even worse are the ones who are getting paid while being a detriment to the club.

Do you think Mariner has been without fault so far in his 18 months at TFC? Because that is picture Larson is trying to paint. And to me that shows a bias towards Mariner. As Auzzy says, Larson is coming off more as a PR guy than a journalist right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that Mariner is sitting in the previous coaches seat and has the balls to actually say that it's a problem when players make the same mistake over and over again is fucking shocking. I can't believe he can say that with a straight face.

If he were a brand new guy brought in to fix the team I could understand it. If that were the case it would just be the new coach realizing the same thing that the previous coach figured out.

But he's not a new coach. He was part of the staff that selected the players.

This guys got a set of balls on him to say that shit with a straight face.

He's also got a set of balls to wear shorts on the sideline as a professional manager and rant around like a lunatic. LOL

On the Larson twitter shit...he's been sucking Mariners dick from day one. Might as well have Jimmy writing for the Sun on TFC. Who cares about this guys opinion anymore? He's just lost a follower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And why hasn't anyone from the media asked Mariner about the team only needing a "tweak" when it seems the whole philosophy and playing style of the first team has now changed under him?

It was clear Winter wasn't able to take this team where it needed it go, but would it not have made more sense to bring in someone who would actually tweak things and not tear down was was built over the past 18 months?

Does anyone know if things have changed with the playing style of the academy teams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has anyone even commented on how ridiculous this article itself is? you know, the suggestion that TFC should actually be trying to get rid of one of it`s most skilled players, who`s also a hard worker? Or is it since Mariner doesn`t rate him, then getting rid of him must be the best thing we can do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larson is a cunt for calling the fans out of touch, that has got to be the most retarded shit i have heard in a while. We see whats going on with this organization, we dont have to have inside info to understand every aspect of the managment at TFC is fucked to its core.

Backstabing politcal bullshit is what is going on, not actually trying to win games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post-practice interview with Mariner is up on the TFC website:

Silva, Aceval, and Soolsma are not officially suspended. The league investigation is ongoing. Any decisions (e.g., inclusion on roster or not) are Mariner's decision up to now. Mariner confirmed that Aceval & Soolsma trained today & are available for selection for the Montreal game -- Silva anyway since he was already back on Saturday.

Plata (hamstring) and Cann (knee) are still injured.

More talk about the "young" backline. He sidestepped the question whether TFC still needs to hire central defensive reinforcements, but mentioned that Cann & Williams are missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would have to be a much, much longer contract because in a couple of years you'll be looking for another job and who will hire you?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It would have to be a much, much longer contract because in a couple of years you'll be looking for another job and who will hire you?
    DAIRY QUEEN!

But in all seriousness, I'm not the one hiring these guys, but in football, you work for your next paycheque (ahem de Guzman), and sometimes it doesn't matter where/when (ahem Drogba and Anelka in China)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    has anyone even commented on how ridiculous this article itself is? you know, the suggestion that TFC should actually be trying to get rid of one of it`s most skilled players, who`s also a hard worker? Or is it since Mariner doesn`t rate him, then getting rid of him must be the best thing we can do
    There are only 4 comments,there were 5 comments and 1st comment were poster asked how come Mariner is not responsible after being with the club for 18 months is GONE now.
    Feel free to let him know how you feel:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/24...sguise-for-tfc
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    There are only 4 comments,there were 5 comments and 1st comment were poster asked how come Mariner is not responsible after being with the club for 18 months is GONE now.
    Feel free to let him know how you feel:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/24...sguise-for-tfc
    good idea, I just did. was a pain in the ass to set up an account though. maybe I should set up a timer to see how long it takes for him to delete it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you're damn right!! geez, if you really believe you want a long term job in football, unless you're Cochrane or Brennan, wouldn't you have a modicum of self-respect? obviously, if what is being said is true he doesn't and if you believe it than he is nothing short of a weasel doing and saying whatever he can for position and money, CERTAINLY NOT FOR THE BADGE!!! the C@#T!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this was just joking around, but realistically that's not something you want to get known for ... unless the plan is to make this your last job.

But that being said, sometimes keeping your head down and not rocking the boat is what's called for.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If Larson is right and Mariner was hired to do scouting, player acquisition and player development but wasn't allowed to, it appears that:

1. There is no leader in charge able to step in and sort it. Imagine this happening at your place of work. Where a mid-manager dictates the role and responsibility of another middle manager and the VP does nothing about it. I can't.

2. Mariner had a choice. Follow or get out of the way. If Larson is to be believed, he chose to get out of the way.

3. If he backed off quietly, it means he offered nothing to this organization for over 18 months.

4. If he backed off but was passive aggressive about it, it means he effectively sabotaged the vision Winter was trying to implement his own vision.

Interesting in all of this is that Rongren and de Klerk still have a job here. In fact, de Klerk appears to have been shuffled to the only job Mariner is rumoured to have performed, International Scouting. Which seems to mean that either they both have come along for the 4-4-2 and WalMart inspired sideline attire show and abandoned their beliefs in "Total Football" or there is still a faction within the management team. That would mean that both are collecting a cheque until something better comes or the offseason rolls around. Whichever comes sooner.

I know John Carver said he left because of MLS officiating. I really question that now and would love to know if that is the real story. Seems like he had the most sense of anyone to get up and go.