Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Right now I hope Mariner is just trying to stop the bleeding, stop letting in 3-4 goals a game and stop allowing the other team to play the game they want - score a goal or two and then watch TFC pass it around for a while before taking it back.

Did people really complain about Preki's team winning boring, 1-0 games? Seems like a long time ago that this team had the lead against a good team and held it. Did Preki's firing have more to do with the way he handled contracts or with his coaching?

We don't have to shrug and say, "MLS is what it is," but we do have to recognize that TFC is the worst team in the league and has a long way to go to be one of the best teams. Maybe this is one step back to take two steps forward, maybe it'll be a disaster, who knows.
    Somebody made a good point a while back about TFC marketing Preki as the guy who would push us over the hump, when really the second he came in it was re-build time. The salary levels from the prior year were unsustainable and TFC was destined to blow-up regardless of whether we made the playoffs or not.

That being said, I think the observation about him being the coach of MLS past rather than the future is apt. We didn't have enough 1-0 wins to keep people happy and when we were losing there were no redeeming qualities of the team, it was just a bunch of grinders playing a rigid formation. These younger guys like Kreis, Olsen, etc.. they just seem to get something the previous generation of coaches do not and they are surpassing the old guard rather quickly it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now I hope Mariner is just trying to stop the bleeding, stop letting in 3-4 goals a game and stop allowing the other team to play the game they want - score a goal or two and then watch TFC pass it around for a while before taking it back.

Did people really complain about Preki's team winning boring, 1-0 games? Seems like a long time ago that this team had the lead against a good team and held it. Did Preki's firing have more to do with the way he handled contracts or with his coaching?

We don't have to shrug and say, "MLS is what it is," but we do have to recognize that TFC is the worst team in the league and has a long way to go to be one of the best teams. Maybe this is one step back to take two steps forward, maybe it'll be a disaster, who knows.
    Yeah they did. People didn't want to win ugly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah they did. People didn't want to win ugly.
    It's marketing genuis to get people to complain about winning. Imagine, people in Toronto complaining about winning .

I hope that in a few years the team will be where it would have been had it stayed the course with Winter, just maybe take a different route to get there. But they do have a tough road ahead. The whole league is getting better. They'll have to scout and convince the kids with the most potential to join their academy and then they'll have to convince them to stay with TFC - that's tough to do when your first team is described by it's own player as the worst team ithe world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC became too predictable under Winter and opponents were breaking us down easily as a result. The overwhelming majority of our (league worst) goals against were scored on the counter attack, with teams just waiting to pounce on an inevitable errant pass in the defensive half of the pitch. I see nothing wrong with a conservative approach on the defensive end.

Furthermore, contrary to popular belief, I thought TFC relied too much on the long ball in the offensive third of the pitch under Winter, with sequences breaking down far too often as a result of a constant reliance on lobbing balls into the box from the wings. I think a more direct attacking style that invlolves more variance and creativity through the middle of the offensive third of the pitch could be more effective as well.

Let's not forget that TFC wasn't exactly an offensive juggernaut under Winter. Our offensive production under Winter was just as pathetic as our defensive record.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 06-15-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Like many other people said before,I rather lose 4-3 in attractive game than win 1-0 with Preki ball,and I stay by that.
    Wow... I don't really know what to say to that.

If I am coaching kids I would rather the kids play proper than put a big kid in front of the net and hoof it up to him to score, but that is about development. If I am talking about a pro-team, I want to win.

Did you find the Canada vs. Honduras game interesting/attractive?

I ask because personally I thought it was phenomenal, even a 0-0 result it was an amazing game, gorgeous to watch and I don't know the number of times I said 'wow' during that match.

I feel sad that I have to go back to watching MLS live again after that, I would take 10 of those over 10 4-3 'exciting' losses (meaning goals scored)

I want QUALITY play on the field, I want to say 'wow nice ball' and 'here it comes... wow!' as I watch a gorgeous play unfold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like many other people said before,I rather lose 4-3 in attractive game than win 1-0 with Preki ball,and I stay by that.
    I realize it's not what you mean, but that sounds like all those complaints from Americans that soccer is too low scoring and boring.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My God. That people think they can demand "beautiful football" from an MLS side is an absolute joke. No, actually, it is a joke when Brazilians demand it of their national team. Demanding beautiful football from TFC is downright delusional.

