Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF soolsma not playing means Lambe gets more minutes.
    I'm all for it.
    Talk of an exit for 'cap space' is a bit premature though. . .
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should the Reds manage to terminate a couple of contracts due to the arrests, having an extra $300,000 in cap to go about grabbing the central defender Aron Winter couldn’t find might start the process of turning the Reds in the right direction.

We should expect journalists to know a little bit about the structure of the team they are covering, like it was Mariner's job to find that central defender.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d

they need cap space to bring in the new centre back they are talking too
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why they(Mariner-Cochrane) did not bring that CB while Winter was here,or during the off season or pre season?

and OT don't expect Journalist to know who is doing what at TFC FO,TFC FO has know idea why some people are there and what are they doing.

It is to expect all blame will go on Winter,it is easy to blame the guy who is not around anymore.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    I'm all for it.
    Soolsma was hands down one of the better players this year. oh ya i get it, we're playing kick and run with a screaming maniac on the sidelines....wonderful..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

We should expect journalists to know a little bit about the structure of the team they are covering, like it was Mariner's job to find that central defender.
    This has been the key problem with TFC FO - whose job was what, exactly? Winter was credited with bringing in Kouvermans and Soolsma and a few other guys so is it crazy to have expected him to find a ventral defender, too?

This is pretty much what Pookie is on about with roster management, it has always been a mess with TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    I'm all for it.
    Why? Soolsma actually has technical ability and would fit in the system that Mariner is trying to play while Lambe is a winger that can't do shit in this system. It's a total shit show out there.

And why does the media have such a hard on for Mariner and hate WInter so much? It's disgusting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss MO

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Why they(Mariner-Cochrane) did not bring that CB while Winter was here,or during the off season or pre season?
    I'll bite:

Because they were setting up Winter to fail.

Of course, Winter aided them by being too inflexible (possibly due to inexperience). A really good coach could have gotten something out of this team even with the inexperienced backline. Winter wasn't good enough too handle the situation well.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Will post this in the blog section though wanted to give top billing to the Banner team for their efforts (and permission to use photo) as the weekend's banner is now on Sportsnet

http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012..._paul_mariner/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll bite:

Of course, Winter aided them by being too inflexible (possibly due to inexperience). A really good coach could have gotten something out of this team even with the inexperienced backline. Winter wasn't good enough too handle the situation well.
    maybe he was but he was better than where we're now headed imo - i would have liked to see some stability at the very least until the end of this year as frustrating as this start has been - in my mind we were headed in the right direction and as has been said it was Mariner's sole job to find talent, and he didn't. now he just runs up and down the sideline screaming and gesturing manically....maybe i'm just pissed and frustrated after 6 long years but i hate the fact we've gone to long ball - we look like England v Italy....a few moments of creativity and then total disorganization, actually england looked better...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Why? Soolsma actually has technical ability and would fit in the system that Mariner is trying to play while Lambe is a winger that can't do shit in this system. It's a total shit show out there.

And why does the media have such a hard on for Mariner and hate WInter so much? It's disgusting.
    My thinking is he is English and outspoken unlike Winter who was calm and collective so you never knew if hes was angry or happy. I dont care either way for me be honest except not look like a moneky on the touchline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is bobby still around? will he be the next coach when mariner is fired?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll bite:

It's all speculation, but I think Winter was told that immediate results were not as important as implementing the new culture and he believed them. We heard so much about "progress" for so long and no talk about results. Of course no one expected the team to lose nine straight and maybe Winter wasn't the right guy for the job, but the way he was treated still isn't right - though it's the way everybody else associated with this team has been treated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post

because the media is made up of mostly traditionalist english soccer guys. They didn`t like Winter because he was bringing a European style, while they all wanted a traditional NA/english style. And most Media guys were writing him off as a fail pretty much before he even started. They love Mariner because he`s bringing back the traditional NA style that they all love, and also because he`s English. Guys like Larson (I know, not English, but still traditionalist) have been treating Mariner as the second coming since his first training session (that`s not an exaggeration.

