Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Miss the Good Old Days

Anybody else miss the good old days of Toronto FC? Not saying we were always that powerful, but at least we had a decent record at times and were able to compete for longer stretches during the season. When the team first established, there was a buzz about toronto fc, tickets were sold, the atmosphere at BMO was much more intense, it was crazy. Now this franchise has turned into such a shamble its dissappointing. What sucks is that this is my team, and it always will be, I will rep Toronto FC until I die but the losing, the headlines, the coaching changes, and all the BS really makes supporting this franchise hard at times. I'm still going to the games and supporting the boys, but its going into the game with that feeling knowing that your chances of winning are so slim based on this season's record. I love soccer and love to watch a good football game and all I want out of the team is to play good footy regardless of outcome. If you play good footy you are bound to win more than you lose. Sorry for the rant but maybe someone from the franchise will read this and take it into consideration.

This franchise can be turned around but we need management that doesnt just suck the dollar out of its fans but honestly care to provide us with a franchise that has a winning mentality and accomodate us to be the wildest, craziest, most die hard fans we are.

anybody else agree?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to football!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC have never played consistently good football. Ever. The so called glory days of yesteryear were a product of pent up fan hype from just having a team in the first place. Part of that massive display of enthusiasm is why we are in the predicament we are in today. If it weren't for that, MLSE would never have been lauded as genius marketers for tapping into the football culture in the city. The truth is they just sat there, collected the pay cheques and proceeded to spend all of that good will capital on short term goals like maximizing season ticket/concessions revenue, stacking the team with locals just because and ridiculous mid season friendlies.

A lot of the big decisions our front office have made were based on knee jerk reactions to the market. Nothing is ever about the long term. When they do talk about the long term, they just talk. The revolving door of players and coaches coupled with the price gouging is turning people off in droves. It's hard to get excited about a team that can't string a few passes together, let alone score nice goals and play a tight defense. Multiply that with the "who is that" factor and you're going to turn off even the most adamant of supporters.

Also for the record, I was a STH for the first 5 years and commute from Guelph. In the off season I said "fuck it" and spent my $1000 on a trip to LA and Seattle. Looking back I can say it was SOOOOOOO worth it. I only plan on going to CCL games and the odd regular season game from now on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"This franchise can be turned around but we need management that doesnt just suck the dollar out of its fans but honestly care to provide us with a franchise that has a winning mentality and accomodate us to be the wildest, craziest, most die hard fans we are."

Is this a rally call to storm all the MLSE offices simultaneously? A coup de main? I cannot think of a more noble cause or outcome.

"I will rep Toronto FC until I die"

Your message of defiance to all current TFC poo-pooers is beautiful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have missed 1 game in the last 3 years. I plan on skipping the next two. Nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well either way the players that were on previous year's teams provided more competition and hope than this year's squad. Having a TorontoFC ticket back in the day was like holding onto a golden ticket to willy wonka's chocolate factory. It's still nice to have a ticket these day's but there is always that overarching feeling that torontofc will dissappoint on gameday. thats all that needs to change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that the MLSE isn't just sitting back and relaxing on this year's 1-10-0 record. I bet they are sweating their balls off because they know that the franchise is in shambles and by the looks of the crowd from being there it seem's as dead as ever. I'm sure they want to turn BMO field back into the loudest most rowdy place to be in the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When, or which, Toronto sports team will realize the untapped insanity of Toronto sports fans?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    I have missed 1 game in the last 3 years. I plan on skipping the next two. Nuff said.
    My question is why are u skipping, that is a question that you could ask a lot of people in recent times, I know a lot of people , not so much hardcore supporters but very interested fans who would be there every game but now have no problem finding something else to do.

I for one love this team, and looking forward to being at the next four gameS, two at home, midweek in Montreal and then heading down to Philadelphia a week later. I guess it is very deeply routed in my blood.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

isn't yagbod not going to the next one due to protesting dead afghan civilians?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    isn't yagbod not going to the next one due to protesting dead afghan civilians?
    Um no Mr. P.C. veteran. I believe the Yagbod fam has those plans that all of us have tried to fanagle our way out of over the years.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Um no Mr. P.C. veteran. I believe the Yagbod fam has those plans that all of us have tried to fanagle our way out of over the years.
    If it's family, vacation, personal choice, I respect that. I missing two games so far due to different reasons. On July 28th I am going to Baltimore/DC for both Liverpool Spurs and Juventus DC United on the same day. My professional life, a member of the Ticats front office means I will be missing a game in September too.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    An excellent statement regarding supporters no longer willing to BS their way out of other 'stuff' to support TFC. FFS, I remember praying for sick relatives not to die on certain days because the funeral would conflict with a match - Come on Grandma, hang on until Monday! Then when my prayers were answered, turning around and praying that they would croak asap so we could get them planted before the next match.

