Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pre/In/Post match TFC @ Houston: 3 - 3

So here is PM's second match as boss. Will we see a turnaround for TFC?

My guess is, probably not. My scoreline, 2-0 Houston.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-19-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-1. We'll get a goal but show no sign of proper defending still.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be astounded if the team can do any worse than Sat. My number one focus will be cohesion. I won't predict a score out of superstition but they must be working on what to do without the ball.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it'll be a tighter game than Saturday. Houston has trouble scoring. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them score off a set piece, as that's their specialty and our achilles heel. I'm going to be optimistic and guess a 1-1 draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If ever there was a game TFC was poised to win, it's this one - road game, drunken bar fights, short rest, new coach - really, a recipe for success.

But it'll be close, 2-1 TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They will use the heat and this incident as an excuse in Houston and lose 3-1. DK scores tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston has the same finishing problems as TFC, but have a really tight defence. I'll say 2-0 Houston, since a visit from Toronto seems to cure whatever scoring ailments a team is suffering from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The boys will respond well to the latest debacle.

2-1 TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"He gets up and down the touch line like he's running from the cops!"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here comes a victory. I can sense it. Andy Welsh will return from the grave to score for TFC and show the lads his spinning-wavy arm dance.

Side note: just watched a youtube clip of TFC's best goal in 2007. It really is sad how much better that team was than, well, probably any team we have ever had.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Just One Man View Post

Side note: just watched a youtube clip of TFC's best goal in 2007. It really is sad how much better that team was than, well, probably any team we have ever had.
    ummm. no. Take a look at the stat book.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston are undefeated since moving into their new pad, sporting a 3-0-1 record.

Dynamo win 2-0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DK scores, our D lets in a softy, 1-1.

Looking forward to seeing the new Houston stadium in action. That place looks sweet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings will show how real men drink leading to a "German hangover" the next day. Frings will play like he is 25 and score two world class goals with a tribute to Silva's late dad during his celbration.

AMEN!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see TFC play and yes Win, Lose or Draw as a TEAM, You would think they would learn from the Netherlands fiasco at the European Championships that individuals, no matter how good they may be, will never be successful, you must first be a team and then you become winners, at least play like you give a fuck about the crest, your team mates and your supporters.
    1-1 draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston win 2-0.

We still have no speed up front, refuse to play any creative CM's and are terrible on D and set pieces. I look forward to counting the number of times Ecks boots the ball to no one up the wing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will have 3 outfield subs on the bench...

Asif Hossain ‏@asifintoronto As you've heard, the bench thin for #TorontoFC tomorrow. With Cann injured, only three available subs + Roberts (GK). #TFC #MLS

What Asif? No mention of the other reason why two other players aren't on the bench?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Correct. As per Mariner http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/0...r-june-19-2012

the TFC 3 are currently not with the team, likely sent back to Toronto, so they're not available to play. Not sure if Williams will be available as a sub -- in other interviews from yesterday, they said he might be.

What I don't understand: TFC has a much bigger roster than that. Can't they stick three of the other guys that they left in Toronto, onto a plane to get them to Houston? There are at least 5 scheduled flights per day, Toronto - Houston, and the flight only take 2 to 3 hours. They could have already been there tonight. I don't get it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    ^ Correct. As per Mariner http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/0...r-june-19-2012

the TFC 3 are currently not with the team, likely sent back to Toronto, so they're not available to play. Not sure if Williams will be available as a sub -- in other interviews from yesterday, they said he might be.

What I don't understand: TFC has a much bigger roster than that. Can't they stick three of the other guys that they left in Toronto, onto a plane to get them to Houston? There are at least 5 scheduled flights per day, Toronto - Houston, and the flight only take 2 to 3 hours. They could have already been there tonight. I don't get it.
    Mariner is not Winter,he does not believe in our youngsters,pragmatist like him will have short roster with more experience players in order to win a game or two to save his and Anlemi's ass.This is why we will have 3 players on the bench tomorrow and boys that were brought up from academy will end up in CSL.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have no chance.

2-0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Mariner is not Winter,he does not believe in our youngsters,pragmatist like him will have short roster with more experience players in order to win a game or two to save his and Anlemi's ass.This is why we will have 3 players on the bench tomorrow and boys that were brought up from academy will end up in CSL.
    I just dont get how he could rate almost half the roster as being worse than an empty spot on the bench. Fuuuck
    Last edited by Ajax TFC; 06-19-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: For shits 'n' giggles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I just dont get how he could rate almost half the roster as being worse than an empty spot on the bench. Fuuuck

Things just get worse with TFC. I bet Dunfield starts almost every game for the rest of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Adrian Cann aggravating his previous knee injury in KC and Aceval suspended, it looks like either Harden or Williams will step in on the back line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    With all due respect Denime, you really have no basis to make such a statement. Morgan, Henry, and Silva all played significant minutes against SKC under Mariner's direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    With all due respect Denime, you really have no basis to make such a statement. Morgan, Henry, and Silva all played significant minutes against SKC under Mariner's direction.
    Mariner choose to start only one of them and that was out of necessity. Morgan came in because of an injury and I doubt he would have been subbed on otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's about time Harden got another shot. I've thought he looked okay in the early going, better than he ever had for us. He's developed into a serviceable central defender, if mainly depth. I wouldn't read much into the young guys - first game back after international play likely factored into Morgan's not starting.

Morgan, Ecks, Hall and Harden wouldn't be too bad across the back line, although they may use Henry instead of Hall. Bring Williams in for part of the game, after the 60th minute.

JDG and Frings in the middle, Lambe and Avila wide. (Edit - originally posted Aceval - must be the events of the last few days playing on me)

Johnson and Danny K up front, and sub in Plata at about the 60th as well.

Unlikely to see a result but would like to see a more competitive game than Saturday. Houston hasn't lost at home in a year and are in a new stadium. Should be raucous. And the events of the week will probably feed the Houston fans, whether the players involved are there or not.
    Last edited by CoachGT; 06-20-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who were the alternatives to any of those players?

The roster is a mess. He has no choice but to play those guys...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Mariner choose to start only one of them and that was out of necessity. Morgan came in because of an injury and I doubt he would have been subbed on otherwise.
    Morgan didn't play in any of the qualifying games. The trip to Cuba was weeks ago now. His international commitments weren't part of the decision, or at least a big one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry started because there was no one else to start at CB. Morgan only came on for Cann because there were no other CBs. And now if reports are true, we're playing the game tonight with only three subs because Mariner doesn't rate half the squad (including Cordon, Stinson, Burgos, etc.) as being worth bringing along on the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Morgan didn't play in any of the qualifying games. The trip to Cuba was weeks ago now. His international commitments weren't part of the decision, or at least a big one.
    not to mention that Johnson actually played during the international break and still started the game on saturday