Also, why are they now acting like Soolsma is a useless extra that if we can get rid of him, that`s a good thing?.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Repeating same mistakes

Repeating same mistakes

It is a very inexperienced squad, as noted by Mariner, but that's not exactly a revelation we're just discovering now, so might it not be wise to have a more experienced coach in charge? Despite his years as assistant to Steve Nicol at New England, Mariner is still very inexperienced as a head coach, being the boss who makes the tactical decisions as well as mentally preparing the players. The problem is compounded by the earlier appointment of an equally inexperienced Jim Brennan to the assistant coach position. Of course every coach has to start somewhere, but does it always have to be TFC? Sadly, it's very much a pattern, as Mariner's 28-game stint at Plymouth Argyle actually makes him the second most experienced man to be given the position.
    Hopefully he can learn quickly. As he also said in his press conference "you don't mind players making mistakes, but if they keep on making the same mistakes, that's a problem"
    Yes, Paul, yes it is, and I'd say exactly the same about the coach.

Nicely written and spot on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the anti soccer pt 2...really how much shite must we take.
    if they cut soolsma because he had a few in houston,thats a fucking joke, he didnt rape someone or got caught with drugs or had a gun on him.you cut him if he sucks has a player.
    acieval sucks has a player so he can go.not because he had a few pops.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Kurtis Larson's Twitter, 1 hour ago:

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN
    Amazing so many #TFC fans blame Mariner for not finding players for Aron Winter. #OutOfTouch
    Then do please enlighten us, oh wise Kurtis Larson. WTF was Mariner doing for the past 18 months if he wasn't finding players for Winter? How about journalists start asking some tough questions, like WTF all these guys with strange titles at TFC/MLSE actually do, who the heck is actually in charge of what, WTF does "Director of Player Development" actually mean, etc? We were told at the beginning of the Winter era, that finding & signing players was Mariner's job. So it wasn't???

Mariner said in the past weeks after getting the coaching gig, that he didn't see much of the practices under Winter, that he was mostly working on international scouting and working with the Academy. (BTW, how many people are mucking about with management duties at the academy? How about spending some of that money on top coaches for every level? That's another topic though.)

So Mariner said publicly in an interview that he was working on international scouting under Winter. Who then is to blame for identifying & signing Andy Iro, Miguel Aceval, and Geovanny Caicedo? Who was supposed to find a backup striker for Danny K? Why are some journalists so quick to drink the Mariner cool aid? Please give us some more info Kurtis, otherwise you're just another guy talking shit. With the difference being, as a "professional" journalist, you should theorectically have more resources to chase down more of this story.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-25-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I've been chatting with him on Twitter about this.

The official job description that Anselmi fed us was "“Aron will oversee our entire soccer operation and set the soccer direction of Toronto FC. Paul will be responsible for our club’s scouting, player acquisition, player development and our Academy,” added Anselmi.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01...team-announced

His reply was that Winter ruled with an iron fist and therefore Mariner had no input on any of that. Which would mean that when MLSE sat down with him to do a 6 month performance review and he said "uh, well yeah about that... I'm not doing any of that because Aron told me not too... ", they apparently said, "ok then, carry on"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Will post this in the blog section though wanted to give top billing to the Banner team for their efforts (and permission to use photo) as the weekend's banner is now on Sportsnet

http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012..._paul_mariner/
    Nice work on getting the banner up there.

Kansas have been at their 4-3-3 for five years? That's news to me. Any insight on why it took them that long?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Yeah, I saw a couple of people chatting with Larson & saw that exchange. Thanks for following up!

The condescension in Larson's original tweet really pisses me off. So we fans are "#OutOfTouch" if we expect Mariner to be working according to his job description? How about TFC being out of touch for setting up such a bizarre arrangement, guys with totally different philosophies supposed to work together? And the media being out of touch for not getting the full story? It's kinda their job.

I don't have time right now to find Mariner's quote from last week, can't remember if he said he was "working on" or "in charge of" international scouting. So was that a lie as well?

I have a really hard time imagining that Winter or BDK found Andy Iro...