Yes, I'm going to hell. I'll say hi to Tom, Mo and DeRo (just kidding) for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    When, or which, Toronto sports team will realize the untapped insanity of Toronto sports fans?
    Al TFc needs is a little bit of success with some competitive football and the buzz will return for me, but I am getting kind of tired, I'll still be at games and still cheering, but it is getting harder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Myself too. Especially harder to carry on the conversations where I ridiculously support TFC to the ire of my buddies. We are so ridiculed (Leaf and Raptor fans included) for supporting a "shitty team" when really we are supporting an amazing sport in an amazing city which happens to have the tentacle of MLSE wrapped around it. When I say hostile takeover of MLSE, I really, really REALLY mean it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post

amazing isn't it.......makes you wonder why it hasn't happenned
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post

you "fans" drive me insane!

I followed Oxford United from Division One (now the premiership) all the way down to the conference. I followed them when they went into recievership, couldn't pay their players, nearly went totally out of business, and had the worst league record in the history of League 1. I had a season ticket for EVERY season when they dropped like a stone out of the football league. I followed them when they got relegated out of the league altogether and into the Conference. I was upset at times, and it was hard to watch at times, but NEVER did I give up hope. I went to all their away games, spending thousands of pounds following my team around the country.

you TFC fans who are saying "they don't want to watch anymore" are pathetic. Where is your backbone? I will watch TFC if they lose every one of their games. I won't give up until TFC are winning the league and lifting trophies...no matter how long that takes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I'll be labelled a "casual" or heretic, but since F/O has stopped trying, I've been following the team a LOT less. Yes I do read the articles and follow results, but my interest has wanned and I have not been to any games this year. Work and life just happen to get in the way and while I used to have TFC around other things, it's not taken a back seat.
    Although an way tie is promising...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am from Toronto. Where am I going to hide?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post

I followed Oxford United from Division One (now the premiership) all the way down to the conference. I followed them when they went into recievership, couldn't pay their players, nearly went totally out of business, and had the worst league record in the history of League 1. I had a season ticket for EVERY season when they dropped like a stone out of the football league. I followed them when they got relegated out of the league altogether and into the Conference. I was upset at times, and it was hard to watch at times, but NEVER did I give up hope. I went to all their away games, spending thousands of pounds following my team around the country.

you TFC fans who are saying "they don't want to watch anymore" are pathetic. Where is your backbone? I will watch TFC if they lose every one of their games. I won't give up until TFC are winning the league and lifting trophies...no matter how long that takes.
    I wonder if the cost of your season tickets to Oxford doubled on its way to the Conference?

Oxford is a club that has represented its community for decades.

TFC is a franchise which primary goal is to make money for MLSE. I don't fault any fan for becomming jaded about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll watch and follow the team and I do try to keep up with the latest news, but this club is a revolving door. So it's not easy.
    As for following a team, why do I have to spend my money to be a "fan"? There is no price tag attached that makes 1 person a better fan than other.

Besides I'm a Canadian soccer team fan. I know what it's like to to cheer/follow a team that few people (although growing) believe in.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll be dead by that time. I plan on heading to Brazil in 2014. Not a TFC game until after that. Unless I can get a 90 buck ticket on Groupon for 5 bucks. Ahhh I might be there by August...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss the old days too. There were way more laughs.

Has to be said, we had Fortress BMO until we got grass. That made a big difference. Vancouver is not as good as their home record would suggest.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    I'll watch and follow the team and I do try to keep up with the latest news, but this club is a revolving door. So it's not easy.
    As for following a team, why do I have to spend my money to be a "fan"? There is no price tag attached that makes 1 person a better fan than other.

Besides I'm a Canadian soccer team fan. I know what it's like to to cheer/follow a team that few people (although growing) believe in.

I guess I could go into the definitions of "fan" as oposed to "supporter". Fan who just follows a team and shows an interest, rather than supporter who financially/physically/mentally supports the team on a weekly basis.

So, if you are a fan, then that's fine. But those so called "supporters" who are throwing in the towel already really need to get a grip! You're either in for the long haul (and sometimes following a footbal is a long LONG haul!) or you aren't a supporter at all!

And to the guy who said that Oxford United have been a community club for years.....I wouldn't say that to anybody ever employed by Robert Maxwell!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I could go into the definitions of "fan" as oposed to "supporter". Fan who just follows a team and shows an interest, rather than supporter who financially/physically/mentally supports the team on a weekly basis.

So, if you are a fan, then that's fine. But those so called "supporters" who are throwing in the towel already really need to get a grip! You're either in for the long haul (and sometimes following a footbal is a long LONG haul!) or you aren't a supporter at all!