In retrospect, the "We Deserve Better" banner was probably indicative of a serious problem with the most strident of TFC supporters. This notion that, not only do we deserve a team, but a SSS, and not just a SSS, but a SSS with real grass...and a roof...and we don't just deserve an MLS team, we deserve a winning MLS team. And not just a winning MLS team, but a winning MLS team that plays aesthetically pleasing football.

And I am sure that, should the hypothetical day come, when TFC is playing beautiful, winning football, we will start to hear complaints about something else, whether it be a lack of Canadians, or a lack of "grit", or whatever else TFC fans think they "deserve".

As for the actual formation, judging by the doom and gloom around here, I assume that without Winter's master plan, all eleven players will just wander about aimlessly or chase the ball like a bunch of 6 year olds. If only we still had Aron Winter to implement his obviously dominant "system".

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I realize it's not what you mean, but that sounds like all those complaints from Americans that soccer is too low scoring and boring.
    Maybe we are getting a little bit too micro?

In any sport, there are teams that innovate and teams that follow. From the Shotgun formation in NA Football to the "Trap" in the NHL, some teams are motivated to try something new. That new thing might not be exciting but it can be effective. If effective, you can be sure that other teams will try to copy it.

TFC and "Total Football" wasn't about a revolutionary world wide system but it was relatively new to the MLS.

Seems like much of the concern is that we've abandoned the new thing and gone back to what most teams are doing. We will slug away at a traditional MLS style and may improve our results over the short term.

Ironically, if SKC and others that attempt possession minded football have success, there will be more that abandon the approach that we have appeared to have fallen back on.

Just seems like we are out of ideas and that's depressing. We might win a few games but does anyone expect trophies as a result of going this route? Further, does anyone think that Mariner can get them back the CCL Semi Finals, playing a different and apparently more traditional MLS stlye?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It seems like Mariner is trying to significantly "dumb down" the game. Maybe that's all we can expect. Maybe the bulk of MLS players can't play a more beautiful game. Maybe we'll have to wait until the academy players grow up to see quality football here. Maybe we should just shrug our shoulders and say "MLS, it is what it is."

Somehow, though, I've seen glimpses of something better. Maybe the Dutch/Spanish system is too complicated for MLS regulars. However, RSL played very attractive football against Mexican sides... I could hardly believe what I was watching as coming from MLS! We've also seen some good football from Seattle and KC.

I fear maybe Mariner's taking too far the other extreme. Somewhere, a midpoint between the extremes of Barcelona and League 2 is the right point for a good MLS squad, not all the way to League 2 hoofball.

MLS has progressed since Mariner's early days with the Revs, and maybe we don't need to dumb down the game quite so much as he seems to want. We'll see what he actually does soon enough, though.
    When was the last time you (or the majority of people on this forum) saw a League 2 game?

I must say I'm always totally surprised every time I go see my (original) team Oxford United in League 2. They play some VERY good football, and the quality of games always surprises me. The days where lower league English football is "hoofball" is far behind us. Oxford actually play 4-3-3 and play it up the wings and then a short pass into the striker (James Constable, VERY good player who could easily play a league or two above, and is a much better striker than most of the players we've ever had as TFC number 9). Paolo Di Canio had Swindon playing some extremely attractive passing football last season. I think most of you guys would be very surprised at the overall quality of League 2 football these days. Northampton are the only team in League 2 that really play the long ball (as they have a GIANT playing up front...he's also as wide as he is tall, haha!) these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Maybe we are getting a little bit too micro?

In any sport, there are teams that innovate and teams that follow. From the Shotgun formation in NA Football to the "Trap" in the NHL, some teams are motivated to try something new. That new thing might not be exciting but it can be effective. If effective, you can be sure that other teams will try to copy it.

TFC and "Total Football" wasn't about a revolutionary world wide system but it was relatively new to the MLS.

Seems like much of the concern is that we've abandoned the new thing and gone back to what most teams are doing. We will slug away at a traditional MLS style and may improve our results over the short term.