It's all a shit show, everything will get spun in every which way. Now of course everything will be blamed on Winter or whoever else is gone. Meanwhile we've heard from other journalists that Winter never had management support to do his job or to succeed. WTF??????
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-25-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Nice work on getting the banner up there.

Kansas have been at their 4-3-3 for five years? That's news to me. Any insight on why it took them that long?
    Same challenge as Winter was having. Finding the players to play it and changing the mentality. That said, I don't pretend to be an expert on the inner workings of SKC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    ^^ Yeah, I saw a couple of people chatting with Larson & saw that exchange. Thanks for following up!

The condescension in Larson's original tweet really pisses me off. So we fans are "#OutOfTouch" if we expect Mariner to be working according to his job description? How about TFC being out of touch for setting up such a bizarre arrangement, guys with totally different philosophies supposed to work together? And the media being out of touch for not getting the full story? It's kinda their job.

I don't have time right now to find Mariner's quote from last week, can't remember if he said he was "working on" or "in charge of" international scouting. So was that a lie as well?

I have a really hard time imagining that Winter or BDK found Andy Iro...

It's all a shit show, everything will get spun in every which way. Now of course everything will be blamed on Winter or whoever else is gone. Meanwhile we've heard from other journalists that Winter never had management support to do his job or to succeed. WTF??????
    My gut feeling is that if Mariner fails, he will be removed and Jim Brennan will become Anselmi's last long shot at keep season ticket renewals at a reasonable level. He might combine this with a price freeze/slight decrease. If Mariner starts to turn it around, he will use that as the "hope" to go along with the ticket freeze.

No inside info on that. Simply an opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Larson have some sort of connection with Mariner or the pro Mariner camp at TFC? He seems to be pushing the pro Mariner line pretty hard and he was also the person to break the arrest story form last week, which he is now reporting that TFC will use the arrests to get rid of a Winter player.

Maybe I am out lunch but I really don't like what I am seeing.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ Larson was also one of the first to tweet on the "night and day" difference at a Mariner training session v a Winter session.

That said, I have to assume there is no connection and he is simply just offering his opinion on the subject. His constant presence with the team may simply give him some access.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Larson was also one of the first to tweet on the "night and day" difference at a Mariner training session v a Winter session.

That said, I have to assume there is no connection and he is simply just offering his opinion on the subject. His constant presence with the team may simply give him some access.
    Of course the practice was "day and night"coaching possession vs hoofball is totally different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I've been chatting with him on Twitter about this.

The official job description that Anselmi fed us was "“Aron will oversee our entire soccer operation and set the soccer direction of Toronto FC. Paul will be responsible for our club’s scouting, player acquisition, player development and our Academy,” added Anselmi.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01...team-announced

His reply was that Winter ruled with an iron fist and therefore Mariner had no input on any of that. Which would mean that when MLSE sat down with him to do a 6 month performance review and he said "uh, well yeah about that... I'm not doing any of that because Aron told me not too... ", they apparently said, "ok then, carry on"
    Winter ruled with an iron fist eh? that`s odd because he really doesn`t seem like the iron fist control freak kind of manager. Unwavering in his vision, but not a control freak. I`m going to guess that it was more that Mariner didn`t agree with the types of players that Winter wanted because they werent`t his type of players. I highly doubt that Winter took on the task of international and domestic scouting and player acquisition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing one training session he said that after watch a Mariner training session it was that much more obvious that Winter had no idea how to run a practice. He also made a point to go on and on about how well the players were responding to Mariner and how upbeat they were. Of course ignoring the fact that there were plently of times under Winter when the team was upbeat during training.
    He pretty much has his own vision of how the game should be played and practiced (the traditional NA kick and run style), and since Mariner plays that way he loves him, and since Winter didn`t he portrays him as incompetent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mtl to start Di vaio weds vs tfc,thats great.
    mtl has scored 4 goals the last 2 home games,they must be licking there chops.
    when was the last time we scored 4 goal at home(yr 1 VS DAL),i miss those days.