And to the guy who said that Oxford United have been a community club for years.....I wouldn't say that to anybody ever employed by Robert Maxwell!
    Well I meant fan and supporter as interchangeable words in my case, but see the difference. I guess I am a fan. But again, I don't see why spending more than someone else makes them a "better" fan than someone else. Not every can spend lots.
    As for me, I'm in it for the long haul!
    I do miss the early years though as well...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Well I meant fan and supporter as interchangeable words in my case, but see the difference. I guess I am a fan. But again, I don't see why spending more than someone else makes them a "better" fan than someone else. Not every can spend lots.
    As for me, I'm in it for the long haul!
    I do miss the early years though as well...

My coments aren't anything to do with you. You sound like a solid fan who knows how to support as and when he can.

I miss the squirrel, personally!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is a franchise, not a club. We are nothing more than a customer number to MLSE.

I've put in my time for over 5 years. I've been rewarded with non-stop ticket increases, (current year excluded), a continuous losing team, a revolving door of coaches and players and an ownership who see nothing wrong with this because it's a recipe that works well for their other golden geese.

I miss the good ol days as well, because I was naive enough to think MLSE wouldn't cock this up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I started supporting and following Fulham, they were in consistent danger of being relegated to the conference. I was a kid and Craven Cottage in the mid-90s was not exactly what it is today, and the football was brutal, but it was football and you went to enjoy it. A bad result was a bad result. You took it in your stride, and looked forward to the next match. It's the same today for me with any team I follow in any sport I follow.

Of course you want your team to win, but some people only want to follow a winner. That mentality I don't fully understand. It must get awfully boring following a perennial winner. The greatest fun for me in watching sport is the wonderful feeling one gets when a struggling or mediocre side gets things together and goes on a run and has success. Fulham's Europa League run is sure to be one of the highlights of my sport-following life.

Of course, TFC supporters apparently don't only want to follow a winner, for the most part, but some of them seem to be trending that way. Oh well. If you ask me, losing that sort is no great loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_121 View Post
    TFC is a franchise, not a club.
    I don't think this distinction is compelling. Many 'proper clubs' operate as money-making machines similar to North American franchises. The reality is that 'the club' is something that exists on an abstract level. The Winnipeg Jets is not the same franchise as the one that became the Coyotes, but I dare you to really argue that this matters to the Jets fans today. Winnipeg really did get the Jets back, regardless of the on-paper fact that the old Jets franchise is in Phoenix and the current Jets franchise was the Atlanta Thrashers.

TFC for me exists as a club on that abstract level. MLSE's abuses of TFC's fans does not affect my affection for TFC. The ownership is not the club. That is true of 'proper clubs' with shitty, abusive ownerships as well. I don't understand the history argument, either. Ask a Mets fan who started following the team from the start if his shitty, woeful, ball club meant anything less to him or other fans after 5 years of the Mets than the Yankees did to Yankees fans after decades of representing New York and weaving a rich mythology.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    I don't think this distinction is compelling. Many 'proper clubs' operate as money-making machines similar to North American franchises. The reality is that 'the club' is something that exists on an abstract level. The Winnipeg Jets is not the same franchise as the one that became the Coyotes, but I dare you to really argue that this matters to the Jets fans today. Winnipeg really did get the Jets back, regardless of the on-paper fact that the old Jets franchise is in Phoenix and the current Jets franchise was the Atlanta Thrashers.

TFC for me exists as a club on that abstract level. MLSE's abuses of TFC's fans does not affect my affection for TFC. The ownership is not the club. That is true of 'proper clubs' with shitty, abusive ownerships as well. I don't understand the history argument, either. Ask a Mets fan who started following the team from the start if his shitty, woeful, ball club meant anything less to him or other fans after 5 years of the Mets than the Yankees did to Yankees fans after decades of representing New York and weaving a rich mythology.
    I have no problem supporting a crappy club. I think we can all agree that MLS is bush league to begin with. What I have a problem with is being bent over by MLSE year after year.

Do you have any stats on Mets ticket prices? I have a feeling that after 4 disastrous years, their ticket prices weren't up by 75% from year 1.

And let's have a look at this:
    http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...73590&c_id=nym

Mets reduce ticket prices for 2011

Coming off a second consecutive fourth-place finish in 2010, the Mets instituted double-digit price reductions on more than half of Citi Field's seats. Though single-game tickets now start at $12, compared to $11 last year, the Mets also increased the percentage of tickets available at $15 or less.
    "Affordability has always been an important component to all our programs and plans, because we feel we are the people's team," executive vice president of business operations David Howard said. "We are always mindful of that. We're a family-oriented, fan-friendly organization, and affordability is still key."

Do you honestly think this would ever happen with MLSE as the owners?

Last edited by Kyle_121; 06-21-2012 at 12:17 AM.