Ironically, if SKC and others that attempt possession minded football have success, there will be more that abandon the approach that we have appeared to have fallen back on.

Just seems like we are out of ideas and that's depressing. We might win a few games but does anyone expect trophies as a result of going this route? Further, does anyone think that Mariner can get them back the CCL Semi Finals, playing a different and apparently more traditional MLS stlye?
    Getting into the CCL semi finals will depend a lot on how important it is to the other MLS teams we'd have to beat to get there. Even a more traditional MLS style likely would have beaten Dallas (everyone was beating them at that time) and maybe even LA at that time. One game, anything can happen, right .

I still think long term plan is the same but someone recognized that it's vert, vert difficult to convince players tomsign with your team and acadamy kids to commit to an organization when the first team is described by its own player as, "the worst team in the world." That says a lot about the whole organization.

It's far from a given that this organization has the ability to build from within but is there a possibility that short-term results with players that will be gone in two years a bad thing?

This organization (and all its teams) seriously underestimate their competition year after year. They never talk about what they need to do to beat the other teams, just what they want themselves to look like.

Maybe we're getting too micro (or maybe I don't know what that means ), but this team needs to be competitive in the league its in in order to build anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting into the CCL semi finals will depend a lot on how important it is to the other MLS teams we'd have to beat to get there. Even a more traditional MLS style likely would have beaten Dallas (everyone was beating them at that time) and maybe even LA at that time. One game, anything can happen, right .

I still think long term plan is the same but someone recognized that it's vert, vert difficult to convince players tomsign with your team and acadamy kids to commit to an organization when the first team is described by its own player as, "the worst team in the world." That says a lot about the whole organization.

It's far from a given that this organization has the ability to build from within but is there a possibility that short-term results with players that will be gone in two years a bad thing?

This organization (and all its teams) seriously underestimate their competition year after year. They never talk about what they need to do to beat the other teams, just what they want themselves to look like.

Maybe we're getting too micro (or maybe I don't know what that means ), but this team needs to be competitive in the league its in in order to build anything.
    I agree! its like everything we do especially as far as scouting is concerned is always a year behind the league. There's no question the quality of the football has drastically improved and imo we're always a step behind that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Just One Man View Post
    My God. That people think they can demand "beautiful football" from an MLS side is an absolute joke. No, actually, it is a joke when Brazilians demand it of their national team. Demanding beautiful football from TFC is downright delusional.

In retrospect, the "We Deserve Better" banner was probably indicative of a serious problem with the most strident of TFC supporters. This notion that, not only do we deserve a team, but a SSS, and not just a SSS, but a SSS with real grass...and a roof...and we don't just deserve an MLS team, we deserve a winning MLS team. And not just a winning MLS team, but a winning MLS team that plays aesthetically pleasing football.

And I am sure that, should the hypothetical day come, when TFC is playing beautiful, winning football, we will start to hear complaints about something else, whether it be a lack of Canadians, or a lack of "grit", or whatever else TFC fans think they "deserve".

As for the actual formation, judging by the doom and gloom around here, I assume that without Winter's master plan, all eleven players will just wander about aimlessly or chase the ball like a bunch of 6 year olds. If only we still had Aron Winter to implement his obviously dominant "system".
    So no one deserves better football or any improvement and you had no confidence in Winter? Just trying to follow the hyperbole and sarcasm. I've been through the thread and don't see a formation actually given. Care to contribute?

I'm pretty confident a middle ground can be found between the worst hoofball and total football.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 06-15-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    When was the last time you (or the majority of people on this forum) saw a League 2 game?
    Gotta admit it's been quite some time... and what I remember is 4-4-2 longball... if it's improved, that's great.

Where is Andy Welsh these days? (Just checked, league 1 Carlisle, not bad for him).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-15-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    I agree! its like everything we do especially as far as scouting is concerned is always a year behind the league. There's no question the quality of the football has drastically improved and imo we're always a step behind that.
    That's the thing. If any of our teams from 2008-2010 were playing in 2005, they would have won the MLS Cup! The amount of progress in this league is impressive.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Wow... I don't really know what to say to that.

If I am coaching kids I would rather the kids play proper than put a big kid in front of the net and hoof it up to him to score, but that is about development. If I am talking about a pro-team, I want to win.

Did you find the Canada vs. Honduras game interesting/attractive?

I ask because personally I thought it was phenomenal, even a 0-0 result it was an amazing game, gorgeous to watch and I don't know the number of times I said 'wow' during that match.

I feel sad that I have to go back to watching MLS live again after that, I would take 10 of those over 10 4-3 'exciting' losses (meaning goals scored)

I want QUALITY play on the field, I want to say 'wow nice ball' and 'here it comes... wow!' as I watch a gorgeous play unfold.
    Than why did ML$E fired Preki in the first place?Preki was playing defense first he was getting results,we were few games away from making a playoffs with Gargans FFS.

People were complaining back than that they rather see entertaining game and lose than Preki ball,and for some strange reason many were happy when Dasovic took over and TFC got more goals scored against in first 5 games than with Preki in last 14 games. We got what we asked for,ML$E was listening and they wanted to make sure costumer is happy and will buy Season Tickets again,they fired Preki after 9 months and sold us "total football" with Winter as Head coach.

Idea sounded great,coach choice was wrong,so instead of hiring a coach capable of running 433 formation while containing pass and move fluid attacking system,we are now back to square one,defense,boot,run and you are ok with that.

Let's see how long is going to take before people realize we are being fucked from ML$E once again in order to renew ST,and not to get what they promised 18 months ago,club philosophy change and long term stability.

and Please don't compare NT teams with MLS, apples and oranges,both teams knew how to control the ball and possession much better tan any MLS team.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Than why did ML$E fired Preki in the first place?Preki was playing defense first he was getting results,we were few games away from making a playoffs with Gargans FFS.

People were complaining back than that they rather see entertaining game and lose than Preki ball,and for some strange reason many were happy when Dasovic took over and TFC got more goals scored against in first 5 games than with Preki in last 14 games. We got what we asked for,ML$E was listening and they wanted to make sure costumer is happy and will buy Season Tickets again,they fired Preki after 9 months and sold us "total football" with Winter as Head coach.

Idea sounded great,coach choice was wrong,so instead of hiring a coach capable of running 433 formation while containing pass and move fluid attacking system,we are now back to square one,defense,boot,run and you are ok with that.

Let's see how long is going to take before people realize we are being fucked from ML$E once again in order to renew ST,and not to get what they promised 18 months ago,club philosophy change and long term stability.

and Please don't compare NT teams with MLS, apples and oranges,both teams knew how to control the ball and possession much better tan any MLS team.
    I think we THINK MLSE is screwing us, but really if they are listening to the fans they should be applauded for that. Isnt that what a company should do? Listen to their customers?

We may just need to start looking in the mirror to find the root of TFC's problems.

All that said, I think a defensive game can still be exciting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wish every reporter didn't keep asking.. what system what system.

Winter screwed up... When key players were injured he didn't adapt in a way that worked, and his system relied entirely on using Frings in the back and Koev in the front. and if one or the other or both are at form then everything falls apart.

Mariner is saying he doesn't care about the system, and will play what will work with the players he's got. What he's got is 2 Centre Backs that don't have loads of pace, a lot of young players, some older players and some utility players. If you look at DC United they have 9-10 players that are 24 or younger... we have 16 many of whom are primary choices, followed by another player of similar age as the second choice.

Yet mistakes are being made, the mistakes are either a suggestion that the players are the wrong players, or the system was being over complicated, or was not a good system and was easy to anticipate and strip the player of the ball. Be it because the opponent was playing football where our boys were thinking about playing football too much,

See with 8 to 15 year olds in house leagues they aren't the most talented, they aren't the most aware, and the systems used are usually a little more fluid.

What we have seen on the pitch this year suggests a few things, one of or a combination must be true.

Either Winter made bad managerial choices in filling out positions in the club to make things viable when key players are hurt or are in a slump. Winter was not conveying the system well enough for the player to full understand and grasp it, he was changing what he wanted players to do, the system was to simple to anticipate by opposing sides, or just didn't work in anyway against counter attacking sides, or there isn't enough experience on the Pitch to make it viable at a professional level.

If the players aren't grasping the system you have to do a few things, either change things up either with players or system. If you are missing pieces (like defenders with enough pace and skill to go 1 v 1) then you need to get on your staff to find you one... (like in pre season) If the system isn't working due to no direct fault of the players then you need to change things up... If the players are not good, then don't sign them.

So we are left with several options. If Winter's system didn't work, because Winter designed it poorly, or because of player performance which he couldn't improve, which means he shouldn't be head coach and the new Coach needs to change something. If Winter's system wasn't working because of inexperience, lack of desire or lack of skill, then Winter needed to fix that in the off season, and either remove the guy bring in the bad players or make sure the right players are being found. If that isn't' happening then Winter screwed up and needed to be replace, and Mariner did and does too.
    The only way I can see that Winter didn't screw up this season more then the players is if Mariner intentionally sent him players that would work for him if he were coaching his way, and was trying to sabotage Winter. Every other scenario is left with Winter holding the bag.

Mariner now is left with a choice, do you try to keep working to bring about Winter's system and make a few tweaks to make it work, or do you look at the players and say, well if we change a few things here and there, we can win now with these players and we can work everything else out later.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we THINK MLSE is screwing us, but really if they are listening to the fans they should be applauded for that. Isnt that what a company should do? Listen to their customers?

We may just need to start looking in the mirror to find the root of TFC's problems.

All that said, I think a defensive game can still be exciting.
    You see this is the problem,they are not company,they are soccer club/team and should be run as one.
    When it comes who is coach is,or what players to sign we,fans are last one they should listen,but they do because they are not interested in success on the filed but more on their accounts.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You see this is the problem,they are not company,they are soccer club/team and should be run as one.
    When it comes who is coach is,or what players to sign we,fans are last one they should listen,but they do because they are not interested in success on the filed but more on their accounts.
    Agree 100%.

When it comes to cost of beer or seat relocation process then yes....the front office should listen to the supporters concerns.

When it comes to on field product the front office should hire a COMPETENT person to run the squad and that person shouldn't listen to the fans at all when it comes to the type of football that should be played/players that should be selected.

Otherwise you end up with the inmates running the asylum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, maybe fans, supporters, SSH's, have some sort of input on overall strategy but shouldn't be involved in any major way otherwise. Fans want attacking football, give them attacking football, but let the manager figure put how to make it happen.

The major issue with this team isn't the overall idea, it's that execution of the idea has been poor. Comes down to the wrong people chosen to be managers and a 'club president' without any background in the sport. I used to make fun of the whitecaps for having bob lenarduzzi, but when you figure out that our equivalent is a slimey corporporate douche ... It looks pretty good in comparison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great point, it's like letting your company be run by sales people. They focus soo much on what sells, they forget to take into account basically everything else

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So maybe the next TIFO should be 'DON'T LISTEN TO US'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So maybe the next TIFO should be 'DON'T LISTEN TO US'
    LOL, yes it should.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Tfc's re problem is they only listen to a select group of fans/people who to tend favour, hardworking get stuck in types who lack technical ability and end up being useless.

anybody with any sort of technical skill we ran them out.

Mlse just listens to the wrong fan voice, time and time again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recall several members, including one well-known ex-user here, saying they would rather lose but play an exciting scoring game, than win 1-0 playing Prekiball, while Preki was still here.

I also actually disagree that we have a really long way to go, to be a good team in MLS. We need a few good pieces, which can be found with enough competent scouting, and a proven coach to lead them. Hopefully Mariner can prove himself.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    I think Tfc's re problem is they only listen to a select group of fans/people who to tend favour, hardworking get stuck in types who lack technical ability and end up being useless.

anybody with any sort of technical skill we ran them out.

Mlse just listens to the wrong fan voice, time and time again.
    There's zero evidence of this. We've shipped lots of blue collar players out - even ones who became "fan favourites" for a limited period of time, like Dan Gargan.

Our entire roster has been turned over multiple times. There's no evidence of favouring certain types of players, because they all inevitably have been shipped out. And the only explicitly "technical" player who you could argue was "run out of town", might be DeRo. And even then, that was for things that took place off the pitch, and a specific incident on the pitch - not because of how he played the game. The guy was a widespread fan favourite until people started to stake positions over his behind-the-scenes contract politics.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

442 - maintaining wing play

----------------------kocic-------------------------
    -------------henry-----------cann-----------------
    -eckersley--------------------------morgan------
    --------------frings-----de guzman---------------
    -------soolsma-----------------johnson-----------
    ----------------------plata-------------------------
    -------------------kovermans---------------------

subs - lambe>soolsma, silva>plata, avila>johnson

modified 442 - playing the ball on the ground through the centre:

-----------------------kocic------------------------
    -----------------------henry-----------------------
    ---------eckersley------------morgan------------
    ----------------------stinson----------------------
    --------frings--------------------de guzman------
    ----------------avila--------silva------------------
    -----------------------plata------------------------
    --------------------kovermans--------------------

subs - dunfield>stinson, burgos>avilla, cordon>silva

two completely different methods, formations and players involved

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some interesting stuff on TFC's website today. Seems 4-4-2 is here to stay, although we'll find out for sure in the next five days or so with the two games we have. I really believe that's a bad use of our current team. Looks like Soolsma and Plata are basically spare parts in the formation. Plata is an out and out winger. He doesn't play defence well enough to be a midfielder, and he can't stand up to the phyiscal play in the centre of the pitch. We paid a lot for a guy we've now made redundant. Looks like Lambe will be the first choice on the right. I like Lambe, but this leaves Soolsma, who has improved by leaps and bounds since he came to TFC, on the bench. I think Mariner has alienated a player who should be a regular starter.

We still reallly have no one to play left. Avila turned out to be a surprise playing at left forward from his regular central role, but I didn't like him at all as a left midfielder. He also doesn't play defence well enough. Maybe Hall should be considered there?

Anyway, will be interesting to see how the next five days or so unfold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Some interesting stuff on TFC's website today. Seems 4-4-2 is here to stay, although we'll find out for sure in the next five days or so with the two games we have. I really believe that's a bad use of our current team. Looks like Soolsma and Plata are basically spare parts in the formation. Plata is an out and out winger. He doesn't play defence well enough to be a midfielder, and he can't stand up to the phyiscal play in the centre of the pitch. We paid a lot for a guy we've now made redundant. Looks like Lambe will be the first choice on the right. I like Lambe, but this leaves Soolsma, who has improved by leaps and bounds since he came to TFC, on the bench. I think Mariner has alienated a player who should be a regular starter.

We still reallly have no one to play left. Avila turned out to be a surprise playing at left forward from his regular central role, but I didn't like him at all as a left midfielder. He also doesn't play defence well enough. Maybe Hall should be considered there?

Anyway, will be interesting to see how the next five days or so unfold.
    A surprise because if you have a right footed central midfielder and you want to play him as a left midfielder. Thats surprising. I hope the season ends quick, but I have a feeling it will end right after the transfer window is over and we might even see another coaching change and end up with Jim Brennan as the manager.

This is my preference, 4-4-1-1:

-----------------------Kocic----------------------
    Eckersley-----Cann------------Henry-------Morgan
    --------------------------------------------------
    ------------DeGuzman----------Frings-------------
    Silva---------------------------------------Johnson
    -----------------------Avila-----------------------
    --------------------Koevermans-------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    A surprise because if you have a right footed central midfielder and you want to play him as a left midfielder. Thats surprising. I hope the season ends quick, but I have a feeling it will end right after the transfer window is over and we might even see another coaching change and end up with Jim Brennan as the manager.

This is my preference, 4-4-1-1:

-----------------------Kocic----------------------
    Eckersley-----Cann------------Henry-------Morgan
    ------------DeGuzman----------Frings-------------
    Silva---------------------------------------Johnson
    -----------------------Avila-----------------------
    --------------------Koevermans-------------------

By suprise I meant that he looked pretty good there, especially against RSL. But yeah, he's right footed as you said, so a surprise there too. Playing as an inverted winger I guess. Playing as a midfielder you don't get the same chances to cut in as playing mid, and lose much of that advantage. Less accurate crossing off your wrong foot too.